Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hi boba get better :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I got out of the hospital this morning, we have to monitor o2 levels as they dipped over night, but I have a private medical staff and we're in contact pretty much 24/7. I'm well taken care of, and will recover safely, will post horny before new comic, as we're 2 weeks behind on horny, while only 1 week behind on comic, new comic should be upcoming.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Oh god Boba feel better soon :ohdear:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
lol I think I almost died lmao. I'm good now though, we're going to slow the pace down a bit as I'm pushing myself a weeee bit too hard. Expect updates sometime on Friday. (Aiming for a Saturday midnight deadline.)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
TW: White Noise Static @ 12 fps, Accidental Suicide

Chapter: 2 - Adventuring Academy
Page: 21
Title: Oops!

alt:Marie Commits A Series of Errors.

Author's Notes

I was talking to a user on SomethingAwful about my plot plan, and it actually culminated in this scene, allowing me to cut a lot of cruft from the story to make it a tighter more eagle eyed narrative. They mentioned how real Uncle felt, and had asked if they were based on anyone I knew IRL, which led to today's author's note. Uncle is based on what I imagine a parent should be. I've never had a parent growing up in foster care (this'd make a great author's note,) but the idea of having someone human and flawed who loves you very deeply speaks greatly to me who when I was alone in my group home dealt with a lot of flawed parental figures that I'd wish were able to adopt me. Staff mostly. I kind of hope there are a lot of people like Uncle out there, and if he seems real to the world, that gives me a lot of peace lol.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 28, 2023

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Fumbles you loving dipshit.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I love this :allears: The last bit with the static reminds me of TheDarkId's LP's. Character's loving up and having to reset back to the beginning was a long running joke in his stuff.

Good job Marie :allears:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I dont why I keep expecting good judgement from any of the characters in this comic. Well done.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's crazy to be saying this, but Boots might be over before winter, possibly even before fall.

(Like by planning not just "I'm bored everyone suicides" like the last one.)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 21
Title: Inside her head

Author's Notes

A lot of the times in good story telling, you'll have moments of character growth, where the character learns something valuable about themselves, and change for the better in a satisfying resolution. I'd like to suggest that you can have the opposite, where a character is a huge irredeemable poo poo bag all the way through, and the only lesson they learn is how to be even shittier.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 28, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
This post turned out rather long, so I'm crossposting it with my thread in case people feel not wanting to respond because it might clog this one up.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Excellent. Your choice of angles is perfect in depicting Marie's general malevolence and I like how you figured out how to fit in your fascination with melty goo people.

Yeah I'm glad it landed! Lydia's heel turn never really worked but Marie reveling in her stubborn aggression feels more earned because we sees her being stubborn and aggressive through out the entire comic having her literally lose her integrity felt like a fun way to show this big decision in a physical sense. It also gives us a way to show what Casey is, and why Lydia might have been interested in Marie without directly having to say it. It's set up the perfect end for act 2 we can have the main character hit their lowest point do to their actions and we can go into act 3. You guys have probably all seen the 3 act story outline, but I've been following it pretty religiously, because it's a good way to tell a story.

Act 1: Setup

----Introduction: Introduce the main characters, the setting, and the initial situation. This should engage the audience and establish the tone and style of the story.
----Inciting Incident: An event takes place that sets the story in motion. This incident is something that happens to the protagonist and it usually disrupts the normalcy of their world.
----Immediate Reaction/Decision: The protagonist makes a decision or reacts to the inciting incident, which will drive the rest of the plot.
----Establishment of Stakes: Show the audience what's at risk. This will create emotional investment and help drive the narrative.
----End of Act One Turn: A final event that propels the protagonist out of their normal world and into a new one. They commit to the journey and there is no turning back.

All, or a lot of this is done by the apartment scene, and the still and while they didn't hit quite in this order, I wanted to make sure they DO hit those points. I've been reading a lot of books about writing, and good stories are actually kind of formulaic. It's this thread that suggested I try something a little less ambitious and follow a plot plan like the hero's journey, and I think I am accomplishing that as we turn into our final act.

Act 2: Confrontation

----Rising Action: As the protagonist tries to achieve their goals, they face obstacles and conflicts. These challenges should escalate in intensity.
----Midpoint: A significant event, often a reversal or twist, that changes the protagonist's fortunes. It can be either a high or low point for the protagonist.
----Character Development: The protagonist begins to change and evolve. This may include gaining new skills, forming alliances, or facing personal challenges.
----Subplots: Introduce and develop subplots that may be connected to the main plot. These can help to deepen characters and add complexity to the story.
----Darkest Moment: The protagonist faces the greatest obstacle or the lowest point in the story. It seems like all is lost and the goals are impossible to achieve.
----End of Act Two Turn: A glimmer of hope or new information is revealed that gives the protagonist the will or means to continue.

We're about to see the Darkest Moment, and I'm hoping Act / Chapter 2, that the sword sub plot was literally forgotten about both in writing and then drawing the comic later loving SUCKS, and should have gotten WAY more attention. I think from the apartment, to the still, and then finally defeating the sword had a nice rising action through out the whole thing, and right as we hit the Midpoint AND Darkest Moment, I'm both excited and terrified that I won't stick the landing. I've been trying to create a really tight short narrative, and it's very very difficult, I'm not sure I could do it with less pages.

Act 3: Resolution

----Final Push: Energized by the turn at the end of Act Two, the protagonist makes a final push towards their goal.
----Climax: The peak of the story where the primary conflict comes to a head. The protagonist must face the antagonist or the major obstacle, using everything they’ve learned.
----Falling Action: The immediate repercussions of the climax. This should be much shorter than the rising action and serves to start wrapping up the story.
----Denouement/Resolution: All loose ends are tied up, subplots are resolved, and the audience sees the final state of the characters after the climax.
----Final Image/Reflection: The story closes with a final image or moment that reflects the change in the characters and the resolution of the story. This often mirrors an image or moment from the beginning, showing the contrast between where the characters started and where they are now.

These are my goals for Chapter 3 and if I hit all of them, I'll be rather pleased with myself. I'll have finished a story, and finished a 3 act story, in a way that makes narrative sense and is hopefully fun from beginning to end.

And yeah I'm kind of having to accept muscles scars naiads and slime are the core of the Boba design. They're all just really fun to draw, and I think you can get so expressive with the big pointy ears, or the unsettling ooze. I love doing anatomy studies and the way your body can turn itself into corded iron that can lift huge logs and poo poo is really loving cool. In culinary school I did a lot of butchering, and looking at meats, and the way animals are made of just, bloody tubes of fibers has had a big effect on what I like to draw and study.

I also think I finally hit a style I could stick with in Boots, I think the little archer style lines for the lips, and the thick heavy outlines, and the way I draw eyes are going to be the "Go To" style that I'm going to try and refine into perfection. Though I hope it goes more K6BD then Penny Arcade, (though Penny Arcade came out on top in the end.) The way I mix cartoony bug eyes with everything else is here to stay as well. I've already started writing the next story, as I want a way tighter outline and storyboard going in. I want to be able to tell all my stories, and that means being hawk eyed on what the core tenets of the story are, and the parts I feel must 100% come through.

God it's scary to be finishing a story though.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Happy Landfill posted:

I love this :allears: The last bit with the static reminds me of TheDarkId's LP's. Character's loving up and having to reset back to the beginning was a long running joke in his stuff.

Good job Marie :allears:
God I've been wanting to respond to these so bad, but I wanted to get both halves of this out first. I actually have read / watched the Drakengard LPs, so you've hit the nail on the head, my big thing that got me super interested in the forums was Dangan Ronpa, and a few other cool things that were going on the forums during that time, including the general rise and drama of Let's Play in general.

vorebane posted:

I dont why I keep expecting good judgement from any of the characters in this comic. Well done.
I really do feel like I've managed to hit "It's Always Sunny in One Piece" vibe I was going for.

Post poste posted:

Fumbles you loving dipshit.
:allears:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

God I've been wanting to respond to these so bad, but I wanted to get both halves of this out first. I actually have read / watched the Drakengard LPs, so you've hit the nail on the head, my big thing that got me super interested in the forums was Dangan Ronpa, and a few other cool things that were going on the forums during that time, including the general rise and drama of Let's Play in general.
I joined these forums after lurking Let's Play as well :respek: Knowing that that is a TDI reference makes me absolutely giddy.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 22
Title: Inside her head

Marie sees the light

Author's Notes

I love the more when it's done update schedule, especially for my health, plus it lets me pace this out better for everyone reading live, and gives me ''page breaks'' between ''pages.''

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
the k6bd comic today was so good it actually through me into an existential crisis as far as my art is concerned.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 23
Title: Muffled

Marie is also tired

Author's Notes

I'm so tired, though fun fact, Marie's current form is based on something I actually see regularly it's rare that I can capture the essence of one of my hallucinations, but they're not all scary. Some are just pitiful, and I'm glad I could capture that feeling to canvas.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Fascinating :catstare:

I think we've all been there, Marie

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter: 3 - No
Page: 01
Title: No

No

Author's Notes

No

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 28, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

No

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So by my count, there's about 940 panels of boots, That's 156 pages at 6 panels to a page.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
im terrified to be ending this project. and doing it properly.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Family has demanded I take a break, and took my stylus for a number of days, in the mean time I made this teaser for the next project.

https://voca.ro/1cunrR0xXNeZ

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 02
Title: Comeback

Marie bounces back

AUTHOR NOTES
Hey so you may notice a complete change in tone and direction from what was previously in the comic. If not, then pat on my back for not making it noticeable. I was rushing towards a pretty lovely rock falls everyone dies ending. Spinnelope was going to be a serial killer who killed the other 4 while Marie was out and give her the core and be her dark queen.

I've done this 2 or 3 times already, where I get scared of my story, or I have a psychotic break, or I get burnt out, and we enter a dream sequence, then rocks fall, story changes. I'm still on a sprint to the planned end and working on the new project (Can I do both at once?) But I'm going to do it right. If you're writing a story, a lot of the times it'll get to a point where it's hard and scary and I just wanted to bail so that I didn't fail.

What's kind of funny, for me at least, is that I've unintentionally created a very accurate metaphor of what it's like for me to experience psychosis and delusions, momentarily. It's like someone pulls the trigger, and your life completely changes. Nothing makes sense, everything is melting, you're watching yourself be different, but you don't know you're being different, and then later you snap out of it just as fast and have to deal with the consequences. Now it's horifically problematic to depict a mental break like that by turning your character into a cackling villain, and I would never do that intentionally, but if Marie had all the same things happen, but thought the government was watching her to kill her family, that'd be pretty much the metaphor for what my life is like when poo poo gets bad.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm trying to pace myself for my mental health, updates should still come out at a pretty fast pace for webcomic standards.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 03
Title: Bounties

Marie is finally famous

Author's Notes

50,000$ USD in the 1920s would be equivalent to about 1,000,000$ USD today, and 10,000$ USD would be equivalent about 200,000$ USD, or rounds abouts. Just to give you a rough short hand of what's going on here.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
All comic pages updated to the new domain. Pog

Page: 04
Title: Mentor

We have a new URL that is breaking embeds for a moment while the domain transfers. https://bobapearlcomics.com/ and I broke rss again, so the new rss feeds are comic specific /boots/rss.xml and soon to be /queen/rss.xml. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do two comics at once, it may be a bad idea, but I don't want to give up on Marie's story, so putting it aside every couple of weeks might be nice, I could also just go on hiatus for a week or two and work on Queen's story on my own so I have a big juicy story dump to drop when the new one comes out. Either way, I've completely renovated the site to work with multiple comics. The front page is now a library is a big change, and always shows the latest comic of a comic, or if it's finished the first page. It's pretty snazzy, so go check it out. Fanmail and credits are still all there, but I reworked the navbar to be a bit more wieldy, as before it was uh... Unwieldy. wieldly? whatever. It's not so chonk.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 28, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Doing all the urls over meant going over the comic in it's entirety 3x, and reading a bunch of the comments people had.

omg. people love this poo poo, it makes me so happy to reflect on my growth and the fans of the project and everything.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I added a button that no-one will use but me to the website.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Seriously, your facial expressions have gotten so good. This update looks great!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 05
Title: Messy
Marie is depressed.

[-=Author Notes=-]
Sad girl summer is officially over. I'm tired of sad women being sad and drawing sad people crying and angry. Now 'tis the time for fun and enjoyment. It's the time for Marie to be happy and have fun. I'm going to try to keep the tone light and fun for a while.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm fully aware of how arrogant it is to say this.

But this comic is so loving good, I just re-read the whole thing right now, and I'm really proud.

Truly amazing stuff, I'm going to post my favorite poo poo.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's like my comic was made specifically to hit all my favorite stuff.

(It was.)

((I rule))

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

You gotta make things that you enjoy first and foremost:allears:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Just a heads up, I'm taking all the NSFW tier rewards off of the patreon, it's just like... Not fun for me. I thought it'd be easier than it was, and it ended up taking a lot of time for something I didn't enjoy.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Next comic needs 23 panels to do correctly, so it's going to be uhhhh... a hot minute.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Rooting for you :yaycat:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Need another day or so, but here's something rad to tide you over.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I love seeing it all laid out like that! How cool :shobon:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 06
Title: Kisses
Spinnelope Explains.

[-=Author Notes=-]
That jokes old as hell, and if you've never heard of it, I'm really glad to be the person to introduce you to it. Now, let's talk about what I just wrote, because I can not shut up about my own writing. One of the reasons it was so important to not have humans in this comic is for scenes, or possibly just this scene, where we talk about the societal expectations of beauty, and gender. Why are people with bug eyes ugly, but skeletons aren't? That's kind of how I feel about my gender lol. Like, what the gently caress makes a woman, who decides, why is that? So I created a world where the societal expectations would seem slightly absurd on their face. I'm hoping to make you feel a fraction of what I feel when trying to examine gender in any real way.

Did I accomplish that? gently caress if I know, I'm terrified of this one to be perfectly frank with you, but you've stuck it out this far, so you're probably down with it. Unless you somehow started with this comic, which, I guess then heres the vibe check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Happy Landfill posted:

I love seeing it all laid out like that! How cool :shobon:

It's been so awesome, seeing it just sprint at the start of marie has been so rad.