Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Weren't you here in this thread earlier celebrating how the movie flopped and calling it trash? :xd:

I mean honestly for what they spent on this thing, it kinda was trash. But going into it with lowered expectations definitely helped it lol. It is what it is I’ll take the L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Indiana Jones 7, when?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gatts posted:

Indiana Jones 7, when?

When Disney gets the likeness rights for a deceased Harrison Ford

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Disco Pope posted:

This is interesting and I might start my own thread, because it's interesting how little film fans talk about stars for the place they have in the system. I think we talk about performances and industry stuff, but rarely about stars and all that entails for personas and the like. I do think it's particularly relevant to this movie, though.

Cruise and Ford are both pretty interesting in so far as I can't tell you much about them. Cruise must be considered a draw, because he keeps making movies. I think I like every Tom Cruise movie I've seen, but its never been because of Tom Cruise who is just some 5'2" Scientologist who throws himself off of buildings. I can't imagine being compelled to see something because he's in it - he just happens to have been in a lot of entertaining to good things.

Ford is a grumpy guy, I guess? He seems to have benefitted from getting some iconic roles, but again, I couldn't imagine reading an interview with him or following him on Instagram or whatever. Kids might put up a poster of Indiana Jones, but its hard to imagine them putting one up of Harrison Ford.

A lot of younger big names seem equally bland, but in a different way Thinking of younger actors (but not that young) there's this blandly genial eco-system of showing up on a talk show and telling the story about how a cop pulled you over because you were speeding but his kid was a massive Fight Wars: Return of the Guy Part II fan so you said the line and got off without a ticket and then you sing a song with James Corden or whatever. Maybe you and your co-star will crack each other up for a giffable moment or whatever. The only exception I can really think of are living memes like Keanu Reeves or Nicholas Cage. Arguably, Phoebe-Waller Bridgers seems to be leaning into a persona.

That said, there are genre stars I'm interested in. Loads of horror actors and creators are still people I find interesting and often charming.

I don't think people necessarily saw this for Harrison Ford, but it is hard to imagine anyone taking to a re-cast Indiana Jones. It's not inconceivable that he could have been like James Bond, but it it's hard to picture.

Part of it is the time between the last three Indy movies. Like if Ford was in all of them from the 80s to 90s then I could see a recast working.

But Crusade's ending is like a perfect ride into the sunset where he was already looking old, and then decades later and a decade after you have two "HARRISON FORD IS BACK" sequels in a row and Crystal Skull definitely did NOT convince anyone Shia was going to be a successor.

So it's going to be digital Ford or they'll let it rest for 20 years before doing a full remake of Raiders or whatever.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Neo Rasa posted:

So it's going to be digital Ford or they'll let it rest for 20 years before doing a full remake of Raiders or whatever.

Yeah, Crusade is the perfect ending for the character. It truly sucks that the laziest, most craven film execs are the ones tasked with sorting out what anyone even wanted from Indiana Jones, because you're right: "hey let's remake Raiders but with 2035's version of Noah Centineo" or "hey, let's CG a creepy death shroud of Harrison Ford over some stunt guys" both feel like very plausible outcomes. It's the same impulse as the endless live action cartoon remakes or the endless, inertia-less retreads of what they think worked in Star Wars 40 years ago. Zero risk, zero curiosity, zero ambition.

Action/adventure pulp about a treasure hunter is still a fun premise. The Mummy and National Treasure carved out their own versions of the concept and the result was good actually. But the obsession with contorting the plot and setting of Indy to jam an increasingly untenable Harrison Ford in there has only given us awkward, unpleasant movies struggling to fit into the time period they need to be set. I'd rather burn it all down, make totally new characters with no connection to Indy at all. Stop trying to justify a Victorian-era gentleman adventurer type thrust into the same time period as Pink Floyd.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I used to say romcoms were my least favorite genre, but move over, it's "legacy sequels" now. :negative:

The only one of these I liked was the one they did for rockos modern life which was just a direct criticism of how stupid legacy sequels are.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The only great legacy sequel was Blade Runner 2049 :colbert:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Eason the Fifth posted:

The only great legacy sequel was Blade Runner 2049 :colbert:

it looked pretty but i thought it was totally unnecessary

the OG is in my top five though

weirdly enough i still haven't seen fury road or top gun maverick, the two ones people actually say are decent..but i've seen all the weak ones for some reason

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 1, 2023

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Top Gun Maverick is extremely silly but completely unnecessary.

Mad Max: Fury Road is one of the greatest films ever made.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Top Gun Maverick was an exceptional cinematic experience, which anyone watching at home will probably miss out on.

Fury Road is exceptional.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's also Twin Peaks: The Return, Rocky Balboa/Creed, and, if you count it, The Color of Money. All good legacy sequels.

e: Bill & Ted 3 was cute as well.
ee: Similarly, Beavis and Butt-head Do The Universe

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

zer0spunk posted:

it looked pretty but i thought it was totally unnecessary

the OG is in my top five though

weirdly enough i still haven't seen fury road or top gun maverick, the two ones people actually say are decent..but i've seen all the weak ones for some reason

I was this close to making a Netflix final 10 thread just to make a 1-10 Fury Road joke.

Indiana Jones wise I think I figured out what the end of the time travel bit needed. The main villain temporarily survives the planecrash due to a plate in their head. Nazi salutes the Roman standard, and implies he will back up the Centurion. A shot rings out as Jones is walking away with Aristotle and... lady protagonist goes down. Indy say he has one more thing to do. Aristotle smiles and shakes his head, but doesn't look back. Jones goes to check on her... and gets the knock out blow. Explicitly ask in the epilogue what Indy was going to do for her that... tall round or the pilot couldn't. Obligatory you are a doctor... of Archeology joke.

Edit: To clarify Fury Road isn't the best thing since sliced bread. But it was a permanent fixture on my list. A good way to know it was time to argue about what to fill the list with again.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 1, 2023

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't understand what you just wrote at all. Are you saying Phoebe Waller-Bridge gets shot in this scenario?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It's okay

She'll be replaced by L3-37

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Apologies. About a week after seeing the movie I tried to think of how to fix the ending in under ten minutes and a millionish dollars. It wasn't quite post worthy then and it has only gotten fuzzier with time. But things on the internet are forever* so I'll try to clarify.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge could get winged in this scenario. If you really want a call back to the, "see how you feel about adventuring after getting shot," stuff.

But my original thought was that she was just faking getting shot. Guns are notoriously inaccurate in movies anyway, and the triggerman is dying of a concussion. The point of the whole bit is that Indian Jones does still care about somebody in the future: PW-B. And some other folks too, if he had time to think about it. I'm trying to make the return have something to do with a decision Indy has made rather than putting it all on PW-B. Also that if their roles were reversed Indiana Jones would absolutely pull a trick and force the elderly professor sort back to the future. This is sort of implied by the movie already but I think it needs to be blunter.

Other things that didn't make the final post:

Metal plate in main villain's head immediately covered up by blood and burned skin.

Flashback to the Nazi eagle standards at the book burning, for cost cutting reasons I swear.

The Centurion gets a tiny bit more characterization deciding between getting on the ship with his eagle standard or doing... whatever he was trying to do but with this weird looking dying man. Who nevertheless has a serviceable "Roman Salute."

Aristotle draws something in the dirt during the Centurion's arrival. At least one version of how Aristotle dies has him drawing in the dirt when he gets stabbed by an impatient Roman, tease that.

Speaking of blunt PW-B is reading a newspaper with, "Professor Cleared CIA in America!" headline. Goes to freshen up after seeing Marian approach/looking at the clock over Indy's shoulder and having a real good guess about when she will arrive.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh ok.

A funny pulp adventure style gag would have been the Nazis trying to impress themselves upon the Romans as the founders of European civilization or whatever but the Romans hearing them speak German and immediately crucifying them for being barbarians or whatever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Still can't believe how little agency or really how unnecessary Indiana Jones was in Dial. It's kinda funny im hindsight.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I don't know if the ending needed THAT MUCH of a change. I saw an interview from the DVD that said that Harrison liked the idea that Indy himself is the treasure that gets saved in the end, which is a little cheesy but if it's good enough for Ford it's good enough for me.

The only changes I'd make are to the deaths of the main villains.

The big guy that's chasing Teddy - I'd make it so that Teddy doesn't handcuff him to the underwater grate. Instead, Teddy wriggles through the hole in the grate, leaving the big guy behind. Teddy swims for a bit and surfaces and continues on as he does in the current cut. We cut back to the big guy struggling with the grate - he finally breaks the grate free, but in doing so, a large chunk of the surrounding rocks crumbles away - and out pours a bunch of the previously established killer eels. He tries to escape, but the eels overwhelm him and eat him alive (though I'm not sure how you visually show this without making it too gruesome and bloody). This has the added benefit of not making the kid Teddy directly responsible for the guy's death, as he is in the current movie.

As for Voller and the redneck henchman - they should have had a bit where one or both of them survived the plane crash, and they get the drop on Indy/Helena/Archimedes and are holding them at gunpoint - only to have Archimedes's people notice this and focus the concave sun mirror death beams on Voller to incinerate him. It's criminal that they set those things up and never really used them. And Voller's relatively banal death in a plane crash is not nearly epic enough to be counted alongside the other main villain deaths in the series.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Aren't Legacy Sequels sequels that disregard previous sequels to act as sequels to, more often than not, the original film?

So Halloween (2018) is a Legacy Sequel since it disregards all the films except Halloween (1978)
Bill & Ted 3 is not a Legacy Sequel, it's just a sequel to Bill & Ted 1 & 2

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Davros1 posted:

Aren't Legacy Sequels sequels that disregard previous sequels to act as sequels to, more often than not, the original film?

So Halloween (2018) is a Legacy Sequel since it disregards all the films except Halloween (1978)
Bill & Ted 3 is not a Legacy Sequel, it's just a sequel to Bill & Ted 1 & 2

Not sure, I've heard used interchangeably with "Later-quels" so I just use it now to refer to coming back to an IP after a prolonged period of time, usually to pander to a crowd with nostalgic feelings and/or goodwill for the prior entries.

See: Matrix 4, Bill & Ted 3, Die Hards 4 & 5, Dumb and Dumber To, Star Wars 7-9, etc etc etc..it's a long list

You can lump in prequels and reboots, it's all the same mediocrity

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AccountSupervisor posted:

This was cinematic novocain. Absolutely lifeless nostalgiabait.

see id disagree because at least a dumb nostalgia fest would have had like action or something or kept some of the poo poo to go "see like the originals" there were a bunch of times i loving prayed they would do some sort of dumb fight or homage or whatever. but its a bunch of boring chases. it feels like national treasure(a movie i like) but worse and indiana jones is in it. it feels too safe and lacks any teeth.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't know if the ending needed THAT MUCH of a change. I saw an interview from the DVD that said that Harrison liked the idea that Indy himself is the treasure that gets saved in the end, which is a little cheesy but if it's good enough for Ford it's good enough for me.

The only changes I'd make are to the deaths of the main villains.

The big guy that's chasing Teddy - I'd make it so that Teddy doesn't handcuff him to the underwater grate. Instead, Teddy wriggles through the hole in the grate, leaving the big guy behind. Teddy swims for a bit and surfaces and continues on as he does in the current cut. We cut back to the big guy struggling with the grate - he finally breaks the grate free, but in doing so, a large chunk of the surrounding rocks crumbles away - and out pours a bunch of the previously established killer eels. He tries to escape, but the eels overwhelm him and eat him alive (though I'm not sure how you visually show this without making it too gruesome and bloody). This has the added benefit of not making the kid Teddy directly responsible for the guy's death, as he is in the current movie.

As for Voller and the redneck henchman - they should have had a bit where one or both of them survived the plane crash, and they get the drop on Indy/Helena/Archimedes and are holding them at gunpoint - only to have Archimedes's people notice this and focus the concave sun mirror death beams on Voller to incinerate him. It's criminal that they set those things up and never really used them. And Voller's relatively banal death in a plane crash is not nearly epic enough to be counted alongside the other main villain deaths in the series.

the movie was all banal deaths. like its indiana jones, not national treasure. it feels like they were afraid of making it too violent or too heightened because like nothing happens.even crystal skull had good deaths.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Yes, Indiana Jones time travels to Ancient Greece in the middle of a historic battle and it's still more boring than National Treasure.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I expected to either actively dislike this movie or find it blandly forgettable. I didn't expect it to get so fuckin weird. I didn't hate it, and I'm glad I saw it, but it was not good. Brian Tallerico's review at Ebert's site had a good observation (emphasis mine):

quote:

I know not everyone can be Spielberg, but the simple framing of action sequences in “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and even “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” is gone here, replaced by sequences that cost so much that they somehow elevated the budget to $300 million. I wished early and often to see this movie's $100 million version.

I thought de-aged Indy looked totally fine and was not distracting to me, and I actually thought the whole movie was a slow downhill from his opening sequence. But what a schizo movie, like was the second unit completely out of touch or something? Weird tonal changes, the janky ending, odd and not good. But I watched it.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 3, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Because of this thread I kept waiting for Aristotle to show up

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just watched it on streaming, and... I quite enjoyed it?

This is probably doused in a heaping of low expectations for this film, not knowing anything about it going into it since it seemed to just come and go into cinemas with little fanfare, and a general malaise for all nostalgia baiting reboot-quels, but it felt like an Indiana Jones movie at heart, and not an imitation. I didn't feel like I was being pandered to.

Probably my only thought going into it was "Can they really do this with an 80 year old Harrison Ford?" Thankfully that was forgotten pretty quickly. I guess we all collectively got that out of our system in the last movie, which is laughable looking back as he was only 65.

There's lots of things in the film I'd like to have been different - especially the fact it's way too long and there are too many repetitive action sequences. The prologue could have easily dropped the car/ motorbike bit and just had the train sequence. We get another one of those later anyway which also overstepped its welcome. But what's there was engaging and didn't quite feel as CGI cartoony as most action sequences do in modern blockbusters where 'anything is possible' so they just become ridiculous both from a believability standpoint and crazy cinematography. That one shot of running across the train roof aside.

Biggest flaw of the movie for me was Helena's character. She flip flops allegiances and motivations far too much for my liking and doesn't seem to earn her change of heart by the end of the film.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Seeing Harrison Fard’s shakey old man hands in the classroom scene was sobering as hell

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I saw Dial. I didn't care for it. The first half didn't engage me at all so I was really checked out but it did pick up during the second half - about right after Indy talks about his son enlisting. It was like "finally, something to get me invested in this story." I didn't like how it was shot. The blocking and staging was really pedestrian, very boring. Lazy pans, slow left to right right to left camera movement. It had no energy. It managed to make one of the ten billion chase sequences in the first half boring. I've seen other James Mangold films and even by his standard this stuff was weak. By Spielberg's it was dreadful. Everything felt weirdly flat and ugly, I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe I just miss genuine film grain to add that layer of grit that's missing from these things. Perhaps it just felt like some assembly line product instead of something with genuine craft. I dunno. Either way it was a really weak ending to the franchise.

I think Lucas made out like a bandit with the sale of Indiana Jones. He sold a character for hundreds of millions that already had his last, great adventure decades ago. I'd love for adventure films in the vein of this or The Mummy to make a comeback but digital effects really replaced location shooting and practical action that it takes the fun out of everything.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Still can't believe how little agency or really how unnecessary Indiana Jones was in Dial. It's kinda funny im hindsight.

Have you seen the other movies?
In Raiders Indy is completely unnecessary, weather he's on the island or not the nazis still gets melted. In the Last Crusade the nazis still picks the wrong chalice with or without Indy. Temple of Doom is the only movie where he being there makes a difference.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alhazred posted:

In Raiders Indy is completely unnecessary, weather he's on the island or not the nazis still gets melted. In the Last Crusade the nazis still picks the wrong chalice with or without Indy. Temple of Doom is the only movie where he being there makes a difference.

Elsa deliberately chose the wrong chalice for Donovan; if she hadn't gotten mixed up with Indy, there's a strong chance she would've given him the correct cup

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It can't leave the cave anyways

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alhazred posted:

It's been awhile but Indy fights, runs, and utilizes his knowledge of history in Raiders right? Does Indy do any of these things in Dial? Does he even have one scene like he did in Raiders where he defeated the huge Nazi?

The huge Nazi in this one was done in by the little kid I didn't like?

It was just a very sad and depressing time at the theaters.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alhazred posted:

In Raiders he pretty definitely saves Marion

In Crusade he pretty definitely saves his dad

Yeah there aren't earth-shaking consequences for his actions, but who cares that's fake movie poo poo a normal person can never relate to anyway

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Alhazred posted:

In Raiders Indy is completely unnecessary, weather he's on the island or not the nazis still gets melted.

Yes.and then the Ark is sitting on a secret Nazi base in a secret Nazi island that only the Nazis know about and Belloq just showed them what not to do. Way to bust out a meme for stupid people instead of actually thinking 5 seconds into the future, champ.

Also Marion gets tortured to death in Nepal and an entire theme of Raiders is that Indy is chasing this archeological treasure that ultimately means nothing when happiness is right there in front of him gets.nullified but lol, gotta bust out Big Bang Theory poo poo to show how "clever" you are.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shageletic posted:

It's been awhile but Indy fights, runs, and utilizes his knowledge of history in Raiders right? Does Indy do any of these things in Dial? Does he even have one scene like he did in Raiders where he defeated the huge Nazi?

The huge Nazi in this one was done in by the little kid I didn't like?

It was just a very sad and depressing time at the theaters.

This is how I felt coming out of it, too. Like I get it he’s very old, but the whole movie just felt like he was getting dragged around looking sad or nonplussed at any given moment. There’s no one scene or moment from it that I remember fondly or think “it was nice to see him put on the outfit one more time”. It totally lacked any fun or punch. They couldn’t even give the villains a cool death scene, like c’mon.

Crystal Skull may be flawed, but it felt like an Indy movie. It was fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I am a Harrison Ford superfan and I cannot deny that his last years of performances have an aura of sad sack resignation around them that I have not enjoyed.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I am a Harrison Ford superfan and I cannot deny that his last years of performances have an aura of sad sack resignation around them that I have not enjoyed.

Close your eyes and it’s just Eeyore fighting Nazis now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes.and then the Ark is sitting on a secret Nazi base in a secret Nazi island that only the Nazis know about and Belloq just showed them what not to do. Way to bust out a meme for stupid people instead of actually thinking 5 seconds into the future, champ.

Also Marion gets tortured to death in Nepal and an entire theme of Raiders is that Indy is chasing this archeological treasure that ultimately means nothing when happiness is right there in front of him gets.nullified but lol, gotta bust out Big Bang Theory poo poo to show how "clever" you are.

You're being weirdly aggressive about this.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Alhazred posted:

You're being weirdly aggressive about this.

It's probably because the exact conversation you started already played out like two pages ago with identical arguments.

Anyways, to add to the conversation, the Dial of Destiny has many flaws, but I liked the movie overall and found it better than Crystal Skull. Crystal Skull was fun of oddly unfunny stuff like the groundhogs, the monkeys, Indy crossing his eyes when the Soviet lady points at his forehead or the entire chacter of Ray Winstone, which are not present in the new film.

Also, Indiana Jones works best when he's paired with a somewhat annoying lady and a kid. I liked the character of Helena, mostly because she was proactive and heroic throughout the film. I didn't mind the ending where she knocks out Indy, because she does it out of affection for him. He's clearly not being rational at that moment and suffers from the unhealthy fascination which causes the supernatural deaths of main villains in the other films.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Captain Jesus posted:

It's probably because the exact conversation you started already played out like two pages ago with identical arguments.

Anyways, to add to the conversation, the Dial of Destiny has many flaws, but I liked the movie overall and found it better than Crystal Skull. Crystal Skull was fun of oddly unfunny stuff like the groundhogs, the monkeys, Indy crossing his eyes when the Soviet lady points at his forehead or the entire chacter of Ray Winstone, which are not present in the new film.

Also, Indiana Jones works best when he's paired with a somewhat annoying lady and a kid. I liked the character of Helena, mostly because she was proactive and heroic throughout the film. I didn't mind the ending where she knocks out Indy, because she does it out of affection for him. He's clearly not being rational at that moment and suffers from the unhealthy fascination which causes the supernatural deaths of main villains in the other films.

I feel exactly the same regarding DoD versus KotCS. Former had lots of flaws but overall I found myself enjoying it more than the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Jesus posted:

It's still an odd moment. This is the end of your movie, the capstone of a saga of one of the most iconic, if not most iconic hero in modern movies. A new character knocking you unconscious because you've lost your will to live.

What a weird loving movie.