Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/netflix/status/840276073040371712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol People still have netflix when f2movies exists? lmao get with the times idiots

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Live is sharing that dick

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

i gotta take a whiz test to my netflix

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I took a break from Netflix for a month and when I came back there wasn't anything new worth watching. What's the point?

Now I subscribe to one or another service for a couple months at a time. Once you cycle back after a year there should be something new. Dunno if they'll crack down on short term subscribers tho

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Who can't afford their own Netflix account? It's one account what could it cost? $200 a month?

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

The most entertaining thing on Netflix is the queue of shows that you can absentmindedly flip through, your eyes glazing over as you see one terrible Adam Sandler movie after another synopsized with accompanying screenshots, your life slowly dripping away.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I got the Criteriom Channel bitch that all I need. Everything else I torrent.

Arrow is nice to grab for a month occasionally bit they don't add stuff frequently enough and the library is p small

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

You wouldn't share your SA account would you, op? Lowtax was really onto something.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Caesar Saladin posted:

How many people in this thread are not paying for their own netflix? Are you mad for some kind of moral reason or something?

But seriously i'm worried my girlfriend is going to break up with me if all my streaming passwords stop working, its probably the only thing keeping us together at this point

I've been meaning to cancel Netflix ever since they raised the price. Their range isn't worth what they charge and it hasn't been for quite a while.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Someone needs to come up with some streaming service that just combines all the others together. This constant fracturing is loving anti-consumer and has water everything down. It's inevitable that some combo thing is going to come along.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I got the Criteriom Channel bitch that all I need. Everything else I torrent.

Arrow is nice to grab for a month occasionally bit they don't add stuff frequently enough and the library is p small

gonna start my free criterion trial, what am i watching?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

flubber nuts posted:

if its all of michael criterion's works, i recommend congo, sphere and jurassic park

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

flubber nuts posted:

The Long Goodbye is on their rn and is baller as hell. High and Low is a super underrated Kurosawa movie. Eyes Without a Face and Jigoku are horror classics. Until the End of the World is a wild rear end watch, almost 5 hours long apocalyptic sci-fi film with William Hurt.

It's prob just the best streaming service out there. It has an absolute ton of movies and virtually all of them are classics along with some great newer stuff to boot, but they still throw in some b-movie stuff in fairly often. If I actually want to watch poo poo I haven't seen a billion times without resorting to the Amazon Prime trawl where you just find the most bizarre rear end, random forgotten crap, then it's my go-to

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I pay for Netflicks but there are a few people who have my password so gently caress them I guess?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Waltzing Along posted:

Someone needs to come up with some streaming service that just combines all the others together. This constant fracturing is loving anti-consumer and has water everything down. It's inevitable that some combo thing is going to come along.

There's hundreds of them and they're all free.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

you already can't stream at the same time on the basic account, so what's the big deal?

I know because my in-laws are always watching Longmire when I'm trying to relax!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Amazing that they want to tie you down to one location and make you jump through hoops and place strict limitations on using it somewhere else. Because nobody in 2023 uses anything but stationary televisions or desktop computers to watch things.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Waltzing Along posted:

Totally agree about it being a consumer unfriendly clusterfuck, but I wish I shared your confidence that the situation will improve. Unless disney buys everyone out (unlikely). Even if they did you just know the new Disney++ would cost like $99 / month.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Maybe if they made it easier to find the log out button I'd stop 'sharing' every time I rent an airbnb.

My wife was mad about this but I've started aggressively cancelling streaming services we haven't used in a month. We don't watch that much tv after work and it takes 5 minutes to resub. it's so unnecessary to give these mega firms free money for watching a movie once every 2 weeks. It's cheaper to rent them as needed.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 1, 2023

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Maybe they'd get more subscribers if they stopped spending so much money on poo poo movies and cancelling popular shows after one season.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I've had a Netflix sub since 2018 but their catalog sucks rear end now so I only keep it because my parents and sister use it. Guess I'll just cancel it now then lol get hosed dumbass company. Doubt any of my family will bother subscribing themselves.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
at this point tubi has a better catalog than netflix

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

quote:

Can You Still Use Netflix While Traveling?
Signing into Netflix outside of your home may lead to the device in use being blocked from Netflix. This could prevent you from signing into new devices while traveling, but Netflix has devised a workaround.

Traveling users who want to use Netflix on a hotel smart TV, company laptop, etc. can request a temporary code from the service when signing in. This will give them access to their account for seven consecutive days.

How Can You Prevent Netflix from Blocking Your Devices?
Signing into home Wi-Fi at least once every 31 days on your devices will make them “trusted devices,” which Netflix will remember and leave unblocked.

If your device has been blocked incorrectly, you’ll need to contact Netflix in order to get it unblocked.

The very first time one of my devices gets locked out of a service I pay for I'm not calling them to get it unlocked lol.

I'm deleting the app.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

cubicle gangster posted:

We don't watch that much tv after work and it takes 5 minutes to resub. it's so unnecessary to give these mega firms free money for watching a movie once every 2 weeks. It's cheaper to rent them as needed.
Yup, the way I've used these services is that there's a show or two I want to watch, and if there's no trial I'll pay for one month if I really want to watch it that much. But they don't want you to use them like this so they do the opposite of advertising and hide away what they have which funnily means I'm much less likely to give them any money because I can't just easily check "is the show I want on there".

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

cubicle gangster posted:

Maybe if they made it easier to find the log out button I'd stop 'sharing' every time I rent an airbnb.

My wife was mad about this but I've started aggressively cancelling streaming services we haven't used in a month. We don't watch that much tv after work and it takes 5 minutes to resub. it's so unnecessary to give these mega firms free money for watching a movie once every 2 weeks. It's cheaper to rent them as needed.

I am really bad about unsubbing when I haven't watched anything for a while, but I think I'll cancel everything except Amazon Prime (I actually got it for the free shipping, their streaming service is just a bonus). I share my daughter's Disney+ account and those two are really more than enough for me.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Even HBO, which I love, took down Westworld. Back to piracy it is than, fuckers.

Jesus, that's their original content even. wth

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Bula Vinaka posted:

Jesus, that's their original content even. wth

"Pay for cable and movie theaters or get hosed, idiot," is kinda Zaslav's whole MO

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Gen Z have never pirated anything and don't actually know how.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

spunkshui posted:

The very first time one of my devices gets locked out of a service I pay for I'm not calling them to get it unlocked lol.

I'm deleting the app.

Yeah that happens I would immediately cancel. I really should cancel it now. last thing I watched on Netflix was 1899 and it wasn't even good.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I gave my password to my parents and brother. My brother gave it to my cousin. She gave it to her sister, their dad, and grandma. I also gave my password to my roommate, my ex's friend, and probably a whole host of other people that i don't remember. That password is basically a recessive gene in an aristocrat's lineage: everyone and their uncle has it.

Anyway, the only reason I put up with the rare "too many devices on this account" bullshit is because it feels so loving amazing to push the "log out of all devices" button on the website. My inbox will stuff itself full of "new device logged on" notifications. I'll get texts from people i haven't talked to in years asking if it's okay if they still use my Netflix account and "oh, that's the password again?"

But the best part of all is the feeling of power that I get when I turn off the TV in every one of their houses, simultaneously. It makes me feel like the god of TV and I'm unleashing my pent up fury on the over-consuming peasants.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Love is fickle.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I got a small home server and just went back to piracy.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

Streaming aggressively did what cable did back in the day. Loads of exclusive poo poo that you had to pay extra for, lumped in with a bunch of stuff you don't want

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Streaming aggressively did what cable did back in the day. Loads of exclusive poo poo that you had to pay extra for, lumped in with a bunch of stuff you don't want

glad that streaming saw the errors of cable and went “no wait let’s make that poo poo even worse”

I share a family account with my mom who is in the states, and my sister in Scotland. I’m in Sweden, and I will gleefully pirate if need be.

Santa Clarita Diet, Tuca & Bertie and GLOW were enough blows to lose, and I’ve already torrented the Netflix MST3ks as they’re not available abroad. Big Mouth and whatever spin-offs little Nicky Kroll will do, can join my Plex.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Netflix is now like 50% true crime documentaries of varying quality, 25% poo poo that nobody in their right mind would ever watch, and 25% stuff you might enjoy that'll just get dumped on there with no fanfare or advertising at all.

Pluto TV and Tubi are better for random content you can watch while doing chores around the house or whatever and they're totally free. Netflix has the new Unsolved Mysteries, sure, but you can get every single old episode on Pluto TV in a 24/7 streaming channel.

I still think Amazon Prime is the worst major streaming service based on user interface, quality of uploads, and the pricing structure; but Netflix has lost basically all the appeal it had just 5 years ago.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

teen witch posted:

glad that streaming saw the errors of cable and went “no wait let’s make that poo poo even worse”

I share a family account with my mom who is in the states, and my sister in Scotland. I’m in Sweden, and I will gleefully pirate if need be.

Santa Clarita Diet, Tuca & Bertie and GLOW were enough blows to lose, and I’ve already torrented the Netflix MST3ks as they’re not available abroad. Big Mouth and whatever spin-offs little Nicky Kroll will do, can join my Plex.

The writing on originals is SO bad. Like so so so so poo poo. Loys of stuff has that too cool for school pretentious dialogue thay feels so forced and unnatural.

Keeping it at our house for the weeun. Plus, subbed with a pakistani vpn so paying like $5 for their top tier.

Same for youtube premium $3 per month.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

BigSexy posted:

Guarantee if pretty much anyone itt complaining had a business like this they wouldn’t allow people to share

if I owned a media company my sould goal would be driving "creatives" into destitution so that they get real jobs

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I got Amazon a few months ago and I think I've watched everything I'm going to. I thought they had a bunch of good stuff?

Also the expanse was good but but its a totally different show every season with the same characters. Feels pretty formulaic and I'm not sure why it got such bonkers reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Outrail posted:

I got Amazon a few months ago and I think I've watched everything I'm going to. I thought they had a bunch of good stuff?

Also the expanse was good but but its a totally different show every season with the same characters. Feels pretty formulaic and I'm not sure why it got such bonkers reviews.

This was the only reason I got Prime last year and while the show was good I lost interest some point in season 3. Cancelled Prime the other day when I realized what I was paying wasn’t even worth the shipping savings.