Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The probably best result for a conference network is essentially WWE network and they can even do it the same way (by buying the tech from MLBAM) I just don't know if they can afford to do that each individually yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Lol Tennessee got a commit from a kid named Peyton Lewis.

Next up Jamal Manning

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

harperdc posted:

*points at the PAC-12 Network*

It’s not even the streaming platform that costs money, it’s the broadcasting. And so long as it still has to try and get onto cable as well, that’s a place where ESPN, Fox, NBC all have more of a leg up. Easier to sell your $15/month platform if it’s Peacock and has more sports and shows, than if it’s PAC-12 football and other sports only.

Theoretically. But when it comes to most cable, Big 10 network is in the same poo poo tier in non-Big 10 territories that the Pac 12 is on in Big 10 territories. The real fact is because the number of people who live 3 states over that are watching these channels is generally small, even the ones that have nationally popular teams (partly because most of these teams good games don't show up on these channels).

The area where ESPN did win though is they didn't go to war with DirecTV like Pac 12 did, basically cutting off the public venue crowd.

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 30, 2023

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

fast cars loose anus posted:

The probably best result for a conference network is essentially WWE network and they can even do it the same way (by buying the tech from MLBAM) I just don't know if they can afford to do that each individually yeah

There's a reason why the WWE Network is part of Peacock now.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Edward Mass posted:

There's a reason why the WWE Network is part of Peacock now.

Is it the same one that caused them to pay a billion dollars for 1 playoff game?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Can we get Maroon vs slightly darker shade of maroon the game please?

AKA Maroon outing a team that also is maroon is certainly a choice.

https://twitter.com/MaroonOut/status/1661054888334311449

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MagusDraco posted:

Can we get Maroon vs slightly darker shade of maroon the game please?

AKA Maroon outing a team that also is maroon is certainly a choice.

https://twitter.com/MaroonOut/status/1661054888334311449

I always thought this when Nebraska did blackouts against Missouri or Iowa. Maroon is much funnier.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Dango Bango posted:

I always thought this when Nebraska did blackouts against Missouri or Iowa. Maroon is much funnier.

lol is black one of Nebraska's colors? I thought it was (Big) red and white

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Mike_V posted:

lol is black one of Nebraska's colors? I thought it was (Big) red and white

They've used black as a semi-official third color for a while: https://huskers.com/news/2018/1/26/211694410.aspx

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think we're still a long ways away from the possibility of ESPN pulling out of cable, satellite, and channel conglomerate streaming services like YouTube TV or Hulu. I don't think sports streaming is comparable to other services because sports streaming is still going to involve significant income from advertising. It's in ESPN's best interest to set a price that maximizes viewership, if they do decide to be subscription-only.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dango Bango posted:

Makes me think of when we wore black jerseys against UGA and also did a black out.

Like….I love the black alternates but don’t do a blackout when one of your colors isn’t black and it’s one of the other teams main colors

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Breaking news - a college football coach is a hypocrite about money

https://twitter.com/KyleTucker_ATH/status/1663569408147505152?t=CECw-Zp3WRKGVfZLhU9_MA&s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Breaking news - a college football coach is a hypocrite about money

He'll get rightfully dragged for that as he should, but Drinkwitz is kind of all in on NIL and has been working to promote opportunities. He's just saying some dumb poo poo that came to his mind here I think?

He isn't against it in any way, he's just going 'well this is kind of dumb but what can you do?' I mean the dude's a moron who can coach kinda good maybe now and then, we can't ask for good or responsible political takes here.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

I can’t hear the word maroon without thinking about Bugs Bunny.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

I was just thinking that every TAMU home game is a maroon-out :dadjoke:

Then I immediately checked myself into assisted living.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

I was thinking the "What a maroon. What an ignoramus" line and decided to check because, well, some things in Looney Tunes have NOT aged well.

Now I can't figure out if the joke of that line is Bugs confusing 'moron' and 'maroon' or if a term used to describe escaped slaved was used as a pejorative for dumb people.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Cthulu Carl posted:

I was thinking the "What a maroon. What an ignoramus" line and decided to check because, well, some things in Looney Tunes have NOT aged well.

Now I can't figure out if the joke of that line is Bugs confusing 'moron' and 'maroon' or if a term used to describe escaped slaved was used as a pejorative for dumb people.

It's the former, most likely - a deliberate mispronunciation.

While the Maroon communities have historical significance, the term had exited the public lexicon by the mid 1800's, having been replaced by other terms for the same peoples, losing significance with the British outlawing slavery within their empire, and finally with the US freeing all slaves.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Yeah, the Bugs thing was always a deliberate mispronunciation because he would follow it up by pronouncing imbecile "im-BASS-le," it doesn't really go deeper than that. Or at least, it shouldn't.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1663638006979280901?s=46

a maryland cupcake game gets that treatment

lol

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

Yeah, the Bugs thing was always a deliberate mispronunciation because he would follow it up by pronouncing imbecile "im-BASS-le," it doesn't really go deeper than that. Or at least, it shouldn't.

Is the Looney Tunes insult Nimrod supposed to be a similar mispronunciation/eggcorn or is this just taking it out on early biblical kings?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

NBC paid big bucks to air in primetime, loving ESPN Ocho games that no one would otherwise watch. Galaxy Brain Stuff

WVU vs PSU people might watch

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

The Notorious ZSB posted:

NBC paid big bucks to air in primetime, loving ESPN Ocho games that no one would otherwise watch. Galaxy Brain Stuff

WVU vs PSU people might watch

Eh, when you're doing business with a conference with a 9-game conference slate, the non-con inventory is going to be pretty sparse, especially if you only have second or third pick. That's just kind of built into the deal.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Maxwells Demon posted:

Is the Looney Tunes insult Nimrod supposed to be a similar mispronunciation/eggcorn or is this just taking it out on early biblical kings?

it's just the sarcastic use of the name of a biblically famous hunter to describe elmer fudd

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

General Dog posted:

Eh, when you're doing business with a conference with a 9-game conference slate, the non-con inventory is going to be pretty sparse, especially if you only have second or third pick. That's just kind of built into the deal.

Kinda my point, I don't see the benefit for NBC to air 3rd tier games, but I don't make millions spending billions so what do I know.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Kinda my point, I don't see the benefit for NBC to air 3rd tier games, but I don't make millions spending billions so what do I know.

I think those are probably the second tier games, there’s just not much to choose from. I am curious what the pecking order is going to be between FOX, NBC, and CBS for the Big Ten games here in a couple of years. Is it going to be Big Noon, CBS mid-afternoon, and NBC primetime as the top three games in some order?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Manoueverable posted:

Especially considering mispronounced words or exaggerated pronunciations were a part of the character on the whole. I remember ignoranimus and stragdidy as other words he used.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
To be fair its not like you have to search very hard to find actually racist cartoons involving Bugs Bunny but yes maroon is just a pronunciation joke for kids

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I only today learned that Bugs Bunny sarcastically calling Elmer Fudd nimrod is the entire reason we associate the name with stupid, but Robert E. Lee, of all people, is the first documented usage of it as an insult.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

I only today learned that Bugs Bunny sarcastically calling Elmer Fudd nimrod is the entire reason we associate the name with stupid, but Robert E. Lee, of all people, is the first documented usage of it as an insult.

Welp, if Robert E Lee ever uttered the phrase in his life it’s inherently racist now, obviously.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

General Dog posted:

Welp, if Robert E Lee ever uttered the phrase in his life it’s inherently racist now, obviously.

Well, since it's Robert E. Lee's word, the only solution is for the federal government to confiscate it

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Komet posted:

I think we're still a long ways away from the possibility of ESPN pulling out of cable, satellite, and channel conglomerate streaming services like YouTube TV or Hulu. I don't think sports streaming is comparable to other services because sports streaming is still going to involve significant income from advertising. It's in ESPN's best interest to set a price that maximizes viewership, if they do decide to be subscription-only.

For what it’s worth ESPN themselves “leaked” about a week or so ago that they’re looking into the economics of switching to a streaming app. No timetable for actually doing so.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

General Dog posted:

Now that's not fair, there's many words Lee uttered that aren't inherently racist. Surrender for example

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

dirty shrimp money posted:

For what it’s worth ESPN themselves “leaked” about a week or so ago that they’re looking into the economics of switching to a streaming app. No timetable for actually doing so.

True, but they’re still going to be in cable packages at the same time. Could also just be a ploy to get more money from cable companies. ESPN says pay us more, and we won’t go streaming.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

True, but they’re still going to be in cable packages at the same time. Could also just be a ploy to get more money from cable companies. ESPN says pay us more, and we won’t go streaming.

True, but I wonder how much more blood there is to be wrung from the cable stone considering everyone knows it’s dying.

I think it’s more than just a bluff or ploy for more money. I’d read Disney is looking to merge Disney+ with Hulu into one app, and I don’t see why ESPN wouldn’t just become a full part of that integrated streaming service.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Judgy Fucker posted:

True, but I wonder how much more blood there is to be wrung from the cable stone considering everyone knows it’s dying.

I think it’s more than just a bluff or ploy for more money. I’d read Disney is looking to merge Disney+ with Hulu into one app, and I don’t see why ESPN wouldn’t just become a full part of that integrated streaming service.

I think I saw they were considering it, but had also already committed to keeping simulcast and multi-network content on Hulu as well.

While I really love the star trek renaissance that's come from paramount + being its own streaming service, I for one am tired of the streaming wars and am ready for a bit of consolidation.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Going streaming only when you current framework for streaming is half assed and poor quality is sure a move. I would think that it could lead to higher picture quality or bitrate with easy to navigate alternate audio streams but we know that they will do the most half assed job possible. I want good 4K sports and surround sound, even if the back channel is crowd noise.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Who do we think votes for and against expansion to a 9-game SEC schedule? Seems like teams with more than one natural rival (that they're likely to keep in a 3-6 format) are the strong yes's, and the teams without multiple big rivalries that are also facing an uphill battle to get to 6 wins on a yearly basis are the strongest no's. Texas and OU won't have a vote this summer. Apparently the change can be made with a simple majority.

Yes:
Alabama (they lose First Friday otherwise)
Tennessee (they lose First Friday otherwise)
Auburn (probably wants to keep the Georgia game?)
Missouri (gets to reunite with multiple Big 8/Big 12 buddies and increase exposure in Texas)
Arkansas (wants to play Texas)
Texas A&M (wants to play Texas, in their heart of hearts)

No:
Ole Miss (Egg Bowl is only rivalry anyone cares about, other two "rivals" will be totally arbitrary, makes it harder to bowl)
Mississippi State (see above)
South Carolina (9 SEC games and Clemson every year seems pretty daunting)
Vanderbilt (Is Vanderbilt, life is hard enough already)

??
Georgia (how much do they care about the Auburn game?)
Florida (I don't really know what Florida wants, but their annual non-con rivalry is worth factoring in. Doesn't seem like the Georgia game would be in any danger regardless of what happens)
Kentucky (see above)
LSU (kind of rivals with no one and everyone; hard to see them being either strongly for or against)

Edit: a bit more research seems to indicate that UF and Georgia are likely “yes” votes and that Kentucky and the Mississippi schools are the only hard no’s, so it’s probably just a matter of whether the money can get sorted out with ESPN in time for the 2024 season.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 31, 2023

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Yes:
First Friday

Do you mean Third Saturday?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

Do you mean Third Saturday?

Yeah whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky is a definite no. Stoops has made that clear from the beginning. I think that 10 game all SEC slate in 2020 made that decision, but he's also indicated he'd want to drop the Louisville game if it goes to 9.

I don't like that as a fan. I like the 3-6-6 model better (at least with certain alignments) for the conference as a whole, but I don't like the look of Kentucky running away from Louisville, even if they do improve under Brohm.