Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I will play in a game I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
One of us. One of us.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hello. Let’s see what happens with this whole mafia thing again.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I also wouldn’t vote me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

PsychoSoldier posted:

I liked Tired and Cloaca. I think I like Bif, too.

Honestly, Anarc's vote doesn't really bother me, but I like salad's vote on Anarc for it.

Everyone else can get got

##vote PsychoSoldier

I don't see how you could possibly have any of these reads so quickly.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

##vote PsychoSoldier

I don't see how you could possibly have any of these reads so quickly.

s/any/all

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Bifauxnen posted:

Aw man that woulda been nice though. If he's not it's prolly merk and that'll be a pain in the rear end

I have three posts, and my read on psycho is based on one post. What is this fake read?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Last game I was in with merk they were gone all D1, got lunched, and flipped scum. I really hope (for the sake of the game) that he doesn't do the exact same thing here.

In that game I warned everyone I was traveling for work and then having surgery so I would be afk for day 1. It was very rude I got got.

This game, I was with my kiddos this weekend. I am here now.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I think my psycho vote is pretty good. Psycho’s reaction to the light pressure was post vomit which seems scummy too.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Bifauxnen posted:

Howdy neighbour, welcome back

##vote merk

My call out which you quote here is also good. You setup a “if not, then other” scum dichotomy based on basically nothing. There’s no way you can make dependent reads that early in the game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Green Wing posted:

Good morning. Going to do a big read and plant my vote somewhere serious, rather than hoping against hope for a first-vote bonus.

Two of my scum pings are the two I have said I'd be reluctant to vote for. Merk laid down a (justified and correct!) vote against Psycho, which I agreed with, but otherwise hasn't really put much in. I'm starting to side-eye that a bit.

My stronger ping is unfortunately on Yata. Yata's posting has been bad. Just, straight-up, bad. A town read on me (I don't think I've done anything to particularly justify this)..

That's a bit strong.

Followed by a vote on Toalpaz that simply copies the case before hand - almost word for word.

This at least admits that it's the same reasons as death cob, but it's still white noise because it's just a copy of the case.

Emphasis mine - this seems to tack on to the existing case against psycho without wanting to actually lay a vote down, giving a pretty poor justification as to why.

Well I only said I wouldn't push to turbo you, not vote you :colbert:

I still think psycho gets a stronger ping - I think the reasons there are pretty self-evident? I'd go back to there towards deadline if things swung that way, for sure. And while I'm reluctant to vote the newbie, I think I'm getting a hint of Newbie Scum here so I'm going to harden my heart and ##vote Yata

Other observations:
Bif seems uncharacterisatically aloof. I can't remember the last time I've seen scum!bif but I would have thought she'd have something to say about the posting of Psycho, or Yata.

I am honestly sort of happy with my vote on RWC? The only response to being voted was this:

As we get closer towards the end of the day I'm starting to side-eye the people using the mechanics as a means to avoid putting down reads (see for example illu. Such fun, doting on the spectators! But it's inteference, occludes not giving scum reads. Unless some scum reads are forthcoming I also wouldn't be heartbroken by an illu vote)

I’m mobile so sorry for the large quote. How can you agree with my content-based vote but then question it because I’m simply not around?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Toal’s “fake indignation” thing on me is the only fake thing they’ve done that I’ve seen. Toal knows that’s a real and justified call out.

Toal’s tone kind of feels town. Just gut really though.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
It’s four votes with hours left. Anyone could go here.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Cloacamazing! posted:

I'm not even voting you, Maer.

Well, okay, I am now ##vote Maerlyn, but that's because I've seen scum Maer make stuff up like that before, and she still pretends like my issue with her vote is the timing and not the target. Again: my point is that Maerlyn usually advocates against lunching merk D1.

This vote doesn’t make any sense. Maerlyn says she has a null read on me here.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote anonymousnarcotics

Again, mobile. Can’t quote.

Anon is riding a shortly after joke phase vote but talks very nully about both vote leaders right now. There’s no town inquisition into the game or attempt to find a viable alternate. There’s just safe posting.

Scum like to stay safe from d1 votes on town. I know I’m town and think Toal feels the same, so that’s what I see Anon doing all the while riding a vote he knows won’t ever go anywhere.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Psychos read my post correctly, thanks for explaining it for me, bud! Still leaving my vote there though ❤️

(ie my vote on psychos was not a joke vote. It was a "ugh its too early to have real votes but this actually is scummy imo")

Yeah, you can’t let a vote with this reasoning fester and then talk null about the two vote leaders later. That’s scum. No attempt to find scum here. Just wants to be safe.

Maybe survivor I guess. That’s in this game, no?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Bifauxnen posted:

But still happy voting merk seeing as he just abandoned his catchup halfway through apparently

I don’t ever do a full reread. If I ever say I’m doing that, I’m lying. My process (as town) is to look at the votes on me, react, look at a few other votes, react, pick a random page and scroll quickly, react, and then usually look at 1-2 posters individually with reactions. That’s also usually my process as scum, but I game what votes I look at and what players I read in isolation based on how I think I can manipulate the game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
And I abandoned my catch up because I had piano lessons. I’m 39 years old.

Anyway, I like my Anon case. It feels good still after letting it sit inside my head for an hour.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
In full disclosure, I haven’t read every Toal post. I won’t before deadline. My gut read is based off of skimming. For example, there’s one Toal post I remember when they did the same thing I just did catching up. Let me find it…

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Toalpaz posted:

Imo this is a thinly veiled vote with its basis in disagreeing with me over mechanic chat rather than any scum read.

I think my post was good actually, also. >:C

This. Making a quick case and then saying “my post was good” is a very me thing to do when I’m town. It made me think Toal felt town too.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hopefully Bif tries and fails to shoot me and I think she’s town for it this game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Toalpaz posted:

I'll vote psycho or an or whatever, but I won't vote Merk. I'm getting on the bus home so

##vote psycho

Just because it feels like bullying to vote AN

I’d vote psycho again.

In full disclosure, I’m going to a happy hour here soon and won’t be posting.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If you haven’t faked that English is your second language on your alt to avoid being eliminated for sounding awkward, then can you even say you’re dedicated to mafia?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

I don't understand how merk is simultaneously voting me (presumably bc he thinks I'm scum) and also would be willing to vote the person I think is scum.

Every case is independent.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote ANarc

This is still a good case. No content from ANarc that matters at all about finding scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

saladscooper posted:

I'm going back and forth on why it took so long to accumulate votes on anyone before the last hour of d1

I think it's a combination of this game's unique mechanics and people just, playing indecisively. The fact that there was almost a 3-way tie for so long in the second half of the day makes me think scum wasn't too invested in pushing towards or away from someone else. This is why I think merk is town.

Yes, scum didn’t need to do anything when it was a 4/4 tie between Toal and me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If I’m the scum team, we’re making sure we hammer. I expect any reasonable scum team to have the same strategy. GW getting the hammer is something I’m going to look at more.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Green Wing posted:

##vote Toal

These two votes happened at the same time. Could be scum buddies or could be GW F5ing the thread over and over with a hammer waiting. The fact that GW didn't mention it at all (besides a 'cool I got a thing') makes me think this was scum gaming the hammer to get the item. You would think a town there would've gone something like ":smugdog: was f5ing to get that item!" or something.

Green Wing posted:

I still think psycho gets a stronger ping - I think the reasons there are pretty self-evident? I'd go back to there towards deadline if things swung that way, for sure. And while I'm reluctant to vote the newbie, I think I'm getting a hint of Newbie Scum here so I'm going to harden my heart and ##vote Yata

GW's case on Yata looks performative, especially the actual vote.

Green Wing posted:

Is there a case on me somewhere in not seeing, as I've now seen a few people cast shade on me and the most I've seen is I didn't like a post by salad yesterday?

I can't vote today, which is a shame as I love voting. I got an item but have no results to report at this time.

I'm at my Wednesday night rpg rn so have just done a skim read while we eat takeaway - I'm starting to chill a bit on psycho, feeling better there tbh, I'm wondering if yata is trying to bus Maerlyn, and getting a bit more sus about death cob but don't know their meta.

On day 1, GW was lightly pushing psycho, made a case on Yata, and then voted Toal. On day 2, GW backs out of the psycho read, lightly expands the Yata read, makes a callout to death cob that has no weight at all. She also makes sure to be consistent in the progression of reads (mentions everyone she found scummy before in every new read post) that don't actually go anywhere or influence the thread at all. She's actively coasting.

I could see it being GW. That's a good vote. ##vote GW

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
GW also does zero analysis after the flip and her throwaway reads today do not mention the two flips we've had at all. This isn't a player who is actively hunting scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Green Wing posted:

Is there a case on me somewhere in not seeing, as I've now seen a few people cast shade on me and the most I've seen is I didn't like a post by salad yesterday?

I can't vote today, which is a shame as I love voting. I got an item but have no results to report at this time.

I'm at my Wednesday night rpg rn so have just done a skim read while we eat takeaway - I'm starting to chill a bit on psycho, feeling better there tbh, I'm wondering if yata is trying to bus Maerlyn, and getting a bit more sus about death cob but don't know their meta.

"I love voting" so here are three throwaway reads that I definitely do not care about at all.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

PsychoSoldier posted:

And honestly I don't think GW has any reason or motivation as scum to even make that case when they're still shading me and have all the room in the world to keep that wagon alive, especially if merk is town.

Scum do things to look town.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Make a case on someone.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
GW is scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
GW claimed what item she had after getting in-thread pressure. That's a classic scum move to get people to vote elsewhere. As town, you usually hold your cards longer because you know giving away that information helps scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
GW's case on me looks like she made it backwards. She started with the conclusion that I am scum and then went to the thread looking for support of that conclusion.

I haven't thought about the other two cases yet but will look.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Here is a quick example from the GW case on me. It is clear she didn't make any attempt to read what I was saying in any context.

merk posted:

Green Wing posted:

Contentless vote. And this:

She reacts saying that post of mine is contentless. Here it is in context from a post three above:

death cob for cutie posted:

I think psycho is still fairly new and finding their bearings, personally. They're not good-looking posts but I don't think they're scum, necessarily.

What do you think of Toalpaz? Deadline is in three hours (the middle of the American workday is harsh lmao), they're tied for vote leader, and we know you're not gonna vote yourself.

merk posted:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Here is another example.

GW says that these posts are contradictory to each other:

merk posted:

I’m mobile so sorry for the large quote. How can you agree with my content-based vote but then question it because I’m simply not around?

merk posted:

They aren't. Here is the very basic context:

I don't understand how merk is simultaneously voting me (presumably bc he thinks I'm scum) and also would be willing to vote the person I think is scum.

merk posted:

This post is saying that my read of ANarc is independent of my read of psycho.

Green Wing posted:

Merk laid down a (justified and correct!) vote against Psycho, which I agreed with, but otherwise hasn't really put much in. I'm starting to side-eye that a bit.

merk posted:

This post is me questioning how GW can like actual content I made but then step towards me being scum simply because I was not around to post. The little content I did have she liked. How does lurking usurp that read?

Those two points are not contradictory at all when you put even the smallest amount of work into trying to understand context. GW did not. GW started with the conclusion that I am scum.

That is scummind (Lumpen(tm)).

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Yeah, I'm done. This is my vote for the day. Take your Faulty Vig or Toxic Vig shot if you got it. I'll be here banging the drum until you're out of the game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
As an aside, GW's most persuasively positioned point is that I didn't say much about Toal. I essentially said: 1) the only scummy thing I saw was Toal saying my frustration (or whatever, I'm not looking it up) was fake because Toal knows it wasn't; 2) I had a gut read on Toal not being scum; and 3) I definitely didn't read all of Toal's posts. What the hell am I doing there as scum tied with the town Toal vote leader at -3?

To put it another way: Instead of spending time addressing town Toal really at all when we are tied at -3 with three hours before game day end, I admit I didn't read them closely and then go off searching for someone else I think is scum. What's my plan there if I'm scum? Why am I doing that? Do I assume it's a lock that I am not getting eliminated so why bother? Is that the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

My overall thoughts are that there was a pretty big push on psychos on D1 which was then derailed to be pushing merk so that makes me side eye a little. It seemed like a lot of people were willing to vote them yesterday but don't seem to care today

I do think the psycho vote is decent still. GW is scum though.