Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I had a decent enough time with Magical Girl Raising Project so heck, I'll check out the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I've also heard that according to book readers the first one that they adapted is also the weakest one and it's the later ones that get people really excited. I don't know if I'll be watching this, but I'm curious what folks are going to wind up saying about it.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
If Snow White and Ripple are there, I'll check it out. For whatever issues the show had, I grew to like a lot of those characters and want to keep up with them/meet more.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Mou Ippon continuing to strut its stuff for another week, this time with some fantastic Judo action. In a mid-card kind of season this is a hell of a mid-card show.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Endorph posted:

ive heard the novels had a bit more meat to them but the anime kinda cut that stuff down to get to the more shocking bits. who knows tho i didnt read it

Also only the first arc is really a madoka clone.

Of course even there the conclusion was vastly different, but the anime kind of ruined all of it, so :shrug:. Maybe they'll somehow ruin the second arc to make it a madoka clone.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I forgot most of what happened in magical girl raising project but i remember it being really loving miserable

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I also remember a really gratuitous shot of a woman peeing herself as she hanged herself after her gf died.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Namtab posted:

I also remember a really gratuitous shot of a woman peeing herself as she hanged herself after her gf died.

ok this show is definitely going onto the "gently caress off with that poo poo" list

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Srice posted:

I had a decent enough time with Magical Girl Raising Project so heck, I'll check out the sequel.

Namtab posted:

*sucking air through teeth*

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

its not the kind of thing we can't talk about, its just not something id watch again

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Namtab posted:

One of them definitely hung themselves, but I don't recall that other part at all. None of the clips I could find show anything like that.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
its an edgy death game series i think we can skip the "oh oof yikes that sure sounds like an edgy death scene" tedium

that said its quite a bit different from thinking "yeah he probably deserved to die" while watching final destination or battle royale or something. in this anime its like "oh this 13 year old is a sweetheart i hope she doesnt die. ah, hm. rip"

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 30, 2023

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

One of them definitely hung themselves, but I don't recall that other part at all. None of the clips I could find show anything like that.

because all the clips dont show the whole scene, trust me

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

finger on the monkey's paw curls after wishing to discuss something other than this season's isekai slog

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

i've just watched tomo so far.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
im watching the genderbend show [doesnt elaborate] and i have tenten ready to go because its gay and people seem rly pleased with the adaptation pacing (anime that dont try to speedrun 5 LN volumes in 1 cour ftw)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Bofuri continues to be fun.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've completely lost the plot in Misfit of Demon King Academy. It feels like they're just flipping out betrayals and what not out of no where with absolutely no build up whatsoever.

It's also got a frankly enormous cast, and only like 3 people have any characterization (Anos and the 2 girls) so I have a hard time remembering who any of the rest of his student crew are supposed to be.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've completely lost the plot in Misfit of Demon King Academy. It feels like they're just flipping out betrayals and what not out of no where with absolutely no build up whatsoever.

ah, a Ranking of Kings,

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
buddy daddies is cooler than spy x family the anime

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's also got a frankly enormous cast, and only like 3 people have any characterization (Anos and the 2 girls) so I have a hard time remembering who any of the rest of his student crew are supposed to be.

Watch the superior show about a demon academy with a large cast, Iruma-kun.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

buddy daddies is cooler than spy x family the anime

after loving akiba maid war and ya boy kongming i'm going to have to give buddy daddies a shot

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Xelkelvos posted:

Watch the superior show about a demon academy with a large cast, Iruma-kun.

It's got my favorite japanese VA, Saori Hayami, as Ameri. So maybe I should.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's got my favorite japanese VA, Saori Hayami, as Ameri. So maybe I should.

She's playing surprisingly far against type, too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Lupin vs Cat's Eye special was okay, better than most Lupin TV specials but not amazing. 3d cg was passable but way behind Trigun and D4DJ. Cats Eye kinda of played second fiddle too much as well

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Enjoying both Kaina and Fire Hunter (and Trigun, too), though I think they're both a little slow, possibly because they're both fairly ambitious in terms of what they're trying to do with their settings. But I like all the cool forms of transportation in both shows (gimme gimme fantasy trains) and the cast are broadly appealing -- if a bit generic, in Kaina's case.

The Fire Hunter, in particular, has quite a lot of ideas and not necessarily a lot of real estate to do the telling in; in addition to the two completely separate storylines most episodes divide up into, I got the sense it's setting up some sort of Scouring of the Shire type beat back in the premier. Anyone know how long it's meant to run for?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If anyone dropped Handyman Saitou In Another World because it was just a bunch of rapidfire skits that weren't related to any sort of ongoing story plot, episode 3 ended with a big discovery which tied all the different threads together and episodes 4 onwards are actually telling a story

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah I watched all of season 1 but I kinda zoned out towards the end when they did a big swerve and skipped out of the entire academy storyline for the main characters to timetravel back in time a few thousand years to do some other stuff, and now I'm pretty lost but still hanging in there

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nitrousoxide posted:

Pretty similar to S1, except there most of the enemies were related to Anos' prior life.

They're definitely setting up some poo poo about mysterious hooded girl being the Forest Spirit who locked away her memories after she fell in love with that one bodyguard dude that Anos' assigned to her and who probably died fighting that Anosu kid or whatever. maybe it'll be a big swerve or something.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If anyone dropped Handyman Saitou In Another World because it was just a bunch of rapidfire skits that weren't related to any sort of ongoing story plot, episode 3 ended with a big discovery which tied all the different threads together and episodes 4 onwards are actually telling a story

Still told in skit format though, so if you dislike the very idea of a skit format show Handyman Saitou was never for you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kwyndig posted:

Still told in skit format though, so if you dislike the very idea of a skit format show Handyman Saitou was never for you.

It gets less and less skitty as it goes along, later chapters of the manga were pretty much just regular stories

Also episode 4 of the anime covers up to chapter 32 of the manga and MangaDex currently only has up to chapter 63 translated so I guess the final third of the anime will be stuff that's new to MangaDex readers
https://mangadex.org/title/837e01d6-f59b-4c2a-b9f7-68469215d0c6/handyman-saitou-in-another-world

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’m not going to watch it. 2023 is the year I don’t support isekai

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

IseDIE

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

marumaru
May 20, 2013

sorry but im emotionally invested in a girl's attempts to destroy medieval society by selling them fish scalers

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The Lupin vs Cat's Eye special was okay, better than most Lupin TV specials but not amazing. 3d cg was passable but way behind Trigun and D4DJ. Cats Eye kinda of played second fiddle too much as well

Yeah it felt less like a crossover and more like a standard Lupin tv special formula but with the youngest Cat's Eye sister taking the role of the precocious teen that hangs out with Lupin for most of the movie. Makes it an alright enough watch but I can't help but feel there was so much wasted potential - Zenigata and Toshio joining up particularly felt odd because it never built up to anything you'd want to see with two characters working together.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

After I watched Ya Boy Kongming on a whim and loved it I decided to give Buddy Daddies 3 episodes on the back of it being PA Works. I'd been avoiding it because I figured I'd bounce off of it due to kid comedy.

It's fine. I think the assassins are charming, the aesthetic is cool, and I love the soundtrack. Miri doesn't really land for me - this show begs the comparison with Spy x Family, and I think Anya having psychic powers and being a little older than Miri makes her a lot more engaging as a character whereas Miri tends to just be a little more basic comic foil for fish out of water dads. I think if you enjoy that aspect you'll probably like this, as is I'll probably watch it if I've got time to kill because it's stylish and fun but it's not grabbing me super hard.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Fire Hunter, in particular, has quite a lot of ideas and not necessarily a lot of real estate to do the telling in; in addition to the two completely separate storylines most episodes divide up into, I got the sense it's setting up some sort of Scouring of the Shire type beat back in the premier. Anyone know how long it's meant to run for?

i believe they're adapting the whole novel in ~20 episodes

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Southern Cassowary posted:

After I watched Ya Boy Kongming on a whim and loved it I decided to give Buddy Daddies 3 episodes on the back of it being PA Works. I'd been avoiding it because I figured I'd bounce off of it due to kid comedy.

It's fine. I think the assassins are charming, the aesthetic is cool, and I love the soundtrack. Miri doesn't really land for me - this show begs the comparison with Spy x Family, and I think Anya having psychic powers and being a little older than Miri makes her a lot more engaging as a character whereas Miri tends to just be a little more basic comic foil for fish out of water dads. I think if you enjoy that aspect you'll probably like this, as is I'll probably watch it if I've got time to kill because it's stylish and fun but it's not grabbing me super hard.

I thought that episode 4 was the best one yet because it's just showing how much of a fish out of water they are when it comes to parenting and daycares.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ibblebibble posted:

I thought that episode 4 was the best one yet because it's just showing how much of a fish out of water they are when it comes to parenting and daycares.

Yeah I just watched that one - the bit with the group text was hilarious and I felt like the daycare grounded the parenting somewhat and gave it focus. Very curious to see where they go from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Southern Cassowary posted:

Yeah I just watched that one - the bit with the group text was hilarious and I felt like the daycare grounded the parenting somewhat and gave it focus. Very curious to see where they go from here.

Well it was an episode that was 99% parenting side so clearly they will balance it out with a 99% hitman side episode next right :v: