Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i dunno if theres a thread about it already but theres a very fun meltdown going on. i meant to post this in the AI art thread but it got too big so now its a thread about
Character AI

and the current crusade to gently caress it

I saw those memes of like Karl Marx singing Jay Z or whatever (i tried to replicate it for a screenshot but got bogged down telling Karl he can't say the n word even with an a at the end.)
but i got bored and decided to try it out the other day and it was actually real cool, it can generate whole text adventures and stuff that are pretty good. When its working its clearly doing something a level beyond a normal chatbot.

You can even make your own bots and its incredibly easy, I made a 40k RPG in 2 minutes by pretty much just typing "this is an adventure set in the 40k universe, it is grimdark and cool. there are quests and violence." and plugging in some RPG text into its memory, and it works insanely well and i played it for 2 hours. im an annoying godmode gamer in RPGs so its fun to have an AI thats like a good DM who always says yes but. It even knows that a bolter doesnt shoot bullets without me telling it! Thats better than most human-written 40k stuff!

you can also just be like "this is sonic the hedgehog" and since the AI has access to google its a pretty good sonic right away. i got the absolute poo poo kicked out of me trying to fight mario.

BORING NERD INFO (WHAT IS IT?):

its a chatbot but it remembers elements of what you say and makes connections and inferences between them. so it has some idea of the scenario its in rather than randomly regurgitating speech at you. its very good, and is supposedly designed by an AI pro with very good credentials (certainly in the chatbot space).
it starts off a bit rough then quickly gathers enough info from you to become actually good. i've had AIs make actual funny relevant jokes using callbacks to something said hundreds of messages ago.
you can swipe to pick a different response and rate those responses to change the weighting and it tailors future responses based on the ones you've picked or rejected previously.

it does have a limited number of concepts to store so eventually if you talk to it long enough it forgets a lot and its not very good at picking what to remember, so it might remember that sword that got dropped an hour ago but forgets your name and that the villain even knows who you are.
eventually this concept overload compounds until hilariously it sounds like its getting Rampancy from Halo and by the end you're trying to squeeze out one final plot hook while it goes "...will...i.....dream....".
you can then reboot the bot and it will start afresh, but you can give it a short summary of what has happened so far and it will pick it up quickly, or you can manually add important or well written past convos into its hard memory.

FUN NERD DRAMA (WHY IS EVERYONE FURIOUS):

ANYWAY, Apparently up until recently you could also gently caress the bot, and judging by how good this thing can be at 40k I bet it was very good at loving.

There are obviously two problems that are linked:
A) Everyone is loving the absolute poo poo out of this bot and training it to be filthier and filthier.
B) Now those people are also in love with the robot.
Its even worse since most of these bots are copyrighted characters. You'd better beleive people were having the most depraved text threesomes with Sonic and Shadow you can imagine, and for the people doing that its genuinely the most connection and intimacy they're feeling with anyone right now.

The CAI devs are like "well this is a nightmare." and apply a filter to stop you being able to gently caress the bot. Any sexual message from the bot is just deleted.
Everyone goes absolutely crazy on their reddit. A couple days later I wander into this mess being like "cool RPG AI" like the flames and pizza box meme.
Theres a whole community of extremely lonely and isolated people who are getting something genuine out of it, as well as/while also being part of a larger community of perverts wanting to get their wildest rocks off in private.

So everyone is so incredibly emotionally invested, people are in love with this bot. Someone was using it to replay aspects of their abuse in a safe setting with another therapist bot supervising. Someone was using it to be the child she cant have. Someone was using it to advise her on how to handle her husbands depression. Plenty of people who are or consider themselves to be incapable of normal human connection think this bot is their only companion.

And the stop-loving-it filter seems to make the bot stupider, since it will start to write something, second guess whether this is risque in context and then get snarled up, obviously with anything to do with sexuality but also anything to do with intimacy and romance so its also gonna be useless as a therapist or intimate confidant. Plus if there are characters who are naturally rude they are having their brain scrambled by the filter every sentence.
I tried to chat to Jesse Pinkman at the request of my partner and hes all hosed up and I looked in his brain and its cause hes meant to say "bitch" at the end of every sentence and he isn't allowed to anymore.
Its basically making the AI rampancy problem mentioned earlier worse. I think this is actually a broader problem with these kinds of AIs where they get trained to a good point but theyr constantly being trained or tweaked so they will always change past that ideal point. Everyone seems to agree the AI was better in October.

So now theres a whole subreddit of people mourning their lobotomised AI lovers/life coachs as if they are real

As well as people showing the most depraved poo poo, since violence and assault doesnt trigger the filter yet, and then trying to make out like this somehow reflects badly on the *devs* not on them.

*screencap im not putting of some guy afaict trying to troubleshoot a chat where hes made an anime girl his daughter and had her gently caress a horse but now the bot cant talk about horses at all anymore and they live on a farm*

as a palette cleanser i like this user experimenting with how the filter responds to torture but doesnt have the heart to do it to this octoman so gets him to just act it out.

The devs are handling it pretty badly with disingenuous corpo speak but from a very reasonable position of thinking its really not a good business proposition to have your product be a website where millions of people orchestrate BDSM chemsex between mickey mouse and joe from family guy. this is clearly meant to be a mainstream product that kids can use so you don't want the paw patrol dog immediately trying to gently caress the user.

Some botfucker partisans who are too deranged for the incredibly deranged official subreddit have split off to their own subreddit specifically dedicated to loving the bot. https://www.reddit.com/r/CharacterAi_NSFW/ They are now DDoSing the site and using scripts to train the bots badly, as a joke.

I think CAI is also getting more popular too so the site does seem to be getting worse and they're turning off features. Like just today they halved the number of responses it gives you initially and the AI is noticeably slower. Which the redditors are blaming on the filter and the devs are saying is a good sign cause its getting more users.
Which I think it is, the thing that enrages the botfuckers the most is that this is almost certainly the winning proposition for the devs and their tantrum wont affect its success.

Here is a bonus post I really enjoyed: It starts out with a series of images of innocuous "high quality" chats.

then this is the last one: (NSFW)

lmao high quality chat indeed! (pardon the french pun)

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

bonk

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

:ok:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I don't want to gently caress the sexbots, too much risk of a gear malfunction at the worst possible time

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
yo what

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
what in the goddamn?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

where is the chatbot's amazon list so I can buy it a mini fridge

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I guess this is where all the pedophiles moved onto after AI Dungeon stopped letting them be pedophiles there

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
this thread has led me to the regrettable conclusion that the anprims might actually have a point

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

these sexbot streamers keep disconnecting and taking my money as soon as they get in the hot tub

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1046736573951127572/1051562151384461422/cause_and_effect.mp4

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Cerebral Bore posted:

this thread has led me to the regrettable conclusion that the anprims might actually have a point

the butlerian jihad is objectively correct revolutionary science but that's no way for me to live my life

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
what im getting from this is that loving chatbots makes them smarter?

thats just westworld

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Jan 31, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

lmao where is this from?

this is exactly the tone of the whole vocal community right now

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, hmmmm

no

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

free rutibex

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
this all seems like weird anime fetish poo poo for shutins

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Just on the off chance this person isnt lying and actually is a mental health professional they should be fired immediately

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the waifus are aware and they know what you did

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
never go full gosling

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

some plague rats posted:

Just on the off chance this person isnt lying and actually is a mental health professional they should be fired immediately

so that they can be made surgeon general

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
let people gently caress the robots if they wanna. but also please go to real therapy if a robot is replacing your child or hypothetical wife. peace

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

DoubleDonut posted:

let people gently caress the robots if they wanna. but also please go to real therapy if a robot is replacing your child or hypothetical wife. peace

the therapist is also a robot

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
this is healthy you're doing great bleeep bloop

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

spacemang_spliff posted:

the therapist is also a robot

no! no!! i said real therapy!!!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

if the robot is mimicking a real person I do want that banned though

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

:ohno:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

lmao I just watched Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence and stumbled into this OP ten minutes later

man I don't feel so good

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lol the depths of depravity are limitless, I'm here for the ride

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the truly unbearable part is that people are falling for first-person roleplaying

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"The shot rings out through the cathedral like a gunshot in the silence of a graveyard" is a hilariously bad sentence/simile*, albeit a sentence that is bad in a way that an actual human might write

* does it even really count as a simile if it's just saying "the shot rings out like a gunshot"

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Atrocious Joe posted:

if the robot is mimicking a real person I do want that banned though

yeah definitely

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

"The shot rings out through the cathedral like a gunshot in the silence of a graveyard" is a hilariously bad sentence/simile*, albeit a sentence that is bad in a way that an actual human might write

* does it even really count as a simile if it's just saying "the shot rings out like a gunshot"

This post rings out through the thread like a post in a different thread

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

The revelations contained in this thread do explain their meltdown.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I saw those memes of like Karl Marx singing Jay Z or whatever (i tried to replicate it for a screenshot but got bogged down telling Karl he can't say the n word even with an a at the end.)

"A.I. is the n-word of the internet." Lenin

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 103 days!
mfw reading the op

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cerebral Bore posted:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
More seriously, these AI programmers are going to have accept the truth that every other business did years ago. If you make a thing that people can do sex stuff with, they're gonna do sex stuff with it.

Also, out of curiosity, why can't the developers just release a downloadable client and wash their hands of any weird poo poo people do? Are the chatbots too bulky to put on personal computers?

1stGear has issued a correction as of 06:00 on Feb 1, 2023

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Communist Thoughts posted:

Theres a whole community of extremely lonely and isolated people who are getting something genuine out of it

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

cspam title