Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Me, 10 years ago: Mad Men is so cool! I want to switch careers and get into marketing!
Me, now: Why can't I get this loving blog image to be centered
:(

It's the Marketing Megathread!
Feel free to vent about your overdemanding boss, lack of leads, antagonistic sales people, insufferable clients, or anything else that comes with the territory of being a ~ * ~ CrEaTiVe TyPe ~ * ~ in a corporate world.

You can also consult with other marketing goons here. Personally, I intend to ask a bunch of questions about HubSpot and other MarTech that totally expose me as a fraud enrich me as a marketing professional, because one can only look through so many reference libraries and 5-year-old support forums posts.

To start, I'm curious to hear what other kinds of marketing goons are kicking around this forum. Agency grunts? Copywriters? Account Managers? Graphic designers? More middle management like me?

I'm a marketing manager at a small business of ~50 people in a department of 2; myself and my direct. The CEO is also technically the marketing director, though he'll be stepping away from that role soon. I'm sure I'll be sharing a lot more about my situation (which seems to be a bit unorthodox, as I've learned) but I'll save some of that for future posts.

(Last thing: if people want an informational OP with lots of links and resources and advice then ummmm.................write it up yourself and I'll put it here. Unfortunately I'm probably going to be less of a source of knowledge in this thread, and more of a vacuum for one. Hey, being upfront about my incompetence has gotten me this far, so I'm going to keep riding that wave!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Sweet, a marketing thread!

I manage a digital marketing services/ops team for a megacorp - we’re responsible for a little bit of everything, but mainly marketing automation, analytics and lead gen.

Working in digital for a huge company involves a ton of data governance and CRM process issues,
so I spend most of my time in meetings with other teams and functions(marketing, sales, IT) trying to figure out how to get anything done and to fix broken poo poo.

My team rules, which helps make they day-to-day better.

Let’s hear about your unorthodox situation!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Quarterroys posted:

Sweet, a marketing thread!

I manage a digital marketing services/ops team for a megacorp - we’re responsible for a little bit of everything, but mainly marketing automation, analytics and lead gen.

Working in digital for a huge company involves a ton of data governance and CRM process issues,
so I spend most of my time in meetings with other teams and functions(marketing, sales, IT) trying to figure out how to get anything done and to fix broken poo poo.

My team rules, which helps make they day-to-day better.

Let’s hear about your unorthodox situation!
Welcome! I've had to deal with compliance-type stuff only a handful of times, but it's always a complete pain in the rear end.

Regarding my unorthodoxy...I'll try to keep this brief, both for brevity's sake and to avoid doxxing myself. I was hired as the Digital Marketing Strategist (read: SEO guy) at this company in Jan. 2020 by the then-Marketing Manager. The two of us, along with a Digital Marketing Coordinator, made up the entire marketing department. In Nov. 2020, the Marketing Manager resigned, then in May 2021 the Coordinator left for another opportunity, leaving me holding the bag.

To further complicate things, our CEO (who also technically holds the title Marketing Director) moved back to his home country in Europe during the Summer of 2021, so now I'm at a point where I am:

- The only person in the marketing department
- Reporting to the CEO, who lives 6 hours ahead of us here in the US
- Not actually trained in running a marketing dept. (my degree is in music composition LOL)

So for an entire year, I did it all myself: adding products to our website (which involves prodding the Product Management team along), producing 2-3 blogs per month, sending monthly newsletters to all customers, project-managing all website updates, and then of course all the other stuff that always comes up: random ad campaigns, video production, being responsible for our lead count (and quality), and of course participating in all the manager-level meetings and stuff. OH and I also coordinated our appearance at a giant medical trade show.

Last summer I finally got to hire a direct, a new Digital Marketing Coordinator. And much like you, I'm thankful that she's so solid—really makes the overwhelming amount of work that needs to get done feel a lot less overwhelming.

For over a year the CEO has been saying he wants to take a step back from US operations and focus on ramping up a Europe office, meaning he needs someone to take on his Marketing Director responsibilities. For a while it was a question of "do we promote timp to this inner executive circle, or hire someone else?" and I was told last week that they've opted to recruit someone with more marketing and industry experience for that role. I'll stay on as manager, but I have no idea how responsibilities are going to be divided up going forward.

So that's that! I actually wrote a bit more but decided to edit for now; there will be plenty of time to complain in the weeks to come :v:

(Also thank you to the mod that stickied this thread!)

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
hi I worked in travel & tourism marketing for a long time then went into a pseudo software engineering / marketing role now mostly involving HubSpot.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

timp posted:

- Not actually trained in running a marketing dept. (my degree is in music composition LOL)

Oh sweet, it's not just me. Hi, I studied journalism and music and somehow wound up as a marketing manager (where I manage a bunch of people who have masters of marketing degrees...)

My background is in brand, creative production and campaign management, and right now I'm in higher education leading a team. It's been a big change to get used to as my previous roles were really focused on leading a particular aspect of a project, and now the projects are way, way bigger with more stakeholders involved. It's a good challenge - I've never had any CRM experience so that's going to be a massive thing for me to upskill on in particular.

What project methodology/tracking software do you guys all use at work? I've gone through Monday which I loved, Microsoft Planner which I hated, and at my current role we all have to use Jira (but not Jira for Marketing). Have also found that every place I've worked in the last 10 years has had the marketing teams do software Agile training and then have to rejig it entirely to make it relevant for marketing campaign management.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
We use ClickUp

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I have always been apart of marketing but i am not a marketer.

I do customer insights, which requires a completely different skillset than a regular marketer, but boy howdy do i enjoy it.

we're the pains in the rear end that go "no my dude, the customer does NOT want that, and maybe you shouldn't fat shame them in the commercial for buying twizzlers because people don't like that"

(that was a real commercial that they didn't have us test until after it was in market and then they tried to cover their rear end but everyone hated it)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
what do you folks think of bill hicks?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sent an email to ~20,000 people today, our first one sent via HubSpot. I’ll never get over that feeling of dread that starts about an hour before sending and lasts until about an hour after hitting send :ohdear:

This one seemed to have gone over without any fatal flaws or anything so all’s well that ends well. Even seeing evidence of new leads as a result of sending it! Now let’s just hope one of them turns into a million dollar deal so I can take full credit for it :v:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jumpsuit posted:

What project methodology/tracking software do you guys all use at work? I've gone through Monday which I loved, Microsoft Planner which I hated, and at my current role we all have to use Jira (but not Jira for Marketing). Have also found that every place I've worked in the last 10 years has had the marketing teams do software Agile training and then have to rejig it entirely to make it relevant for marketing campaign management.

We use Asana and it's...fine. I spend a good deal of time in it since most of the work I do consists of managing and executing on little projects.

When I was at my last job (a marketing agency) we used Accelo, and I actually kinda liked it. I've also dabbled in Monday and Trello but I'm sure I barely scratched the surface on those

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Sweet, a marketing thread! Working in the biz for 6 years now, currently involved with HubSpot quite intensely. Feel free to ask me anything about it.

As for project management, Monday.com is the best choice for marketing teams. Jira is just too drat engineery.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Need to vent a bit.

At the beginning of this year the executive team (CEO, COO, Director of Sales and Senior Product Manager) was debating whether or not I should be called up from Marketing Manager to Marketing Director, and become part of said executive team. The CEO is currently holding that title but he really doesn't have the time required to do it the way it needs to be done in addition to all the other stuff he's doing/wants to be doing.

CEO tells me that they like my work and consider me an asset to the company, but they're concerned I don't yet have the experience needed to make big picture strategy decisions. To be honest I don't entirely disagree with the judgement. As I've mentioned before in this thread I came into Marketing in my late 20's, starting at entry-level and slowly working my way up. To be considered at all sort of felt like being seeded #16 in a bracket, advancing all the way to the championship, and losing the final game: Sure it stung a bit, but I never expected to be in the running in the first place so ultimately it's fine. They find a suitable candidate and extend an offer to a new Marketing Director, who starts on March 27th. When she starts I'll report to her instead of the CEO (hope she's cool, never met her before!)

One thing I make sure to clarify as soon as he breaks the news to me: Will I still manage Sarah, the Marketing Coordinator I hired last August? He thinks about it for a second and says yes, no reason why you wouldn't continue to be her manager.

Cut to my annual review with the CEO one month ago (a month late lol). The review went well, got a respectable raise and decent performance marks and all that. We get to the goals to work on for the next year, and I mention that one thing I want to work on is developing more as a people manager. Things have been going well with Sarah since I hired her. She gets all her work done on time, has a positive attitude, never shows up late, etc, but even more importantly, she recently disclosed that she likes working here and having me as a manager, which was nice to hear. CEO agrees and we make soft plans for me to attend Manager Tools conferences as a way to work on the goal. I mention wanting to grow the department and get more directs and he agrees that will come eventually. Meeting ends.

Cut to yesterday, at the end of a standard weekly Marketing meeting with the CEO. He's like, "Hey, so I've been thinking about it, and it really wouldn't make sense for Sarah to report to you, and then you to report to the Director. Instead, you'll both report to the Director".

Here's the thing: Like the decision to hire a Marketing Director rather than promote me up, I actually don't disagree with this choice. It'd be weird to have this unnecessary chain of command where we're basically playing telephone for no reason. But like...what the hell, man?! I'm trying to manage over here! We all agreed a month ago that I was doing good as a manager and wanted to develop that skill. And now you turn around and take my one and only direct away from me? Shitballs!

I have to break the news to Sarah later today and I know she's going to be bummed about it. When I told her about the Director being hired, her first question was whether or not she'd still report to me and I said yes, because that was what the CEO said when I last asked him.

I feel like there's more I could say but this E/N post has gotten long enough. And I do feel a bit better about things after typing that all out, so...mission accomplished? :confused:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Feel free to gut check in the corporate thread, but my read on the situation is you are capped out at this company and need to seek elsewhere for career advancement.

They like you and think you do ABC well. In fact, you do ABC so well they removed people management tasks from your plate so you can do ABC and maybe add DEF competencies.

When the department adds enough headcount to need a manager role, $10 says the new director will interview you but hire an external. It’ll be “a really, really, tough choice, but the external has more of the direct management experience we were looking for.”

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Feel free to gut check in the corporate thread, but my read on the situation is you are capped out at this company and need to seek elsewhere for career advancement.

They like you and think you do ABC well. In fact, you do ABC so well they removed people management tasks from your plate so you can do ABC and maybe add DEF competencies.

When the department adds enough headcount to need a manager role, $10 says the new director will interview you but hire an external. It’ll be “a really, really, tough choice, but the external has more of the direct management experience we were looking for.”

This poo poo is why I work at a small agency and just accept that it means less pay, I cannot stand all that bullshit.

Also, hi thread. Anyone else here work in digital ad-buying? All of our traffic ads with Meta have suddenly stopped converting for the client on the website side, no matter how much traffic we drive for them, despite no visible change on our end in CPC or any other key metric. It's across almost all clients so it's difficult to explain away as an economic or seasonal lull, and we're wondering if click farm bots are starting to consistently hit ads or something. I'm not seeing a lot about it online, though. Has anyone else seen this?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
How's everybody doing with all the layoffs hitting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I know there's a job thread but this one might be a better fit...

Manning is an independent publisher of computer books and online learning for software professionals and enthusiasts. We are an entirely virtual organization based on Shelter Island, New York, with team members from far-flung places like Zagreb and Mumbai.
We are expanding our marketing team! We’re looking for senior and entry-level marketers who are passionate about the technical education industry and have experience with traditional and online marketing. The ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
• Experience marketing technical education products such as books, videos, or online learning 
• Experience engaging with technical communities through social media, digital marketing, or in-person events
• Experience with tools such as Semrush, Woodpecker, and Evaboot
• Experience creating direct mail marketing materials using tools like Constant Contact, Mail Chimp, or Listrak
• Demonstrated ability to write accurate and interesting product descriptions
• Degree in publishing, marketing, communications, or a related field
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Knowledge of digital marketing, social media platforms, and data analytics tools such as Google Analytics
• Strong organizational and time management skills
Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working with software developers or other IT professionals. Prior experience in book publishing is preferred but not required.

PM me if interested.