Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

Newton vs Western media by Luo Jie

I love how stupid this is.

Metaphor aside, it's a nice touch to have Western Media hold a Ukraine flag coloured microphone. That's quality craftsmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

So it turns out the Y story was a lie, as the trans woman in question had bottom surgery like seven years ago.

Yeah, but if you looked really close you could definitely tell the difference. No it's not creepy to look closely at people's genitals in the changing room.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Racism is just people in way too small shoes.

It's probably just a "the shoe doesn't fit" metaphor though, implying that racism isn't real because some black people internalised the racism.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Are the 8-ball earrings on Pelosi connected to anything in reality?

Probably a vague reference to her insider trading.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

What Uncle Sam fears the most by Luo Jie

Hard to read this as anything other than China being the opposite of world peace.

Also why would the USA fear world peace, they can just invade some country without nukes and break it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That statue rules, the country of Norway clearly has excellent taste in public art.

There's been some disagreement about churches being acceptable public art though :black101:

Are eggs in USA like butter in Denmark? The news have been going nuts about ridiculous prices on butter for months, but I have rarely actually paid the full new price and instead have been getting discounts below the old price all the time. And I eat a lot of butter, so I've been paying attention.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

You're not wrong, but why would we do this by misrepresenting the man's words? There are plenty of other books out there written by less terrible people that we could be putting into school curricula and buying for our kids. Hell, why not get some from authors who are Jewish, women, Black, or even fat or ugly or disfigured? There's probably a fat kid out there who would really love to read a book about how alienating it can be to be fat in school just to see that someone understands. We're never going to run out of books for kids, or authors to write them; if this guy was terrible (and he absolutely was), let's just dump him in the garbage can and move on rather than trying to hang onto some piece of him. I loved his books when I was a kid, but I'd probably have loved other books if I'd read them then, too.

AS A PARENT, I have noticed that, beyond the obvious racism/sexism/bigotry that's present in older children's books, the actual stories also tend to drift further and further from modern children's frame of reference. This means that even if you fix the obvious bad stuff, you still end up with a story that the kids are not gonna really connect with a lot of the time.
Like, Pippi Longstocking's dad is no longer "king of the negroes" or however that was translated, but a pirate king. But that doesn't help that Tommi and Anika (or whatever they're called in English) and their parents aren't really how people in the 21st century act. No parents expect kids to not get their Sunday clothes dirty or keep quiet at the table where they have to sit, so the whole premise doesn't really fit anymore, even if the moral and story still checks out.

What I'm saying is that we should absolutely retire some classics and make room for all the great new books.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm sure that throwing away thousands of dollars on an engagement ring is what the millennial in a tie would do to save money on streaming.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pancho Jueves posted:

Ah yes, that famously unsuccessful demographic "white men".

Did you know they're being forced to use a bunch of intermediaries in the justice system just to own slaves now? White men have it hard!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nenonen posted:

I wouldn't be so scared of a robber that just soiled himself. Must be his first time, "the toy gun and CRIME sweater cost a bit but if this works then my family will eat tonight... uh oh, here comes the diarrhea! I shouldn't have eaten from that dumpster, drat it!"

Eh, I'd be way more scared of a robber who soiled himself, since he's either way beyond caring about that, and as such more likely to be beyond caring about your life, or just straight up mentally ill. In either case, he's way more likely to just shoot you than a guy who can actually conceptualise and care about going to prison.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Aside from being bad, is Prickly City actually doing a de facto defence of China? It sounds like they're saying the spy balloon was no big deal. Which is probably correct, but not a typical conservative viewpoint.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I like how Ishida acknowledges bathroom stalls, but still thinks that you get to see any genitals in the ladies restroom. You could pull out a loving kangaroo pouch without anyone noticing.

For the record and anyone not wanting to look at Garrison: his transphobic slur is trannie bar, referring to Hersey's. Classic stuff, you'll never guess the ingredients.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

That’s the point; much like how people wanted to panic over an increase in autism diagnoses, that was less more people being on the spectrum and more our knowledge of autism and being able to better identify people. It’s like panicking over a tenfold increase in gay marriages since 2015.

It’s why they need to manipulate statistics to give the impression that half of school kids are trans now like going on HRT is akin to beanie babies or pokémon or uh a fad that wasn’t 30 years ago. Roblox? Gotta scare people to pass laws against the icky scary ones.

The best uncontroversial example is left handedness:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Quite the opposite, it was in fact an anti-sinister conspiracy

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's trying to be deep, but because the authors have the combined depth of a puddle in a desert, it doesn't really work. Also the truth in question is probably "black people are inherently criminal" Vs "no they're not". There is no middle position.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What is that weak recycling game? I have bins for food waste, cardboard, plastic/metal (compartmentalized), paper, garden and general waste, plus a little hazmat box. Also I get a text from the department of sanitation the day before telling me which one to put out.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

In Norway we have a fun game called "knock the cat out of the bag". You decorate a bag with cat pictures, children hit it with sticks and candy comes out. Well, a few years ago I learned that putting candy in the bag is a relatively new tradition.

The fun part was apparently chasing down the cat after it got out. It's a wooden barrel though unless you're below 5 years old though. I'm betting it's Danish in origin, at least more than Norwegian, since it's exceptionally cruel.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

thisusedyet posted:

"Muslim call to prayer at all hours"
Is that really an argument people make? I thought the whole point of the call to prayer was that it was supposed to happen on a set schedule

Absolutely it is, at least in Denmark. The main point is that the set schedule includes sunrise, which is quite early in the summer.

It's still bullshit of course.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hihohe posted:

please britain pick charles I

Given their last 40 years of PMs, maybe a monarch would be less terrible?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Even the shoulders and the collar... it's nearly identical.

Makes you wonder if she printed that cartoon out and ran around shops asking "Do you have anything like this?"

It's cute that you think these people buy clothes from the rack and not hand tailored.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You say migrant crisis and food shortages, I say long live long pig

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I had a coworker who was similarly angry about being called cis, and, when pressed, preferred "normal" as opposed to trans. The thing that finally made him get it was that I found a dumb Greek word for "into adults" to contrast to pedophile and began calling him that. I think it was teleiophile or something like that. I dunno why it worked, but it was helpful, even if he remained a jerk about it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I mean, he even makes the transformer/transgender pun, without understanding that it is literally the same prefix. The entire god drat point is that they can change their appearance, or form, presumably including their genitals, if it made any sense for robots to have genitals. Which the internet has taught me it does.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Uh isn't this person a witch, where does witchcraft come from in Christian theology.

Why does a witch have a problem with pentagrams is the occult bad or not

Actually, there's a not insignificant amount of witchcraft in the Bible, both testaments too. It's just not been big with the church.

M.c.P posted:

That’s just a fat guy in underwear Tats. I guess Calvin Klein advertised their stuff with a fat guy? That’s not explicitly an LGTBQ thing but it is showing your rear end on the end goal here.

But showing your entire rear end online is just your brand at this point.

In a weird way, you might say he's going horse shoe theory on intersectionality, with being fat also being an oppressed identity/materiality that can be combined with all our friends from racism and sexism and homophobia and transphobia and so on. Of course, Ishida goes at it from a "these are all aspects of evil" angle instead.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Monsanto is looking at that Joker storyline and laughing all the way to the bank. Also, remember that Batman is a billionaire, he wouldn't be punished (well, after he was caught and identified I guess), he would probably get some kind of vigilante license and maybe federal funding. But the core conceit of Batman is that a billionaire would be a good guy.
And he's not even particularly good either. His whole thing kinda boils down to beating the mental illness out of people.

And finally, someone mentioned that the subway story had a racial aspect. This is a good time to remind everyone that the good Samaritan had one of those too, though obviously quite the opposite of the subway story.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

Not only did it have one, it was the primary point of the story. Jesus told the story of the Good Samaritan as an answer to the question "who is my neighbor?" (in terms of the directive "love your neighbor as yourself"). It's not a story that says "be nice to people", it's a story that says "everyone is your neighbor regardless of differences in ethnicity, culture, or doctrine".

I think it goes even harder than that, the two first guys who pass the bleeding guy are pillars of the community, and the Samaritan is a hated other. The modern American version would be a white dude beaten up, and a marine and a priest just walking by, while a black single mother takes care of him.
Bible Jesus is pretty cool in many ways.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

I like how this author manages to be original seemingly effortless. For me he's anti-Danziger, who puts his characters into odd stances and unnatural perspectives in a desperate attempt to be different.

I'm also getting Ted Rall but good vibes honestly. This guy seems to know his stuff, but does some weird, seemingly wrong, stuff, but unlike Rall, it actually works.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

the_steve posted:

Look, you can't just go getting these surgeries that go against the natural order
*ignores pretty much the entirety of medical advancement*

Anyone who argues that we should follow the natural order should probably give up electricity, grains, houses and whatever else humans as a species has invented to not have to deal with nature's bullshit. We don't even have to go to smallpox and hormonal birth control, basically anything besides picking berries in nature is against the natural order.
Also God gave humans mastery over the earth in genesis, so there's that if you want to make a religious argument.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

the_steve posted:

The fuckwits that dominate my workforce aren't smart enough to go beyond The One Joke about identifying as an attack helicopter.

Treat them as attack helicopters then. And by that I mean obviously kick them, try to climb inside and ignore any noise they make.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Cancel culture has gone too far! Can't even declare an entire race inferior and fit for enslavement any more!

Well, at least now you have to go through a few hoops with the justice system.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Caesar needs Thraces

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Did they expect something different from a president who's dedicated his career to exploding foreign kids?

I know it's clear in context, but that's pretty much every president of the USA since like Nixon or something. Notably except Trump

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Again, not what's happening, but I want to give a shout out to all the governments that stole babies and kids from indigenous peoples and gave them to white parents (or orphanages) to become "good Christians" or whatever.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Murdstone posted:

When overseas, make sure to wear your USA hat and American flag shirt at all times so everyone immediately knows you’re an rear end in a top hat.

Not that this doesn't happen, but we can all hear by your loud terrible accents that you're oblivious assholes.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Grape posted:

That requires us to go to your meek quiet cloudy cod countries, and not the much much MUCH louder delicious sunshine places below you.

There may not be a lot of you, but the few that come sure come on strong. Especially the cruise ship types. And it's the combination of loudness, the accent, the fact that we actually understand you and that you're saying incredibly dumb stuff.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Grape posted:

lol yeah let me take "not being obnoxious tourist" advice from a Brit

Are you aware that English is taught and understood in most of Western Europe? Many people, even on these very forums, are nonnative speakers!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Also it's a good place far away to put all the Jews if you're that kind of bigot.

I loved it years ago when Bibi and Orban were very good friends agreeing about getting all the Jews out of Europe and into Israel. Their reasoning might be different, but they sure agreed on the plan.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hihohe posted:

See?! now this is a good critisim

instead of just " A WORD MEANS WHAT I SAY IT MEANS YOU CANT JUST EXPLAIN IT SO IT MEANS SOMETHING ELSE"

Actually fascism is just a bundle of sticks bundled together to make it strong, which is a good metaphor for unionisation. Imma call myself a fascist whenever i agitate for worker's rights from now on.

I know, it's not the same, but words kinda become what they're commonly understood as, regardless of origin.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Xander77 posted:

It was the interval between the old moral code being broken down and the establishment of a new code based on consent first and foremost (circa the 90s).

It's actually quite beautiful in it's own way, just doing away with the old, family unit reproduction and inheritance based sexual morality and doing whatever felt right instead. It had some bad results though, because people are not always nice to each other, and don't always understand things the same way as their victims.
But yeah, consent between equal adults is actually a super good code in my opinion (disregarding the can of worms that is children's sexuality).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

It's a Christian one, from Matthew 9:17. Not sure why China Daily are going with that.

I don't know about English, but at least in Danish it's a pretty common saying with the (pretty obvious) meaning of rebranding something old (and usually unpopular) into something new (and hopefully more popular). It's often used about new political ideas for obvious reasons.