Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Having to hunt for a bad comic in a series that ran for a long time 100 years ago is probably the best you're gonna get. Even Popeye probably doesn't score better most likely, though I am interested if it was the author's own views on the war of just his own views on having a job and not being in prison.

Microplastics posted:

How dare you, we have *checks notes* stones! Stones? Just stones? Surely we have *flips page* big buildings made of stones, there we go that'll do

I'm sure they've got plenty of history to show off that they stole from themselves somehow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

His weird turn toward conservative Christianity as cure for all social ills really feels undermined by the simultaneous insistence that God is a malicious clown.

I'm happy to see it keep going if anybody wants to post them but I also have been getting the feeling that it's not too far out from when it's just too vile to even mock, maybe sending it off before then is for the best.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ishida still pushing himself as hard as he can every single day to find new ways of missing points and torturing metaphors

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dial911 posted:

What's Ishida on about with that one? Are we supposed to know who those "clients" are? Or is this just more of his incomprehensable bullshit? :psyduck:

It's basically just a straight read of capital's relationship to labor, but given how often his turns have coincided with the general sentiments of extremely online FARTs I'd imagine there was probably a Guardian op-ed a week or two ago about how all people who patronize sex workers should be exterminated and also how could communism do this to us. I wouldn't be surprised if they're the last bloc who will give him the time of day.

edit - it's probably building up to some doubly incomprehensible Epstein island arc

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wasn't 2022 the daughter of Patriotic Man and Traditional Woman? I seem to recall a hospital scene but they never seemed too distraught about any of it beyond that and made no appearance here

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Strictly speaking, that arc violated a lot of terms of service on account of her technically being a minor, but Ishida is a libertarian after all even if he's the American sort

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Probably a lot of hack right wingers angry that the classified documents thing happened at the same time as the gas stove thing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Randalor posted:

...what? Is he saying "Okay, sure, we wanted to hang people, but just a little hanging, as a treat"?

Well in the movie Stonehenge was meant to be much larger but through their incompetence (band used " instead of ' on the measurements, which iirc were on a napkin) ended up being small and funny in a sad way. What point he's trying to make is probably something only he knows.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Time travel wouldn't even work, whatever he did in the past would at best have no effect and at worst end up being the reason things are as they are now. If you want a house now you need to start running a bunch of scams, I don't make the rules.

Asgerd posted:

That's clearly a Stargate, which is used for interplanetary travel and not time travel. A Bad Cartoon.

This would actually work out a lot better, it's well known that the only way you can escape the scrabbling claws of Capitalism is by going to space

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, mark eggs up 10x and if you sell half as many you still made an incredible amount of money, and now you've got half as many eggs again to sell commercially or toss into a volcano. Then next year you raise them even higher because you've discovered that actually nobody's gonna stop you and now you're only competing with the sort of companies that will move in lock step with you because the others didn't keep up and thus got destroyed. If there's too much grumbling you just call up your favorite stenographer to say it's because the industry is struggling and in need of bailout or whatever. The free market has solved the problems it saw in front of it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

JamesBont posted:

Wait, isn't Kevin supposed to represent Trump? Why are they talking about a laptop?

From what I've managed to glean from a year+ now of reading Prickly City here, none of the characters are consistently anything. If the continuity holds together from panel 1 to panel 3 thank your lucky stars.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh good it's not just me then lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Well the NHL is pretty known for lacking in diversity so maybe he's saying that's the reason "they" "made them" out to be some sort of attack on white people? But this is a politoon, that elephant could mean so many things. It honestly sounds like he lost an argument at the pub and is mad lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nenonen posted:

I don't know, is there any diversity in NFL? I can't think of anyone from outside USA. NHL on the other hand drafts plenty of European players (but is nowhere near as global as soccer).

Given that this is Lester, it's going to be some generalisation about all black and hispanic people being rabid homophobes which is also why they should also be voting Republican. But the less we understand his brainworms, the better.

Well the bartending elephant sounded pretty clear that it's oppression against white people. Americans don't really think about sports in those international terms even in baseball where it's practically part of the sport's identity at this point. I maintain that he just lost an argument in the pub and went home to furiously draw a cartoon where he was calmly explaining reality to the hapless doofuses who just don't get why he's so smart about this stuff.

Nenonen posted:

The world would be a happier place if someone paid Payne to just draw car-toons with zero political content.

I like how he draws them exactly how a car abolitionist would draw them lol, just replace the text at the top with COMING TO AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CROSSWALK NEAR YOU! and drop the documents one.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not expressing my take on it very well, but we're a very culturally insular people about this stuff as the always timeless World Series joke points out. I just don't think Lester is thinking too hard about it because even if it is true and even if there's some more diversity now he wouldn't view it as anything like that, it'd be an attack on whiteness because hockey = whiteness to people like him. He's absolutely a guy with a $900/mo payment for a truck that hauls spreadsheets to the office. Or badly drawn people to his study I guess. Surface level thinking is the best you're gonna get which is unfortunate because he confuses it for deep analysis.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OddObserver posted:

Hockey is pretty international these days, too --- there is a surprisingly high number of Americans!

Beginning of the end there, but as a general rule I assume we can't do any worse than whatever the Quebecois are up to. As a born and raised baseball guy I was hoping curling would catch on, what a perfect refinement of spectator sport that is.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just be glad he's usually drawn with clothes on. That's not the norm for anybody in UK politoons.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Grape posted:

She's going to continue roaming around collecting random visual metaphors until she becomes a Katamari Damacy abomination of Ishida's madness.

I believe in the context of politoons a visual metaphor Katamari star-ball is called a Branco

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The way Rall draws guns has led to me collecting examples, and while I'm very annoyed he doesn't seem to tag anything that would make this easier, it really is a funny reminder seeing the comments section confirm that for like 90% of the people listed here we're the only place on the internet that even knows they exist.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This thread is pretty good about moving on when a chud cartoonist loses any remaining novelty and goes full bore cruelty and fascism. If somebody tried to post Stonetoss now I'd imagine it's not improved such that it wouldn't rapidly become formally banned by public agreement, but it just never came to that. I suspect Sinfest is going to share the same fate in due time.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Randalor posted:

With no reference to the source material, I thought it was supposed to be a big 3D scanner and Stonetossed was just batshit crazy. Now that I've been told what its supposed to be... nothing had changed.

I thought it was a Stargate and when nothing else made any more sense I just stuck with it. Highly recommend this course of action.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I was sick of hearing about balloons the 2nd time it came up, I suppose this is some kind of karmic comedy punishment for wishing cartoonists would move on from "Santos sure lies a lot doesn't he?"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

has the Chinese balloon, the 10% loot sack and the box of classified docs joined in the Branco Biden iconography? It's getting cluttered.

I'm honestly amazed that pants down Biden didn't enter the usual mandatory visual signifiers. It was like 3 strips in a row then never again, maybe it meaning he had to draw all of Biden every time was the dealbreaker

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If they just released another balloon every time it looked like our press or Congress was about to do actual reporting or governance, it would probably cripple us as a nation. Would probably result in furiously incoherent comics including gas stoves keeping a balloon aloft but it keeps bumping up against the debt ceiling tho.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Is "pregnancy center" a specific pro life thing? Huh, makes a little bit more sense now.

Yeah, they're usually set up and marketed to look like they're just a support and free care place like Planned Parenthood but its 100% evangelical and from the minute you enter the goal is to bully, cajole, and outright threaten women. These places are supported entirely by tax exempt churches when they arent defrauding taxpayers more directly.

Some actually good ones exist but usually are pretty loud and proud about not being chuds because they're outnumbered 100 to 1

Edit - and dont take it from me, Branco loves them, that should be enough right there

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

This is like a PowerUp Comic that was abandoned halfway through a gentrification program

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Neito posted:

It's like someone made that google Deep Dream thing make faces and it just wouldn't stop.

Once somebody said earlier that it reminded them of a bunch of baby birds in a nest yelling to be fed I haven't been able to unsee it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

World Famous W posted:

that don't seem very kellish. my experience is the old fucks just demand that the tvs be changed

And risk starting off on the wrong foot with the bartender? Now THAT is what seems un-Kellish

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Saint Sputnik posted:

Pretty lazy to just leave 1984 as-is instead of changing it to "Nineteen Eighty-Fun" or something

Brave New World appears to have also escaped revision, though it could still be Grave Brew World - a book about using technology shorn of any respect for fundamental human questions to make the perfect halloween pumpkin ale

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

alnilam posted:

[Curly voice] why i oughta...

Unfortunately the "narrow side of a flattened hand against the nose" technique doesn't work against the single eye poke. Putin may be a master in Judo but his knowledge of Stoogecraft is unfortunately lacking. Doubtless he tried a deflection followed with a big raspberry which combos into hitting Biden on the top of the head with an oversized hammer, but got the 2nd eye poke from the other hand instead.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

skeleton warrior posted:

Is it? Asking genuinely, here. I don’t think the intent of the cartoon is “lol guy in a dress” like the clearly transphobic McCoy, Lester, Garrison cartoons are; it’s trying to highlight that the guy making the ban is a hypocrite who wants to be allowed to do what he wants but ban others from doing the same.

But I am not an expert in LGBTQIA issues and will absolutely defer to others.

It's a punch aimed at chuds that only ever hits LGBT people, and in fact cannot actually ever hit the chud because it fundamentally misunderstands exactly what is going on. No evil right winger is ever going to give a seconds thought to some liberal stranger calling them a hypocrite, except maybe to revel in their display of powerlessness, so all it does is continue to normalize ideas and stereotypes that need to be tossed entirely.

One must keep a low bar with cartoonists that aren't Kelly or Collins of course.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

MechaCrash posted:

Weren't there stories about police departments going so hard on tear gassing people that they actually ran out?

Yes, they were also using long expired teargas, and expired teargas has lots of nasty stuff in it that causes hormonal issues and is a known abortifacient. Unfortunately it was all used up with none to be found on 1/6, shame about that. Also aiming "nonlethal" munitions at peoples heads after gassing and kettling them.

But also lmao at the notion that any cartoonist here outside of like, Collins or Kelly would've been supporting of the civil rights movement. We've all seen what the politoons were like at the time.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Good advice, but you could always, y'know, also put 'em behind spoilers or hyperlinks or something.

The thread is pretty good about doing this with even borderline stuff, if only from experience since it's the entire body of work of numerous cartoonists here, but if it's poised to be every single cartoon like is safe to assume if this is true, I don't think it's a bad suggestion to put forward. Just seeing whole walls of spoilered images isn't going to be less of a reminder of what the chuds are up to

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

Why would evie do this :ohdear:

Really not a fan of political cartoonists using their medium to spoil videogames as well

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Microwaves boil it fine, the main problem is you just can't do nearly as much in one go as with a kettle. The specific sin associated with boiling in microwaves is leaving the tea bag in while you do it, the mark of a deranged mind.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

It's bad enough when they're all barking random talking points but he loves making them finish each other's sentences. Just me and four people I've never met before, sitting side by side and compelled by some unearthly force to cobble together a single sentence in five voices.

Inspired by Radiolab

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

I see Tom has gotten to that part of his PokeDex

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I dont know posted:

He is referencing/stealing jokes from decades old pop culture again. In this case this bit from Arrested Development.

One would do well not to underestimate Mustrum Ridcully

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A few of the money guys who are the ones the mega-donors actually talk to are telling people to pump the brakes and getting stuffed in lockers as a result. It's Don Jr who's the biggest one up to it lately last I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The movie is far, far better than the book, in no small part because it's openly mocking the book, because Verhoeven is a genius. The book is just half fun action romp and half tortured self-indulgent grappling by the author with his contradictory beliefs in Libertarianism and the necessity of military dictatorship. I can't recommend any of his stuff to anybody, for any reason, but at least as far as I remember Starship Troopers didn't have any chapters dedicated to arguing that the age of consent is oppression.

If not for Orson Scott Card he'd be the first name in magicking up Deus Ex Machina to make his dumbass plots move along.