Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter 1
Episode: 22
Going Up

Things seem to be heading up.

I love doing little animations like this, and I'm really surprised at how fast I'm getting these out. Really hoping the elevator bit lands, but we'll see. Only time will tell, got some nice compliments, and I got a new commissioned avatar that I absolutely adore.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter 1
Episode: 23
Oozing Charisma

Discord and Confusion

-=Author's Notes=-

This has largely been a great page to draw, I've always enjoyed drawing oozey slimey things, and playing with the word bubbles has been a great way to get some more character. Doing a read along with Clown Corps really shows how dynamic art can be, and I'm truly impressed and jealous of their talents. I've been largely focussing more on when I can fit in an animation, and the best place to break a page for tension. This one was a little weird in that regard, because it's part of a larger set that I realized would work better if we just cut it about 10 panels earlier and worked on the next few over the next half a week. I might even end up building a backlog (Beta readers, please don't tell people that I don't ever keep a backlog(It's true though, every page is done within 24 hours of it coming out.))

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter 1
Episode: 24
Vorpal AF

-=Author's Notes=-
I think I might be getting really REALLY good at this.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
That panel of the skeleton guy looking completely baffled belongs in the Louvre.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

kvx687 posted:

That panel of the skeleton guy looking completely baffled belongs in the Louvre.

I have been refreshing the thread since I posted today, and this had made the past week of effort worth it :kimchi:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter 1
Episode: 25
Hearts

Maries Heart is in the wrong place

-=Author Notes=-
Spent some time pushing pixels around while I had Covid, I really wanted to get this page out, and I'm pretty proud of it, though I've been proud of all my pages lately, but that's just how art is, you love it until your eye gets better than your hand, than you hate it, until your hand gets better than your eye. I hope you all enjoy it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter 1
Episode: 26
The Red Claires

The Board Is Slowly Reset
-=Author Notes=-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8RkcUiCxuE

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 28, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
This is a 24hour comic I wanted to make, but never got the stones to do it. It also isn't great, and fairly all over the place, but I'm posting.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter 1
Episode: 27
Merge

Feel the groove, bust a move yeah

-=Author's Notes=-

Next page is an animatic, so it may take longer than a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FCvzsVlXpQ

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is this how you cut a trailer?

https://bobapearlcomics.com/assets/Teaser.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Looks great!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Thanks, it actually is taking way more then I thought to do but I'm excited. I had to re-learn my animation work flow so that I could incoporate a non linear editor, because CSPs tools are woefully lacking. Now I can do even crazier stuff when animating, and that's exciting for the comic. I also hope this animatic ends up working really well, but even if it flops I'll be happy because I learned a lot.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I was getting extremely bad vibes about the discord server, so I nuked it, RIP server. If you want to stay in touch I'm in the CYOA discord server, and a few other places, plus my PMs are always open.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Getting insular and dramatic like they usually do? Shoulda just rode it out or went along with it for the story imo

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I just realized setting boundaries was too much effort. And felt like I wasn't willing to say what chat I was comfortable with and what I wasn't when it was less than 10 people. If it got bigger, would I really be willing to deal with it? And the answer was no.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Totally understandable!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm glad, because I feel stupid and fragile lol.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
you could always appoint mods, giving power and social status to those who volunteer for it never goes wrong.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
oh that's the discord server that vanished, absolutely fair.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The good news is, I took a break from animating to fix up the gifs, so now a 50 megabyte gif, is now 4.

voila the magic of fuzzy compression with image magick. I'm going through and shrinking everything now, and then going to get back to animating.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's gonna take another week for this animatic to be finished but I like it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So really quick an animatic is an animated storyboard, but even sketchier, so like, keep in mind that this is not intended to be a full animation, but is laid out as if it could be one if I ever get a bazillion dollars.

https://bobapearlcomics.com/assets/029Prologue_End.mp4

Director, Writer, Producer, Artist, and Real Cutie:
Boba Pearl

“Kawaii Till I Die” by Starjunk 95 - licensed via Music Vine: V1HHGZ2ACCBZVQ1U
Music Vine link to license this, or any other song in their catalogue: https://musicvine.com/track/starjunk-95/kawaii-till-i-die

Starjunk 95's website can be found on bandcamp here: https://www.starjunk95.com/

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

What a phenomenal way to end the chapter, I watched like five times in a row because I enjoyed it so much and to make sure I didn't miss anything. The color-coding really helped make it clear what was going on in the chaos of the situation. I also liked how the animatic conveyed so much with barely any words. And of course I'm honored to be mentioned in the special thanks, on the same page as the cat no less.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Thank you so much, I'm being extremely sincere, it means a lot to me that you and a few others really enjoyed it. :kimchi:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter 2
Episode: 1
Bite the Bullet

Marie loses a gil

-=Author's Notes=-

And now I'm back on my bullshit with Chapter 2, no big opening, but a very light animation. This one is kind of light because I've decided to start shading again, I think I was rushing it a bit, and am trying to find a better balance between quality and quanity. Either that or I slow down once people take off their shirts. One of the two

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
what in the entire christ

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter 2
Episode: 2
Squeesh (prrrroobably NSFW)

Marie and Spinnelope are awkward

Author's Notes

They're both just like me fr fr

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter
Episode: 3
Sonar

https://bobapearlcomics.com/assets/03203.mp4

-=Author's Notes=-

Things got a little heated, luckily the scaventours were there to help. smile :).

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter 2
Episode: 4
Medical Tourism

Marie and Trombozo continue arguing despite protestations.

I've finally got a backlog going, I can release a comic every 2 days for the next week. So I will do so, until I get less manic, then I'll coast on inertia when I need a break or my wrist feels twingy

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
This is a minor point but.
Thank you for orientating the globe differently.

The comic as a whole still is going into new and fun directions, and I'm cheering for you.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter 2
Episode: 5
Long Ride Home

Baby Scaventour, Baby Scaventour

Author's Notes

Backlog is now written up to 4/31 and rendered up to 4/29 if I do one every two days. I'm getting better and faster and it's making me really happy. I'm glad I've been able to see personal growth.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 28, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter: 2 - Adventuring Academy
Page: 6
Title: Up in Smoke

Uncle gives a hug.

Author's Notes

I've also changed my process a bit, I do things in batches so it's not finalized until the last moment inking as many panels as I can at once, so that if I have to make a change it's the least amount of effort until I'm shading, allowing me to throw away anything I want. Big shout out to the multiple people who helped get that one through my head. I'm very stubborn at times, and it's a detriment to my ability to learn and hone my craft.

Finally, my wife says I spend too much time on the comic to not ask for money, and has demanded I put the patreon and paypal back-up if I am going to spend 30+ hours a week on this. So that'll be coming up soon, and since the first chapter is done, and is nearly 40 - 50 pages, I'm probably going to sell a hardcover, once I figure out what to do with the animations, but they'll probably just be QR Codes. I'll also be hosting an offline version as pay what you want on itch.io that you can run on any computer or browser, and I'll put up a new one with every chapter that finishes.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Apropos of nothing, but I just realized that I had Uncle only say "Oh my god I'm so glad you're safe" last update to Marie, and how she's a twin?

He really should be happy both of them are safe, so I'm going to fix that lol.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter 1, Update 15 I got De Facto and De Jure mixed up, this is gonna be important later so I thought I'd mark that now. It's fixed, I had De Facto, it's now De Jure

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Ok I can't wait anymore, it's technically the 29th in New York.

Page: 7
Title: Jordan

I spent a lot of time for at least a couple of years after transitioning asking women whether women did this or if they did that. It wasn't until a transmasc friend sat me down and explained to me how important it was that I don't worry what women are supposed to do, and instead worry about what I want to do as a woman. Some of that is kind of wrapped up in this, because I imagine Marie still slips and is trying to figure it all out, but hasn't quite gotten there yet. Gender is a constellation of expression imo, not a sliding scale, and while in some ways society defines gender, we also have a say in how society defines something. So while we're trying to reach the ideal of womanhood, we also have to think about what we think that ideal should be. So many people are hurt by gender, because they've become slaves to the societal roles they were assigned. Boys don't cry, Girls aren't funny, etc. etc. etc. I think it's important to remember that we're all just people, and we should be able to do what we want, and be who we want to be, and that's what I'm trying to do with this comic. I'm trying to be the person I want to be, and I hope that you can too.

https://patreon.com/bobapearlessence I will not be spamming this with every post, but there'll be a niiiice shiny button on the site soon.

https://bobapearlcomics.com/media.html If you want to read that whole news article, or in the future other in world poo poo, I've put a place where I can put things I write like that.

https://bobapearlcomics.com/voices.html I've got somewhere I'm hosting voices, and I'm actually working with AI and / or voice actors depending, on creating voices for these. I don't know what I'll use it for but it'll be rad as always.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 8
Title: Recap

Everyone talks about what happened.

Author's Notes
This may sound hosed up, but I'm so exhausted with the comics sad sack stuff. You gotta have character growth, but sometimes you just want to have fun. Luckily, there's no real world analogue for how to grieve a friend who fused with another friend, and burgeoning relationships are fun to get wrapped up in. It's always a special day when my friend groups intermingle and my friends like my friends. Everything is going really smoothly, the response to the patreon has been a bit overwhelming, and I'm deeply grateful. By the way, if you're not reading the somethingawful forums, you're missing out on some really cool poo poo.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

It seems so weird having Lydia be police now, but the "pulled in" part leaves a lot to the imagination. Like did she want the position, or was she made an offer she couldn't refuse? And if the police chief is the kind of figurehead position you can just force some adventurer into, then who's really controlling the police? Also if Lydia's being manipulated into it, that leaves open the possibility that she and Casey could go rogue at some point.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 9
Title: Plan

Author's Notes

We're moving along now at a steady clip, but I'm always just moments away from not getting a comic out in time even with the backlog. The big thing I've been doing is making sure I don't start a page, until the next page in the queue is written and storyboarded. It only takes a few hours to draw, in fact most of my time is asking ChatGPT to poke holes into my plot as much as possible. Whether that'll work out for me, we'll have to wait and see. I've got a rough outline for Chapter 2, and I've got scripts for the next few pages. The very next page is storyboarded I really like Scrivener for writing scripts, but ChatGPT doesn't play nice with it. Honestly, AI has largely kept the fuel to my fire, because when I get in a writer's block, I can spitball ideas back and forth late into the night.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
That also marks 72 panels from Tuesday to Tuesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm thinking of doing a complete re-design of the characters in boots, if someone has the time, I'd love to hear what they think of the art so far. I used to have an art group for this but we had a falling out about a year or so ago, and I don't really have any direction when it comes to art design, or what people think. Even just a "It's bad op" or "It's fine OP" would be great, plus it'd give me a better idea of how many lurkers / posters this thread has.