Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Oh drat, I'm terrible at sticking to schedules but I love watching sci-fi movies and reading Dash Canon comics. Tentatively sign me up but don't call me out when I fall completely off the wagon please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

A week late already but I watched partially-unfinished Polish sci-fi epic On the Silver Globe!

Made of up two large sections, one telling the story of five astronauts who have fled Earth to escape an unspecified oppression, the other the story of a man who arrives at the society they founded and is received as a messiah. Loved the weird, deeply unsettling mood of the founded tribe, an entire society founded on the neuroses of modernism. Everyone fixated on acting and representing. It's a shame that the lost sections include almost everything that introduces the proto-civilisation that Marek the astronaut arrives to find, it took me a good while to catch up there. Everything about the Shern is excellent. Would recommend.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

"The mightiest motion picture of them all" is an A+ tagline.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The only movie I've slotted in yet isn't on the list, lol.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

On the recommendation of CineD's resident chatbot SMG, I watched Warriors of Future 2023, Netflix.

Swiping from my letterboxd:

quote:

The black levels are consistently through the roof in a way that makes the CG environments look a few degrees more artificial than is strictly necessary. The two women characters are both pretty interesting and should have been given more to do. The kid's hair is an absolute mess.

Those are my only complaints really, with what is otherwise a tight, action-packed thriller. The guy dressed like Dr Strangelove (shout out to Soccer Dog 2: European Cup here) is up to no good and a motley band of heroes have to make good versus a giant evil plant and some inexplicable bug monsters. The helicopter stuff at the beginning is passable, there's solid hand-to-hand action in an abandonned hospital, there's a platforming section that's maybe a touch too long but delivers the goods, and there's an incredible robot chase scene that pulls from I, Robot, from Terminator 2, from Metal Gear. Great stuff.

Bonus points for having it appear that the plucky young child has been absolutely vapourised at one point, a play that Hollywood films wouldn't dare to even think about.

In the grand scheme of schlocky sci-fi, I'm not sure I'd recommend it over The Wandering Earth (2019) or The Tomorrow War (2021), but I did enjoy it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I really love Cloud Atlas, I'm glad you (on balance) liked it! I've just finished the book, which has a much stricter six-level structure to it, and some of the scenarios (notably neo-Seoul) have a bit more exposition and a bit less action. Otherwise extremely similar - impossible not to imagine Jim Broadbent in the Cavendish role.

The Wachowskis famously have a four-hour cut that they screen for friends. Dunno if having more of it would appeal to you, but I'd be very excited to see it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Sally posted:

Full disclosure: I do not care for Zack Snyder as a director.

As soon as astral acknowledges my petition for implementing a forty-year probation, you will regret this error in judgement!!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I keep watching films that aren't really sci-fi - a terrible habit, I know. I did watch the Flash, which I also thought was better than it had any right to be but also still not ultimately all that great. I'd agree that the baby scene was the highlight and the stuff with the DCEU characters was loving miserable, though you can't really blame a many-years-exiled Zack Snyder for that - it was the particular obsession of the outgoing round of execs to have Wonder Woman do a succession of sex jokes with the lasso of truth for some reason. I wrote the film up for the kind folks at Blood Knife for anyone interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Been years since I watched it but the Island of Dr Moreau doc is fantastic, yeah. Everyone involved is totally off their trolley.