Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Is Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi any good? I love dungeon crawlers and this one looks big and engaging.

- Soul Hackers 2 turned out to be merely OK and kinda simplified, right?

Undernauts is really good, I played it on the switch and loved it. Lots of great QoL stuff and the theme is really cool. The games from that developer usually hew too close to the hardcore Wizardry clone style fort my taste, but this one hits a really nice balance.

Soul Hackers 2 is perfectly fine. I might hold off only because they announced a patch to fix a bunch of things a couple months ago, but still haven't released it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

secretly best girl posted:

Are you talking about the big quality of life patch? That happened in November.

Oh dang I totally missed it. I need to go finish that game now :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jack Trades posted:

I want more Nioh. It's the only game that solves the issues I have with the soulslike genre.

Wo Long is out in just a couple months, it looks great.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The 7th Guest posted:

FF12 is actually RTWP combat

Correct, and this is why it sucks.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

goferchan posted:

Dark Souls 3 is great and definitely the most refined entry of the trilogy but it loses a tiny bit of magic in that refinement. Dark Souls 2 feels like them coming off the high of Dark Souls being a surprise hit and saying "okay, if we got away with THAT, then let's try THIS" -- they hadn't quite figured out the formula of what makes the games stick at that point, so there are a lot of novel ideas in it. Some work, some don't, but that's the nature of new ideas.

edit: ^^^^ I think a lot of this applies to your post above. It's definitely a messy game but that also means there's a lot of cool and weird poo poo in it

Yeah, DS3 has my least favorite gameplay, you don't have a lot of options at the start and they brought too much Bloodborne into the combat, but it's also gorgeous and has some really amazing game design as well.

2 is the one I actually enjoyed playing the most, and spent the most time on. It's weird and messy, but that makes it all the more fascinating and fun to play around in.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Specifically, the argument goes that Cuphead is problematic because it isn't racist, while using an art style inspired by things that were racist.

It always struck me as odd because it's like... what were they supposed to do? It's just a platformer, there isn't really room for a nuanced exploration of a thorny topic like that.

Really, it's just people wanting to say "HEY DID YOU KNOW OLD CARTOONS ARE SUPER RACIST" and using Cuphead as an excuse to do so.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Skellige is weird because it's not really open world the way rest of the game is. You're basically visiting each island like it's a planet in a Bioware game and clearing out quests, the geography makes it absolutely terrible for wandering around. Heck, instead of making you sail to each island, they just have a vendor sell you maps that enable fast-travel.

I definitely got the impression that they had some big idea for it that never got finished. It also has the problem where like... going there the first time is a big, momentous event, and then you don't actually accomplish much and end up zipping back and forth multiple times just to follow the main plot.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Artelier posted:

Can someone help me with Astlibra? Specifically, the volcano area boss. Is there a trick to the boss or is it really a "Only possession skills can reach the weak point" or is there maybe a skill I missed somewhere in this level that could help?

Also, if there's a thread I'd appreciate being pointed that way instead. :)

Which boss? I don't remember having trouble with either of them, though the second one has a shitload of health.

If you're having trouble, make sure you're both spending your grains in the GROW map, and are using all your scale pans. It makes a big difference!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ninjoatse.cx posted:

If i know nothing of One Piece, is One Piece Odyssey a good game?

No.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Artelier posted:

Thanks everyone! Beat it before checking back in this thread by *sigh* being patient and taking like 15-20 minutes doing a slow, turtling, Wind Tiger strat.

But I do have another question now. Does Astlibra have multiple endings/paths or are the choices fluff? Because I am in the next chapter and Astraea is asking me to make a deal with her.

Ehh, not really. There are a couple points where you can give the wrong answer on dialogue and get an alternate ending, but it's always obvious that it's not the TRUE ending.

And thankfully it's never after a boss fight.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

explosivo posted:

Steam thread, I finished P5R and was thinking about keeping this train rolling and checking out Yakuza Like a Dragon but I've never played a Yakuza game before. I really liked the social stuff and numbers-going-up aspect of P5R but also was surprised with how much I loved the turn based combat. Is Like a Dragon going to scratch a similar itch and also is it going to be okay jumping into this series at Yakuza 7?

Yakuza 7 is great, but it's definitely designed more as "a Yakuza game with turn-based combat" than "a JRPG with a Yakuza theme", if that makes any sense. The combat is closer to Dragon Quest, so it's not as complex as P5.

It works fine as an entry point for the series though, has a new protagonist and everything. There are references to old games, but it's nothing critical.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

KazigluBey posted:

When it comes to Nioh, game 1 seems to have good reviews around the 70% mark, while Nioh 2 lands around 85%+. Nioh 1 goes for deep discounts during sales. With all that in mind, if I am interested in trying these games out, should I start with 1, or just jump to the better received 2 right away?

I think it's better to at least try 1 first. The sequel is better in every way, which makes it really hard to go back to the first after you play it. Also the sequel kind of assumes you know the basic mechanics and starts layering on more immediately, so it could be overwhelming.

But, Nioh 2 is way better, and the plot actually starts before the first game chronologically, so it's perfectly fine to start there.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Trick Question posted:

The Nioh games are much more Ninja Gaiden than any other souls game. Honestly I find it hard to get into much else in the genre since playing them because they're all so much slower/more stiff in comparison

Yeah, the combat is so good, it kind of ruined Elden Ring for me. Also between the soul cores in 2 and all the special martial attacks stuff you can unlock, it feels more like you can fight bosses on an even level. Like you can also call upon bullshit attacks that give you super armor at a moment's notice.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah that strategy only works for chess, not anything that has an element of randomness (manjongg, all card games, etc).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's fun to look at the global stats for achievements, both to see how many people have not even booted a game or played it for an hour (usually a good 1/3 of all owners), or seeing how people chose in games with meaningful choices.

Pentiment has achievements for each person you can accuse of the murders, so you can easily see which are the most popular choices.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

pentyne posted:

also as a quick dumb aside, the ps5 duelsense edge controller is showing up as $200 on the playstation website

https://direct.playstation.com/en-u...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I agree the tech stuff sounds really cool but holy poo poo it's not $200 worth of cool.

I guess this is a deluxe version, the normal one is $70?

Yeah, notice how that one isn't even being released until next week, it's their version of the xbox "elite" controller or whatever.

It's funny to me that both Microsoft and Sony are selling these wildly overpriced controllers that still don't use hall effect sticks, so they will inevitably develop stick drift and become paperweights.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

pentyne posted:

Anyone know what is going to happen with Marvel Avengers after they delist it?

Seems like a dumb but fun comic action game with a decent enough plot that just farted out various 'expansions' in an irregular manner.

Will the game be playable or is that gaas infrastructure going to mean it locks you out of like half of the stuff?

They've said it will continue working as a game for the foreseeable future, even multiplayer, and they're making all the previously pay-only cosmetics free.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Labyrinth of Refrain is a very weird game, the tone is all over the place but the gameplay is pretty solid. Lots of fun exploration mechanics, and weird little exploits in the combat (as is usual for NIS games).

As an example: every party member you create (they're like wooden dolls animated with magic) has you set a "lucky number" between 1 and 999. Deep in the game, you find out that there is a very powerful pact that can only be used by characters with an even lucky number. There's a ton of weird min/max stuff like that, it's about figuring out the ways to break the system more than just playing it straight.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mescal posted:

code vein $9 or nioh 2 $30?

edit: looks like Nadir is out of EA today? sale on that too

Nioh 2, for sure.

I liked Code Vein okay, but Nioh 2 is the best soulslike there is.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Barry Convex posted:

Radio the Universe - this was infamously funded via Kickstarter over a decade ago in 2012, but based on the demo, this is the rare case where an extremely long dev cycle might actually be justified by the final product. Incredible atmosphere, with pixel art with just the right of detail, cutscenes that hint at a deeper story while leaving a lot to the imagination, and a perfectly ominous musical score, but it also plays extremely well too, with snappy and responsive controls and satisfying combat; also appreciated that there's an indicator that shows you where a jump will end up, which addresses some of the issues many top-down 2D games have with platforming from one elevation to another. My one real concern from my limited playtime is that the difficulty might be too high for my taste, since one hit kills you, but the game does autosave very frequently after every screen.

Yeah, I backed in when it was on kickstarter, and I am extremely happy with how it's turning out. The controls are fantastic, and the solution for platforming in an isometric game is really cool. It is totally committed to its aesthetic, but not to a degree where it gets in the way of playing the game. It's just a really good, weird Zelda clone.

Also, the combat is pretty hard, but there's an upgrade system, you can get more HP.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Volte posted:

I played a little bit of Nioh 2 last year on PS5 after beating Nioh 1, and I just picked it up on PC to give it another shot. I don't remember the movement being so....loving lovely? Half of my deaths so far have been from walking my stupid rear end off a bridge because I tried to turn around and apparently you have to walk in a giant goddamn circle in order to do anything other than an exact 180? It feels awful to control to the point where I spent close to 30 minutes trying to troubleshoot what's wrong with my controller because it gives me the same kind of feeling as trying to play with like 200ms of input lag, but I determined that's not the issue. I wonder if using an Xbox controller this time versus a DualSense last time changes the feel just enough that I kind of hate it.

Not to mention every basic enemy stunlocks me to death if they even get a single hit in, but I do remember that from Nioh 1.

I won't give up just yet though.

On the movement thing, I have no idea, I've never noticed that. Movement in those games always feels much more precise and smooth than in From's games.

And yeah Nioh 2 is definitely a game where you want to avoid taking direct hits as much as possible. Especially early on when healing is a more limited resource (pro tip: set up auto-buying medicine at shrines ASAP). A lot of enemies have like combo attacks that you can dodge by just like... going to the side, once, instead of trying to block. It's a great opportunity to get some hits in, since they usually have a big cooldown after.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RC Cola posted:

Edit: also like someone was saying a page or 2 back I bounced off hard on Nioh 2. I played for 5 or so hours and couldn't get into it like Nioh 1. Anyone have a recommendation for 2 fun weapons to focus on? I want to try it again

Fists are really fun, and you can pair them with either axe or kusarigama to get something with more punch (ironically) or range.

Switchglaive is fun, but almost makes the game too easy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Weedle posted:

if wolverine was trans and got bottom surgery would her dick just grow back? asking for a friend.

No, the form his body regenerates into is somewhat dependent on his mental self-image. This is why his hair always grows back to the proper length and style whenever he regenerates.

This is why it's perfectly reasonable to imagine Wolverine as a trans man!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ragequit posted:

Octopath Traveler 2 is cozy as hell so far. It was snowing out last night, so I settled next to the fireplace and got a few hours in on the Deck. I only have 2 of the protagonists so far, but the music is top notch and the writing/voice work is great. My man Partition is ready to seize the means of production and eat the rich, and I am here for it.

It improves on Octopath Traveler in every way that I have noticed. A must play if you enjoyed the first one.

I will cosign this.

Started on the opposite side of the world, with Temenos the inquisitor, I've also picked up the thief and hunter and it's just great. Huge improvement in every way. It feels a lot less rigid in its structure, after the intro some characters have multiple options for the next step, you start getting dedicated secondary jobs a lot sooner, and each character has more complex mechanics.

It also looks great, boss sprites have more animations and different poses, and it runs at 120fps!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FutureCop posted:

Was looking to see if I could get some quick impressions on games I was thinking of snatching up during this sale.

One I was looking at was Gedonia which has reached 1.0 but is still getting post-content: any opinions on whether I could keep waiting for further development, or if it's ready to go in now? If it's good to go now, I was curious if there a certain type of build that is best-suited for the game, unless everything really is well-balanced. To clarify, I'm not looking for the most powerful or efficient build that makes the game easy, just one that feels like the game gave the most obvious design focus or depth to (like how Tyranny's magic system is so intricate you'd feel foolish missing out on it by going for simple melee), or a build you can't get in any other game (like how Mesmer is very unique for Guild Wars compared to more standard RPG classes).

It's about as done as it's ever going to be, in terms of polish and basic gameplay. The stuff that's being added is just like new areas to explore and new skill trees, nothing big and fundamental. If it looks interesting to you, go for it.

I had a lot of fun with a strength build, with two-handed weapons. Maxing out either strength or agility is nice because it makes the platforming easier, which makes exploration more fun. Even if you have zero intelligence, you can still use blood magic, which uses your own HP instead of MP.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Scalding Coffee posted:

I bet it is called Humongous because of Mad Max.

The sizes are probably related to its graphics. I forgot if it simply not loads extra features.

And voice acting! Those fancy full-screen talking heads took a lot of resources, I'm sure.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jossar posted:

I'd say if you can only pick one to go for Norco because some people find the dice system in Citizen Sleeper to be awkward, but they're both good.

Unrelated: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2363850/Tax_Heaven_3000/

...sure, why not. I guess that's art of a kind.

This is neat and all, but I don't think I would trust some random steam game with my social security number....

Wait a second, MSCHF? Those are the people who made the Big Fruit Loop

And, more recently, those Astro Boy boots

I didn't know they were branching out into "games".

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mescal posted:

which yakuza games have pool?

3, 4, 5, 0, and Kiwami.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

sebmojo posted:

I'm playing the open beta and enjoying Diablo 4! It's comically grim but I kind of like the deckard Cain fella I'm hanging out with and all the monster splattering is present and correct.

Performance is terrible in the open world with a 3070 and a recent amd chip though, they need to fix that. My skeleton friends are teleporting around like slasher movie baddies.

Yeah, I had awful performance, despite it not really looking much better than 3. Like I guess there's more detail, but the camera is so pulled out that it doesn't really matter, in regular gameplay.

Also, having lots of other online players appear in town, so you end up stuttering around and having unresponsive UI, feels like uhhh a bad idea?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

A bit Deckardish.

Somewhat Cainesque.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Gripper posted:

D3 was good because killing hordes of enemies was fun and it was very easy to find a fun-rear end build for killing those hordes of enemies. When you get to deep endgame the balance flips and you're stuck with fewer (or one) option, but the trick is that you're allowed to stop playing whenever you want, including when the game sucks or isn't as fun as it used to be.

I think most people hit a skill/effort or time wall before long they'd really butt up against any of the real build issues.

Yeah, I played that game for hundreds of hours and never felt like my options were limited. I also never had to look up builds from external sources in order to have fun.

But I guess that's an insignificant amount of time for most ARPG fans :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mescal posted:

what's the thing that makes combat easy in yakuza0? am i supposed to be doing stuff in the city during the intro chapters? and leveling or something? i'm used to being spoonfed, so imagine my surprise when i was in my third battle without any potions or skills but two. i know i'm missing something basic cause i'm getting killed on easy while kiryu fights kuzes mooks

Did you happen to pick up and equip an accessory described as "charismatic"?

The game is intentionally unclear about this, but equipping that makes enemies insanely aggressive. Like basic enemies will mop the floor with you and barely give you a chance to get attacks in. It's supposed to be a challenge mode thing, in exchange for having good stats.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Has Steam been a flaming wreck for anyone else in the past few months? Store pages frequently fail to load and purchases frequently fail to go through. It seems to play nicer in the browser than the app now.

Edit: I even had some "in library" flags missing on a big sale page. That's new.

Double edit: Also wishlisting takes multiple attempts now.

Nope, not at all, it's been working fine. Are you behind on steam updates, maybe?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Monolith

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mr E posted:

I’m just glad lord of the rings online is somehow still around because I really enjoy getting blazed and exploring that world.

drat, it is? That's wild, I played that game a ton like a decade ago, when the Mirkwood expansion came out.

They must be all the way in Mordor by now, huh.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

exquisite tea posted:

I'm holding out until they release the Tom Bombadil endgame zone.

Oh he's been in it from the start, and Goldberry. There's like a whole sidequest chain involving them, where you end up having to fight the evil Old Man Willow, and as part of the main quest he rescues you from the barrow wights just like in the book.

They love to go deep on lore in that game (and make up a bunch of new lore).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mescal posted:

explain touhou

What if there were a bunch of girls who were like mythological figures with vast cosmic powers, but they only used them to play dodgeball and get drunk afterwards.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mescal posted:

They certainly look like command line arguments, but I see no instructions for use as same. Can you launch `steam -novid` and any game will skip the video if possible? or `steam appid -novid`? `steam /location/of/game.exe -novid`?

I believe you just put 'em in this little box:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

fit em all up in there posted:

Any opinions on Gunfire Reborn ? Good enough for some single player?

Yeah it's great. I only play single player and it's a ton of fun. Lots of characters with different abilities, tons of different guns with fun gimmicks, and a very charming art style. One of the vanishingly rare FPS roguelikes that actually has good gun feel, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The latest expansion for Gunfire Reborn added a weapon that's just a brick you throw at your enemies.

https://i.imgur.com/Dogdn0J.mp4

If you get a crit, it drops a little sparkly powerup that turns the brick gold, and guarantees the next shot will crit!