Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
We are deep in the grim footballing winter. The world cup is dead. Cristiano Ronaldo is dead. Liverpool's title ambitions are extremely dead. Leeds are crap.

January, however, is also a time for positivity and expectations for the year ahead. Arsenal are winning the league. Newcastle are finishing top 4. Erling Haaland is going to break alan shearers career goals record in a single season. There are approximately 400 games a week. Frank Lampard still has a job.

Here's the table:

10 points between 11th and 20th, the bottom half of the league is an absolute knife fight.

Notable games this month include the title decider between arsenal and newcastle tomorrow, the manchester derby on the 14th, the north London derby on the 15th, and idk Leeds v west ham should be good for a laugh.

Transfer window's open as well. Gakpo is off the board but still plenty of time for clubs to drop a comically large amount of money on some world cup guy who had 3 good games

Marsch out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I was going to ask when the next game is but Arsenal v Newcastle tomorrow, phwoar.

Also I'm feeling optimistic as a Villa fan for the first time in quite a while. It looks like we finally got a decent manager.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Many good ebenings to come, I feel.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

If Newcastle finish ahead of Manchester Red Flavour do they get to be the default team everyone understands people to mean when they just say "United"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sebzilla posted:

If Newcastle finish ahead of Manchester Red Flavour do they get to be the default team everyone understands people to mean when they just say "United"

*Taps microphone*

No

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

sebzilla posted:

:confused: when people say "United" I've always assumed they were talking about Sheffield

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

im rooting for brentford

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

:confused: when people say "United" I've always assumed they were talking about Sheffield

This but Cambridge

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

webmeister posted:

This but Cambridge

Oxford United are livid

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

whatever happened to the totally-not-Thomas Partey rape thing

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

whatever happened to the totally-not-Thomas Partey rape thing

The charges brought by the lady who went public were dismissed for some technical reason. The other one is still being investigated maybe? They extended his bail a couple months ago.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wasn't there 3?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
benjamin mendy still isnt in jail and he had a literal rape dungeon and a man he paid to go out and find women for him to rape, i wouldn't hold your breath

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TheRat posted:

Wasn't there 3?

Three different incidents with two women, apparently.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Usually Tottenham Hotspur in 5th and in Champions League knock outs would be very good for this part of the season.

Unfortunately we are playing the worst football in the league and have probably the worst defence in the top half.
Hoping that Father January Transfer window can deliver a Centre back, a goalkeeper, a right back, a creative midfield player and some cover for Kulusevski.
We can offer an Emerson Royale in exchange

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Unfortunately we are playing the worst football in the league

Laughs in Scouse.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

If you haven't seen the Everton Brighton highlights from last night https://soccercatch.com/matches/18535166/everton-vs-brighton-hove-albion#media

Lampard has got to be gone. The Everton 'play' on Brighton's fourth is shocking. The crowd is seething. Really enjoyable watch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's mad, Everton looked good for the first five mins and then massively fell away

Edit: I keep coming back to it, it's amazing. Fluffing the free kick, and then instead of trying to keep the pressure on deciding to play back, and then doing a poo poo awful job of doing that. lol.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 4, 2023

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/Michael_TSB/status/1610567357356818433?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

stonks

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

What in the world is a Leeds United fan token?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Get a load of this guy who doesn't know that $LUFC Fan Tokens are a form of cryptoasset that can be purchased on the Socios.com app using the digital currency, Chiliz ($CHZ). 

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Yeah but you'd get to vote for what song they'll play at half time. Surely that counts for something?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Get a load of this guy who doesn't know that $LUFC Fan Tokens are a form of cryptoasset that can be purchased on the Socios.com app using the digital currency, Chiliz ($CHZ). 

We all hate Leeds

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1610584437791637505

rut-roh

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
oh good, injuries

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
rip to one half of the dildo brothers:

https://twitter.com/FootballJOE/status/1610637021189373954

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

greazeball posted:

If you haven't seen the Everton Brighton highlights from last night https://soccercatch.com/matches/18535166/everton-vs-brighton-hove-albion#media

Lampard has got to be gone. The Everton 'play' on Brighton's fourth is shocking. The crowd is seething. Really enjoyable watch.

Third and fourth goals are hilarious.

Also RIP to a dildo bro

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The UK has changed prime minister since the last time spurs were first to score and changed twice since they were last 3-0 up in the league

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Jose posted:

The UK has changed prime minister since the last time spurs were first to score and changed twice since they were last 3-0 up in the league

they just won 4-0 yesterday? maybe i'm misunderstanding

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Blinkz0rz posted:

they just won 4-0 yesterday? maybe i'm misunderstanding

Yeah maybe you are

In between the times spurs have done that all that stuff happened

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1611297891326504960

Sucks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:(

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
58, that's terrible.

was he the last player-manager in the premier league?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Gutted, so drat cruel.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

peanut- posted:

58, that's terrible.

was he the last player-manager in the premier league?

Technically Ryan Giggs was player-manager for the few games he was in charge.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I had no idea he was sick - after getting the all clear once it came back, what a lovely break :( rip to a real one

If not the last player manager surely the last premier league player to have spent his childhood living in an actual castle

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Loved him as a player and he always seemed like a gentleman. RIP.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

I don’t remember exactly how many Premier League clubs signed up with Socios but Arsenal definitely also were one and I doubt their fan token is doing much better.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

The Juve side with Vialli & Ravanelli upfront plus del Piero was one that we would recreate in our after school kickabouts, RIP to a legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Oh drat. That's why there were sampdoria scarves and Italian TV crews outside work. RIP