Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Seething hatred towards my upstairs neighbor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
AC or other large fan

Something like bobs burgers or Futurama on the TV that I've seen 50 times before

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

dog snores

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The farts of my spouse

Also the rain sleep sounds on Google or Alexa or whatever

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I used to put the Turner Classic Movies channel on but turn the volume really low, just loud enough so I could hear the music and the cadence of the voices but not actually make out the words.

now I just use a fan, or if I'm traveling a white noise app

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbKhfX4h6bg

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
The great british bake off and other similar food related shows. Also Terrace House. The blandness and being in a language I don't understand gives me just enough background noise without actually grabbing my attention.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i fall asleep to the morrowind soundtrack and my alarm clock is sudden crashing thunder at an unsafe volume

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
My toddler falls asleep to this nearly every night
Sometimes my wife and I fall asleep too and we all sleep on the couch and everytbody has a bad night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXWckTAw3JY

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i like to put some christopher jaros NABRA-SYNC NATURAL BRAINWAVE SYNCHRONIZATION on the sleepphones. rain 1 - 7 till the sun comes up baby hell yeah.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

If my wife and I are both having trouble falling asleep, I'll play this track from the Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze soundtrack

If it's just me, I'll put on some comfy headphones and play either Out of Time or Far From Home by Hugo Kant

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
just looking at a kindle while sitting in bed makes me doze off in a few minutes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mozi posted:

just looking at a kindle while sitting in bed makes me doze off in a few minutes

Oh wow you can review your post history on kindle?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5a0W0UqIPk

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This thread is pretty apt because I've been looking for audiobooks to fall asleep to. I have like 9 credits on Audible that are going to expire so I've been picking some stuff up.

I always have a fan on when I'm going to bed. I'll watch RLM or Townsends or other historical cooking when I'm starting to wind down. I've been using Insight Timer for a long time and have a few meditations that I listen to when I actually close my eyes. That or light thunderstorm sounds. I got the first Harry Potter audiobook so the past few nights I was listening to that. I set a 30 minute timer and extend it if needed. It's Harry Potter and I've seen the movies so I know most of the story and don't really care if I miss some of the book.

I have to strike a balance of keeping my mind occupied so I don't go off thought tangents, but not so occupied that I get too engrossed in what I'm listening too.

Barring that... ambien, but it only works maybe 50% of the time.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 2, 2023

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I put a bucket on my head and pretend i'm a torpedo resting in a tube. Soon i'll be launched at a ship. I will make a big hole in the hull and inside there are dreams

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I usually put it on a random playlist of oneyplays or RLM but by the time I wake up in the morning it’s somehow on videos proving the earth is 6000 years old or some other weird, disagreeable poo poo.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh wow you can review your post history on kindle?

what the...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I usually put it on a random playlist of oneyplays or RLM but by the time I wake up in the morning it’s somehow on videos proving the earth is 6000 years old or some other weird, disagreeable poo poo.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLgms78JVo0

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Snowy posted:

Sleep With Me

it’s a podcast made by a wizard who understands how my brain works while drifting off into sleep. It’s not one of those gentle voiced storytelling podcasts, it’s something much better. He drifts off into ideas just how dreams form out of conscious thoughts. It’s an acquired taste but worth checking out. I’ll keep subscribing to the patreon for the rest of my life if he keeps making them.

King Kambrook posted:

I love the "Sleep With Me" podcast where the creator tells long, rambling stories. I often don't make it through the lengthy introduction sequence. Some of the earlier episodes have off-putting clickbaity/content farm-esque titles, but it's worth looking past that if you're looking for something boring to help you sleep. He has various original series where he'll have recurring characters or badly summarise TV shows and edit them to be more boring (e.g. Game of Drones). I'm also fond of when he does a different voice to be his theme-park recounting neighbour Ray for "guest" episodes.

Thirding that Sleep With Me owns. Podcasts that are like, intentionally trying to be soothing and telling you how to breathe or the like are annoying. This reminds me of being in a pleasant but slightly boring class with a teacher droning on about nothing where you just can't keep your eyes open.

I also use a phone app called Endel that has a few pretty good procedurally generated endless sleep modes.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

I heard oneyplays is a nazi anyway

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

my comfort videos are any 30 year old guy or girl (especially if they speak with an accent) talking about some decade+ old video game they love for over 45min.

this channel called AesirAesthetics has a vast library of 2-6hr long retrospective/in-depth analysis of games and as soon as i put them on my bedside ipad i go right out. his inspiration is obviously matthewmatosis for those familiar and this man has gotten me so many restful night's sleep i should be paying him. i'm currently on day 6 of his 4.75hr silent hill 2 analysis and i haven't made it past the first hour yet. it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMNwClWqexA

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 2, 2023

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Take your pick.

This one is on a different channel, but it's also good, and it's usually my go-to.

If I want a little music mixed in, I go with something like this.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i joke with people that the videos i choose for my 'bedtime' playlist on youtube all have to fall on this scientific nerd sleepy gradient scale i concocted in my head.

on one side is the video being TOO BORING, which will frustrate/annoy me and keep me up.

the other side is TOO INTERESTING which will draw me in and keep me up.

the perfect bedtime video has to fall right in the center of this, where i can keep my attention on it just enough to get tired, but also will allow my mind to wander and also not give a gently caress if i fall asleep to it and miss stuff. I like the vids to be over 45min minimum. i know how nerdy this is, but it's worked for me for many years at this point. highly recommend giving a shot if this makes any sense to you at all.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Mozi posted:

Have you tried it with a picture of a kindle?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I always have a fan running so that takes care of the white noise. Then I listen to a fiction podcast until I feel myself starting to drift off, put my headphones away and go to sleep.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I heard oneyplays is a nazi anyway

I have proof, in a BOOK, that the earth is 6,000 years old.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

beep by grandpa posted:

i joke with people that the videos i choose for my 'bedtime' playlist on youtube all have to fall on this scientific nerd sleepy gradient scale i concocted in my head.

on one side is the video being TOO BORING, which will frustrate/annoy me and keep me up.

the other side is TOO INTERESTING which will draw me in and keep me up.

the perfect bedtime video has to fall right in the center of this, where i can keep my attention on it just enough to get tired, but also will allow my mind to wander and also not give a gently caress if i fall asleep to it and miss stuff. I like the vids to be over 45min minimum. i know how nerdy this is, but it's worked for me for many years at this point. highly recommend giving a shot if this makes any sense to you at all.

:same:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have to strike a balance of keeping my mind occupied so I don't go off thought tangents, but not so occupied that I get too engrossed in what I'm listening too.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
speedrun documentaries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmJ_LT8bUj0

so good for weed naps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

itry posted:

Have you tried it with a picture of a kindle?

pretty sure that would work just as well tbh