Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Coming in first to wish everyone a merry new year, and to hope that some day we will be free from political cartoons

edit: and by first I mean a distant third

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

nerd plus rage posted:

What in tarnation

broke-brain spider-holes in C-SPAM gonna broke-brain

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

"Maybe if I use sad cartoon animals to say 'gently caress off, we're full', it'll take the edge off?" - an rear end in a top hat, probably

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

World Famous W posted:

is this the first "those clowns in congress" of the new year?

Seems to be, and an absolute banger of a take for Payne to call the Senate clowns while the House takes a 14th vote on whether McCarthy will be speaker or not

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

A complication is iirc he's anti-union.

I don’t recall that; he’s often hard on bosses who don’t do well be their workers (but also hard on workers who shirk).

What really knocks him off the pedestal is when World War I starts and he goes full “how dare you sully our good boys fighting Over There by daring to question anything about the war”

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Things I have learned from this arc:

1: Sex workers all hate their work and especially hate having to be touched by johns, and therefore opposing sex work and sex workers is a key tenet to feminism
2: Redditors who use the "frens" meme are on the side of feminists and Christians
3: When you die, God will mock you to your friends

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

idonotlikepeas posted:

Herbert "Herblock" Block (1968)

For further context: this cartoon was right after the assassination of Dr. King, and the riots across the country following his assassination. Note that the gun holder is white, and the fire holder is black, because Herblock - the man who named McCarthyism when most others were cowed by it, the man who spent thirty years documenting how Nixon was a bum and a crook, one of the best and most revered political cartoonists of the 20th century - was still the kind of guy who thought "black people should protest, but not like that".

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Vib Rib posted:

"Black people reacting angrily to MLK's assassination are as bad as the assassins" basically.

Exactly.

In comparison, here's what Bill Mauldin drew following the assassination:

And to be clear, Herblock was great at calling out white hypocrisy and supporting MLK:

but also

and you can see in the previous comics and the following his desire to draw black protestors as straight-backed, square-jawed, long-suffering, completely model citizens:

which of course sets up a problem if you set up the argument that black people deserve rights because they're model citizens, and then you have to square that with them being actual people filled with anger and resentment.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I think technically we’re the extreme gay abortion club

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

The only thing I can think of is

1) "why did they choose hockey players?" refers to the idea that some nebulous "they" had a pick of different sports to "force" the atheletes to wear LGBTQ jerseys, and
2) there's something about the race of the athlete that would justify it, either that white athletes are being targeted, or that there's some stereotype about how nonwhite athletes would respond.

That’s literally it. It’s Mike Lester, who sees homophobia as good and righteous, and believes that there is a woke elite leftist cabal of media and corporate executives trying to brainwash good Americans into being ashamed of being white and with lies that minorities are actually good people

And so this elite media-rich-team-owner cabal - the “they” he speaks of - decided to force gayness down the throat of good Americans because said cabal. And the reason the NHL had pride week instead of the NFL or NBA? Well, if a black person were rightfully critical of gay people, the the cabal would have to confront the dichotomy of a black person being non-woke, and that would literally make their brains explode! So they chose the NHL instead, knowing that when good honest Christians opposed celebration of sodomy, those people could be written off as “of course they’re non-woke and awful, they’re white” like the media-corporate executive cabal wants you to believe

Edit: Lester loves saying ":actually: racism and homophobia are good and normal brain ways of thinking about people" and having minority characters say those things to prove that it's a common normal belief and not racist at all. Like, when Atlanta had that huge controversy about the Braves moving the stadium out of the city because rich white suburbanites didn't want to go near those people to see their games, Lester wrote a bunch of cartoons with black people saying "yes, moving the stadium to be away from [dogwhistle]AlL tHe CrImE[/dogwhistle] is smart and good but ThEy ReFuSe To ExPlAiN iT tHaT wAy and pretend it's RACIST"

Edit edit: jesus, I could like, know physics or how to play the guitar or something useful and honest and good but no, instead I've got brain space cataloguing the specific flavors of racism differentiating Lester from Stiglich and Varvel, three names no decent person even knows

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 24, 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

I'm not expressing my take on it very well, but we're a very culturally insular people about this stuff as the always timeless World Series joke points out. I just don't think Lester is thinking too hard about it because even if it is true and even if there's some more diversity now he wouldn't view it as anything like that, it'd be an attack on whiteness because hockey = whiteness to people like him. He's absolutely a guy with a $900/mo payment for a truck that hauls spreadsheets to the office. Or badly drawn people to his study I guess. Surface level thinking is the best you're gonna get which is unfortunate because he confuses it for deep analysis.

To make it clearer, I think - I hope - to non-Americans who seem to be confused about the American perspective on race Lester is leaning on:

Baseball, basketball, and American football: sports filled with non-white minorities, and non-white minorities aren’t really Americans, so the fact that baseball has a huge population of Latin American and Caribbean immigrants doesn’t matter because they’re not American by skin color anyways

Hockey: sports filled with an overwhelmingly white population, and the fact that they’re largely non-United States citizens doesn’t matter because they’re white and live in America and therefore Americans

Having seen Brexit railings about Polish immigrants I realize the “immigration status is far less important than skin color” is not at all how Europeans process their racism, so hopefully this helps

Edit: sorry, should be “immigration status and class is far less important than skin color” to account for the current Tory government

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Leak, son of Leak once again proving he’s son of Leak

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

DalaranJ posted:

Biden making GBS threads right on the head of the "I am very intellegent" guy.

I'm not even sure what the metaphor of America being a well, or even a person making GBS threads in a well is supposed to be?

A well is often used as a metaphor for the public and the public good, because prior to modern plumbing, a village well or local wells were the main source of water and if bad things happen to them, everyone gets sick. Thus, you have phrases like “poisoning the well” where someone adds irrelevant or tangential information to the discourse in order to bias the public against a side.

Branco is declaring that Biden is making GBS threads in the public discourse and destroying our health and well-being as Americans. Which is incredibly ironic given what a piece of poo poo Branco is and the turd comics he poops out.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

bandaid.friend posted:

This is the "Trump vs Biden's handling of documents" cartoons we saw a few weeks ago, but with the actors changed. Now the Democrat's the one who stole documents and refused to return them, the Republican acted quickly and honestly on discovering an error, and we've forgotten about Trump entirely

I wouldn't call it opposite-of-reality but the reality distortion's just so blatant. It's sickening!

“Biden and Pence did literally the same thing, but when Pence did it it was okay and when Biden did it it was illegal and malicious” is just such an open “blue man bad” take, it’s amazing

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I am sad to think of what Mayor Lewis’ opinion of Brexit might be, and fearful of how he would look in British Politoons

Kellies nomination: best edit

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Microplastics posted:

That gas stove is releasing thick black clouds of smoke so either it really needs to go or that liver and onion is being destroyed

Lord knows if I were stuck in Gary McCoy's world my liver would be absolutely destroyed already

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Korthal posted:

I can explain.

But with an anime girl.

Nope, only raises more questions

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

The American Dream disintegrated under its fragile infrastructure by Cai Meng

The U.S.' crumbling infrastructure has no effect on the American Dream, which is clearly built upon bedrock, A Patriotic Libertarian Cartoon

No, seriously, everything about how they're trying to construct this metaphor is wrong

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Adenoid Dan posted:

I generally don't like to give Biden credit, but 50 years seems like a reasonable amount of time to be able to change your mind on an issue.

Remember, ever changing your mind about something is a sign of weakness and moral decay, for you should have perfectly reasoned yourself into the correct position from the get-go

SubG posted:

Thus, by a continuous shifting of politoon focus, Biden is at the same time shooting down too many and too few balloons.

Unless of course completely reversing your position allows you to attack an enemy, in which case it is clearly morally superior and only an absolute fool would hold the same stand as new facts come to light

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Vib Rib posted:

So what's the alternative reason? Terrorism?

Accidents do, in fact, happen, and no amount of regulation actually prevents all accidents from ever occurring

While deregulation is bad and contemptible and safety should be a top priority etc etc etc none of that means that this specific accident would have been prevented if deregulation had been prevented

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I'm reasonably sure Payne has a checklist of everything negative anyone ever said about Trump and is using it to figure out what to say about Biden.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

There is nothing cartoonists love more than getting to comment on other cartoonists, so I’m pretty sure we’re going to get all of the takes on this.

I’m honestly looking forward to seeing Garrison try to bridge the gap between his love for white supremacy and his hatred of Scott Adams

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, and now Scott is getting even more salty about being cancelled, in ways that pretty much are "well if you're going to say I'm a racist, might as well pull off the mask":

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1630186244327227393

edit: I think a white guy saying "I identified as black for several years" is possibly the most blindered, priveleged thing I've ever heard, it literally stunned me in how offensive and idiotic it was

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 27, 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Bolling is so good.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Neito posted:

I feel like Bennett's well-intentioned here, but ultimately transphobic.

Is it? Asking genuinely, here. I don’t think the intent of the cartoon is “lol guy in a dress” like the clearly transphobic McCoy, Lester, Garrison cartoons are; it’s trying to highlight that the guy making the ban is a hypocrite who wants to be allowed to do what he wants but ban others from doing the same.

But I am not an expert in LGBTQIA issues and will absolutely defer to others.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fair enough on that Bennett, thank you all for your responses. I see what you all mean, and I won't defend it any further.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

“We Wuz Robbed” isn’t a sign that Bok is racist, it’s a sign that he’s really really old. It used to be a pretty common catchphrase in sports with exactly that spelling, and it had nothing to do with AAVE, it was based on Joe Jacob’s NY accent.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/we-wuz-robbed

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Democrats see child migrants as human beings deserving citizenship and care, for which they will be rewarded by those children voting for them. Republicans see child migrants as cheap labor to be discarded.

A Would Be A Good Cartoon But I Honestly Can’t See How Benson Means Anything Else Even Though She Must Because She’s A Giant GOP Hack Cartoon

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Aoi posted:

racism

(to be more detailed, Chicago's gun death numbers are used as a straw man for conservatives to point at and say 'it's not guns, because chicago is a big liberal city with strict gun laws, it's actually all the <OMITTED> black people being subhuman animals inherently predisposed to crime and violence and also gun laws don't work, clearly, so')

(because they're racists who also love their identity reinforcement tools/firearms)

It’s also racism in that, as some of the cartoons show, Lightfoot being a gay black woman leads some conservatives to assert that she was a “diversity hire” chosen by voters entirely due to her identify, and therefore her failure as a mayor is 100% proof that you should never hire or elect anything other than straight white men.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, Ishida is teasing that broken handmaiden will at some point massacre a bunch of johns and that she’ll be heroic for doing it; though I wouldn’t be surprised if he sets her up to do it, has her back down at the last minute due to godliness/compassion and then has a fed dressed as a handmaiden do it because he’s doing a bang up job of simultaneously pushing “we true patriots should do something” and “all of the done somethings so far were fed false flags”

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Double post, but I can’t stop being amazed by the sheer downwards spiral of all of this

Concept: one of the brightest artists of the nascent webcomics movement asks, what if peanuts and c&h but with frat bros trying to get laid

Outcome: screaming transphobia so loudly it makes other terfs nervous

Like, it’s the Eric Clapton story if Clapton never had any mainstream success and was known mostly to internet shutins

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Wait, I thought Aflred E. Neumann was supposed to be Mayor Pete

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It just really pisses me off that this thread is overflowing with homophobia, transphobia, racism, misogyny, and contempt for all those struggling, and that when this sonofabitch complains about the lack of empathy, it’s code for “why won’t democrats be nice to me and my libertarian ideas”

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Dilbert with swear words??????? And angrier??? Oh man this is going to be da bomb! I’m gettin’ jiggy with how on the edge this is going to be!

Also please help, I seem to have traveled back in time to 1997

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I AM GRANDO posted:

Did dilbertman get dumped by the syndicate? Last I heard, it was just a bunch of papers dropping him.

Yeah, Andrews McMeall Syndicate dropped his strip and all his books. He’s out of papers entirely unless he finds a new distributor (he won’t, which is why he’s moving to self publishing and doing stuff on his website)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Man, Rall seems super sensitive about the idea that someone could get in trouble for saying stupid, hateful poo poo.

I wonder why that is.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Pants Donkey posted:

So Lester’s statistic of “gender surgeries tripling” for minors is that gender dysphoria diagnoses have tripled since 2017. Because clearly everyone one of those kids is going to opt for surgery :lol: What a dishonest gently caress.

Oh and that 42,000 diagnoses, which amounts to uh…0.016% of minors in the US. Weird how Lester went for the more sensationalist number.

Also, even if Lester was right about it being surgeries, and even if Lester was right about the increase being dramatic, it still ignores that due to a lack of understanding and lack of awareness gender reassignment was being under-diagnosed prior to then, and the dramatic change may have much more to do with an exposure of normal levels than some “well all the kids my ages are getting their dicks cut off, I want to join the cool kids too”

An issue that has come up repeatedly when discussing LGBTQIA issues and mental health issues, btw.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Kojak, Jr.
]

An honest to god kojak reference in 2023. Way to stay hip with the kids, Rall

Edit: wait, this cartoon is a lot worse than I even thought it was

Like, Kojak jr is perfectly competent at his job and does everything well and correctly

The complaint isn’t “giving the police access to advanced technologies will increase the dangers when they abuse their authority like they always do”

It’s literally “giving the police access to advanced technologies makes their job too easy,, and therefore they are more boring than the police of previous times”

How just absolutely stupid do you have to be to claim to be an anti authority left winger but your complaint about police surveillance is that it means cops don’t get enough exercise

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 13, 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Even that it's like, okay still better than just getting shot for taking my phone out of my pocket.

Like he's not just portraying cops taking advantage of creeping Big Tech intrusions to privacy while everything else stays the same, he drew the cops doing that instead of all the much worse stuff they do now

Yeah, exactly, it's 100% "cops today are lazy and have it easy back in my day cops were TV heros" which is so weird to hear from someone who continues to insist he is The Leftist Icon In Modern America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Stultus Maximus posted:

Frank got a million bucks as a Signature board member after his time in Congress and actively pushed for the weakening of his own bill for the benefit of Signature after receiving the aforementioned million bucks.

When the Republican cartoonist is arguing, "look at the Democrat who caused this, it's the Democrat's fault the Democrats the Democrats the Democrats", saying "well, yes, technically that's true" is not actually good