Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lower down the rankings in Makushita Shishi sitting at Ms2 now has a 5-0 record that I think more or less guarantees him his first promotion into Juryo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

bessantj posted:

Lower down the rankings in Makushita Shishi sitting at Ms2 now has a 5-0 record that I think more or less guarantees him his first promotion into Juryo.

Yeah, especially with at least 2 spots opening up due to retirements (Ichinojo, Tochinoshin), and Chiyonokuni is 0-9 at J9w so unless he turns things around he might find himself giving up his slot as well.

Also there's currently two people undefeated in Juryo, I wonder if we end up seeing a zensho-yusho, there's only been 5 occurrences of a 15 win record in Juryo and all 5 were from men who eventually reached Ozeki (one reached Yokozuna).

Brut fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 22, 2023

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

Yeah, especially with at least 2 spots opening up due to retirements (Ichinojo, Tochinoshin), and Chiyonokuni is 0-9 at J9w so unless he turns things around he might find himself giving up his slot as well.

Also there's currently two people undefeated in Juryo, I wonder if we end up seeing a zensho-yusho, there's only been 5 occurrences of a 15 win record in Juryo and all 5 were from men who eventually reached Ozeki (one reached Yokozuna).

Gonoyama's sumo has really come along great.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
And Baruto would've been Yokozuna but Hakuho existed.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lid posted:

And Baruto would've been Yokozuna but Hakuho existed.

Ehhhhhh, I don't know about that. Baruto only has 1 Yusho from Ozeki, a 14-1 losing only to Hakuho, now if you turn that to a 15-0 nothing really changes so lets look at the adjacent two Basho, the one before the Yusho, he gets an 11-4 score which actually includes beating Hakuho, he was one of 4 people to get 11-4 in that basho but the Jun-Yusho went to Wakakoyu with a 12-3, since he was at M9 he and Baruto did not fight each other that basho. Looking at the one after the Yusho he did in fact lose to Hakuho, but he also lost to Kakuryu, Kotooshu, Kotoshogiku and Kisenosato, resulting in finishing with a 10-5 which is not exactly a Yusho equivalent performance, Hakuho and Kakuryu both ended that basho with a 13-2 record so at best Baruto could've handed the Yusho to Kakuryu, and there was still Goeido with a 12-3 in between them.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

anakha posted:

Day 9: MEISEI MOTHERFUCKERS

First time I've yelled out loud watching the video, what a match

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Ehhhhhh, I don't know about that. Baruto only has 1 Yusho from Ozeki, a 14-1 losing only to Hakuho, now if you turn that to a 15-0 nothing really changes so lets look at the adjacent two Basho, the one before the Yusho, he gets an 11-4 score which actually includes beating Hakuho, he was one of 4 people to get 11-4 in that basho but the Jun-Yusho went to Wakakoyu with a 12-3, since he was at M9 he and Baruto did not fight each other that basho. Looking at the one after the Yusho he did in fact lose to Hakuho, but he also lost to Kakuryu, Kotooshu, Kotoshogiku and Kisenosato, resulting in finishing with a 10-5 which is not exactly a Yusho equivalent performance, Hakuho and Kakuryu both ended that basho with a 13-2 record so at best Baruto could've handed the Yusho to Kakuryu, and there was still Goeido with a 12-3 in between them.
Just did a super quick look at who got the Jun-Yushos in all of Hak's tourneys and assuming they win without looking at matchup changes. The biggest career changes in a world without Hak would be:

Kotomotsuki, in reality a career Ozeki but would have put up a weak YJ run that probably doesn't get him promoted but he'd be in the conversation. He was part of the gambling scandal so it would have been interesting if there was a Yokozuna involved.

Aran, a rando Russian maegashira midcarder picks up back-to-back wins in 2010. He only picked up one 10+ tourney after that so he'd go down as one of the craziest flash in the pans.

Kakuryu picks up 5 and a playoff which would bring him from 6 to 11 titles and bumps him up the Yoko tier ranks.

Kisenosato is of course, the biggest what if. He could have had another 6 with another playoff. Including a YYY streak in 2013. And if his late chokes were a mental thing, who knows what an early win does.

The other big on is Teru. His last 2 tourneys pre-injury were the classic playoff loss to Kise and a straight J to Hak. So a pre-injury promotion could have happened. In which case, does Teru take the time to heal or does he feel the same pressure as Kise to fight through it and mess himself up permanently? Or do they band together and be like "They can't get rid of both of us" and Kise has an actual post-injury career?

The only other guys with multiples Asahoryu with 3 and Harumafuji, Kotoshogiku, Goeido and Ichinojo with 2 a piece

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

anakha posted:

Day 9: MEISEI MOTHERFUCKERS

Day 9: You could visibly see that Meisei went in with a plan to avoid the arm clamp and get Teru off balance, and he managed to execute. What a fantastic match.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Yeah it really does seem like Meisei is the only one this tournament who battled Terunofuji in his terms, rather than the Yokozuna's. Hopefully they keep things interesting for the rest of the tournament.

I think Asanoyama will have to maintain a tie for the tournament a couple more days before they send him in?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Day 9: OCHIAI

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Day 9 could be the start of a lot of motion in the ranks. The logjam at the top continues and while all eyes are on Daieisho and Kiribayama to see who will stake a claim for Ozeki; Meisei and Asanoyama should both be due for rather hefty jumps if they continue their performance. Meisei is the first to strike blood against Terunofuji and just wow. If he didn't go in with a game plan, he absolutely put together a solid win. It's very well possible that he laid out a road map for others to take Teru out, though it may be a matter of who Teru fights from this point. Asanoyama can't be too far away should they both continue winning and giving up two kinboshi, even against guys that used to be sanyaku, will probably be something Teru is looking to avoid. I'm also still of the opinion that Wakamotoharu could possibly make Ozeki as well. It was said he needed 13 wins and I can see a world in which he gets it.

Day 10 will certainly be interesting as we can theoretically come out of it with a 5 way tie for first going into the last five matches.

Day 9 Standings:
code:
34	Khizan
33	Samuel L Hacksaw
33	Thauros
32	anakha
32	bessantj
31	Akiosan
30	Helianthus Annuus
29.5	Average Lettuce
29	Charles Gnarwin
29	Gaghskull
29	whats for dinner
28.5	Bentai
28.5	Fearless
27.5	MyChemicalImbalance
27.5	pseudodragon
27	Dead Goon
27	Mode 7
27	Tiny Bug Child
26	Chinook
26	Eli949
26	Saturnine Aberrance
25	Crusty Nutsack
25	Lid
24.5	bartolimu
23	Ice Phisherman
23	NTRabbit
23	oldskool
23	QuasiQuack
23	Single Tight Female
22	Banana Canada
21	Xerzes
20	Pakled
18	Beexoffel

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kyujo for day 10:
Enho & Chiyonokuni

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Robviously posted:

who Teru fights from this point. Asanoyama can't be too far away should they both continue winning

I don't think Asanoyama fights Teru this basho at all unless it goes down to a playoff. Not counting tonight, there are five days of bouts left and he still has five sanyaku he hasn't fought yet: Kiribayama, Daieisho, Hoshoryu, Wakamotoharu, and Takakeisho. I don't think there's any way they cut a yokozuna/sekiwake or yokozuna/ozeki bout to schedule a yokozuna/M14, not when the sekiwake/ozeki have all been doing this well.

Also, thanks a bunch for running the goon jungyo. Having a team to root for makes following the basho a lot more fun, imo.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I'm back from my vacation and I updated the general score sheet as seen here, spoilers of course if you haven't seen up to day 9: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qJhrRTrTIcoUl5PmpojBEb-i3z4cD-MXz4SPRTKARvo/edit?usp=sharing

I made some changes: In the Wins column, you can now see quickly anyone who has a KK as their number in the Wins column will be highlighted in Green instead of Red. Secondly, the rest of the columns after that add up the rest of the points based off of our scoring system. The points leader counting Wins, KK, Yusho, Jun-Yusho, Kinboshi, etc. will be highlighted in blue.

Thoughts on Day 9:

MEISEI! Beautiful way to keep Teru off balance and keep control of the match. He's also our points leader at 9 since he's tied for the lead and has the extra point from the Kinboshi.

WMH with a great twisting move against Hoshoryu to take the win. Also the staredown was great.

Hoping that Takakeisho gets his KK so he can sit out, his knees need more healing.

Hokuseiho is doing great, but I don't know how long simply being a giant will do. He's got some moves but will need to refine them to stay at the top. Being 6'8" makes it really easy for people to get under your center of balance. 7-2 is still a great record on day 9.

Aoiyama looks to be possibly dropping out of the top division unless if he can string together a few wins. I hope he does.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kuros posted:

Hokuseiho is doing great, but I don't know how long simply being a giant will do. He's got some moves but will need to refine them to stay at the top. Being 6'8" makes it really easy for people to get under your center of balance. 7-2 is still a great record on day 9.

Keep in mind that on top of being a giant, Hokuseiho is the youngest guy in the top division right now and the third youngest in all the paid raks (Atamifuji is a few months younger and Ochiai is almost 2 years younger than Hokuseiho), He's got plenty of time.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Brut posted:

Keep in mind that on top of being a giant, Hokuseiho is the youngest guy in the top division right now and the third youngest in all the paid raks (Atamifuji is a few months younger and Ochiai is almost 2 years younger than Hokuseiho), He's got plenty of time.

Completely agreed, being a literal meat mountain even among other rikishi has helped. I really hope to see him refine his style and him being in the Miyagino stable there's a high chance of that happening. Both of his losses this tournament come from his opponent getting in low, pushing his center of gravity up and then out of the ring.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Whoever it was that said that "BE BIG" was the best way to cheer for Hokuseiho was absolutely right. Be big, Hokuseiho. Be big.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kotoshoho is out for day 10

Takayasu is BACK for day 11

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/absence/

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ugh. Why even come back when the MK is in the bag? Sit out, rest up, take the easy schedule next time around.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:siren: :siren: :siren: HOKUSEIHO — LEGENDARY WIN :siren: :siren::siren:

Holy loving poo poo

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 10:

Wow, that faceplant by Wakamotoharu was spectacular.

Takakeisho is so clearly hurt. Just no defence at all in those legs. Hope he can bow out ASAP.

edit: Teru vs Kotonowaka was a great scrap. Spirited effort by both guys.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 23, 2023

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Day 10: I really hope they start giving Asanoyama tougher matches. Tomorrow he is going against Meisei, which is fair. But he really does need to fight Terunofuji, Kiribayama and one of the other Sekiwakes.

I've seen a lot of people hating on Hokuseiho, but I think he uses his size very cleverly.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I welcome our incoming era where Hakuho super-prospects crush everyone else.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I want people to start attacking Hokuseiho's legs with sotogake or ashitori attacks; feels like he's often pretty open to those with his style/body, but only a few wrestlers go for that stuff regularly. My money is on Ura, Tobizaru , orHoshoryu to try it.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The highlights I have seen so far for this basho makes me think that Hokuseiho tried using both arms once and found that he didn't need to, so he just stopped.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Day 10: Big upsets today.

It's interesting to see a bit of variation from Hokuseiho. Not sure if that was a henka attempt with a planned recovery or a clever way to get to the belt. Either way, it worked great.

Good to see Kinbozan with a small recovery. He still looks headed for an MK, but taking it an ozeki is pretty good, granted that keisho probably just needs to get his 8 and come back in September.

Do WMH and Kirybayama have beef? I normally don't begrudge an extra shove at the rope. After all, I've seen the opposite bite less experienced rikishi. The kick at the end of this match seemed a little odd though.

Really thought kotonowaka had that for a second. Would have been quite a feat

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

There's fun stuff in Juryo it is worth the time to at least check the replays for Ochiai. We're going to see him in the top ranks very soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8svJMFWEgCs&t=618s

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

Day 10:
Do WMH and Kirybayama have beef? I normally don't begrudge an extra shove at the rope. After all, I've seen the opposite bite less experienced rikishi. The kick at the end of this match seemed a little odd though

I don't think that was a kick, I think that was Kiribayama trying to lift his leg to get himself out of there but also trying to stay balanced and not fall over forwards, he just ends up accidentally almost touching Wakamotoharu, it looks worse from certain angles

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Boogalo posted:

There's fun stuff in Juryo it is worth the time to at least check the replays for Ochiai. We're going to see him in the top ranks very soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8svJMFWEgCs&t=618s

If he gets to 13 wins he has an extremely strong chance of being promoted to the top division after only three bashos.

The current record for fastest from debut to top division is nine. Absolutely insane.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

If he gets to 13 wins he has an extremely strong chance of being promoted to the top division after only three bashos.

The current record for fastest from debut to top division is nine. Absolutely insane.

I think that record is if they started from Maezumo, just off the top of my head Ichinojo debuted at MS15 Tsukedashi (like Ochiai) and spent 2 Basho in Makushita and then 2 in Juryo before being promoted, and there's been others with similar experiences.

Brut fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 23, 2023

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Brut posted:

I think that record is if they started from Maezumo, just off the top of my head Ichinojo debuted at MS15 Tsukedashi (like Ochai) and spent 2 Basho in Makushita and then 2 in Juryo before being promoted, and there's been others with similar experiences.

Oh, oops.

Still nuts, but not as nuts as I thought it was.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yes all eyes on Juryo tomorrow. Gonoyama is currently 9-1 at J1 (His highest ever ranking) fights thread interest Ochiai 10-0 at J8 (his highest ever ranking). It seems very possible that the two of them will go into Makuuchi next basho. With a KK already I can't see how Gonoyama doesn't get promoted.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah at J1e Gonoyama is literally guaranteed promotion now, we know 1 slot will be open due to Ichinojo's retirement, and most likely there's gonna be like 3-4 slots (day 10 standings Ichiyamamoto currently 3-7 at M15e, Mitoryu 4-6 at M16e and Kagayaki 4-6 at M17e, of course any of them could still turn it around).

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://mainichi.jp/articles/20230523/k00/00m/050/166000c
Hakuho explained that Enho withdrew and was taken to hospital because of numbness in his neck and back.

I know he might get dumped out of Juryo, but keeping Enho out of July might be a real good idea at this point.

A quality sumo shitpost to raise the spirits a bit:
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1660931809171963905/photo/1

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Bentai posted:

https://mainichi.jp/articles/20230523/k00/00m/050/166000c
Hakuho explained that Enho withdrew and was taken to hospital because of numbness in his neck and back.

Noooo Enho. :(

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

bessantj posted:

Yes all eyes on Juryo tomorrow. Gonoyama is currently 9-1 at J1 (His highest ever ranking) fights thread interest Ochiai 10-0 at J8 (his highest ever ranking). It seems very possible that the two of them will go into Makuuchi next basho. With a KK already I can't see how Gonoyama doesn't get promoted.

what sort of record does ochiai need to have a decent shot of promotion? obv a lot will be determined on the amount of demotable people depending on how kagayaki, mitoryu, and ichiyamamoto perform the rest of the way

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Brut posted:

I don't think that was a kick, I think that was Kiribayama trying to lift his leg to get himself out of there but also trying to stay balanced and not fall over forwards, he just ends up accidentally almost touching Wakamotoharu, it looks worse from certain angles

Ah okay. Just watching the natto vids and I was kinda going "WTF?"

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Thauros posted:

what sort of record does ochiai need to have a decent shot of promotion? obv a lot will be determined on the amount of demotable people depending on how kagayaki, mitoryu, and ichiyamamoto perform the rest of the way

So, for now I'm not gonna go as far as analyze who's in line ahead of him and stuff like that, but just going off raw score, 11 wins is technically possible, there's been 3 promotions like that since 2000 out of 15 people, 12 wins becomes likely, 4 promotions since 2000 but that's out of 6 people with that score from J8, I can only find 2 13 wins records from J8, both on the west side, one in 1965 that ends up at J1e and one in 2002 that lands at M15e.

So I think 12 wins should be enough.

Edit: Ugh, I said I wouldn't but...I'm looking at it now, Shonannoumi is 8-2 from J1w so that's almost certainly another slot taken up unless he really falls apart, and Bushozan is at 7-3 from J3e, so there are some strong obstacles. I guess we'll see how it goes in the next few days.

Brut fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 23, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 11: Teru was taking no poo poo today. Those clamps came on FAST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Wait a minute, when did Akua take over the mantle of big salt throw boy?

Only registered members can see post attachments!