Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Where do you save your personal files
This poll is closed.
Rawdogging my home directory 12 8.39%
Documents/ 12 8.39%
dropbox 6 4.20%
icloud 9 6.29%
onedrive 6 4.20%
s3 bucket 5 3.50%
email to myself 9 6.29%
yeeted via rsync to an old optiplex in the basement 6 4.20%
sd card 6 4.20%
printed out 10 6.99%
github 7 4.90%
a backup on the vm itself 6 4.20%
rapidshare 4 2.80%
google drive 8 5.59%
box 4 2.80%
egnyte 3 2.10%
sharefile 4 2.80%
spideroak 3 2.10%
megaupload 6 4.20%
printed out 11 7.69%
uploaded to web server to send link to rms's demon to email it to him 6 4.20%
Total: 31 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

sprawling mess of subdirs on drive D:/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the backup service you use just randomly not existing one day is more likely that your house burning down

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Oysters Autobio posted:

resurrecting to quote this because im seriously at a loss and too embarassed to ask anyone how to actually organize my file drive docs or actually get windows search to be able to search my docs.

like, what do the meganerds do here? I have this sprawling multi folder garbage that im tempted just to consolidate into one folder, but even with the fairly lovely folder structure it at least gives some sort of searchability for my docs.

the trick is to organise it as you go and build it in a way that makes sense to you. don't just throw things into a folder on the desktop and then drag it to D:\ when you move onto something else.

it's fine for it to be huge and sprawling as long as it's all sensibly named and obvious where things go. don't end up with D:\Stuff\Old\New Folder (2)\Backup - Copy\2009\Photos 2015\New Folder\

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

also don't be a hoarder. it's perfectly fine to delete car insurance documents from 2009

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

print them. print them yourself if you have to.

some years ago my uncle decided to scan 100+ years of photos, save them to the cheapest CD-Rs he could find in the supermarket, and then throw the originals away because two shoeboxes of photos "took up too much space" in the giant house he lives alone in.

luckily i made a copy of them after he was done, because he immediately lost half the CDs and the other half are already giving read errors.