Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Angepain posted:

:kstare:

I suspect this might be something of a send-off for Sinfest - Space Cadet Omoly seems to not be posting it anymore and half the thread wanted it to stop anyway.

Yeah, looking at Sinfest every day was starting to bum me out so I decided to take a break from it (that and I recently went on a trip where I didn't have internet access) I was thinking of doing one final send off post, but you did it for me which is honestly a huge relief, thank you!

Man, I've been doing Sinfest posts since the end of 2020, back then the comic was still "both sides bad" it got really right wing really quickly after that. Fascist propaganda is fast acting, and being a TERF is the first step to being a full on Nazi. If there are any lessons to be learned from this whole mess it's those things.

Tibalt posted:

Yes

The reaction has been hilarious, especially considering that "Joker is pregnant!" is absolutely a golden age story.

Honestly the most surprising thing about this storyline for me is that it's the first time a male character has gotten pregnant in a DC comic because like you said the golden age did this kind of stuff constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Trapezium Dave posted:

It's been interesting watching how quickly the TERF stuff consumed everything in Sinfest. Back in 2020 the plotlines and characters were insane but at least they were there. I can't remember if anything happened in 2022 other than baby new year was born, became a handmaid then died. I guess Monique sulked for a bit in an alt-right diner? That was the year?

This year was mostly spent praising Musk for doing such a great job running Twitter, comics which have already aged incredibly well.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Man, I'm actively trying to think less about Sinfest this year, but Johns weren't the reason 2022 died. She died because she stopped taking her meds, and because she was an anthropomorphic concept whose existence was tied to a specific date.

If you want to write a story where a prostitute is killed by a John and then her other prostitute friend goes on a revenge rampage and kills a bunch Johns then fine, do that! There's probably a bunch of grindhouse movies with that exact same plot already, in the right hands it might even be a fun ride! But that's not what you wrote! Total creative control and not a single plot point or character motivation feels related.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Is that an oven? What?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

VitalSigns posted:

Smiling Padme: "so Biden is going to do something about a corporation jacking up egg prices right?"

Is there anything he can do? Serious question, because the egg people aren't the first company to do the whole "Raise prices just because we can, gently caress you this is a monopoly" thing and it definitely feels like it should be illegal, but is this one of those "obvious harm is being done but no law is being broken because our laws mainly focus on protecting corporations not people" situations?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

VitalSigns posted:

Is it supposed to be good? The frogs are just sitting around in a haze telling each other they've already won instead of going out and overthrowing the government or whatever

Genuinely asking I cannot tell whether the drug den is supposed to be good or not

I think it's supposed to be bad within the context of the comic because the hopium is keeping the frogs from going out and murdering trans people and doctors.

Like, I personally consider anything that prevents trans people and doctors from getting murdered good, but this is Sinfest so western medicine and anything gender nonconforming is evil and needs to be destroyed.

VitalSigns posted:

We're all talking about the frogs, but what I want to know is whether this forest Pan god is supposed to be a good guy or bad guy. Could really go either way:

Kills feds: good
Non-"woke": good
Non-Christian: bad
Probably into all-natural woo-woo cures: good
Fucks women: good
But not monogamously: bad
Fucks men too: bad
Unvaccinated: good
Greeks had some weird ideas about gender Tats would hate: bad
But Ishida could ignore that and make him a nature spirit mouthpiece for TERFy ideas about biological sex: good
No pants: bad

Are you talking about the antler lady? Within the context of Sinfest she's good and has traditionally been used as a mouthpiece for TERF beliefs like every other good non-woke female character in Sinfest.

wizzardstaff posted:

What's funny is how mobile unfriendly the site is now that the Patreon money dried up.

See if you can spot the comic!

Honestly, not being able to see the comic makes Sinfest feel more friendly than ever.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Ken Burns Is Here

Can someone explain the reference being made? Why is it bad that Ken Burns is there? The only thing I know about the guy is that he makes documentaries and that at least one of these documentaries was a deep look into the Civil War and another is about baseball.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Randalor posted:

... what the gently caress is he even trying to say?

I think it's like how sometimes a white guy getting brutally murdered by the police (like that unarmed homeless man who was beaten to death a few years back: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Kelly_Thomas ) is held up as an example of "see? The police aren't racist, white people are gruesomely killed by them too" which somehow means we should do nothing about police brutality.

Basically the argument seems to go:

"A black man was beaten to death to death by the police"

"Oh yeah?! Well a white guy was ALSO beaten to death by the police!"

"Okay, so should we do something to prevent the police from beating people to death?"

"No"

Except this time it's:

"A black man was beaten to death to death by the police"

"Oh yeah?! Well the police officers who beat him to death were also black!"

"Okay, so should we do something to prevent the police from beating people to death?"

"No"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

Right, so, I'm not going back to posting these regularly (though I respect the service of the other people who are), but someone up thread mentioned this weeks Sinfest had some extra whacky ones. Against my better judgment I went to check and boy howdy they were right.

Enjoy.

And now to forget this character exists for a few months (or maybe years)

A little late in the game to be jumping on the eggflation comics bandwagon, but whatever.

And now for some truly spicy hot takes:

It takes some pretty selective listening to interpret Ye praising Hitler and denying the holocaust as a generic "Love everyone!" message. Ishida has been the only person I've seen who's just been totally up front with his "Kanye West said nothing" beliefs. Everyone else on the right seems to have the self awareness to distance themselves from Ye publicly (even if they agree with him privately), but Ishida lacks that.

Also, I think he might be against receiving treatment for mental illnesses now? Like, he could just be against Ye getting treatment, but given how much he hates vaccines and doctors now it feels on brand that Ishida is just fully against getting mental healthcare in the same way he's turned against the concept of receiving any sort of physical healthcare.

The next two are just "A thing happened" (I think):

New York recently put up a really cool looking statue in a courthouse and I guess lame people who like getting pissed of at things have decided to be weird about it.

A brief news story about the statue can be found here: https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/for-the-first-time-a-statue-of-a-woman-sits-atop-this-manhattan-courthouse-012023

An example of people being weird and saying insane things about the statue can be found here: https://texasrighttolife.com/new-yorks-satanic-abortion-statue-is-coming-to-this-texas-city/

And we finish off with some anti-vaccine propaganda and Vainglorious doing art.

I don't think Vainglorious has shown up in months (or maybe over a year?) so you probably don't remember him unless you have the same "retain pointless information about Sinfest characters" disorder I do. His basic deal is that he's an artist and he's really arrogant (hence the name). Oh, and the lady with the antlers who's currently raising the year 2023 baby is his mom. He has a bad relationship with her and shaves his horns so he doesn't look like her but I don't think it's ever been explained what caused the bad relationship and who knows when or if it ever will be because the plot of Sinfest is a chaotic stream of consciousness drawn by a mad man.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alhazred posted:

Imagine being scared of a statue and especially one that's as non-threatening like that one. In Norway we have statues like this in public and no one cares:

That statue rules, the country of Norway clearly has excellent taste in public art.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Twelve by Pies posted:

If we'd just ignored covid and done nothing about it it would have been over ages ago!

Just ignoring COVID and doing nothing is exactly what the US government is doing now, I don't know how they could possibly ignore it harder.

Like, the anti-mask people won and exactly what they wanted to happen has happened but they're still complaining about it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay I went grocery shopping the other day. I bought some eggs. They were like 6.50 for a dozen XL brown eggs. That's more expensive than they used to be, but I'm so goddamn tired of "Eggs are now a luxury item only the rich can afford!"

apparently egg prices are about to drop, so hopefully the end of egg cartoons is coming soon: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/07/wholesale-egg-prices-have-collapsed-from-record-highs-in-december.html

Neito posted:

As usual, I get to the end of a sunday Sinfest comic and just go "....Ok. Cool." in a flat monotone, trying to parse out what his wordless word salad means.

I....think this is supposed to be bad because a rainbow haired woke person is doing it and those are usually the villains in Sinfest, but I can't figure out why? She's just messing around with an app and trying out new styles. No one is getting hurt and she seems super happy about the whole situation.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MechaCrash posted:

Plus the obvious issue of "they will refuse to do anything about all the other poo poo they're pointing at as the problem." So if they won't fix any of the (alleged) root causes, then gently caress it, we'll take away the thing people use to do all the killing.

Of course not, if they fix anything then what will they blame gun violence on?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DalaranJ posted:

I developed a nasty cold today and feel like I’m on my deathbed.

*gropes blindly*
Please someone, you’ve got to tell me,
Is... sluggo... still... lit?

Sluggo is hella lit, now rest easy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm honestly kind of worried this WILL blow over and nothing will be done to meaningfully address the root problems that caused it to happen in the first place, thus allowing it to potentially happen again in a way that's as bad or even worse.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Discendo Vox posted:

We literally do not know the root cause. The preliminary report isn’t going to be out for around another week and a half. Everyone commenting is just trying to read their preferred narrative into it.

Yeah, but I feel like my point still stands. It's less a commentary on this specific incident and more an acknowledgement that there's a long history of companies instituting terrible cost cutting policies and then continuing to inact those policies even after they've been shown to cause direct and obvious harm that could easily be avoided were those policies changed.

It could be that this was just a freak accident, but there's also a chance it was caused by blatant disregard for safety procedures by upper management and if that's the case I'm concerned not enough will be done to force those in power to enact meaningful change.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skios posted:

Steve Breen

]

So legalize weed.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah it's a big contradiction, for 40 years they've been cutting welfare and justifying this by saying we need to discourage people from having kids they can't afford, it worked and now they're screaming about low birth rates.

Well I guess it's not necessarily a contradiction since they do have a "solution" in mind: ban birth control

Also, immigration is bad even if we need people here to do jobs. It's important to avoid giving people seeking asylum shelter at all costs.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pants Donkey posted:

I know I will catch hell from the woke Lycanthrope Lobby for saying this, but I must remain resolute in my principles: werewolves have no place in public schools.

No place?! You're mad! Mad I say! Everyone knows the only thing that can stop a bad guy who can turn into a wolf is a good guy who can turn into a wolf!

This whole post reeks of vampire propaganda.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

the_steve posted:

https://twitter.com/Pinko69420/status/1634651668443791360?s=20

Saw this cartoon while Twitter scrolling. Not sure about who the cartoonist is, other than a terf.

This is one of those "no one in the comic seems unhappy and nothing bad is happening, but trust me this is awful" political comics.

A person got a flat tire, another person stopped to help them, the person who got the flat tire is grateful to receive assistance and the person changing the tire is completely in control of the situation. And this is bad because.....?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Kojak, Jr.

Wait, so in this scenario a cop is able to remotely apprehend a suspect in a way that ensures no civilian is harmed or put in danger, and this is a bad thing? No one gets hurt, even the suspect, and the officer in charge behaved competently and consistently deescalated the situation when others tried to push it to a point that may cause unnecessary violence.

I know I'm late to the "the intended message here is confusing as hell" party, but, yeah, the intended message here is confusing as Hell. It would be bad if cops behaved rationally and prioritized using technology to prevent human injury because that's lazy?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

It pisses me off to see a movie I love referenced in such a stupid way. What does any of that stuff have to do with the film?!

Alhazred posted:

I mean, you tell me. This is taken from the norwegian book How To Make A Baby that I read to kindergartners:

This is probably fine for educational purposes in regards to young children, but Americans are super uncomfortable when it comes to sex and sexuality and would NEVER allow this in schools. Violence is much more socially acceptable here, have the couple shoot at each other instead and make it a book about Gun Use and now that's something we can put in the elementary school library.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

At this point I'm not even sure if I have enough information to know if this person was trans at all. Is the only thing supporting this that they used used "he/him" pronouns in a few online profiles?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'd think this was a parody mocking how stupid transphobia was if I didn't know it was meant to be 100% sincere.

"Watch out! Trans people are coming to steal all of your gender!"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

There's some really ugly irony in Sinfest telling people to stop harassing someone who's done nothing wrong when every other strip is about how trans people are evil and should be punished for being alive.

Also, the person who the comic is claiming has "done nothing wrong" has openly admitted to having committed crimes multiple times either via tweets or while on camera.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pants Donkey posted:

So long, gay Bowser.

What? How? Why? This one is just baffling.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Apparently the new Dungeons and Dragons movie is also being called anti-woke, which makes even less sense to me than saying the Mario movie is anti-woke.

So yeah, like others have said the new strategy seems to be just pointing to a successful film and declaring "anti-woke"!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Randalor posted:

But she's not even looking at the kid! She's just walking into the washroom, and that's apparently enough to justify wishing death on humanity.

A woman is existing in a public space while looking slightly different from the established appearance dictated by gender norms, this is apparently enough to wish for the end of the world as we know it (but I feel fine).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I know this one is trying to say "trans people bad" but it's one of the most confusing "trans = bad" I've ever seen.

Like, trans women are bad because then no one will be able to teach kids how to play catch, but the mom is completely capable of teaching her child how to play catch she's just a little busy at this exact second, so I guess the real problem is that this particular trans women just isn't interested in interacting with her son...?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Grape posted:

They also didn't like that purple haired soccer lady for not being feminine enough. So being a cis woman alone isn't even enough for this crowd.

There has been wide spread dismissal and ridicule aimed at cis woman who play sports professionally for decades and it doesn't look like that's going to stop any time soon.

This whole "protect woman's sports" movement is pretty obviously about attacking trans people (both trans men and trans women) and not about helping or respecting any women athletes trans or cis in any way what so ever. I haven't seen a single female professional athlete say a word on the issue at all, because their voices are not a relevant part of this conversation that's allegedly all about them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Technowolf posted:

Let's wash the taste of Tats out of our mouths with this cool kitty:

https://twitter.com/CatsOfYore/status/1652477875243880449?s=20

From what I've heard these suffragettes = cats images were meant to mock the idea of feminism, which seems insane from a modern perspective because this cat clearly rules and is worthy of respect. Why associate something you hate with one of the world's most beloved and adorable animals and then write a poem about that animal being a badass?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

After The War posted:

Which was all the more reason groups trying to subvert or change the status quo, like suffragettes, adopted the image. See also the IWW's black cat, whom I'm tellin' all y'all was called Sabotage:

The "sabo-tabby" (as he was nicknamed :kimchi:) didn't always have to look badass or scary to get the message across:

:3: We should bring these images back into popular culture, they're still adorable and still relevant.

:catstare: indeed, at least they specifically say you aren't supposed to kill the cat.

An article on cats as anti-suffragette symbols (that often look like pro-suffragette cartoons to modern eyes because the internet helped Americans realize cats are just weird little guys and we should love them): https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2013/12/04/the-feminization-of-the-cat-in-anti-suffrage-propaganda/

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yeah, I have no idea where this "Michelle Obama is gonna run!" idea comes from. One of the first things I remember learning about her is that she was very up front about not wanting a career in politics and kind of just hating the American political system in general, which is a valid way to feel I think.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I think this might be the most disingenuous Sinfest ever made, and that's saying something. It has weirdly racist portrayals of politicians that only vaguely resemble the people they're supposed to be (even the white lady looks off), completely ignores the issue those politicians were protesting against (Gun control), and just randomly throws in some transphobia even though trans people had nothing to do with the situation.

It's peak "making up poo poo to be mad about to prove the other side is bad and wrong".

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Angepain posted:

So he goes to woke hell, which is the hell you go to when you aren't woke, but it's also part of regular hell which is where the woke people go. This makes perfect sense

I think in Sinfest everyone goes to Hell regardless of their actions on earth, we've seen Hell a LOT but we've never seen heaven.

There is no salvation, only damnation for all.

"Trans women shouldn't exist because if they do I might be briefly attracted to one sexually and this is their fault for some reason."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Old school homophobia is back in a big way. I know this was always the end result of what people trying to use transexuality as a wedge issue wanted, but drat did it happen fast.

"I am disgusted that people with brown skin, homosexuals, and the physically disabled exist. Just hearing about them being alive makes me sick with rage. The only people worthy of respect are heterosexual blonde haired and blue eyed whites."

The term "gone full Nazi" is thrown around a lot these days, but wow.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vib Rib posted:

Oh, absolutely. They just had to lie about it for a while. And recently, they're becoming increasingly comfortable dropping that lie.

Yeah, "all gays are pedophiles" is creeping towards making a comeback as a mainstream talking point: https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/sign-homophobic-slur-front-florida-business-sparks-backlash-rcna86937

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Technowolf posted:

I think it's supposed to be a pregnant transgender man, but Ishida's art is so devoid of details it's hard to tell

I looked it up and Calvin Klein recently did some ads with trans men as models and one of the men was pregnant so that's probably the reference.

But, yeah, you can't really tell from the art that's what's going on (and the guy he drew looks nothing like the pregnant trans man that was in the ad). It just looks like some thicc dude, why is Sinfest so pissed off about body positivity?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Edit: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Rise of the Spite-o-cracy

Okay but like Trump did illegal stuff, openly and obviously he did not make it a secret. That picture of the stolen documents in his bathroom is now publicly available. This isn't a "spite" thing, this is a "crime" thing.