Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Reasons to stretch:
-- feels good
-- Prevents injury
-- Flexible
-- Looks good
-- Not So Stiff

1. Touch toes stretch:
2. butterfly Strech:
3. childs pose Stretch
4.thread the needle pose stretch

would love to learn about some of your favorite stretches. Thahnks! and good morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

goatse

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

doing these stretches is important if you engage in perilous white collar work

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
i like good mornings which I think still mostly count for a stretch

also a big fan of ulnar nerve flossing (this one especially for white collar work/gaming)

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Sun Salutations are my thing for sure

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i think the buzzfeed ai mislabeled this one under politics

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If you have sciatica, touching your toes (or the alternative of doing it while seated) doesn't really work and can just make the sciatic nerve increasingly inflamed

Fortunately a good alternative for stretching your hamstrings is this (timestamp just at a point where the actual stretch is being shown) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0fl5Xi5c9o&t=164s

edit: I've also been trying to stretch my calf since I have extremely hosed dorsiflexion (actually negative dorsiflexion, because I can't stand with my heels on the ground without overpronating my feet - if I put my full weight on my feet while preventing them from overpronating, my heels hover about an inch off the ground). Most of the normal exercises for this don't work, because they're dependent on being able to start from a position where your feet are fully touching the ground (or are body weight things that cause my ankle/foot to overpronate, which makes the stretch not actually hit my calf).

I figured out something that sort of works. I have to sorta put my weight on the outside of one foot, while ensuring that my foot is aligned correctly and isn't overpronating. I can then lean forward and feel a stretch. It's a bit finnicky and I usually have to spend a couple minutes figuring out the correct angle to get it to work.

I don't think I'll ever actually be able to achieve normal dorsiflexion, because I would have to magically add like 2-3 inches to my calves/achilles tendons, but hopefully things at least improve a little from doing this regularly. It's been a couple months now and I don't really notice any difference, but hopefully it helps at some point.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Jan 30, 2023

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Happy baby is probably my favorite stretch

Great for your back and legs, very nice if you've been powerlifting or running

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
ah, the taint sunner

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

You can stretch your rear end in a top hat and legs at the same time!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

<reserved>

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
stretching is a very boring activity. not a fan

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
rigidcels be like

webcams for christ posted:

stretching is a very boring activity. not a fan

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
The usual narratives surrounding the validation of stretching are as follows:

1. Clinically: helps with contractures
  2. Make “tight” muscles “loose”
  3. Decrease delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS)
  4. Increase overall range of motion
  5. Improve performance
  6. Decrease injury risk

The overall cost for stretching is be time, effort, and potentially money if you're paying a clinician/coach to complete the intervention passively. Beginning with contractures allows us to consider complicated medical situations in which ROM is likely clinically reduced and stretching may appear warranted.

1. Contracture is a shortening and stiffening of muscles that limits joint range of motion, and typically occurs in patients after stroke, brain/spinal cord injury, cerebral palsy, and in other neurological conditions. They can also occur in certain non-neurological musculoskeletal issues such as rheumatoid arthritis, burns, and post-op situations.

The latest Cochrane review on the topic doesn’t show much supporting evidence for the use of stretching to prevent or treat contractures:

quote:

“There was high‐quality evidence that stretch did not have clinically important effects on joint mobility in people with or without neurological conditions if performed for less than seven months.”

2. Regarding “tight” muscles and range of motion: stretching is consistently demonstrated to alter perception (i.e., “feeling tight”) or tolerance to a position, but not actually altering tissue structure in a meaningful way. The most recent review by Freitas, Can chronic stretching change the muscle-tendon mechanical properties? A review, found:

quote:

“Stretching interventions with 3- to 8-week duration do not seem to change either the muscle or the tendon properties, although it increases the extensibility and tolerance to a greater tensile force. Adaptations to chronic stretching protocols shorter than 8 weeks seem to mostly occur at a sensory level.”

3. DOMS is interesting and warrants its own future article to sufficiently discuss the nuanced aspects of the topic. With that said, DOMS can be objectively measured (though the validity of these measures is worthy of discussion) but is a subjective experience similar to pain perception. DOMS is something we may perceive post-exercise, and we can alter perception with all sorts of implements. The question becomes: how do we maximize our time with greatest return on investment for improving performance at specific tasks? Over the long term, if an athlete is continuously experiencing DOMS, then we should be assessing relevant performance and recovery variables with research support: training loads & programming variables, sleep, and nutrition. However, competitive athletic events pose scenarios where many are seeking short term gains (feeling of decreased DOMS and improved recovery and fatigue levels). This is a discussion for a later time, but the research on stretching isn’t supportive for improving DOMS.

More to the point; even if you may feel like stretching alters DOMS – the evidence shows otherwise. According to a Cochrane review, Stretching to prevent or reduce muscle soreness after exercise:

quote:

“The evidence from randomised studies suggests that muscle stretching, whether conducted before, after, or before and after exercise, does not produce clinically important reductions in delayed‐onset muscle soreness in healthy adults.”

4. Improved Performance. A recent review by Peck covers this topic well. “Performance” is a broad term and needs to be qualified to examine relevant research. Peck classifies sport performance into 3 categories:
  1. Strength and Power Dominant: “brief and maximal effort” activities (countermovement jump for max height or 1RM in resistance training)
  2. Speed and Agility Dominant: “cyclical, short-duration, fast muscular contraction events” (100 m sprint or less and/or repeated, quick, and multidirectional movements).
  3. Endurance Dominant: “cyclical, longer-duration” activities (running for 200 m or longer, cycling, or submax muscular endurance repetitions for resistance exercises).

For static stretching the following conclusions were drawn from the evidence:
  1. Strength and Power: Performing static stretching by itself immediately before strength and power activities diminishes performance. If static stretching is performed with sufficient time prior to activity (articles proposes 15 minutes) or is subsequently combined with other types of warm-up, then no effect occurs on strength and power activities. Basically, either no effect or detrimental effect … leading to the conclusion that it is not worth our investment.
  2. Speed and Agility – When performed prior to speed and agility activity, static stretching is detrimental to performance. Similarly with strength and power, if a dynamic stretch or general warm-up is completed after static stretching then the detrimental effect may be reversed, but this does not imply an improvement in performance but rather a return to baseline (zero). Peck does go on to say that static stretching may affect speed and agility performance differently based on baseline characteristics of the athlete’s level of flexibility.
  3. Endurance: Based on the current available literature, Peck states,

quote:

“It is unclear whether static stretching impairs either longer-duration (200 m or greater) cyclic activity or submaximal muscular endurance, but it is notable that no study shows a performance benefit from static stretching performed prior to these activities.”
Which means, either no benefit or potentially negative effect.

5. Now, on to effects of dynamic stretching. To reiterate, dynamic stretching appears to be a misnomer because it describes active unloaded movement, rather than holding a particular position at end range statically. For argument’s sake, dynamic stretching will be discussed as unloaded movement for the remainder of this article. With that said, there does appear to be some nuance to the discussion of unloaded movement prior to sport performance.
  1. Strength and Power: Improves performance for strength and power dominant activities, but we aren’t sure how it stacks up to just doing lower intensity externally loaded movements or combination of both unloaded and loaded movements. Peck concludes: [quote]“It appears from the preponderance of evidence that dynamic stretching improves strength and power performance when performed immediately prior to the event. Whether a combination of dynamic stretching and heavy-load exercises prior to an activity such as the countermovement jump further improves performance is unclear.”[/list]
  2. Speed and Agility: Yes, unloaded movements do appear to be beneficial prior to the performance of speed and agility movements. Which, of course, are also typically unloaded movements. Peck cautions, “However, excessive volume may induce fatigue and affect speed and agility performance adversely.” In other words, don’t drain the energy account too quickly, or you might find yourself in the red and owing an NSF.
  3. Endurance: Not enough evidence either way. Probably best to not make bets when we have no evidence for defining our risk.

Regarding PNF, we need more evidence, but it’s not looking good – particularly for strength and power activities.

6. Decreased Injury Risk

A 2014 study by Lauersen et al, “The effectiveness of exercise interventions to prevent sports injuries: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials,” found:

“Stretching did not show any protective effect (RR=0.961 (0.836–1.106)), while strength training proved highly significant (RR 0.315 (0.207–0.480)).”

The moral of the investment story here: stretching offers little to no benefit in relation to our required investment of time, effort, and potentially money.

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Jan 30, 2023

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Stretch!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
what the

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

they have played us for absolute fools

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
gotta be on the lookout for Big Stretch

appropriately specific warmups + physical activity > stretching (boring)

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Skips over #4. Stretching is fun because you get all bendy and it alleviates stiffness :)

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
alls i knows is I couldnt touch my toes before I started stretching lots after workout and now i can. explain this Mr Gillette

you go for a run and dont stretch after = all your leg muscles hurt and you walk like a cowboy for at least a day
you go for a run and do stretch after = you can do a slam dunk on a regulation net right away

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
#goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj2yfvQGbl8

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

no its not stfu

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

didnt read

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

no its not stfu

fool. idiot.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wow, there's a goon for every kind of strongly held dumb opinion

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhYwEr4BgRE

Here is a stretch for your popliteal muscle. You probably haven’t heard of it. Neither had I before 6 months ago, when I became extremely aware of it at all waking hours.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

cat botherer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhYwEr4BgRE

Here is a stretch for your popliteal muscle. You probably haven’t heard of it. Neither had I before 6 months ago, when I became extremely aware of it at all waking hours.

love these. also love when one very specific kind of pain pops up but it can be fixed.

if you ever get weird outside of wrist/pinky pain or tingling you gotta floss that nerve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85QKyWvrbI

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
big pharma doesn't want you to know about these secret stretches!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KEcnKzpOmE

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

popping my pussy anddoing goatse pose to stay limber for the revolution

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bump

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

big pharma doesn't want you to know about these secret stretches!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KEcnKzpOmE

if she doesn't have breast cancer you can't say it didn't work

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
loose muscles, loose morals

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bump

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
stretching is good, folks

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like the stretch where you lay down then flip your hips to either side stretching your torso rotator. Feeling that good back crack gets me ready for the day.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bmp

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
light foam rolling+joint mobilization then warm-up pre-workout. Static stretch and maybe more intense foam+ball rolling post-workout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
this thread's a stretch i tell ya what