Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thauros posted:

Full card for New Japan X Noah show year 2. It;s not on the schedule on World yet ut according to the official preview on the global site it'll be available in English on New Japan World as a PPV, no mention of price

WRESTLE KINGDOM 17
January 21st 3:00 AM EDT/8:00 GMT/17:00 JST Main Card
Yokohama Arena - PPV on ABEMA and NJPW World

Preshow: 1 hour before gong:

Kosei Fujita and Ryohei Oiwa vs. Yasutaka Yano and Taishi Oizawa
Tomohiro Ishii and Oskar Leube vs. Masa Kitamiya and Daiki Inaba

Main card:

Tanahashi, Yano, Kojima, and Sugiura vs. Marufuji, KENTA, El-P, and Gedo
El Desperado vs. YO-HEY
Tiger Mask, Ryusuke Taguchi, and Master Wato vs. AMAKUSA, Junta MIyawaki, and Alejandro
Kazuchika Okada and Togi Makabe vs. Kaito Kiyomiya and Yoshiki Inamura
L.I.J vs. KONGOH:BUSHI vs. Tadasuke
L.I.J vs. KONGOH:Hiromu Takahashi vs. Hajime Ohara
L.I.J vs. KONGOH:SANADA vs. Manabu Soya
L.I.J vs. KONGOH:Shingo Takagi vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima
L.I.J vs. KONGOH:Tetsuya Naito vs. Kenoh

https://twitter.com/Himanshu_Doi/status/1611295831969394689?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, it's the old stuff but he's never really shown any contrition for it as far as I can tell.

Fair. Swap him into the Bushi match to make it skippable and move my sleazy boy Tadasuke into the Hiromu match

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Goddamn Shingo looks good in glasses

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Goddamn Shingo looks good in glasses

They are both pretty dreamy to be fair

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Shingo vs Nakajima holy poo poo

And a Bushi singles match too lol

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

it's the framing of thew shot, but the Kongoh boys looks so dinky and wee.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Lamuella posted:

it's the framing of thew shot, but the Kongoh boys looks so dinky and wee.

I mean, during the press conference interruption, the Kongoh lads ended up looking like shouty clowns.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have largely been out of NJPW since EVIL won the titles in 2020. I really enjoyed WK and NYD. I'm going to make a much higher effort this year to watch more NJPW. My problem is that I have such a hard time watching stuff on delay. If I'm not watching it live I'm not interested.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I have largely been out of NJPW since EVIL won the titles in 2020. I really enjoyed WK and NYD. I'm going to make a much higher effort this year to watch more NJPW. My problem is that I have such a hard time watching stuff on delay. If I'm not watching it live I'm not interested.

Honestly, once you get in the habit of it it's no big deal. Now most stuff I watch is not live, either because it starts at 3am or I just have other stuff on at 10am.

Could always try getting some friends together over Discord at watching it "as live" with them. Recreates the vibe of posting through a GDT

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have some friends that I got into AEW (we watch together on Wednesday on Discord). Maybe I'll try to get them to watch NJPW with me

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Or just move to Australia and watch it all live.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

I mean, during the press conference interruption, the Kongoh lads ended up looking like shouty clowns.

Getting into a promo battle with Naito or Shingo individually is probably gonna end up in you getting embarrassed. Trying to do both at once is always going to make you look like a clown.

Kenoh’s whole gimmick is always gonna lean into him looking like a clown tbf

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1611533153243627521?s=46&t=T3LXGFahO4ccPG7bH4hd5A

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
oh hell yeah

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Great stuff

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

edogawa rando posted:

shouty clown

Please don't give away the name of Kenoh's biography.

civilwhat
Apr 24, 2010
Why do have insult Jinsei Shinzaki greatest solider like that?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://ameblo.jp/highfly-tana/entry-12783023640.html

Hiroshi Tanahashi posted:

2年以上、続いていた #NJPWSTRONG が、今回の収録分をもって、終わりになります。海外での大会は、今後、違う形でお伝えすることになるみたいです。

Google translating Hiroshi Tanahashi posted:

#NJPWSTRONG, which has been going on for over two years, will come to an end with this recording. It seems that overseas tournaments will be announced in a different form in the future.

:ohdear:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

honestly i always thought focusing on a handful of big shows in the us a year was a smarter move than a full time promotion. many are speculating the la dojo/strong guys might be working roh given khan's statment

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah if New Japan are doing a close collab with ROH then there's no point in trying to run Strong on top of that when Tony can do most of the work for you

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Strong was primarily just a way to give the LA dojo boys reps working matches in the middle of COVID, that also happened to be a really good testing ground for indie guys and the endless line of recent WWE firings to get some New Japan office eyes on them. But with Tony buying and reviving ROH, that can reassume its place as the US excursion promotion, while also being the “finishing school” for LA dojo grads before they get sent to RevPro and/or CMLL to learn to work in front of those audiences. ROH was a closed bubble through the end of the Sinclair era, let’s not forget, and Strong was them patching over losing their major US partner as a destination for developing talent.

Wonder if that means we’ll get Claudio vs Fred Rosser to merge the NJ Strong title into the ROH belt and MCMG vs Briscoes to merge the tag belts, or if they’ll just be quietly abandoned.

Comedy option: Rosser vs Okada and we get a Rossermaker spot

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I used to watch Strong each week but then there was just too much else on and I never really kept up with it. Which is a shame, because the matches were always good, and whenever they did a big show that I did watch it was generally excellent.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

I fuckin loved strong tbh & im very sad at this news. sometimes alex koslov made me laugh like an insane person

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Aw, I'll miss Strong. Hopefully Team Filthy are semi-regulars in Japan!

I guess if the Dojo Boys are on ROH I'm much more likely to tune in.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

As long as we get what ever fusion of ROH/Strong on World I'll be okay make it happen Obari

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I used to watch Strong each week but then there was just too much else on and I never really kept up with it. Which is a shame, because the matches were always good, and whenever they did a big show that I did watch it was generally excellent.

same, it didn't help that the production went way downhill once they brought in a live audience. partnering up with ROH seems like it could be the best of both worlds

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If Strong goes the thing I will miss about it will be the in-ring workrate, the Dojo guys, and the chances it gave to American indie talent. It was never really a wonderful source for story. But I would miss it if it went.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It felt like the spiritual successor to WCW Saturday Night in many ways

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

This probably isn't gonna happen, but Okada vs Nakajima would definitely be a way to silence some of the critics who have been saying Okada being champ is boring because we've seen all the matchups before.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

This probably isn't gonna happen, but Okada vs Nakajima would definitely be a way to silence some of the critics who have been saying Okada being champ is boring because we've seen all the matchups before.

Who are these critics? Because bemoaning a title reign from Okada seems dumb. Is it weirdos on Twitter who've watched 2 NJPW matches ever, or actual people with even the vaguest clue?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
A lot of the English speaking fanbase watch the big shows only. Also njpw really did vanish from the minds of a lot of fans at some point in 2020 to slowly start coming back over 2022

So for some fans he lost the title and then was champ again. He went two years with one title match where he put shingo over clean but plenty of people missed that.

The reality is that the only thing proven to draw in pro wrestling is pushing the poo poo out the top guy. Okada is closer to the end of his time as ace than the beginning and he has a host of interesting programs with guys like Shota, ren, etc over the coming years as he grimly hangs on in kayfabe.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

do people posting here count

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I feel like Tana might have one big Dome main event in him still, for one last match in the Okada v. Tanahashi rivalry.

But yeah, my viewership of NJPW dropped massively during 2020.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/takamiohbari/status/1611988441721622529?s=46&t=6VfcmJl0wzWNBITa56r3Tw

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So is it safe to read this as an end to the weekly shows? If so, that's a shame. My brain consumes episodic wrestling better than show wrestling.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

Lamuella posted:

If Strong goes the thing I will miss about it will be the in-ring workrate, the Dojo guys, and the chances it gave to American indie talent. It was never really a wonderful source for story. But I would miss it if it went.

a couple angles did break on strong like uh *checks notes* christoph daniels kicking uemura in the dick

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

baka fwocka fwame posted:

a couple angles did break on strong like uh *checks notes* christoph daniels kicking uemura in the dick

Being fair, Team Filthy were / are a fun unit. And Strong is where TMDK formed.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lamuella posted:

So is it safe to read this as an end to the weekly shows? If so, that's a shame. My brain consumes episodic wrestling better than show wrestling.

Yeah, I enjoyed the routine of watching Strong on Sunday morning.

The other downside of this is that the fewer "quality" shows will presumably be PPVs.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

Being fair, Team Filthy were / are a fun unit. And Strong is where TMDK formed.

TMDK becoming a regular faction in Japan and Tom Lawlor's positive G1 reception makes me hope Team Filthy will be showing up over there as well

I just wanna do the filthy claps again :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

NJPW 2023 - I Just Wanna Do The Filthy Claps Again