Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I think AI will replace low hanging fruit tasks like writing boilerplate, unit tests, or individual functions. But if I want something unique, or bespoke, that's where it'll fail. It will also need a lot of oversight which is why copilot is very compelling because it's basically "autocomplete on steroids"

Fwiw I asked it to generate me a function that determines if an IP address is within a given subnet and it made an absolute mess of it but I don't doubt it'll improve over time.

The real people that need to be "look for a new career" worried are anyone that writes longform docs like contracts, HLDs, etc because AI generates written English far better than the average person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

GPT has automated away two manual processes at my work and it's really only the beginning, I think a lot of people are underestimating the amount of paper pushing that gets done even in relatively lean enterprises and GPT at least is almost impossibly good at doing stuff when you provide it context. Like you can feed it a knowledge base article and be like "summarize this" and it does it perfectly, better than probably 90% of the english speaking population, and then you realize well what if I gave it like...50 articles to summarize, at once? and it works perfectly. It's fuckin insane

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I mean having good written communication skills has carried me far further than my technical acumen and I can see the writing on the wall. Its just not going to be a thing that you need people to build like, a readable and nice slide deck, or a product brochure, or a high level design, etc etc

Instead you'll just need the technical people banging out the bullet points

To take it further you also don't really need as many sales people when you can have a thing that has access to all the information, can recall it instantly and carry a conversation with someone