Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

The world of Vana'diel is a crossroads of magic, swords, and technology.
It is also a battlefield where those who believe in light face monsters that thrive in darkness.
The struggle centers on the control of crystals: sacred stones that are the fundamental source of all creation.

The monsters showed no mercy as they laid waste to beautiful towns, ravaged the land, and polluted the streams and rivers of Vana'diel. But the people united to seize victory from the jaws of the beastmen, earning themselves temporary respite from a life-and-death struggle.

Twenty years have passed since the people's great victory. But now, even as the memories of battle have begun to fade, a new evil grows inside Vana'diel... And it hungers for the power of the crystals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CUepYCA4c8

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pr7pB-nJkg

Welcome to Let's Play Final Fantasy 11! Started in 2002 on the PS2 and PC, this was the first Final Fantasy MMO before God descended from on high and gave us the award winning Final Fantasy 14. More or less this was Squaresoft's take on the Everquest formula, sit in a camp with several other people and level by killing mobs that would slowly respawn. The story existed it was nothing stellar. Over time the game evolved beyond its roots, the story got better, the gameplay grew some teeth, eventually most of the game could even be done by oneself.

Maybe you've played Final Fantasy 14 and are curious about the first MMO.
Maybe you are a fan of Final Fantasy and just don't do MMOs.
Maybe you are just reading this for the schadenfreude.

No matter why you are here I hope to give you all a look into the stories of Final Fantasy 11 without the need to jump through the hoops of figuring out how to sign up for the drat thing, dealing with a UI that has stayed the same for 20 years, and mucking about with addons until the game is parsable. Despite its flaws I will absolutely go to bat and say this is a good game worth experiencing in some form.

So lets get down to how this will be going down!

I'll be doing this in screenshot format with some videos tossed in from time to time. FF11 is still a MMO and a slow one at that. Trust me when I say you do not want to see me flap about for hours looking for a drop or running through a zone for the 40th time killing crabs. I'll be doing the expansions in order for the most part, I'll do all the Job quests, probably show off some end game stuff, and If I hate myself enough I'll do the mini expansions as a low priority. I'll also do some behind the scenes and mechanical updates when the mood takes me. I have a little nothing written out ahead of time and it takes about a day to get the material for an update and a day to write the update itself. Expect one every three four days or so unless something goes really wrong. Because of how some of the reputation grinds for certain quests work this will take a year minimum to do everything. Yes I regret this.

You'll notice some evolution in my screenshot taking as we go and by the middle of Zilart the quality vastly improves as I finally get the text window fixed how I want it. As for music... Square Enix has been going hard on taking down music lately and some of FF11 is not up on their official youtube so I'm going to insert music retroactively with "gameplay" if I need to on a separate youtube account from whatever real stuff I put up incase it gets nuked. That mess won't be a priority so later on expect a lack of music at times. I'll update the crab count every expansion.

Year 1 Update: Hey everyone, thanks for reading this thing for a whole year! Boy has this been a learning experience as a first Let's Play. The worst idea for a first Let's Play! Chains I think is the quality I want to aim for through this thing. Audio issues in videos are fixed, text boxes are nicer, I interact with the story in a way where you can just ignore my text if you want. Yeah this feels about right. The biggest goal of this thing is to archive the story of Final Fantasy 11 in a way that doesn't depend on video, if I happen to tell a nice story for Visaria too that's great. Really I just want everyone to be able to enjoy this game and this feels like the best format for it. If you happen to be reading this for the first time, welcome and enjoy the backlog. If the first handful of updates don't grab you try jumping to Zilart or Chains and see if those updates are up your alley. You can always jump back later if you feel like learning about specific plot details. One thing I would like to do when I have time is go back (also going forward) and add related reading links to all the updates for easy looking up of things. Anyway, one year and 5,551 dead crabs. This next year should see us through Treasures and Wings at the very least. They are longer than Chains. Yay.

If you'd like help getting into the game or have questions about something please ask away. We have a FF11 thread over in MMO HMO full of people to answer questions as well.

Keep spoilers for anything we haven't seen yet in tags please. I've been through this before but I'm going to guess most readers probably have not. Same goes for FF14 if it gets brought up as a comparison.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Base Final Fantasy 11

1. Adventurer
2. Your Place In The World
3. I Can Hear A Rainbow
4. A Mockery Of Chivalry
5. An Omen
6. Dark And Light
7. Jeuno
8. Of Gobbies And Men
9. Magicite
10. Shattering Stars
11. The Rhapsodies Of Vana'diel
12. The Shadow Lord

Rise Of The Zilart

13. The Zilart
14. I'm Awake
15. The Dawnmaidens
16. Beyond The Stars
17. The Will Of The Crystal
18. Reaching For The Gods
19. A Tale Of Blades And Dragons
20. Ark Angels
21. Paradise
22. The Heart Of A Lion
23. The Wild Rose
24. Lightbringer
25. Assassin
26. Ascension
27. The Dragon King's Legacy
28. Queen Visaria

Chains Of Promathia

29. Meltdown
30. The Enigmatic Youth
31. Promyvion
32. The Isle Of Forgotten Saints
33. Prishe
34. Nocturne Of The Gods
35. Bahamut
36. A Transient Dream
37. The Worst Day Of My Life
38. The Knights Mistalle
39. The Worst Week Of My Life
40. Parradamo Tor
41. Nightmare
42. Diabolos
43. Ulmia
44. Memoria
45. The Abhorrent One
46. Promathia
47. To Sing To You Your Song
48. Catching Up
49. Clouded Dawn
50. Desires Of Emptiness
51. The Chains That Bind Us
52. Bringer Of Rainbows
53. Treasure
54. Rage
55. Fenrir
56. Three Paths Interlude 1: End Of The Rainbow
57. A Prishe Hunt
58. Sin Hunters
59. The Star Of Tavnazia
60. Three Paths Interlude 2: Once Upon A Time
61. Three Paths Interlude 3: Happily Ever After
62. Luck
63. Goldmane
64. Moblins
65. Diplomacy
66. Jabbos
67. Roads That Run So Near
68. The Whisper Of The Soul
69. Cardinal Mildaurion
70. The Final Verse
71. One To Be Feared
72. Keeper Of The Apocalypse
73. In The Light Of The Crystal
74. Final Fantasy
75. Gobsmacked
76. A Twist In Fate
77. Tenzen
78. Blessed by Light
79. Angels Chained
80. Al'Taieu
81. I May Know The Answers
82. Hand And Hand Together
83. The Truth
84. Promathia
85. Distant Worlds Together
86. Miracles From Realms Beyond
87. Dawn
88. Sin Washed Away
89. The Burden Of Shadows
90. Journeys Over Snow And Sand
91. His Witness
92. My Treasure
93. Trust
94. Judgement
95. Memory Of The Stone
96. Across The Limitless Eternity
97. A Broken Heart Made Whole

Dynamis
1. The Lament Of The Dead
2. Regrets, I've Had A Few
3. Kingdom Come
4. What Dreams May Come

Abyssea

Treasures Of Aht Urhgan

98. Mercenary
99. Contracted
100. Pirates Of The Near East
101. A Pirate's Life For Me
102. Hell
103. An Empty Vessel
104. I'm Using A Whole Main Update To Explain Blue
105. Undercover
106. Espionage
107. A Master Of Puppets
108. Bad News
109. Immortal
110. The Ruins Of Alzadaal
111. Transformations
112. A Vessel Shattered
113. The Beast Within
114: I'm Using A Whole Main Update To Explain Pup And Cor
115. The Whims Of A Puppet
116. Fly With Me
117. An Imperial Visitor
118. Ghost
119. Ephramad
120. The Black Coffin
121. Nashmeira II
122. Everything Is Terrible
123. The Undefeated Of The West
124. A Tea Break
125. Lady Karababa
126. Olduum
127. Pride
128. Please Remember To Leave A Good Review
129. The Shield
130. The Enemy Of My Enemy's Enemy Is My Enemy
131. Suffering From Success
132. Hydrogauge

Wings Of The Goddess

Seekers Of Adoulin

Rhapsodies Of Vana'diel

1. Siren
2. Reunion
3. Phoenix

The Picture Above Clearly Says Jobs

1. Dark Knight
2. Red Mage
3. White Mage
4. Paladin
5. Dragoon Part 1
6. Dragoon Part 2
7. Summoner Part 1
8. Summoner Part 2
9. Summoner Part 3
10. Summoner Part 4
11. Summoner Part 5
12. Beastmaster
13. Thief
14. Samurai Part 1
15. Ninja
16. Samurai Part 2
17. Puppet Stuff!

Miscellaneous Updates And Notes

1. Gameplay
2. Leveling and Crab
3. Mini Adventure 1: The Invisible Weapon
4. April Fools: Visaria Kills A Taru
5. Gear

Last and certainly not least if you have a job you'd like to see me feature starting after the base game(about 12 updates) please in BOLD let me know and I'll keep a list. Vote for more than one if you want.

Current Options Include: Thief, Monk, Warrior, White Mage, Black Mage, Red Mage, Dark Knight(I will be this for the majority of the base game), Paladin, Summoner, Bard, Ranger, Dragoon, Samurai, Ninja, Beastmaster

Dancer, Scholar, Geomancer, Rune Fencer, Puppeteer, Blue Mage, and Corsair can be requested but will take a while to show up. Especially Dancer, Scholar, Geomancer, and Rune Fencer.

CRABS KILLED IN BASE 11: 675
CRABS KILLED IN ZILART: 1550
CRABS KILLED IN CHAINS: 2130
CRABS KILLED IN FF 14: 4

TIMES KILLED BY A CRAB: 1

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

ART

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Crab gang: "You came to the wrong neighbourhood, motherfucker."

Look all I'm saying is Vana'diel is a dangerous place and you should be careful what alleyways you walk down at night.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 25, 2023

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 1: Adventurer

San d'Oria(Bagpipe warning)

The fortress city of San d'Oria lies to the north on the great continent on Quon. The beating heart of an ancient kingdom, it is home to a thousand legends past.
But now, her reign of glory is but a memory. Heroes raise shining swords to the heavens no more.
The sun has set on the kingdom of knights. An old lion, never to rise again... Thus do some dismiss her now.
Yet young Elvaan knights still venture proudly into the wilds of Vana'diel, determined to triumph over any foe.

On this particular day there comes a new adventurer, ready to make a name for herself in San d'Oria.
The king wishes to bolster his ranks, and Visaria has journeyed far to answer the call.

Should fortune favor her, bards across the land will sing of her exploits for generations to come.
Of course, she has only begun her rise to glory. No one can tell what her future holds.
Never before has she set foot within the Elvaan capital, but she is resolved to let nothing stand in her way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My business, you see, it isn't doing very well. You can't step a hundred feet outside of town without spotting an orc and if that orc spots you back, you run. Maybe you'll make it to a guard or maybe you lose an arm or maybe you are lucky enough to be able to fight ONE of them off. Makes it difficult for people to travel. Unsafe public infrastructure is possibly the great issue of our times. Deplorable.

I'll put it bluntly, I'm a thief, I live off people traveling the roads. Thieving inside the cities is rough, lots of guards who should be out keeping the roads safe. So what's a rogue to do but rebrand and get some government kickbacks?

Adventurers wanted. See the world. Free room. Some pay. No, Training necessary! No official responsibility if you die. Must be able to hit things. Sign me up! Not like I'm doing anything anyway. At least I get a free place to sleep.

Making my way into the city I bump into a guard while looking for my new room in the port.

He tells me to watch it before realizing I'm a new recruit and apologizes for chastising me on my first day. Still however he stresses as a citizen of San d'Oria I should be more mindful. He would have finished the speech but a man in full plate walks down the steps and asks the guard what he is up to.

He smells of Gil.
He tells me to strengthen my sword arm and stature as a knight and that will best serve the glory of the kingdom. Yep. I'll get on that.
I smell Gil again. Ah his brother and sister have appeared...

"San d'Oria has more than enough soldiers already, brother. Speaking of which, should you not be training them, instead of bothering new recruits with talk of war?"
The knight is taken aback by this and both he and his sister scold, from what I can tell, the priest who won the worst hat competition.
He doubles down and says the ranks of the army could swell to bursting and victory would still be far. The knight bites back that numbers are better than his misguided tactics.
I seem to have found out why I got laid off within my first several minutes in the city.
"My tactics, misguided? Oh, that is rich! Tell me of the tactics that lost an entire company in Batallia Downs the other day?"
Yep, just gonna stand here.
"It's good you're so fond of talking, as I've never seen you wield a sword! Better to shout orders from the rear than reveal your ineptitude in actual combat!"
Just gonna stand here with this guard who is definitely not paid enough for this.
Their sister steps in and tells them to stop their nonsense. They snipe some insults at each other on the way out.

She apologizes for her brothers and tells me to bring glory to the kingdom before walking off.

The guard assures me they are actually the closest of brothers and asks if I need any directions. I decline and he gives me a voucher for 50 gil to hand to some lady to make sure I understand how to turn in things to people. The voucher lady tells me to head to the town gates for work or some basic training.

Wonderful where is my room?

Mog House

Ah it is empty save for a moogle. Well better than nothing. He calls me master and manages my house. Here I can store all sorts of stuff even change jobs incase I ever want to not be a cutpurse in the middle of a society of knights. In my time as a proto-adventurer I've picked up fist fighting like a Monk, swinging heavy chunks of metal like a Warrior, and Thieving obviously. Though I know no magic myself how hard could it be to be a White, Red, or Black Mage? You go to a magic shop buy some scrolls and rub them on your face until you learn to set stuff on fire... or like unset things on fire...

Anyway tonight I sleep on the floor, tomorrow I'll buy myself a bed.

My moogle has informed me a bed costs 50000 gil. Beds are for earners apparently. I'm going to actually have to work aren't I?

Ronfaure

Fine lets get our bearings. Knife? check. Armor? That is also for earners. I head out of town and hunt a few(dozen) rabbits. Some wild sheep. Tussle with an orc or two. In total from the rabbit meat and pelts I didn't totally destroy in my stabbings I made about 200 gil.

Okay message received I'll go pick up work from the knights.
Beat up some orcs and take their axes as proof.

Got it. Already done. Pay me.

Pay is also for earners. No I get another mission as a reward and if I do this one maybe the next one actually pays. Before the anger truely hits me a young man inserts his way into our conversation. He prays the lord knight answer if Queen Leaute truly passed away 15 years ago and what was the cause of her death.

Grilau has the proper reaction of who the hell are you and why are you asking that? The man reveals he has traveled far to see her highness. Ok sure.

She died 15 years ago to a rare illness that wasn't able to be cured. He seems to accept this. Even if she was alive he'd never see the inside of the Chateau d'Oraguille as a mere adventurer.
I feel a slight sting, no idea why.
He asks the name of her illness and the knight tells him that it was above her paygrade to know the name of it. He thanks her for her time and wanders off.

He seemed to know the queen personally but was unaware of her death, how bizarre. Anyway my job is done for now. They'll see about getting me better work.

It is very clear to me I got swindled by words like fame and payment. I'm better off hunting big game than helping to advance society. This is fine. As long as I look like I'm working, shuffle some papers, shake my fist at some orcs, they will let me keep my room and talking pillow.

There is however one issue with my 'try to make my life slightly better' plan though. I can barely deal with the dumber orcs that wander too close to town by myself how am I gonna fight something meaner than that? Oh look a convenient flier! "Trusts! Summon alter-egos of your acquaintances to help you through the hellscape that is life! Powered by friendship and bonds! Mostly free!"

I head over to a man named Gondebaud who explains the program to me. He a member of the Jeuno Institute of Magic Studies assigned to more or less test a new form of incantation. Probably dangerous if done wrong but that is what adventurers are for.

I'm to head to the northern city gate and look for a man who runs mock skirmishes called "Ballista". Apparently some call this guy the "grand hero of San d'Oria". He stepped up to be the first involved. Safety and such. Windurst and Bastok also have trust programs running but that will have to wait for another day. First I need to go find this Excenmille fellow and hand him a letter of recommendation.

Sometime, Somewhere

I find him no problem. I expected grander honestly.

He introduces himself as Excenmille M Aurchiat overseer of all Conflict-related matters.

Wait what bonds?

Huh it worked, there is two of him now.

Yep, two of him. Cool. He was actually surprised it worked. He only managed to get it to work one other time with his oldest pal Rahal, leader of the royal knights. Odd. I'm sure this was just a coincidence. I got what I came for and I head back to Gondebaud to report. From now on I should be able to use this trust magic with anyone my bond is deep enough with according to the guide book. The Institute has a few helpful alter-egos to hand out as well.

Phew. Excenmille did mention Rahal, I'll swing by and grab his alter-ego as well. If it worked with Excenmille it will probably work for Rahal.

Next time: Understanding the world hell you exist in

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 6, 2023

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ooooh! Bookmarked hard.

Fat and Useless posted:

Next time: Understanding the world hell you exist in

I KNOW HER! SHE GAVE ME MY COOL SAMURAI ARMOR!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Sanguinia posted:

Ooooh! Bookmarked hard.

I KNOW HER! SHE GAVE ME MY COOL SAMURAI ARMOR!

She is a sweet bean and we will learn her deal next time.

Also anyone reading this if you haven't read Sanguinia's trip through FF14, what are you doing? Stop reading this and go read a good LP! Then come back and settle for this one when you run out.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I wish you luck on the long road ahead, adventurer.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh that's... that is unexpected.

I never played FFXI but occasionally I hear someone's anguished cries about the game mechanics online.

This will be fun!

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I've only played FFXI a few times due to curiousity and it's a pretty neat thing to look and compare to FFXIV.

I did hear quite a few horror stories involving this, specifically some of the bosses in the game and a single Job's ability.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Final Fantasy 11 is a game I've tried to pick up a few times but just never really made it that far in. I feel like if I'd found it at the right time, it would've absorbed my attention for years. Always started Sarutabaruta as well, so it'll be interesting to see what the other places are like.

(Hell, I'd once thought of maybe doing a likely ill-fated LP of it myself some day in the future, but it's definitely better that someone who knows the game tackles this.)

Will be quietly reading this to see what happens!

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016

Fat and Useless posted:

CRABS KILLED AS OF BASE 11: 675

Oh man is this number going to go places.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Fat and Useless posted:

CRABS KILLED AS OF BASE 11: 675

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE AGAINST MY PEOPLE

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 2: Your Place In The World

Long, long ago, an ancient race, descended from the gods, flourished in Vana'diel.
They traveled through the sky, extracted gold from stones, and gave birth to grasslands across the world.

But one day, they decided to build a pathway to the divine entrance of paradise.
Enraged by such a brazen display of insolence, the holy gatekeeper destroyed their path and cast their homes to the bottom of the sea.

Shortly thereafter, the goddess Altana awakened and saw the ruin that had once been Vana'diel. Saddened, She wept five divine tears.
When the five tears fell upon the earth, they gave life to the five races of Vana'diel.

But the god Promathia saw this from His place in the shadows.
Promathia saw fit to condemn Her work, cursing the people with eternal conflict amongst themselves.
He created terrible beasts and spread them across the world, commanding them to fight the people of Vana'diel and occupy their minds.
Never again would they think to open the gate of the gods.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vana'diel March

Last time we had a bunch of proper nouns. Lets make some sense of them.

Here's a map of the Middle Lands and the Near East. We will be spending a lot of time here and I'll fill in some spots as we go. As a sense of scale of the world, San d'Oria is built on the lake above it's name on the map. Most trade in San d'Oria is done with airship, some is done by traditional ship with the aid of Selbina to the south.

Bastok far to the south of San d'Oria is famous for it's mythril mines and metal refining technologies. Home to mostly Humes and Galka, it elects a president every few years. Specifically a Hume president. The land itself is shite. The city is overcrowded and most of the mining profits go towards food.

Windurst was founded when 5 Tarutaru tribes came together to form a federation. Post war 20 years ago the Mithra formally joined as hunters, labor, and mercenaries during the rebuilding process. Food is plenty, life is good, and magic is forefront in this nation. A majority of the army are magical constructs. You'd think a bunch of wizards would be complete poo poo to each other, but no, the Mithra and Tarutaru respect each other and things just kinda work.

The Grand Dutchy of Jueno is literally the center of the world and as such all airships pass through it. As a result it is rich and powerful and probably has a bunch of skeletons in the basement; literally and metaphorically.

Plaguing all these nations are Beastmen of various sorts. In the Middle Lands you'll find yourself a friendly Goblin every once in a while. The Orcs, Gigas, Quadav, and Yagudo can not be reasoned with nor would anyone want to.

Today I've decided to take a little walk to Selbina, casually maiming wildlife along the way. It's actually quite a trip. What's in Selbina? A ship to Mhaura, crabs, maybe work.

It nearly slipped my mind that as an adventurer I get access to a bunch of nifty resources like access to teleporting crystals in major cities and field books that allow me to zoop into the field for a small fee. Can't zoop where I haven't been yet though so I need to do some walking to gather my zoops.

While cleaving my way through the sands I find a small ruby off a leech, probably worth something, its a bloody ruby after all. I pocket it and make it to Selbina while dodging desert goblins.

Selbina

Upon entering the town a fellow by the entrance inquires if I'm an adventurer.

You see? Work! I knew it!

Looks like the mayor needs something done.

Huh he needs a specific adventurer... Specifically one by the name of Visaria. Never heard of her.

Alright you got my attention, I'll grab the bee pollen and meet with this Gilgamesh.

The best place to find bees is down closer to Bastok so I make a little detour and grab the Bastok teleports. I also take the opportunity to grab some real armor, I'm sure Gilgamesh will pay me, he has Gil in his name.

Please do not mock my subligar.

The shock is more that I got paid rather than Gilgamesh being a pirate, a pirate is just a sea thief. But also yeah how have you heard of me?

The first word out of her mouth when she woke up was my name. What a mystery we have indeed. Anyhow she's on a hunger strike until I get myself on a boat over to Norg, Gilgamesh will meet me there later. The mayor begs me not to say anything to anyone about him helping a pirate. Some kind of thief honor code or something prevents me from extorting him and besides the pirates keep the waters safe-ish.

My payment was a slip of paper, the good kind the kind where I give it to a guy by the shore and he teaches me how to have a sub job. If you don't do this then you have to collect some monster drops, 2 out of 3 aren't bad but one in a past life has left deep scars on my soul. 7 hours before the second one because of not noticing a full bag when the first one dropped and rotted.

Hey look at that Visaria can now be two jobs at a time! Better level everything to 50 real quick!

*death happens*

Righto boat to Norg!

Norg

Norg is a pirate den built in a cave. Not quite a town but it has the basics. Quite nice for what it is really. Honestly some of the nicest people in the land. I make my way to Gilgamesh's office.

As soon as the girl spots me she sprints to me calling me "Master".

Look kid I have no idea what you are talking about.

Gilgamesh is just as confused as I am. She is kind enough to explain she's from the future and hasn't been born yet. Cool. So lets go down the list of questions we all have. How? Why? From where? Why?

Her name is Iroha, she is from the Far East, the guardian of Raisenjima Sanctorium with a strong link to the heavens. The spirits set her adrift to prevent the darkness that has engulfed her era.

The young gentleman with us asks if the beastmen end up victorious in that era or if its something more nefarious.

Iroha asks my permission to show them our reality. Yeah kid, sure. Go for it.

To find me. So it spit her out here.

She hands me an orb. Follow it's guidance and it will lead unfailingly to her time. You know where she is the only one left alive.

Gilgamesh sees the problem with this and Iroha says I have the capacity to experience both a future with and without the Emptiness... and then she starts to collapse.

And then she poofs out of existence...

The young man will see if his agents can pick up any information and heads off. Gilgamesh can't make heads or tails of any of this. I just wanted to take a walk.

After a bit Gilgamesh collects all his thoughts and tells me to find his daughter Lion who ran off trying to get Windurst, Bastok, and San d'Oria to do something with the Beastmen several days ago. She's apparently the thinker between the two of them. I'll find her eventually in my bumbling around.

Still I do feel a little bad for Iroha. It's nothing I have to worry about currently but I'm kinda responsible for the kid... I think? Uggggh... What was I doing before this?

Getting on a boat to Mhaura to go to Windurst to get a teleport to go back home to work for no pay.

Voyager

I wasn't kidding when I said the pirates keep the seas safe-ish. The boat ride is dangerous, only a fool would go above deck to be assaulted by krakens and other sea horrors. I stay bellow deck, I hear them moving up there though. Some fool that also joined the ride ran up stairs during a storm, I never saw him again.

How awful.

Mhaura is oddly enough a super busy town due to Ambuscade. Monthly trial fights for very strong weapons and armor. Above my paygrade right now.

Windurst

Anyway Windurst is nice but far too large for a place full of smalls, hell even for talls. While wandering around gathering my zoops the ruby in my pocket starts jiggling as I walk by a house. Curious, I open the door and peek in.

The inhabitant is not happy to see me and starts shooing me off before noticing the ruby in my hand. I show it to him and he begins investigating it.

Seems like its a Carbuncle's ruby and it is talking to him. After what I've seen the past couple days, I'm just gonna go ahead and believe him. He tells me to close my eyes and open my heart. He tells me to let down my guard and accept everything around me.

Seek and gather... the seven colors... that cover the sky... and embrace the earth...

Ajido doesn't seem to think its a trap and doesn't sense much energy coming from the thing. He does warn me however that the voices won't always be weak ones if I repeat this trick.

Looks like I need to go look for colors for the talking rock on the way home.

Next time: Our heroine gets a job

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 6, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Starting off with time travel before we're even really started with the game, that's definitely one hell of a play.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
That doesn't look like Greg. :raise:
Also, subligars are an honored tradition.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Starting off with time travel before we're even really started with the game, that's definitely one hell of a play.

Time deserves everything we do to it.

DoubleNegative posted:

That doesn't look like Greg. :raise:
Also, subligars are an honored tradition.

I would not trust Greg with having a child. Pirate Gilgamesh has at least proven to me that he can keep one alive and away from the pile of legendary blades long enough to become an adult.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
I wore far too many of those subligar to ever mock anyone else for them. :v:

Would also put in a request to show off Blue Mage and Corsair when they become available. You already said you're doing Dark Knight, so that would be all three of my former mains covered.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Its kind of shocking that this game's plot kicks into gear with the arrival of a woman who is both from the apocalyptic future and a land so far on the other side of the world its not even on your map and she actually already knows you. Its a left field turn for sure after the first update was all relatively standard Medieval Politics Stuff. It reminds me of 1990s X-Men and how crazy they could get when something came along to interrupt their normal Mutant Civil Rights stuff. By comparison FF14's Start Of The Real Story twist that there's some sort of God War going on behind the scenes of the Normal War is relatively mundane.

I'm curious to see if the general statement that nobody would or could treat with this game's Beast Tribes is mechanical fact and they're Always Enemies like a lot of WoW's sentient races or if they'll eventually be people you can deal with as in 14.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Sanguinia posted:

Its kind of shocking that this game's plot kicks into gear with the arrival of a woman who is both from the apocalyptic future and a land so far on the other side of the world its not even on your map and she actually already knows you. Its a left field turn for sure after the first update was all relatively standard Medieval Politics Stuff. It reminds me of 1990s X-Men and how crazy they could get when something came along to interrupt their normal Mutant Civil Rights stuff. By comparison FF14's Start Of The Real Story twist that there's some sort of God War going on behind the scenes of the Normal War is relatively mundane.

I'm curious to see if the general statement that nobody would or could treat with this game's Beast Tribes is mechanical fact and they're Always Enemies like a lot of WoW's sentient races or if they'll eventually be people you can deal with as in 14.

:allears:

and also

Melomane Mallet posted:

I wore far too many of those subligar to ever mock anyone else for them. :v:

Would also put in a request to show off Blue Mage and Corsair when they become available. You already said you're doing Dark Knight, so that would be all three of my former mains covered.

Sadly the subligar doesn't stick around too long. Added Blue Mage and Corsair to the list, coincidentally they are my mains on my original character along with Pup.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Hey, it's Gilgamesh. Just a Gilgamesh instead of the Gilgamesh but a Gilgamesh nonetheless.

Man, this sentence sounds insane for people who haven't played Final Fantasy games regularly.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Pyro Jack posted:

Hey, it's Gilgamesh. Just a Gilgamesh instead of the Gilgamesh but a Gilgamesh nonetheless.

Man, this sentence sounds insane for people who haven't played Final Fantasy games regularly.

A single Gilgaman instead of one of the Gilgamany.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Thinking on it a bit this morning, Iroha seems to be a true an artifact of her time. The early 00's, when XI came out, was the golden age of the "Magical Girlfriend Appears To Change My Ordinary Life," genre in Otaku Media. It was always a strong sub-genre, but the early 00s saw the debut and dominance of some major pillars that are still remembered and influential today, like Familiar of Zero, Shakugan no Shana, A Certain Magical Index, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime, and even the ascent of Bleach to Shounen Jump's "Big Three." Anime, Manga, Light Novels and Visual Novels were all ruled over by this type of story, and I think Iroha fits the mold.

The fact that your "ordinary life" in this case is an adventurer in a fantasy world is a twist on the genre, but not an unprecedented one.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Sanguinia posted:

Thinking on it a bit this morning, Iroha seems to be a true an artifact of her time. The early 00's, when XI came out, was the golden age of the "Magical Girlfriend Appears To Change My Ordinary Life," genre in Otaku Media. It was always a strong sub-genre, but the early 00s saw the debut and dominance of some major pillars that are still remembered and influential today, like Familiar of Zero, Shakugan no Shana, A Certain Magical Index, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime, and even the ascent of Bleach to Shounen Jump's "Big Three." Anime, Manga, Light Novels and Visual Novels were all ruled over by this type of story, and I think Iroha fits the mold.

The fact that your "ordinary life" in this case is an adventurer in a fantasy world is a twist on the genre, but not an unprecedented one.

Would the story be better as I put it here or if we went straight to update 3 instead of meeting Gilgamesh? I'm curious about the answer to this after the next update.

What Final Fantasy 11 did is fairly unique and 9 updates from now I'll try and give my thoughts on it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Sanguinia posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve played XI but I’m pretty sure all of this isn’t the original quests from NA launch.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

kitten emergency posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve played XI but I’m pretty sure all of this isn’t the original quests from NA launch.

FF14 Heavensward June 23, 2015

FF11 Rhapsodies Part 1 May 14, 2015

Oh baby are we gonna have a talk about all of this some day.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Hey it's an XI SSLP!

I just want to tell you, good luck. We're all counting on you.

Fat and Useless posted:

Maybe you are just reading this for the schadenfreude.

What is it called when it's basically schadenfreude but it's also somewhat directed back at yourself? I'm sure the Germans have a snappy word for that too. I ended up re-subbing during the pandemmer and my interest waned only a few months ago. It really is incredible how much of the content can be done solo now. Good job, SE!

Fat and Useless posted:

No, Training necessary!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

You must gather your zoops before venturing forth.

Also seeing the armor reminded me of the old MacHall comic about the hunt for pants.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 3: I Can Hear A Rainbow

The beastmen thrived in the ensuing era of darkness.
But the demihuman Galka and Mithra, blessed with bodies powerful enough to resist the advances of the beastmen, grew in number as well.
They fought tooth and nail to cast the hordes from their homelands in an age of unending battle and chaos.

The Tarutaru race grew weary of the never-ending conflict, and wandered the world in search of peace.
After discovering an uncharted continent, they named the land Windurst and settled down to build a brighter future for their kin.

Several decades after the Tarutaru's long journey had come to an end, a young Tarutaru girl lost her way in one of the mysterious towers scattered across the outskirts of Windurst.
It was there that the secrets of magic were revealed to her, and this knowledge would spread to her entire race.
The Tarutaru worked as one to harness and understand the mysterious power that had been given to them.
So began the Great Age of Magic.

Stepping outside town the ruby starts to glow and float the color of the clear sky. Seems like we need to hunt down weather. Rain, thunder, wind, snow, sand storm, and heat wave. Heat wave is by far the rarest but with a little luck sitting in Selbina I find one. Finally after a bunch of globetrotting I see a thunderstorm brew in Jugner and let the gem absorb the last of its light.

The Ruby shatters and a... thing appears. It flies off behind me towards La Theine and tells me to follow. I shrug, I'm in it this far might as well see it to the end. I follow it to a nook in the hills, a circle of standing stones.

Prelude

It calls itself Carbuncle one of "several new forces" here in Vana'diel. It became a crystal and was divided into shards falling into the hands of beasts and people alike as the world changed around it.

And then I got it and it knew I needed it. Gonna be honest that strong overbearing need you felt was probably the lack of a bed talking little friend.

Carbuncle will lend me some of it's power, fight by my side, and watch over me. It does however demand a labor, to visit ancient beings that live in far away lands and places of legend.

It will extend a bridge between people of the present and the beings of ages past.

Well guess I'm a Summoner now.

I head back to San d'Oria. It feels like ages since I've been home.

Lets see if they have a job for me.

What luck, a job just for me! Head to King Ranperre's Tomb and confirm reports of grave robbers and vandals.

Easy as long as you don't go too deep into the ruins. The tomb was built as a monument to King Ranperre who extinguished the country's post golden age civil war 200 years ago. Visitors come to pay respects and often report strange shadows and disturbed graves.

As the new groundskeeper I head in. Goblins, normal. Undead, normal. Bats the size of your head, normal. Oh wait! I swat a bat down. Impaled by one of its fangs seems to be a scale from some orc armor. That is something I guess. I go to check on the king's grave itself.

I hear foot steps coming and duck behind the grave quickly.

"King Ranperre... It is I, Rochefogne. Does Your Majesty not remember me? Often in youth did I hear stories of Your Majesty's glorious reign. I longed to grow into a man like the great Dragon King."

My thief senses make me nudge a stone at the mention of a relic and he notices me.

And off they go. Well I have proof orcs were here from the bats. I guess the job is done.

Grilau confirms what I've found and is puzzled at what the orcs would want with the tomb. I'm not to speak to anyone of this.

Wasn't planning on it. No pay received. I go sleep it off.

Next day I head back to Grilau for work. She has no time for me today.

Never mind she actually really needs helping hands right now. News from the cathedral is a boy who was training to be a friar also wandered near Ghelsba and did not return. His name was Tedimout. The Royal Knights would go to the rescue, but Prince Trion is away in the north and can't give the order.

Anxiety

I place my forehead into my palm.

Prince Pieuje is in earnest deliberations over whether to send Temple Knights instead she says. "It seems his efforts are focused upon saving the child, but..."
"But no matter. We need knowledge. I want you to go to the cathedral and ask what the boy looks like."

If I had any illusion that this was a glorious nation of knights it would have been shattered completely. I head to the cathedral in disgust.

The priest asks if I'm here for the sermon on the Gates of Paradise. No, no I am not here for the sermon on the Gates of Paradise. I'm here to figure out what this missing kid of yours looks like so I can go kick down a door in an orc fortress to see if he's in there or if its just some other random kid that got grabbed and we still have a missing kid problem on our hands. Yes I could just ask his bloody name but chances are at this point I'm looking for a dead body. Goddess drat it.

"Altana bless thee! Yes, Tedimout was a friar in training."

...is a friar in training.

"Oft would he enter the woods of Ronfaure in search of wild herbs..."

The priest goes on about things I already know or are inconsequential. Honestly this couldn't get any worse.

"The horror he must be facing now... Each morning and night I pray to the Goddess of the Dawn to deliver him from their clutches! Why, Prince Pieuje! And, Papsque Shamonde!"

I will not commit regicide today... I will not commit regicide today...

I. Will. Not. Commit. Regicide. TODAY!

I'm having a bad day

I go to the orc stronghold. I kill a few orcs for a key and open the holding pens.

An ambush... I dispatch them quickly and continue searching until I find a hut.

"Wait! You are the adventurer that Pieuje sent, are you not? Bravely have you fought against the orcs. Well done!"

After taking a deep breath I acknowledge that at least this prince actually came. We open the hut.

We confirm this is the boy we are looking for and Trion brings the kid home informing the guards of my deeds. I am now an adventurer of rank 2 and get a certificate saying as much(only good in San d'Oria). I am paid 1000 gil for my efforts.

This kingdom is a farce.

Next time: The kingdom is still a farce

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 10, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Visaria A-posing for dominance in front of the prince is kinda funny.

quote:

I place my forehead into palm.

Palm on, apply directly to forehead.
(It's missing a my there.)

quote:

The horor he must be facing now...

Missing an R there.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

WARNING

These mini updates, while not spoiler filled, will break the illusion of the story! These are not mandatory reads at all! You can enjoy the rest of the LP and then come back to read these later if you'd like the curtains to stay closed.

WARNING

Miscellaneous Chapter 1: Gameplay

Vana'diel March

This seems as good a time as any to explain the actual game.

Lets start with creating a character. You have a choice of Tarutaru, Galka, Hume, Elvaan, and Mithra. Galka can only be male and Mithra can only be female. Each race has unique starting stats. Once upon a time when numbers were small picking for 3 vs 8 INT was an actual consideration. The level 74 artifact armor +1 for Black Mage has 8 INT total on the set for example. If you chose a race that matches your nation you get a level 1 ring that is a nice little boost of stats. Finally during character creation you pick your class from the starting 6.

At the start of the game you have the choice of what your nation is. Bastok, Windurst, or San d'Oria. This choice actually really matters unlike Final Fantasy 14. The story for each nation, except for certain important world plot things, are all different. This is true for the base game, the first expansion, and the fourth expansion. You could go and start in Windurst and have a completely different story from Visaria. I will go over the other story paths in another one of these side updates much much later for those who want to know about them.

There is nothing forcing you to do the story aside from some unique powerful gear from finishing an expansion and high level raids of bosses from the story. If you simply wish just go level and ignore the story you absolutely can and you can pretty much hit the peak of power without it. Certain expansions do unlock various endgame activities one might want to try though and of course you'll need to do the level uncap quests.

So when can you do expansions? The second you get in game! There are some small level requirements and usually a minimum reputation and travel through places you shouldn't be.

Iroha in our last update? That is the last second to last mini expansion of Final Fantasy 11. You do not meet Gilgamesh until the first expansion normally and it doesn't take into account your Iroha time together. Here with Iroha he gives you something as important as a Sub Job voucher which is something you'd normally have to deal with at level 20ish.

Iroha's shenanigans also gives access to large permanent experience boosts and skill gain boosts. You'll get a vendor with tons of food, ammo, keys, and potions as well. Normally all of those things are hard to come by. Yes ammo is hard to get. The quests even allow you to summon more trusts at a time and the ability to use trusts in boss fights. All the quality of life you want, just there for the taking!

So yeah you can do anything in any order. As such I do have to record some things ahead of when we get there because as soon as you walk into Jeuno you get 2 mini expansions worth of intro cutscenes and the third expansion's opening. Hell the first time you walk into Northern San d'Oria you get a cutscene for the fifth expansion!

I will talk more about how the story weaves new into old in a later update.

Combat... Think of combat as Final Fantasy 12 but without the gambits. You select a target and your auto attack starts. From a drop down list you can then cast magic, shoot your ranged weapon, use class abilities, use items, or use weapon skills. As you attack and get hit you gain TP, at 1000 TP you can use a weapon skill which is a powerful attack. TP goes up to 3000 and the weapon skill is stronger the higher the TP. Monsters also get TP, so that white mage slapping with its club is a double edged sword.

Skill is gained as you attack things, more skill in a weapon gives a better chance to hit and lets you learn new weapon skills. Magics and defensive type things like evasion also have skill.

To cast a spell you use MP. You have Elemental, Dark, Blue, Healing, Enfeebling, Enhancing, and Divine magics. Ninjitsu, Geomancy, and Summoning are also skills but that is fake magic. Magic is learned by either going to a magic shop and buying it or finding a scroll as a drop. The auction house has scrolls from both sources.

You can change Jobs any time in the mog house. To unlock anything past the first 6 you need to do one or two quests for each Job. As the Job levels it gets a few extra quests for class specific armor called Artifact(AF). Quests are never popped up on a screen for you, you need to look them up or talk to people. In modern days however we do have a tutorial like system that gives you breadcrumbs of what to do to at least start an important quest.

Roles of Jobs include: Damage, Support, Healing, and Tanking. Sometimes a Job is more than one of these. Nerds will tell you there are more roles. They are right but they are nerds. A party fits 6 people or 1 person and 5 trusts. You can use trusts with other people too, trusts all have classes and unique AIs. You have a main Job that can go up to level 99 and a Sub Job that goes up to level 49. There are ways to break this level cap further that we will get to another time. You get everything except the one hour ability of your Sub Job for its level. Your one hour ability is extremely powerful but has a one hour cooldown hence the name. It used to be two hours and some enemies can spam them. Nowadays we are cool enough to get a second different one hour on each class at high levels.

Spells, weapon skills, and abilities can be made into macros which can and should be used whenever possible unlike Final Fantasy 14. The menu is slow, macros are fast. There are 100's of spells! Take care of your brain, make a button! At the start Final Fantasy 11 is a slow game, slower than 14. At max level? I think its faster than 14 depending on the classes and buffs involved.

After using a weapon skill you can start a chain with another player or with yourself if you are fast enough, the window is only a few seconds to get another 1000 TP. If someone(or yourself) chains a weapon skill it does a little extra damage and extends the chain depending on the type of weapon skill used. Once the second weapon skill has been used and the proper chain starts you can magic burst the specific element(depends on what weapon skills were used) of the chain for massive magic damage.

Easy right? Nowadays we have helpful THIRD PARTY TOOLS to help us with this! Back in the day you had only macros to call it out and try to time it.

I think that sums up basic gameplay? Kill crabs, get xp, level. Sometimes maybe do a quest.

Gear and the end game will be its own post... I'm not ready to try and explain it. I can say this for now, 11 and 14 are two wildly different games.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 27, 2023

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

I can say this for now, 11 and 14 are two wildly different games.

Oh boy howdy are they ever.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

WARNING

These mini updates, while not spoiler filled, will break the illusion of the story! These are not mandatory reads at all! You can enjoy the rest of the LP and then come back to read these later if you'd like the curtains to stay closed.

I'll say that I'm very interested in the mechanics.

One thought, though, could we get a few more looks at the areas we're in in the main updates?

Also are half of these even real words? What the gently caress are "Induration" and "Scission"?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

One thought, though, could we get a few more looks at the areas we're in in the main updates?

As long as astral doesn't start pointing an uzi at me I will fill this stupid thread with as many shots of the landscape as you all want. Mostly starting next expansion when you start seeing more land that isn't just copy paste snow, wasteland, grassland, forest, cave. Especially in these early updates before we smash into plot I'm trying to just get wheels moving. What I can do for now is each time I hit a new area I'll take a couple shots of the area that kinda look unique? The cities I can at least take some good pictures in.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

PurpleXVI posted:

Also are half of these even real words? What the gently caress are "Induration" and "Scission"?

Scission /ˈsɪʃn/ noun The action or state of cutting or being cut.
Induration /ɪndʊˈreɪʃən/ noun The act of hardening

I blame Koji?

I haven't played since mid 2004 but back in my day we didn't have these fancy-schmancy third party tools. We printed out -- printing being necessary because FF11 prevented alt tab unless you ran Windower -- this skill chain chart

then found some chain that made sense for our current party and level and then timed our weapon skills and spells manually, like God intended.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

As long as astral doesn't start pointing an uzi at me I will fill this stupid thread with as many shots of the landscape as you all want. Mostly starting next expansion when you start seeing more land that isn't just copy paste snow, wasteland, grassland, forest, cave. Especially in these early updates before we smash into plot I'm trying to just get wheels moving. What I can do for now is each time I hit a new area I'll take a couple shots of the area that kinda look unique? The cities I can at least take some good pictures in.

I mean, judging by the damage I've done to my LP threads, which usually involve something in excess of 500 or 600 images at ~100kb each(roughly 900x500 resolution, since there seems to be a general agreement you want 900 pixels wide for your screenshots), not counting the various character heads and occasional 2mb .gifs, it takes a decent bit to make Astral cry. :v:

It took me a while to remember, but now I finally recall what all these extra elements reminded me of: The goddamn Warframe damage types, where you mix the basic elements to get stuff like magnets and radiation for hitting people, robots and robot people with.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

No, the warframe thing is infinitely simpler, it's a straightforward (!!!) 00s RTS damage type / armor type interactions. This is, if I get it right, a multiplayer rhythm game flowchart?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

One day I will have to explain Blue Mage. Blue Mage has it's own skill chain chart.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

One day I will have to explain Blue Mage. Blue Mage has it's own skill chain chart.

Blue Mage has like five separate charts and an excel spreadsheet, and that's why it was my absolute favourite job in this entire game. Maybe even series.

And then XIV butchered it.

I wonder if this thread will turn into an impromptu group therapy session like every gathering of XI players inevitably does. :allears:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

SIGSEGV posted:

No, the warframe thing is infinitely simpler, it's a straightforward (!!!) 00s RTS damage type / armor type interactions. This is, if I get it right, a multiplayer rhythm game flowchart?

A very slow rhythm game, since getting to 1000 TP for a weapon skill takes (used to take?) around a minute of auto attacks. Also the windows for chaining weapon skills and getting magic bursts are maybe 3s long? Very unsure on the exact timings, it's been forever.

A probable* sequence of events, ca 2003:
T = -30s: Monk says "Pulling Crab" in party chat.
T = -10s: Crab arrives at camp. Warrior Provokes it.
T = -3.5s: Black Mage swaps into Wind Damage gear and starts casting Tornado, an 8.5s cast Wind spell.
T = 0s: Monk uses Howling Fist.
T = 3s: Samurai uses Tachi: Yukikaze, causing an L1 Detonation Skill Chain.
T = 5s: Tornado hits, causing a Wind Magic Burst. Black Mage swaps into Earth Damage gear and starts casting Stonega II, a 4s cast Earth spell.
T = 7s: Dragoon uses Penta Thrust, causing an L2 Gravitation Skill Chain
T = 9s: Stonega II hits, causing an Earth Magic Burst. Black Mage gets aggro and is turned into mashed potato.

All that used to be coordinated in text, since party member TP wasn't actually displayed anywhere in the UI. Melee would have a couple different macros that wrote things like "TP: p%", "TP: p%! Weapon Skill Ready!", etc in party chat that they'd then spam to communicate their status. Once everyone had spammed text indicating that enough relevant weapon skills were up then whoever had to act first would use their chat macros to try to coordinate the actual chain on the next sufficiently significant crab, and hopefully everyone hit their marks well enough for the explosions to happen.

It's a pretty quaint system by today's standards, but it was a pretty big step up in gameplay from Everquest as far as cooperative MUD-style mob grinding goes. I guess aspects have changed a little over the last 20 years if doing your own skill chains is a thing many jobs do frequently, and not just something a Samurai maybe does once an hour.

* E: Well, probably a 2003 party would have done a completely different sequence of weapon skills and also hit whatever element crabs were weak to. Lightning? You should probably listen to the young, hip weirdos who still play the anime crab smashing game, instead of the old, washed-up weirdo who once did back in the misty depths of time.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 25, 2023

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Blue Mage has like five separate charts and an excel spreadsheet, and that's why it was my absolute favourite job in this entire game. Maybe even series.

I wonder if this thread will turn into an impromptu group therapy session like every gathering of XI players inevitably does. :allears:

It took me 5 hours last night to screenshot headstone pilgrimage with modern day quality of life. There will be plenty of therapy opportunities.

Xerophyte posted:

A very slow rhythm game, since getting to 1000 TP for a weapon skill takes (used to take?) around a minute of auto attacks. Also the windows for chaining weapon skills and getting magic bursts are maybe 3s long? Very unsure on the exact timings, it's been forever.

Today with proper gear you can hit 1000 TP in 2 auto rounds. My Blue Mage averages around 3 seconds for 1000 TP and I know my Corsair in melee is even faster(Gun shots do 1200 TP but come out slower). Even with that TP gain self skill chains are hard to get in because the window is so small.

So how is this possible? Haste cap, Triple attack/shot, TP restored after using TP passives, TP gain on hit multiplier passives. Some jobs can even Quadruple Attack for 8 hits in one auto attack if dual wielding(at like a 1-3% chance).

If you add in just one other human you are constantly pinging off each other. Trusts depending on their AI can set you up, close a skill chain, burst one, or just spam their TP skills at 1000 TP ruining your chain.

One day I promise Visaria will reach these heights and there will probably be video of it.

Anyway good post about the hill that was climbed both ways in the snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

:hai: