Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Few years ago I had a saddle pulmonary embolism. Didn't know that going into the ER though, just that it hurt to breathe and I could barely walk without passing out.

To fix me, they put these sheaths into one of my femoral arteries and another through some vein in my leg and then snaked stents through the sheaths up towards my lungs. They put the stents right near the pulmonary arteries, and the stents released a medicine that broke up the clot. I felt 100% better when I woke up.

Of course, the nurse hosed up taking out the sheaths and I bled uncontrollably for I don't know how long. It was 2 AM, and I was hosed on dilaudid. Since I was now on anticoagulants, the bleeding took forever to stop, and by the time it was done, my scrotum was swollen to size of a softball, rock hard, and it was excruciating. It was at least a month till it was back to normal.

I digress. Anyway, they did a scan of my big body and discovered that, holy poo poo, my legs are full of clots. Found out later I have a genetic predisposition for blood clots. So they wheel me back into the OR and through a completely different artery, by my neck, the put in a filter in my inferior vena cava to catch any other clots that might kill me. A year later they took it out. I asked if I could have it, they said sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU