Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

my cat shits on the floor directly next to the box if there is too little or too much poop in her box, it is a balancing act of street kitten from the hood preferences. After the first poo poo on the floor she starts going in the box again?

she's still gotta get spayed and hasn't had her first heat yet, so hopefully some of her weirder poo poo chills out a bit

I am a dog person but I like this cat a lot, first one ever tbqh

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Make sure the vet runs an FIV test before getting her fixed. Also stay on top of her teeth. Street cats tend to be more prone to dental diseases because their genetics are often a mess.

yeah idk what she is and we wanna get a genetic test, but she presents as a near-breed-perfect Bombay with a white spot on her belly. Gonna get an FIV test before she gets spayed for sure, it's coming up pretty soon. She was a real tiny kitten when we pulled her in from the bush outside our gate, and my brother has a guitar teacher in our neighborhood and he said there were a million kittens that look exactly like her that just appeared about 2 weeks before we found her. I live in a very, very, very hood part of town full of irresponsible pet owners and breeders, so who knows.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I had a bombay-ish as my first cat. He was pretty chill. All black, yellow eyes, fat as the day is long, but not very people friendly. Miss that tub of lard.

Good on ya for grabbing a street cat. They need homes, too.

she's super friendly, super skinny, super long and super tiny, we're guessing because of the bad start + she's probably a runt cuz her sibling that wanted nothing to do with us was also a small kitten but twice her size.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Mine was a few years old when I (well, me and the exwife) got him. The shelter couldn't tell us how old besides "somewhere between 2 and 8, probably." He went from 12lbs to 20lbs in about 3 years because he was so lazy and only ate dry food. He did not like wet food for some reason.

the vet estimated her at 16 weeks when we got her first round of shots at the beginning of November; by the time her third round came up at the end of December she spat out a tooth on my desk the day before, then the vet said "welp she's got all her adult teeth so we were off by... some weeks."

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Treecko posted:

Sounds like you need a different vet tbh

tbf those were shot clinics, we don't have an actual vet because there are no vets taking new animals here, period, and haven't been for 2 years unless you totally luck out randomly.

Probably gotta go to loving Moriarty or something to get a vet and lol driving an hour and a half into the mountains.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 27, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Hoochy koochy kitten catnip is a pretty good deal, btw. $10 for a half pound bag on amazon. It's fine cut, so he's not making GBS threads out twigs the next morning.

my buddies wife grows catnip and we got a hook on as much as we want this year :coal:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Treecko posted:

Maybe get a pet fountain. Cats get most of thier hydration from prey.

Sekhmet all about her saguaro water fountain

DicktheCat posted:

You can actually do this, but it's a very long and horrible process. It's best if you have 2 bathrooms to start, one just dedicated to the cat.

The way it goes is that you get a pan or bowl of some sort that will sit in your toilet bowl, fill out with litter at first and slowly introduce your cat to the idea of hopping up on the toilet to use it.

There's a whole big process of teaching it to stand on the seat, etc. And it's not gonna be accurate 100% of the time.

Afterwards, though, just leave the lid open and cat will use the potty. You still have to flush it, I've never heard of a cat that can flush.

I sincerely considered teaching my kitten this as a youth, but uh. Nah. The process is insane people things.

Water treatment plants can't treat toxo don't let your cats poo poo in the toilet or flush cat poo poo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I didn't expect this thread to go on as long as it did.

I also didn't think it would generate a meltdown from BBC, so apparently I'm just clueless about a lot of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

it's too bad toxic mental is on probation, he could rail about how dogs eating poo poo is a moral failure of the owner some more after seeing this post