Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Trigun Stampede is a reimagining of the classic manga by Yasuhiro Nightow that was previously adapted into an equally classic anime by Madhouse. This adaptation, animated in CG by Studio Orange, is less of a straight adaptation of the manga and aims more to provide a different take on the source material, with new character designs and dynamics. Following Vash the Stampede, a wanted criminal, the series will chronicle his true nature and his relationship with the mysterious Millions Knives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzZYXqUdp5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxYqXOL5uLk

Characters

Vash the Stampede (Yoshitsugu Matsuoka)
A mysterious gunman whose crimes have given him a $$6 million bounty, despite his pacifism. He is an expert on the mysterious plants that power the planet of Noman's Land.

Millions Knives (Junya Ikeda)
An enigmatic figure from Vash's past.

Meryl Strife (Sakura Andou)
A rookie reporter with an idealistic outlook and a drive to find the truth.

Roberto De Niro (Kenji Matsuda)
Meryl's jaded veteran partner and mentor.

Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Yoshimasa Hoyosa)
An undertaker with a large cross on his back who encounters Vash.

Trigun Stampede airs Saturdays on Crunchyroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Now, there's no Milly in this episode, but Millions Knives starts with "Mill" too, so they have obviously made her the main antagonist

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Felt weird when I was hearing obvious English loan words like "scoop" and "double dollars" and the subtitles didn't use them.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Like the new series, missing the original music though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad start, still hoping they stick Milly in there in some capacity as well (not entirely sure why they replaced her with an OC character but he’s ok so far)

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I have no attachment to the original series (I got shown a couple of episodes a decade and a half ago) or manga, so coming at it with fresh eyes I thought this looks awesome. I am absolutely down for a fun sci-fi western that's this much of a feast for the eyes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’m glad they stuck with the best girl

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I know the Japanese cast is brand new as far as I’m aware but I wonder if there’s a chance of them getting any of the English VAs back when this eventually gets dubbed (Johnny Bosch would probably be willing to return at least)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

JYB has expressed that he's more than willing to return, and I'd like to see it since Vash was literally his first VA role and it'd be fun to contrast with him after 25 years of experience.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It'd be an interesting contrast for sure but I can't remember the last time I heard JYB freak out as hard as Vash does in the bullet scene in this ep

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arist posted:

It'd be an interesting contrast for sure but I can't remember the last time I heard JYB freak out as hard as Vash does in the bullet scene in this ep

You mentioned you haven't watched all that much of the 90s show, but if you do decide to watch more of it JYB has got some really good mental breakdowns and freakouts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, for being kind of a soft spoken guy in general the dude actually has some impressive range

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

One negative: I did not like the opening, would much rather see it as a moody ending.

Otherwise loved it. My husband is a big fan of the cartoony animation.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Arc Hammer posted:

You mentioned you haven't watched all that much of the 90s show, but if you do decide to watch more of it JYB has got some really good mental breakdowns and freakouts.

JYB does total mental breakdown at the end of Danganronpa 2 and its pretty drat good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, they really got into the main plot immediately compared to the first adaptation. Is this only going to be one cour?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Weird feeling of not quire nostalgia watching this, given Trigun was one of the first anime I actively went out of my way to find and watch online, back in ye olden days of internet. That aside, the episode was fun and I dig the outro; it almost comes off like a presitage American drama intro/outro with all the shots of things fading to or shifting with sand. I found the 7 Cities map kind of fun too:

It's a bit blurry, at least in the only quality my computer was able to get it (my connection isn't amazing by any stretch, so others might get a better shot), but as is you can see:

• Deuce Dump
  • Taradiddles Coast
  • Sage's Piss
  • Sage's Vomit
  • Orange Bazoo
  • Stinky Lakeside
  • Bone Orchard

Along with what appears to be a placed called "William T. Bonney". I know Orchard should be read as in "an apple orchard", but I'm choosing to read it as "Orc Hard", because the name "Bone Orc Hard" makes me smile the same way names like "Sage's Vomit" do. I assume there's probably a few Engrish moments in there, like seemingly calling a "pass" a "piss", "Hopless Sand Falls", which is presumably meant to be "Hopeless Sand Falls" etc. Still fun though. I think it's made up for the show too, since I found this when searching for a map of Gunsmoke (the planet) from the manga

I'm not sure if that's actually accurate though. It could just be some Deviantart guy's personal idea of what the map is or should be. The episode's endcard is nice too:

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 7, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I believe the endcard is the same piece of concept art that was used when the anime was announced last year.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sindai posted:

Wow, they really got into the main plot immediately compared to the first adaptation. Is this only going to be one cour?

From what little I've read about Trigun, apparently the main plot was revealed pretty close to the start of the original manga as well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arist posted:

From what little I've read about Trigun, apparently the main plot was revealed pretty close to the start of the original manga as well.

Yeah it's more that the original anime took its time doing its own thing.

I'm cool with this new anime showing some of its cards early, especially if it's gonna only be about a dozen eps.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My only complaint is that the episode felt a bit compressed, like it needed a few more scenes to breath.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Can anyone explain the July/JuLai thing? (Like if there's something in the manga that could be related to this, because right now it just looks like they haven't settled on a spelling.)

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
The characters are so expressive and vibrant. Studio Orange is just flexing on everyone else trying to lean on 3D to save time/budget.

It seems like rather than give all the Secret Backstory in one dump late in the show they’re showing us the colony ships early and then gradually revealing Rem’s significance.

I don’t remember if the manga got into the details of Vash’s gun but it’s a fun touch that it uses less powerful ammunition than more common 9mm or .45 pistols.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Not Keyser Soze posted:

The characters are so expressive and vibrant. Studio Orange is just flexing on everyone else trying to lean on 3D to save time/budget.

It seems like rather than give all the Secret Backstory in one dump late in the show they’re showing us the colony ships early and then gradually revealing Rem’s significance.

I don’t remember if the manga got into the details of Vash’s gun but it’s a fun touch that it uses less powerful ammunition than more common 9mm or .45 pistols.

It may be able to hold .22 magnum rounds for some extra grunt, which are usually reserved for rifles rather than pistols.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

It may be able to hold .22 magnum rounds for some extra grunt, which are usually reserved for rifles rather than pistols.

Actually, and I corrected myself in the season thread, .22 LR and .22 Magnum are not drop-in interchangeable and not just because of the different cartridge length. The outer diameter of the .22 Magnum case is larger than on .22 LR on account of thicker case walls to handle the higher pressure and to accommodate normal bullets instead of heeled bullets used in .22 LR. As a result, .22 Magnum will flat out not fit in a .22 LR gun and .22 LR cannot be fired safely in a .22 Magnum gun on account of being a little too small for the chamber and, because the case isn't fully supported in the chamber, liable to blow up the cartridge.
:goonsay:

So yeah, Vash's gun is definitely chambered for .22 LR which is not as impressive as the original's .45 Colt but it is sufficient for most of his shenanigans like in this episode. I wasn't sure what he was going to do with a single round of .22 LR against a mass of incoming cluster bombs but throwing that rock and blowing that up with the bullet to knock the bombs out was still ridiculous but not to the point of being completely unrealistic. On the other hand, the round getting shot out of his hands and bouncing about on the ground but still able to fire was more unrealistic (FYI bullets are not bulletproof and can be rather fragile and finicky if badly mistreated) but I guess it's supposed to be a silly gag like the duel. I think? That whole duel plot was weird and felt like it only existed to give an excuse to introduce Vash's creed of non-violence and his super-human gun skills.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Love the face animations, but body movement looks weird to me.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Was pretty apprehensive when I heard someone was doing a CG reboot of Trigun but my fears were mostly assuaged by the trailers, and while it did kind of speedrun through some of the setup I loved the first episode.

Show looks great. CG anime can look really good when it's not trying to pretend it isn't CG and just leans into it. There's a lot of soul in this animation. I've been using Land of the Lustrous as an example of "anime cg that actually looks nice" since it aired, so I'm glad Studio Orange is on this one, they really seem to know what they're doing in this space.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Edward IV posted:

Actually, and I corrected myself in the season thread, .22 LR and .22 Magnum are not drop-in interchangeable and not just because of the different cartridge length. The outer diameter of the .22 Magnum case is larger than on .22 LR on account of thicker case walls to handle the higher pressure and to accommodate normal bullets instead of heeled bullets used in .22 LR. As a result, .22 Magnum will flat out not fit in a .22 LR gun and .22 LR cannot be fired safely in a .22 Magnum gun on account of being a little too small for the chamber and, because the case isn't fully supported in the chamber, liable to blow up the cartridge.
:goonsay:

So yeah, Vash's gun is definitely chambered for .22 LR which is not as impressive as the original's .45 Colt but it is sufficient for most of his shenanigans like in this episode. I wasn't sure what he was going to do with a single round of .22 LR against a mass of incoming cluster bombs but throwing that rock and blowing that up with the bullet to knock the bombs out was still ridiculous but not to the point of being completely unrealistic. On the other hand, the round getting shot out of his hands and bouncing about on the ground but still able to fire was more unrealistic (FYI bullets are not bulletproof and can be rather fragile and finicky if badly mistreated) but I guess it's supposed to be a silly gag like the duel. I think? That whole duel plot was weird and felt like it only existed to give an excuse to introduce Vash's creed of non-violence and his super-human gun skills.

I really loved the episode but his gun using 22lr was a really weird choice. I assume they did that because it's not traditionally been a round for fighting. It's a target shooting, practice, and survivalist round, which matches Vash's creed well.

45 long Colt as the original caliber is also a weird choice but kind of leans into the faux western setting. I think if it were my choice his gun would be in 38 or 357 since Vash is an anachronism and so is 38/357 in the setting. It's too advanced for the wild west but too old fashioned for the future. It also has enough punch that it would seem more plausible when he does cool stuff like shoot rocks into tiny pieces.

Realistically 22lr just doesn't have to velocity or mass to do the cool things like that, but it's an anime so it'll do them anyway.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Why did Rim have to die this time? Last time she got cooked trying to lead some of the ships down safely thus humanity surviving. This time she wanted to see an explosion first hand? Idk.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Show is good. I never saw the original, but Studio Orange has yet to disappoint. I love the way the glasses change from reflective to transparent when it suits them, it works well.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Philosopher King posted:

Why did Rim have to die this time? Last time she got cooked trying to lead some of the ships down safely thus humanity surviving. This time she wanted to see an explosion first hand? Idk.

If I had to guess, they'll do an expanded flashback in a later episode and we'll see Rem survives that explosion and returns to the control deck or whatever to mitigate Knives' sabotage

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Daedalus1134 posted:

Show is good. I never saw the original, but Studio Orange has yet to disappoint. I love the way the glasses change from reflective to transparent when it suits them, it works well.

Watch the 90’s version at some point, it’s still pretty good (never read the manga though so I can’t speak for that)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If the gun goons have a question about the guns, remind yourself that this is sci-fi

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Gung Ho Goons

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

If the gun goons have a question about the guns, remind yourself that this is sci-fi

This is sci-fi by a gigantic gun nerd who probably did put all that thought into his made-up far-future anime guns, though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I doubt it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

I doubt it

Nightow's author notes on his characters' guns in his manga are alarmingly extensive and detailed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nightow is a big gun nerd, yeah.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

This is sci-fi by a gigantic gun nerd who probably did put all that thought into his made-up far-future anime guns, though.

Is he involved in this anime adaption though? I went to look up what he's done since Trigun ended, and was reminded about both his work in Gungrave and that he did Blood Blockade Battlefront, which I thought was fun for the one season I saw of it. I just found out there's a second season, and should check out the manga at some point; I bounced off the Trigun manga because I had problems processing his art though, so I wonder if the Blood Blockade Battlefront manga will be the same. There's something about his art and layouts that left me with difficulty parsing the action a lot of the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nightow just isn't very good at panel composition. He's got great artistic sense design-wise but when it comes to laying out all the elements on the page it gets a bit too muddled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tsob posted:

Is he involved in this anime adaption though? I went to look up what he's done since Trigun ended, and was reminded about both his work in Gungrave and that he did Blood Blockade Battlefront, which I thought was fun for the one season I saw of it. I just found out there's a second season, and should check out the manga at some point; I bounced off the Trigun manga because I had problems processing his art though, so I wonder if the Blood Blockade Battlefront manga will be the same. There's something about his art and layouts that left me with difficulty parsing the action a lot of the time.

How involved was he in the 90’s anime for that matter?