Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I checked chapter 305 and he says slaves deserve it because they have neither the motiviation nor the intelligence to exist with rights.

He has said all he needed to say about the issue of slavery back in chapter 305

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe I'll just wait for Trigger to release Dungeon Meshi. Skip the isekai, keep eating the food.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Namtab posted:

I have said all I need to about the issue of slavery back in chapter 305

Do I want to know what they said in chapter 305

Nitrousoxide posted:

I checked chapter 305 and he says slaves deserve it because they have neither the motiviation nor the intelligence to exist with rights.

No.

It turns out I did not want to know.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

People asking the questions I already answered in chapter 305

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think we should talk about AotY Reborn to Master the SwordBlade some more instead

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

fyi

the anime probably won't get that far, though.
having a lol at this incredible strawman

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Eminence In Shadow finally got to the Moonlight Sonata scene :haw:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

fyi

the anime probably won't get that far, though.

loving isekai, why you gotta be like this
:negative:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oh I'm sorry, I confused the translator/editor's thoughts on slavery with one of the reply guys'. It was a reply guy who said "actually, slavery is good because slaves are dumb and lazy".

The translation team says this:

Which is still basically "well actually slavery in many societies was not the chattel slavery of the southern US and you shouldn't think it's all bad immediately"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
"Except this one totally is, I mean obviously."

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if you think about it, some slaves can command other slaves, so it's not all bad.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
"Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a cute girl for a slave, because in this system, the slave gets their pick of master for their first three months of slavery, and they all turned me down."

What... do these people think slavery is?

e: the slaves get paid to work off their freedom, this is just indentured servitude temp agency.

"Three months after they become slaves," how is that supposed to happen exactly? Is there slave HR onboarding?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 25, 2023

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Caphi posted:

e: the slaves get paid to work off their freedom, this is just indentured servitude temp agency.

It'd be really funny* if the Japanese word for both is the same word.

*not funny

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Whoof, Bofuri S2 shifted suddenly into CGI animation for the main fight scene in this episode and it was rough. Stuck out even more since S1 had some really good fight animation.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Winter 2023: Every Production Collapses Everywhere All At Once.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Omnicrom posted:

Whoof, Bofuri S2 shifted suddenly into CGI animation for the main fight scene in this episode and it was rough. Stuck out even more since S1 had some really good fight animation.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I assume that's not supposed to be a magic arm.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Maera Sior posted:

I assume that's not supposed to be a magic arm.

Sadly no, the magic arm looked a lot better when they showed it off.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I see they also seem to have fallen into the trap of rendering motion in twos with no motion blur

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I thought I was going crazy when I saw the quality drop so suddenly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The industry saw people doomsaying G-Witch's production because of a couple tight schedules and some prime time programming preemptions and said "I'll show you a REAL disaster"

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

The industry saw people doomsaying G-Witch's production because of a couple tight schedules and some prime time programming preemptions and said "I'll show you a REAL disaster"

At least it's not EX-ARM I suppose

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hunt11 posted:

I thought I was going crazy when I saw the quality drop so suddenly.
The next Buttlord attempt is going to have to update the joke to "oh no, you activated the Overworked CGI studio comprised of dude's trained on Monty Oum videos!"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
. . .

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While not amazing the 3D cg was passable enough in Bofuri and also probably was done to make the scene feel ps1 era ish

Plus the devs scored a victory over Maple! They did damage!

(It was terrain damage but damage none the less)

(That looney tunes fade out was great)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the opening joke in the latest Eminence in Shadow is the first time the show has been legitimately funny in a bit. it hasn't really been bad otherwise but that one actually got a genuine laugh out of me

i do also appreciate that the mc's army of Charlie's Angels are getting increasingly abstract in their ability to copy things from his world somehow. it's a very basic premise but putting it semi-inexplicably in the hands of the supporting cast makes it much funnier

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 27, 2023

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
"Revenger" is a malapropism of an adjective for revenge, right? Because it's the third place I've seen it being used this way, firstly in Tokyo Revengers (which I have admittedly not watched), and some character Elden Ring named Edgar the Revenger.

Anyway, it is a pretty good show. Lots of meat for anyone familiar with pre-Perry late Edo era. When the samurai's status was rapidly eroding in the face of the rice bushel's inflation as the rest of Japan's economy expanded in peacetime. Plus a weird heretical Catholic cult, which seems to be outright fabricating passages from the bible. Well that has an old tradition pre-Reformation. They're laying it pretty thickly that there is a parallel between Kurima being tricked into murdering people for no reason, and same with Usui's little group.

I hope there's room for some really dramatic poo poo to go down, like Perry barging in with his Black Ships, and then the later Anglo-Satsuma war where their castle town got shelled by English gunboats. I mean one of the characters is literally from there, and that is part of the catalyst as to how Satsuma was able to militarize so hard and bring down the Tokugawa during the Meiji restoration.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

revenger is a real word, its in webster's

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It's American English, a language in which anything is a real word.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

revenger is a real word, its in webster's

Lmao

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

if i google revenger i get the anime then a vape pen with an lcd screen

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah it's an archaic word which mostly fell out of use

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

A world in which Disney owns the term “Avengers”

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

in the urobuchi show it's also a pun, the group calls themselves 利便事屋 (ribenjiya) as a euphemism for dirty work (killing)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
metal gear rising revengers

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Alll the dictionary talk made me check out Revengers (a word not in the dictionary). Guess I can go for a round on the Urobuchi carousel.

Tales of Woe posted:

maou gakuin is the funniest show ever made

Really? I watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 and it was just doing the boring power fantasy thing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

genericnick posted:

Really? I watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 and it was just doing the boring power fantasy thing.

:same:

But some people just really love that stuff/find it funny :shrug:

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the newest episode of buddy daddies was very good. love the thirsty moms chatting about the buddy daddies loving their husbands

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Tales of Woe posted:

in the urobuchi show it's also a pun, the group calls themselves 利便事屋 (ribenjiya) as a euphemism for dirty work (killing)

Okay this, and the deliberate anachronism, makes alot of sense. I'd also like to posit a third option: it sounds alot better in japanese to finish a word with the -a vowel, rather than weird-rear end -enge syllable found in english.

I know Edo-era revenge stories have a long history, but there is an actual samurai institution for formalized blood vengeance that took place under the Tokugawa shogunate. It was a way for ideological justification for the existence of the warrior elite caste in an era where war was finished. It required permission from the shogun and the daimyo, and the daimyo was obligated to continue supporting them with a stipend. And it could only be used to take revenge on behalf of direct blood relatives (fathers and brothers, but not sons), and it could not spin off into a cycle of vengeance, someone who'd been killed this way cannot be used to apply for another license by their son.

Most of those stories are kind of boring though, usually involving them hanging around in castle towns wearing a basket over their head waiting for their target to show up.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

In a "Why is this getting a sequel" category, Magical Girl Raising Project is getting a new anime

https://twitter.com/naobou_official/status/1619706119857012737

Not that the first series didn't have some decent ideas but it just end up going for shocking twists just to be edgy and dark. Really what Madoka critics think Madoka is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive heard the novels had a bit more meat to them but the anime kinda cut that stuff down to get to the more shocking bits. who knows tho i didnt read it