Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
-The Motion Picture
-The Voyage Home
-Wrath of Kahn
-Generations
-The Undiscovered Country
-Insurrection
-First Contact
-The Final Frontier
-The Search for Spock
-Nemesis

I invite debate and the opinions of others, there are no wrong opinions, except if you think any of the other films are better than TMP. The rest ain't even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Whale Movie
First Contact
Wrath of Kahn
Nemesis because of Tom Hardy
all the rest

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

-first contact
-wrath of Kahn
-voyage home
-Star Trek 2009
-beyond
-generations
-undiscovered country
-insurrection
-final frontier

Haven’t seen:
-the motion picture
-search for Spock

garbage:
-nemesis
-into darkness

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
  1. THE VOYAGE HOME: Star Trek IV
  2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
  3. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
  4. Star Trek: First Contact
  5. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
  6. Star Trek Generations
  7. Star Trek Nemesis
  8. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
  9. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
  10. Star Trek Insurrection

I don't really feel like the reboot movies are part of the same series, more like movies being done "in tribute" to Star Trek, but ranking those:

1. Star Trek
  2. Star Trek Beyond
  3. Star Trek Into Darkness

I'd consider moving Star Trek Beyond up a rank if they'd called it "Star Trek Beyond Imagination" like they should have. :colbert:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

FunkyAl posted:

there are no wrong opinions, except if you think any of the other films are better than TMP. The rest ain't even close.

You're supposed to say, "There Is No Comparison!"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I liked The Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan but they're the only TOS movies I've seen. I saw Nemesis and First Contact but they were kind of a blur and I watched them before I'd ever seen any episode of any Star Trek show... so I was super baffled. nu-Trek is alright.

1. The Motion Picture
  2. Wrath of Khan
  3. Star Trek 2009
  4. First Contact
  5. Beyond
  6. Nemesis
  7. Into Darkness

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
My top five are kind of in flux depending on my mood

Wrath of Khan
The Voyage Home
The Undiscovered Country
The Motion Picture
The Final Frontier
The Carbonite Maneuver
The Search For Spock
First Contact
Beyond
Generations
Insurrection
Into Darkness
Nemesis

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

1) Wrath of Khan
2a and b) Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country
3) First Contact
4) Beyond
5) Trek '09
6) Motion Picture
7) Search for Spock
8) Generations
9) Insurrection
10) Nemesis
11) Into Darkness
12) Final Frontier

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm actually gonna go to bat for Into Darkness here, there's a weird amount of 2001 imagery which I think is adds up to a kind of reverse message of said film, high technology being something that has to be transcended in favor of raw human emotion. I'm only half convinced of this, but I can say at least I like it more than Star Trek 2009.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

1. The one where Chekov says "Nu-cle-ar wessels!"
  2. The one where Chekov's like "They put... creatures... in our bodies... to control our minds...!"
  3. The one where Chekov says "Admeeral? Thees ees not poss-ee-ble!"
  4. The one where Troi's all, "I had three shots of something called 'tequila' just to find out he was the one we're looking for!"
  5. The one where Chekov goes "Why not simply waporize them?"
  6. The one where Chekov sighs, "I was never dat young."
  7. The one where Troi's like, "Hes' resistinnng me..."
  8. The one where Chekov declares, "You are in wiolation of Neutral Zone Treaty."
  9. The one where Chekov is all like "Tooorrrpeeeeedoooeesssss aawwWAAYY!!"
  10. The one where Troi goes, "Have you noticed your boobs have started firming up?"

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Voyage home
Wrath of khan
TMP

Undiscovered country
Insurrection
Final Frontier
Nemesis
Search for Spock
First contact

Generations
Nemesis
Into darkness

The middle ones might shift around some. I loving hate the bottom three and would be happy to never see any of them again.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy
The "Aged like fine Klingon Bloodwine" tier
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan [I wrote multiple papers in film school about this film]
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country [there are days I bump this up past Wrath of Khan]
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home [Funny, good conclusion to the Genesis Trilogy, and double dumb rear end on you if you don't like it]

The "I blew up the love of my life, the USS Enterprise, just to kill like 6 Klingons." tier
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock [very underrated, the scene when they hack a garage door in space and make a dramatic 3 point turn to steal a warship, don't call Sulu tiny, and the scene when Kirk hears Saavik's voice and you can tell he was really hoping not to :(]
Star Trek: First Contact [fun as hell but some plot holes]
Star Trek Beyond [most trekky of the Chris Pine movies, characters felt most right]
Star Trek Generations [writers admitted their reach exceeded their grasp but still good times, best Kirk acting per minute]

The "Two goodish movies with very opposite problems" tier
Star Trek: The Motion Picture [4k Director's Cut looks amazing, too bad you can tell they wrote the 3rd act as they shot it, and even the Director's Cut could of cut like 20% of the remaining V'Ger approach/flyby]
Star Trek 2009 [Kirk would never be sexually harassing random female cadets on the quad he's not from Mad Men. Also Kurtzman/Orci sure loved plot holes]

The "Honorable Mention" tier
Master and Commander
Galaxy Quest

The "...They meant well" tier
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier [This movie has heart, Shatner does better things with the camera than Nimoy. Too bad about that writer's strike]
Star Trek Insurrection [So us what the TNG crew was up to during the Dominion War??? You can tell that at one point it was going to be Star Trek IV inpsired and then it was going to be Heart of Darkness so it is neither]

The "Good job not being Nemesis" tier
Star Trek Into Darkness [two villain's didn't work here, 9/11 conspiracy agenda, and I guess I can headcanon a reason why Carol Marcus has a British accent in this timeline but since the actress did a good US accent in Iron Fist WTF should I have to movie?]

The "Literal War Crime" tier
Star Trek Nemesis [I hope the director dies of the slowest most painful cancer, it was such a disappointment Tom Hardy spiraled and smoked crack]

KurdtLives fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 18, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wrath of Khan (easily the GOAT)
Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country (2-way tie)
Search For Spock/Final Frontier/Motion Picture (3-way tie)
First Contact
Beyond
'09
Nemesis, Insurrection
Generations
(500 lines omitted)
Into Darkness

I grew up with the TOS movies pretty much as 'Star Trek' for me, so to me all six of them are classics. Yes, even the 'bad' ones. I dearly love 'em all.

Didn't discover TNG or its movies until much later. The best of the lot is First Contact, but I'd rank it below even the mid TOS movies. I'm one of the only Star Trek fans in the universe that doesn't have a particularly strong opinion one way or another about Insurrection or Nemesis. They exist; I don't give a gently caress about them. But Generations I actively dislike and I'd actually rate it as the worst of the lot.

The JJTrek movies mostly bounced off me; I appreciate that they brought Star Trek to a younger generation of fans but I didn't especially care for them. Beyond is easily the best. 2009 is OK but a bit too....2009 and ADHD for me. Star Trek can be action-packed (see Wrath of Khan) without being so...hyper.

Into Darkness is garbage. I said I disliked Generations but i really despise Into Darkness. I don't think I've ever seen a more blatant and soulless ripoff - of a far superior movie - than I did with ID.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 10, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FunkyAl posted:

I'm actually gonna go to bat for Into Darkness here, there's a weird amount of 2001 imagery which I think is adds up to a kind of reverse message of said film, high technology being something that has to be transcended in favor of raw human emotion. I'm only half convinced of this, but I can say at least I like it more than Star Trek 2009.

Wait when you say 2001 do you mean September 11 2001

Because yeah, sure, there's a weird amount of 2001 imagery, then

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Into Darkness is garbage. I said I disliked Generations but i really despise Into Darkness. I don't think I've ever seen a more blatant and soulless ripoff - of a far superior movie - than I did with ID.

People who say this really didn't pay attention to Into Darkness. Nemesis far more blatantly rips off The Wrath of Khan, whereas Into Darkness uses Khan and inverts one sequence.

I'm not saying Into Darkness is good, but it's not the remake of Wrath of Khan that people like to say it is.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

They shuffle a few things around to cover tracks but it's so much ticking off 'Wrath of Khan' boxes that someone in the cast very uncharacteristically yells "Khaaaaan!" at one point. To me, ID is far more blatant than Nemesis.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I grew up with the TOS movies pretty much as 'Star Trek' for me, so to me all six of them are classics. Yes, even the 'bad' ones. I dearly love 'em all.

Same. I'd put 2 and 6 as tied for first, and the rest tied for second. They all have things I love about them.

First Contact is the only one of the TNG movies I'd ever rewatch.

I actively hate all of the reboot movies. Blowing up Romulus and Vulcan is just so loving stupid. Like, really, a surprise supernova? gently caress offffffffff.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hot take: the TOS crew is better suited for movies. Some of it may have to do with the differences in the movie industry in the '80s and the '90s, but the TNG crew is a bit too boring to carry a movie by themselves (not a criticism of the actors but the way the characters are written). First Contact was the only TNG movie to acknowledge this and work around it by giving the TNG crew something to liven them up a bit.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Hot take: the TOS crew is better suited for movies. Some of it may have to do with the differences in the movie industry in the '80s and the '90s, but the TNG crew is a bit too boring to carry a movie by themselves (not a criticism of the actors but the way the characters are written). First Contact was the only TNG movie to acknowledge this and work around it by giving the TNG crew something to liven them up a bit.
I don't know that I agree about TNG's crew being inherently less suited for movies. I think being off air for a decade did help the TOS movies in terms of having more cinematic films.
Generations was written by Braga and Moore as they were simultaneously writing the superior finale, and that wasn't helpful. It didn't help that the studio and/or Berman had a huge list of demands: Have Klingons, have Kirk meet Picard, destroy the Enterprise D, among others. Braga and Moore also decided to invent the Nexus so as to avoid a basic bitch time travel plot for Kirk. Moore has been very upfront that their reach exceeded their grasp. I like that movie but it has flaws.
First Contact is fun and good if a little plot-holey.
Insurrection went through a couple different iterations. At first Piller wanted to 'do one for Gene' and make more like Star Trek IV, but the studio wanted action since First Contact was action and succesfull. So then Piller did a Heart of Darkness type story but there was more interference and I guess what we got was them splitting the baby. Maybe someone who read the pirated lost memoir of Michael Piller can give a better recall [he shelved it right before he died but it leaked].
gently caress Nemesis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

They shuffle a few things around to cover tracks but it's so much ticking off 'Wrath of Khan' boxes that someone in the cast very uncharacteristically yells "Khaaaaan!" at one point. To me, ID is far more blatant than Nemesis.

The ship's science officer, who is also the captain's best friend, sacrifices himself to save the Enterprise from a ticking-time-bomb doomsday device.

You don't get much more blatant than that.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Even hotter take: the JJ-verse ones are the best movie iterations of Trek because we don't have any preconceived tv experience of the actors in their roles.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Torquemada posted:

Even hotter take: the JJ-verse ones are the best movie iterations of Trek because we don't have any preconceived tv experience of the actors in their roles.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Timby posted:

The ship's science officer, who is also the captain's best friend, sacrifices himself to save the Enterprise from a ticking-time-bomb doomsday device.

You don't get much more blatant than that.

I dunno, killing off a character and then bringing them back in five minutes with a magic macguffin seems pretty blatant to me. At least at the end of WoK, Spock's death had impact and felt real because there wasn't any indication he was ever coming back. With ID they didn't even bother to wait for the next movie.

Actually, the deaths in both these movies were cheap as hell, tbh.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Timby posted:

People who say this really didn't pay attention to Into Darkness. Nemesis far more blatantly rips off The Wrath of Khan, whereas Into Darkness uses Khan and inverts one sequence.

I'm not saying Into Darkness is good, but it's not the remake of Wrath of Khan that people like to say it is.

yeah, into darkness was ripping off wing commander 4

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

I dunno, killing off a character and then bringing them back in five minutes with a magic macguffin seems pretty blatant to me. At least at the end of WoK, Spock's death had impact and felt real because there wasn't any indication he was ever coming back. With ID they didn't even bother to wait for the next movie.

Nemesis also pretty much brought Data back in the same movie, since they introduced B-4 who was obviously designed to take over the role of Data in future TNG movies had Nemesis not bombed badly enough to kill the series.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Item Getter posted:

Nemesis also pretty much brought Data back in the same movie, since they introduced B-4 who was obviously designed to take over the role of Data in future TNG movies had Nemesis not bombed badly enough to kill the series.
Yeah it obvious even in the last scene that B-4 was still buffering but going to level up to Data [Up To The Middle Of That Movie].

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

there were two hints - Spock's "remember" mind meld with McCoy and the final shot before the credits of Spock's coffin safely on the Genesis planet.

those were added to set up a possible resurrection in the next movie. after Nimoy had such a great time working on WoK and the general feeling amongst everyone involved that they'd a hit on their hands (unlike TMP or ToS s3) Nimoy began to have second thoughts about leaving the role behind. So he worked with Bennet to come up with some ambiguities to include to keep the door open. It wasn't certain yet that he'd come back.

IIRC Meyer still thought it was a poo poo idea and cheapened the death.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cerv posted:

there were two hints - Spock's "remember" mind meld with McCoy and the final shot before the credits of Spock's coffin safely on the Genesis planet.

those were added to set up a possible resurrection in the next movie. after Nimoy had such a great time working on WoK and the general feeling amongst everyone involved that they'd a hit on their hands (unlike TMP or ToS s3) Nimoy began to have second thoughts about leaving the role behind. So he worked with Bennet to come up with some ambiguities to include to keep the door open. It wasn't certain yet that he'd come back.

Well yeah, that's true. There were hints but Spock's death had a finality to it where fans had to sit and wait two years for it to be resolved.

Into Darkness settled the question in something like five minutes of screen time. But you're right; I hadn't thought about the 'Remember' scene.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cerv posted:

Yeah, the shot of Spock's torpedo was filmed in Golden Gate Park by ILM, without Meyer's consent, and "Remember" was a quick insert. His intent with the movie was that Spock was dead dead.

Meyer was furious and so sore over it, and over The Search for Spock basically undoing the ending of his movie, that he initially refused the offer to co-write The Voyage Home until his agent talked some sense into him.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Having rewatched a lot of the original six recently with my partner:

The Voyage Home
By far the best-written Star Trek movie, if we had gotten a few other movies this smart and likeable Star Trek would still be a juggernaut instead of Star Wars-lite.

Wrath of Khan
Sets the tone for the franchise and manages to be compelling and incredibly cheesy at the same time.

The Undiscovered Country
A Star Trek that's about something relevant?!? While also being fun to watch?!?

Beyond
Probably the best Star Trek movie since Undiscovered Country, though it's not mind-blowing, just good fun.

First Contact
Not everything about this is great but it's a good horror movie, which is a nice change-up.

The Final Frontier
Honestly if you are open to this movie's vibe of being incredibly silly it's OK. We know that a lot of the El Capitan stuff is more unintentionally funny than anything, but it's a weird slapstick movie.

Generations
Starts the trend of Data regressing to an incredibly annoying version of himself and hogging all the screentime.

The Motion Picture
Really saved only by the 4k transfer of the ship sequences. The rest of the movie is a historical curiosity.

Star Trek '09
Despite a plot that's only half there, it's an OK adventure movie.

Search for Spock
I wish this was better than it was, it's just a weird low-budget slog for the entire runtime.

Into Darkness
Just a terrible overwritten 9/11 truther mess.

Nemesis
It's bad but at least it's a merciful ending. The Picard series lurching on has deprived us even of this.

Insurrection
Bottom of the barrel, it's incredible that this wasn't the last TNG movie because it's like a terrible episode of the show.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Well yeah, that's true. There were hints but Spock's death had a finality to it where fans had to sit and wait two years for it to be resolved.

Into Darkness settled the question in something like five minutes of screen time. But you're right; I hadn't thought about the 'Remember' scene.

Into Darkness was so bad I honestly don’t remember it at all.

I only ever saw TWoK and TSFS on TV reruns. I guess I forget what it must have been like for the fans not to know for sure for a couple of years. With the chance that Nimoy might have decided not to come back (if they wouldn’t let him direct).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Name Change posted:

Having rewatched a lot of the original six recently with my partner:

The Voyage Home
By far the best-written Star Trek movie, if we had gotten a few other movies this smart and likeable Star Trek would still be a juggernaut instead of Star Wars-lite.

And yet they never say "oh this movie's gonna be the new Voyage Home"

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

I’ve not posted a ranking so:

The Wrath of Khan
This is the only one I would call a great movie on its own right, rather than a great Star Trek movie.
Despite nominally being a sequel to a random episode from the series, you really could show this to someone blind who’s never seem Trek at all and they’d get it. All the pieces are introduced and the world building is there.
Meyer got possibly Shatner’s strongest performance out if him.
The turnaround in costumes, sets, etc compared to TMP is amazing. The starfleet uniforms introduced for TWOK have never been beaten with any of the later revisions.
I love it.

The Undiscovered Country
What name change said.
I like my scifi to be great unsubtle metaphors that tell us something about today.

The Voyage Home
Just edged out by 6 for me. Because 6 is at least set in the 23rd century.
While 4 is by far the best example of “we’ve time travelled from our proper setting to the year this was filmed” across any movie/tv series, I still find that conceit a bit wank.
Too many jokes for my taste.
But cannot disagree that it does what it does excellently. Even if that’s not something I’d have chosen for them to do.

First Contact
Gets a bit too action orientated.
Retreads the same Moby Dick stuff that TWOK did better.

The Search for Spock
Has a few good moments. And Lloyd is a great villain against Shatner.

Generations
They rushed this out. All Good Things was a better movie and that’s not even a movie.

The Motion Picture
Some of it looks pretty at least.

The Final Frontier
Can’t say anything about this but meh

Nemesis ans Insurrection
I’d have to check the wiki to be certain which title was which movie. Don’t care enough to bother; they were both unmitigated shite.

I don’t care about the JJ Abrams movies.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

And yet they never say "oh this movie's gonna be the new Voyage Home"

Well it's a well-rounded, funny, and satisfying movie that actually uses the entire cast (the only TOS movie to do so). It's almost a miracle that we got even one movie that overcomes William Shatner being the biggest film/TV prima donna of the twentieth century.

Timby posted:

Yeah, the shot of Spock's torpedo was filmed in Golden Gate Park by ILM, without Meyer's consent, and "Remember" was a quick insert. His intent with the movie was that Spock was dead dead.

Meyer was furious and so sore over it, and over The Search for Spock basically undoing the ending of his movie, that he initially refused the offer to co-write The Voyage Home until his agent talked some sense into him.

Realistically, TOS does not work at all without Spock, and killing off that many paychecks was never going to happen. It was handled fairly well all things considered, but Roddenberry being jilted over losing creative control meant he would spoil everything he could to the fanmags anyway.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Cerv posted:

The starfleet uniforms introduced for TWOK have never been beaten with any of the later revisions.
Truth

Cerv posted:

The Voyage Home
Too many jokes for my taste.
...well, double dumb-rear end on you!

Name Change posted:

...It was handled fairly well all things considered, but Roddenberry being jilted over losing creative control meant he would spoil everything he could to the fanmags anyway.
Yeah he had his people leak Spock's death in TWOK. They ingeniously turned the original leaked death scene [which would of been early on a la Psycho] into the opening simulator fake death scene. By the time he's about to really die most of the audience were no longer thinking of it in the theater.
But the other big spoiler was just from the people who cut the Search For Spock trailer. Despite Harve Bennett's EXPLICIT instructions, the trailer is literally like "...ON THIS, THE FINAL VOYAGE OF THE USS ENTERPRISE..." as you see the Enterprise clearly blowing up.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

quote:

7) Search for Spock

"Transmission complete!"
"Then you have SEEN it?!"
"Yes."
"Unfortunate..."

"...Thrusters."

"...Ka'plcha ma' Wi" ---- "Success my lord!

*All in actual Klingon*

*then things happen*

"If my Grandmother had wheels she'd be a Wagon!"
-Mr. Scott

Not going out of this one either....

BigBeefCity fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 20, 2023

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
There is something very unfortunate during the 'Search for Spock'

At one point they put the StarDates across the whole screen and running them through "Stardate Calculator" it turns out a date of:

Earth Date (12hr) July 20, 1930 10:11 AM

Now, friends, have you ever gone off to gather *shabbed through the neck with an arrow suddenly

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KurdtLives posted:

But the other big spoiler was just from the people who cut the Search For Spock trailer. Despite Harve Bennett's EXPLICIT instructions, the trailer is literally like "...ON THIS, THE FINAL VOYAGE OF THE USS ENTERPRISE..." as you see the Enterprise clearly blowing up.

Other way around. Roddenberry leaked the Enterprise's destruction to the fanzines, and Bennett decided, "gently caress it, the cat's out of the bag, let's put our big money shot in the trailer."

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
e: *mmMmmghhmmh*

BigBeefCity fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Search For Spock is a much better movie than a lot of fans give it credit for (the 'worst' of the TOS movies are better than the baseline TNG and JJ movies, in my opinion). But you really can't beat a movie where Kirk steals the Enterprise and then blows that bitch up to save himself from Klingons.