Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it looks way tinier and boxier tho. I've got islanders and I'm not really seeing it being that close. Feels more like Townscaper with gameplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

have u heard of super smash bros

there's a whole genre of smash clone "platform fighters" on pc now complete with all the 1-button special moves. rivals of aether, brawlhalla, slap city, the nickelodeon one, multiversus (wait didn't they unrelease this one?)

Smash is easier than others in that regard but it does still have the issue that most fighting games have where there's a tier where you learn your way into what you have to do to execute certain attacks and then a whole second tier above that focused around using those attacks to do 50 hit combos. Smash bros helps with the first but for the second it's just as bad as the rest, if not worse since attacks come out *so* fast.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The funny thing is that for even the gimmick projects that have two buttons (i.e. divekick) and old imbalanced poo poo from the 90s FG players still naturally destroy because they're good at 1) decisionmaking and 2) getting the first hit from neutral, the two most important facets to any fighting game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Divekick is extremely good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Neat new store feature in some countries. I know browser extensions have done stuff like this for years, but hopefully this rolls out further (even if it is basically a bare minimum thing to fulfill a legal obligation)

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/1664912800806842370

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone know if the "perk master" coffee looking thing in System Shock 2023 is interactable?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you have to reploy it first

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DarkDobe posted:

I worked on this game.
I would love to take another stab at making something like it again.
I would absolutely include more confederate-mowing levels.
What was the deal with the Australian Corporate/WHS voice-over lady?

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I played a bit of STASIS: BONE TOTEM over the weekend and its weird how many art styles it cycles through. The main game is a grungy fallout-like 3D isometric point & click, but it cuts to some really high production value cinematic cutscenes, and then back to low-quality text and audio log screens, and then the puzzles have a shittiness to them that reminds me of early iPhone puzzle games.

All things said it works and the game is fun, but it's a weird experience.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Any opinions on Gunfire Reborn ? Good enough for some single player?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Watchdog 2 is the one one you guys like, right?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I had a lot of fun with it. The characters had actual character (even if it was internet brain-poisoned in many ways, or safely-written "wacky" in others), a lot of the collectibles had neat environmental puzzles around them that often used the RC car and drone, and the writers at least understood on a surface level that tech-bros are not your friends and that the internet of things is stupid and dangerous.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

fit em all up in there posted:

It's fantastic, and absolutely.

Edit: It is absolutely a first person roguelike with metaprogression and that kind of thing so if you are looking for one of those to play it is one of the better options imo.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 5, 2023

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Sloppy posted:

Yep. Especially so if you really like games where you can watch the AI factions fight each other!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah it's great. I only play single player and it's a ton of fun. Lots of characters with different abilities, tons of different guns with fun gimmicks, and a very charming art style. One of the vanishingly rare FPS roguelikes that actually has good gun feel, imo.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's well-regarded, and they definitely don't overcharge for the DLC.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Sloppy posted:

Sleeping dogs

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Imagine Borderlands 2 without the writing, and a roguelite, and short enough that you can get through a run in an hour

it's one of my favorites for all of the above

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

EDIT: THought this was the Snap thread whoops

Artelier fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 5, 2023

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The latest expansion for Gunfire Reborn added a weapon that's just a brick you throw at your enemies.

https://i.imgur.com/Dogdn0J.mp4

If you get a crit, it drops a little sparkly powerup that turns the brick gold, and guarantees the next shot will crit!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sloppy posted:

It's the best one of the trilogy but be prepared for a lot of what middle aged marketing majors think that hackers are like.

It's definitely the least self-serious one which is key. Legion was six miles up it's own rear end and in the original Aiden Pierce is basically an unsympathetic terrorist without even the dignity to be funny about it.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The first one is kinda funny if you just lean into the main dude being a complete moron.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Watchdogs 1 secretly rules as long as you understand that Aiden Pearce is a broken, loathsome piece of poo poo.

I think 2 is slightly overrated because the gameplay just doesn't come together very well. Like, yeah, you can do clever things with the RC car or the drone or the gang call-in powers but it turns out that you might as well do that for like 90% of the game because it's almost always effective to a foolproof degree. Meanwhile non-lethal takedowns feel awful to play around but lethal comes off as egregiously out of character. The characters and story and game world are altogether more fun than the first game though.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 5, 2023

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

hell yeah i've been sucking at street fighter for 30 years and it's time to continue that fine tradition

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Watch Dogs 2 is surprisingly great. It's the only good game Ubisoft has made in ages.
I found a lot of the characters to be at least somewhat endearing, and I'm the kind of person that has an extremely low tolerance for modern "funny" character quip cringe and "Whedonisms".

Also...in my opinion at least, it has one of the few good autism representations in gaming. Or in media in general actually. It's super rare.

John Murdoch posted:

Watchdogs 1 secretly rules as long as you understand that Aiden Pearce is a broken, loathsome piece of poo poo.

Nah it still sucks even then. Even ignoring the main character all the events are boring or suck and all the other character also either boring or suck. Except Jordi, he can stay.

John Murdoch posted:

I think 2 is slightly overrated because the gameplay just doesn't come together very well. Like, yeah, you can do clever things with the RC car or the drone or the gang call-in powers but it turns out that you might as well do that for like 90% of the game because it's almost always effective to a foolproof degree. Meanwhile non-lethal takedowns feel awful to play around but lethal comes off as egregiously out of character. The characters and story and game world are altogether more fun than the first game though.

Doing all the missions remotely, using drones and hacking, without even entering the building IS the cool and the unique thing. Of course you would do it 90% of the time. Because it loving rules.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 5, 2023

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

My headcanon was that the melee was non-lethal. In gameplay mechanics it isn't but it was fun to use that method as my primary way of sneaking into a place, coupled with the RC car and the drone.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Pylons posted:

My headcanon was that the melee was non-lethal. In gameplay mechanics it isn't but it was fun to use that method as my primary way of sneaking into a place, coupled with the RC car and the drone.

Yeah, same. It makes no sense for the yoyo to be a lethal weapon.
I only ever use the yoyo and the taser weapons in that game. It fit both thematically and I'm 100% sure that the core gameplay was built around it and only later some suit complained about the game having no guns.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Its video games, if you can't accept that using a rock in a sock to cause enough brain damage to knock someone unconscious for several minutes is non-lethal then you're going to have a bad time.

I played the game as non-lethally as possible because it didn't really work for me to have my Micky Mouse Hackers Club of fun loving rebels gunning down people by the dozen with neon colored guns. The hacking was generally improved overall with the new toys and a lot of systems in general just kind of worked better.

I agree with others about the first game being more tolerable if you just think about Pierce as a menace but at the same time you still have to spend all game controlling the fucker.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's not a yoyo, it's an 8-ball on a bungee cord. Maybe not instantly lethal, especially against security guys with helmets, but still ouch.

FWIW, I believe the game's director pretty much outright said "yeah go ahead and treat melee takedowns as non-lethal".

For me personally, there's just too many edge case problems because the game's systems aren't robust enough. You can tase people, but you can't snap their necks afterwards or otherwise knock them out for good with anything other than a bullet. You can knock people out with melee, but you can't move bodies and the game's got that patented Ubisoft AI that magically starts homing in on your position as soon as you destabilize something. The game wants you to use non-lethal traps, but that same AI will path enemies towards anyone you knock out and even if it doesn't they'll eventually wake up and sound the alarm anyway so what was the point. Very, very occasionally you can do a slick hit and run where you zap everyone and then gently caress off before any of that happens, but in bigger areas/missions it just doesn't work well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

It's not a yoyo, it's an 8-ball on a bungee cord. Maybe not instantly lethal, especially against security guys with helmets, but still ouch.

FWIW, I believe the game's director pretty much outright said "yeah go ahead and treat melee takedowns as non-lethal".

For me personally, there's just too many edge case problems because the game's systems aren't robust enough. You can tase people, but you can't snap their necks afterwards or otherwise knock them out for good with anything other than a bullet. You can knock people out with melee, but you can't move bodies and the game's got that patented Ubisoft AI that magically starts homing in on your position as soon as you destabilize something. The game wants you to use non-lethal traps, but that same AI will path enemies towards anyone you knock out and even if it doesn't they'll eventually wake up and sound the alarm anyway so what was the point. Very, very occasionally you can do a slick hit and run where you zap everyone and then gently caress off before any of that happens, but in bigger areas/missions it just doesn't work well.

It's a problem when it comes to direct confrontation but the real strength of the game is that most of the time you can achieve an objective without even coming in contact with an enemy through gadgets and camera hacking which is where the game really shines.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I just don't enter the buildings I need to infiltrate at all, so the AI doesn't chase me.
:shrug:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Zapf Dingbat posted:

hell yeah i've been sucking at street fighter for 30 years and it's time to continue that fine tradition

God I haven't played SF since 4 and I'm being absolute shite at 6. :(

It's not stopping me from modding my fightstick into a leverless and giving it a try though. :getin:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's a problem when it comes to direct confrontation but the real strength of the game is that most of the time you can achieve an objective without even coming in contact with an enemy through gadgets and camera hacking which is where the game really shines.

Like I said, it's cool but it stops being cool the hundredth time you do it. Especially because the RC car magically teleports things directly to you so most of the time you can just suicide run it to the objective (and even then you can always press the recall button before it gets destroyed). There's just not a lot of depth to it.

Edit: The one I always think of is the Scientology headquarters. You can technically do it all remotely, but it's very finicky and clearly not designed for it (especially since the mission ends with Marcus himself inside the place for a cutscene). But then on the other hand an earlier mission in the same chain has an alternate cutscene for if you do it using the RC car, so clearly they anticipated it there.

Either way there's something like a 70/30 split of stuff you can just use the RC car for vs. stuff that explicitly forces you to get into the thick of things. And yeah, I know you can cheese some of those too. Point is I didn't want a challenge-free RC car simulator, I wanted a real stealth game.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 5, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Watch_Dogs 2 was an excellent stealth game with impressive cat and mouse gameplay, but you can only experience that when you go online and try to hack ppl

had a ton of fun blending into crowds, hiding in diners, driving around the scissor lift, or causing accidents to draw away players that were getting close to catching me

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I still think it's funny that the all-knowing predictive AI flags the watch dogs 2 protagonist as a potential criminal, and you then go to prove the AI absolutely right by becoming a criminal master hacker

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ymgve posted:

I still think it's funny that the all-knowing predictive AI flags the watch dogs 2 protagonist as a potential criminal, and you then go to prove the AI absolutely right by becoming a criminal master hacker

I mean it's basically Minority Report: The Game but with dumb hackspeak rather than vertical car chases.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

ymgve posted:

It's an actual problem with profiling in the real world. Pretty much any basis for pre-emptively treating someone as a criminal, especially if it has legal power behind it, tends to close off legitimate avenues in life and drive people toward criminality in a self-fulfilling prophecy. Offloading it to an algorithm wouldn't make it any better, since those just end up reflecting the biases of the programmers or whoever else got to define the criteria by which it profiles a person.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Watch_Dogs 2 was an excellent stealth game with impressive cat and mouse gameplay, but you can only experience that when you go online and try to hack ppl

had a ton of fun blending into crowds, hiding in diners, driving around the scissor lift, or causing accidents to draw away players that were getting close to catching me

The multiplayer in that game was really fun.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jack Trades posted:

Watch Dogs 2 is surprisingly great. It's the only good game Ubisoft has made in ages.
I found a lot of the characters to be at least somewhat endearing, and I'm the kind of person that has an extremely low tolerance for modern "funny" character quip cringe and "Whedonisms".

Also...in my opinion at least, it has one of the few good autism representations in gaming. Or in media in general actually. It's super rare.

Nah it still sucks even then. Even ignoring the main character all the events are boring or suck and all the other character also either boring or suck. Except Jordi, he can stay.

Doing all the missions remotely, using drones and hacking, without even entering the building IS the cool and the unique thing. Of course you would do it 90% of the time. Because it loving rules.

My favorite thing was calling in a hitman to kill one of the gang members in the building and then calling a SWAT team to come get the hitman and just strolling in through the resulting chaos to achieve my mission objective. I mean, I'm not killing anyone, it's just all these other assholes, right?

I liked that game a lot, especially after how disappointing the first one was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I just got Borderlands 3 off a humble bundle and was getting crazy frame drops (GTX 1080 so nothing crazy but should be able to handle it).

Then I tried downscaling the resolution on a whim and now it crashes when booting. I spent all morning downloading all 125gb of it so I figured i'd check if anyone knows solutions to one or both of these issues (i.e. where a config.ini file would be)