Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I actually prefer the body text formatting but yeah, the wasted space on the right is dumb although it’s still better than every other website that just fills it with ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Increasing margins so it looks like there’s more text’s not gonna fool anybody jimmy. That poo poo didn’t even work for me in high school.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Did they finally make it so the desktop and mobile site don't have different URLs? Sure was great clicking on a link and getting the mobile version which was much worse to use on a PC. Amazing how every other website has managed to auto-detect which version to show except Wikipedia.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
This is because I didn't donate, isn't it?

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I actually prefer the body text formatting but yeah, the wasted space on the right is dumb although it’s still better than every other website that just fills it with ads.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

You Are A Elf posted:

Optimized for 4:3 CRT screens from 1997. What dipshit thought this was a good idea?

modern front end web designers are all real loving stupid. (This allegedly took 3 years to build according to mediawiki, so next time you think you suck at your job, start to grade it on the web developer curve and feel a lot better about yourself!)

or they have some real good poo poo and should share with the rest of us.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 19, 2023

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
People living in competition

But maybe Hitler also is a bonified zeppelin warship

Thank you wiki when you were free

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Looks like pretty minor changes to me. Everything still looks fine enough to me.

Still, like if everyone wants to grab some flaming torches and pitch folks be happy to join in the march to Wikipedia HQ and have a good old fashion server burning.

Been far to long since we've had a good server burning. Always good to remind the internet who's boss.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Yeah it looks kinda rear end. But now I'm going to proceed with never thinking about it again in my entire life

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It's an implicit threat. "Hmm, look at this space over here... Looks about ad-sized, wouldn't you say? Heheh." (tapping donation jar)

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Quotey posted:

some articles that i've visited before seem the same even through ctrl f5, but the front page and newer articles are changed for me. 1920x1080 old vs new

I like that the text doesn't sprawl all the way across the widescreen and I think having the table of contents on the side is useful.

They should probably keep the darker shade on the left side, though. It is a LOT of blinding whiteness. I'd also like to see a website try throwing the overflow text into columns to make use of the screen when it's on full.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Chief McHeath posted:

Those are my nighttime butterflies jerk

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's fine. Okay even.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah.

If you're an idiot!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah.

If you're an idiot!

Hey! Me being an idiot is entirely unrelated to not being bothered about this change. :colbert:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

GetDunked posted:

It's an implicit threat. "Hmm, look at this space over here... Looks about ad-sized, wouldn't you say? Heheh." (tapping donation jar)

It's just wild that Internet ads are even effective. I've clicked on maybe five ads in however long internet ads have been a thing.

The answer is the boomers and boomer brained, but still.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah it looks like poo poo

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I don't like things that are different

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Roman Reigns posted:

I don't like things that are different

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

wasn't there some short lived period when every website designed themselves to be suitable for tablet users and it looked hideous on everything else. lots of weird slide show rear end poo poo.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Looks great on mobile OPs

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Treecko posted:

People living in competition

But maybe Hitler also is a bonified zeppelin warship

Thank you wiki when you were free

I don't like this new Boston cover band.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

modern front end web designers are all real loving stupid. (This allegedly took 3 years to build according to mediawiki, so next time you think you suck at your job, start to grade it on the web developer curve and feel a lot better about yourself!)

or they have some real good poo poo and should share with the rest of us.

Mobile first design and an increased concern around accessibility/readability leads to these re-designs

Honestly stretching text across a 2600 pixel wide width makes it loving annoying to read, setting a max width for paragraphs is a good idea

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

Looks great on mobile OPs

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Konar posted:

Honestly stretching text across a 2600 pixel wide width makes it loving annoying to read, setting a max width for paragraphs is a good idea

Been saying this

Accubitus
Nov 7, 2020

Konar posted:

Anybody who knows literally anything about design knows that optimal line length is around 15 words -- anything longer and it gets hard and frustrating to read (easy to lose your place, requires more concentration, etc). This is why print design has used columns for over a century. Look at any magazine layout, do they have the lines spanning the whole page? Stretching every line across the entire width of the available screen space is absolutely terrible design and I'm glad Wikipedia has FINALLY changed this

And they even kept a little button you can press to change it back if you're a dumbass

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Chief McHeath posted:

Those are my nighttime butterflies jerk

I know that night butterflies don't have much to do with wikipedia but I'd like to take this opportunity to mention that I love how in Estonian the word for "moth" is literally just "night-butterfly"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Solefald posted:

wasn't there some short lived period when every website designed themselves to be suitable for tablet users and it looked hideous on everything else. lots of weird slide show rear end poo poo.

Slideshows are 100% about showing more ads to people

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

so glad i spent tons of money on widescreen stuff for websites like wikipedia to start displaying poo poo in 4:3 in tyool 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

netflix reintroduces letterbox for all feature films

"old people like it!" says ui/ux researcher

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

GolfHole posted:

netflix reintroduces letterbox for all feature films

"old people like it!" says ui/ux researcher

Have you watched streaming services lately? Everything is already in 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 to be displayed on 16:9 TVs. Not just feature films but normal shows.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GolfHole posted:

so glad i spent tons of money on widescreen stuff for websites like wikipedia to start displaying poo poo in 4:3 in tyool 2023

spending tons of money to browse websites lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Konar posted:

spending tons of money to browse websites lol

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh great i just got a beefy video card and UHD 144 hz display for browsing websites and now wikipedia does THIS? loving fail. sick of the loving bullshit

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

really? in tyool 2023 of all times? i almost donated to wikipedia on their last drive, thought about skimming a luittle off the top of the video card purchase and cheaping out on a 3xxx series instead but i'm glad i didn't. you just lost a loving customer wikipedia. and made an enemy today

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

oh great i just got a beefy video card and UHD 144 hz display for browsing websites and now wikipedia does THIS? loving fail. sick of the loving bullshit

this guyy gets it

really? in tyool 2023 of all times? i almost donated to wikipedia on their last drive, thought about skimming a luittle off the top of the video card purchase and cheaping out on a 3xxx series instead but i'm glad i didn't. you just lost a loving customer wikipedia. and made an enemy today

2023 is the new 911

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
just don't buy off wikipedia anymore. no one forces you to order from them,

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

really? in tyool 2023 of all times?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
4080 melting down, smoke filling my hovel whilst attempting to render Wikipedia article on flatulence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Konar posted:

this

also im glad that i regularly visit a website whose coder also thinks stretching out content across the entire browser window is a good idea. wait hold on, im not

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 19, 2023