Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I spent all night picking this out for you, I hope it's perfect

(USER WAS AUTOBANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

maffew buildings posted:

lolololol

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Great start to the month

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McNally posted:

lolololol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

To add to the laughter, Maffew texted me curious if a picture hotlinked from facebook was responsible for his being banned. He’s posted on these forums for 22 years and never knew about the three tags that cause an autoban. Just, lol. Thanks for the laughs. Great start to the day.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I love this forum

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey, speaking of March 2020, here's the shot heard 'round the leopards-eating-faces party world!

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1620451219641876482

Mr. Nice! posted:

To add to the laughter, Maffew texted me curious if a picture hotlinked from facebook was responsible for his being banned. He’s posted on these forums for 22 years and never knew about the three tags that cause an autoban. Just, lol. Thanks for the laughs. Great start to the day.

I'm wondering if it was accidental. I started a GDT in SAS once and got an autoban because I'd somehow moved the tag from "Hockey" to whichever autoban is/was next to it (keyboard?) and didn't catch it until it was too late.

e- For those keeping score at home, "BANME" is directly above "NHL".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 1, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I love this forum

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

maffew buildings posted:

Thank you for your service :patriot:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I get why Attention and Ban Me are autobans, but why did HOT end up in the autoban list?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
February 2023 Current Events: DON'T USE THESE TAGS

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Best thread kickoff in years.

February 2023 Current Events: It's still the HOT tag in my heart.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

so he finally proved that " im too dumb to get probated" custom title eh

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Well, he was a Seabee...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Defenestrategy posted:

I get why Attention and Ban Me are autobans, but why did HOT end up in the autoban list?

Because much like the :imunfunny: which used to be what showed up for :awesome: people were :regd08:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

CMD598 posted:

Well, he was a Seabee...

Many people are saying this

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

Many people are saying this

Thanks for the laugh

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm originally from FL, and I'm baffled at what DeSantis is doing in an effort to give red meat to the GOP base for a presidential run.

Trump had no political record whatsoever going into the presidency. DeSantis has a huge list of fascist poo poo he's done to his own state that Dems can skewer him with.

Seems he hasn't realized over the past 3 elections that while the GOP base loves fascism, independents and democrats in blue and purple states are repulsed by it, and he can't win with red states alone.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mustang posted:

I'm originally from FL, and I'm baffled at what DeSantis is doing in an effort to give red meat to the GOP base for a presidential run.

Trump had no political record whatsoever going into the presidency. DeSantis has a huge list of fascist poo poo he's done to his own state that Dems can skewer him with.

Seems he hasn't realized over the past 3 elections that while the GOP base loves fascism, independents and democrats in blue and purple states are repulsed by it, and he can't win with red states alone.

I dunno, conventional wisdom said trump should have been a non-starter for many reasons, especially a video where he bragged about sex assault not getting him kicked out of polite society. I don’t like DeSantis but he’s not an idiotic and the democrats have plenty of stuff to get hit on:
-DeSantis is 44, Biden is 80.
-the border is a mess and provides lots of opportunities for easy photo ops, especially with Texas eager to hype up any crimes committed against white women by undocumented persons.
-“billions and billions to a corrupt hunter Biden country they call Ukraine”
-note that Florida kept schools open and support parents over teacher indoctrination. I think that worked in Virginia

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Personally, I think DeSantis is doomed on the national stage.

Not to mention, Trump isn't just going to go away unless he dies.

DeSantis has a proven record of enacting laws and policies targeting minorities, LGBTQ people, and anyone else the GOP views as their enemy.

Hard to justify being the "Free State of Florida" when he constantly uses the state government to harm businesses or institutions that dare criticize him.

Plus, he has a weird, nasally, whiny voice, like some nerd that needs to be stuffed in a locker.

I think the only reason it works for him in Florida is because FL is a uniquely awful place full of awful boomer transplants.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

A new challenger has entered the fray! Nikki Haley will run for the GOP presidential nomination.

https://www.postandcourier.com/poli...30c30e8be3.html

She may be a unifying figure insofar as America seems to hate women politicians, non-white people AND non-white women politicians.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mustang posted:

Go full fash in the primary, stick to border and “fiscal responsibility “ in the debates.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mustang posted:

DeSantis has a proven record of enacting laws and policies targeting minorities, LGBTQ people, and anyone else the GOP views as their enemy.

Hard to justify being the "Free State of Florida" when he constantly uses the state government to harm businesses or institutions that dare criticize him.

Plus, he has a weird, nasally, whiny voice, like some nerd that needs to be stuffed in a locker.

I think the only reason it works for him in Florida is because FL is a uniquely awful place full of awful boomer transplants.

After Trump won the primary and then the general in 2016, assuming someone is unelectable because of their beliefs/policies/actions should have gone out the window.

Especially if Biden runs again.

You don't need to rile up the base so hard you overwhelm everyone; you just have to depress the opposition so they don't show up.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

A new challenger has entered the fray! Nikki Haley will run for the GOP presidential nomination.

https://www.postandcourier.com/poli...30c30e8be3.html

She may be a unifying figure insofar as America seems to hate women politicians, non-white people AND non-white women politicians.

She did an amazing job with disaster management as SC Governor, we could do a lot worse.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mustang posted:

No matter what, the GOP primary is going to be nuts. I can't wait for the weapons grade insanity.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The GOP Primary is going to be a complete poo poo show, I don't think Biden will have any problem winning re-election.

edit: and Trumpism has been a disaster for the GOP for 3 election cycles in a row now, so I don't buy that it's somehow going to make a successful comeback in 2024.

DeSantis won his huge re-election because the FL Democrats ran a former republican, depressing their own votes

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think Biden is going to have an awful time wining re-election. The GOP hates him. The chuds hate him. To the centrist he is an old dude who hasn't fixed the deficit or some milquetoast position. And to the left he's an example of the useless lanyard class of politicians slowly strangling us under the crushing weight of unrestrained capitalism.

Nobody likes Biden for Biden, they like him because he's Not Trump

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mustang posted:

The GOP Primary is going to be a complete poo poo show, I don't think Biden will have any problem winning re-election.

edit: and Trumpism has been a disaster for the GOP for 3 election cycles in a row now, so I don't buy that it's somehow going to make a successful comeback in 2024.

DeSantis won his huge re-election because the FL Democrats ran a former republican, depressing their own votes

A republican vs DeSantis and a cop against Rubio. Just the dumbest possible outcomes.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

M_Gargantua posted:

I think Biden is going to have an awful time wining re-election. The GOP hates him. The chuds hate him. To the centrist he is an old dude who hasn't fixed the deficit or some milquetoast position. And to the left he's an example of the useless lanyard class of politicians slowly strangling us under the crushing weight of unrestrained capitalism.

Nobody likes Biden for Biden, they like him because he's Not Trump

Depending on how much """""""inflation""""""" continues to worsen in the coming months/year it might get much, much worse.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

NPR just had a piece positing that Biden running for re-election is not going to be a victory; younger voters are outright saying they won't vote if we are just repeating the last election. There is real concern among some in the Dems that they are losing the younger vote specifically because there has been no real progress, and America isn't in a much different spot that 2020 in the grand scope.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

People hated Trump and he lost the House to a blue wave in the 2018 midterms.

People don't like Biden yet in 2022 midterms the GOP can just barely squeak out control of the house and lost a senate seat. The GOP House has been a shitshow since day 1 this year.

I think there's a huge difference between Trump and Biden. Everyone HATED Trump. People merely dislike Biden.

edit: and to be clear, I don't care much for Biden either, I just don't think the GOP has what it takes to win

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

NPR just had a piece positing that Biden running for re-election is not going to be a victory; younger voters are outright saying they won't vote if we are just repeating the last election. There is real concern among some in the Dems that they are losing the younger vote specifically because there has been no real progress, and America isn't in a much different spot that 2020 in the grand scope.

I don’t know that “younger voters are saying” is really an indicator of anything meaningful. People were yelling about how he was too old and nothing would change last time, too.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

maffew buildings posted:

I had abdominal surgery on 30 DEC to fix a hiatal hernia and have a hard time not wincing in pain when laughing.

This caused a deep belly laugh leaving me wheezing and only in minor pain. But was heartily enjoyed.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Starting to think the College Board is full of cowards.

https://archive.is/1DsBc

quote:

After heavy criticism from Gov. Ron DeSantis, the College Board released on Wednesday an official curriculum for its new Advanced Placement course in African American Studies — stripped of much of the subject matter that had angered the governor and other conservatives.

The College Board purged the names of many Black writers and scholars associated with critical race theory, the queer experience and Black feminism. It ushered out some politically fraught topics, like Black Lives Matter, from the formal curriculum.

And it added something new: “Black conservatism” is now offered as an idea for a research project.

When it announced the A.P. course in August, the College Board clearly believed it was providing a class whose time had come, and it was celebrated by eminent scholars like Henry Louis Gates Jr. of Harvard as an affirmation of the importance of African American studies. But the course, which is meant to be for all students of diverse backgrounds, quickly ran into a political buzz saw after an early draft leaked to conservative publications like The Florida Standard and National Review.

In January, Governor DeSantis of Florida, who is expected to run for president, announced he would ban the curriculum, citing the draft version. State education officials said it was not historically accurate and violated state law that regulates how race-related issues are taught in public schools.

The attack on the A.P. course turned out to be the prelude to a much larger agenda. On Tuesday, Governor DeSantis unveiled a proposal to overhaul higher education that would eliminate what he called “ideological conformity” by among other things, mandating courses in Western civilization.

In another red flag, the College Board faced the possibility of other opposition: more than two dozen states have adopted some sort of measure against critical race theory, according to a tracking project by the University of California, Los Angeles, law school.

David Coleman, the head of the College Board, said in an interview that the changes were all made for pedagogical reasons, not to bow to political pressure. “At the College Board, we can’t look to statements of political leaders,” he said. The changes, he said, came from “the input of professors” and “longstanding A.P. principles.”
More on U.S. Schools and Education

He said that during the initial test of the course this school year, the board received feedback that the secondary, more theoretical sources were “quite dense” and that students connected more with primary sources, which he said have always been the foundation of A.P. courses.

“We experimented with a lot of things including assigning secondary sources, and we found a lot of issues arose as we did,” Mr. Coleman said. “I think what is most surprising and powerful for most people is looking directly at people’s experience.”

The dispute over the A.P. course is about more than just the content of a high school class. Education is the center of much vitriolic partisan debate, and the College Board’s decision to try to build a curriculum covering one of the most charged subjects in the country — the history of race in America — may have all but guaranteed controversy. If anything, the arguments over the curriculum underscore the fact that the United States is a country that cannot agree on its own story, especially the complicated history of Black Americans.

In light of the politics, the College Board seemed to opt out of the politics. In its revised 234-page curriculum framework, the content on Africa, slavery, reconstruction and the civil rights movement remains largely the same. But the study of contemporary topics — including Black Lives Matter, affirmative action, queer life and the debate over reparations — is downgraded. The subjects are no longer part of the exam, and are simply offered on a list of options for a required research project.

And even that list, in a nod to local laws, “can be refined by local states and districts.”

The expunged writers and scholars include Kimberlé W. Crenshaw, a law professor at Columbia, which touts her work as “foundational in critical race theory”; Roderick Ferguson, a Yale professor who has written about queer social movements; and Ta-Nehisi Coates, the author who has made the case for reparations for slavery. Gone, too, is bell hooks, the writer who shaped discussions about race, feminism and class.

A.P. exams are deeply embedded in the American education system. Students take the courses and exams to show their academic prowess when applying to college. Most four-year colleges and universities grant college credit for students who score high enough on an A.P. exam. And more than a million public high school students graduating in 2021 took at least one A.P. exam.
But the fracas over the exam raises questions about whether the African American Studies course, as modified, fulfills its mission of mimicking a college-level course, which usually expects students to analyze secondary sources and take on contentious topics.

Chester E. Finn, Jr., a senior fellow at Stanford’s Hoover Institution, said the College Board had come up with a smart strategy by not eradicating the “touchy parts,” but rather making them optional.
“DeSantis likes to make noise and he’s running for president,” Mr. Finn said. “But they’ve been getting feedback from all over the place in the 60 schools they’ve been piloting this in. I think it’s a way of dealing with the United States at this point, not just DeSantis. Some of these things they might want to teach in New York, but not Dallas. Or San Francisco but not St. Petersburg.”

But Professor Crenshaw, the critical race theory scholar, suggested that those theoretical elements were essential to the course work.

The A.P. course “is a corrective, it is an intervention, it is an expansion,” she said. “And for it to be true to the mission of telling the true history, it cannot exclude intersectionality, it cannot exclude critical thinking about race.”

She spoke in an interview before the final curriculum was released, but had seen an early draft, which included a now-omitted reference to her widely cited journal article “Mapping the Margins.” In the late 1980s, Ms. Crenshaw coined the term “intersectionality,” which refers to the way various forms of inequality often work together, and was a word to which Florida objected, saying it is foundational to critical race theory.

Ms. Crenshaw said she was stunned when she saw that the Florida Department of Education had targeted topics related to intersectionality, Black feminism and queer theory. “African American history is not just male. It’s not just straight. It’s not just middle class,” she said. “It has to tell the story of all of us.”

More than 200 faculty members in African American studies condemned Governor DeSantis’s interference in the A.P. course in a letter published in Medium on Tuesday. They accused him of censorship and of trying “to intimidate the College Board into appeasement.”

A.P. exams have incited conflict before. A U.S. History curriculum guide in 2014 had to be revised after it was attacked for calling Ronald Reagan “bellicose” toward the Soviet Union and giving more prominence to a Native American chief than to Ben Franklin.

Ilya Shapiro, director of Constitutional Studies at the Manhattan Institute, said he did not object to topics like the Black Panthers and the Black is Beautiful movement being included because “that’s certainly part of what was America.”

But if the curriculum was going to embrace theory, he said, the draft curriculum should have named conservative or independent Black thinkers like John McWhorter, Shelby Steele and Thomas Sowell.
There are hints that the College Board is embedding some of the disputed material, without being explicit about it. “Intersectionality” is cited eight times in the draft curriculum, but only once in the new version, as an optional topic for a project.

But the concept seems to sneak into required course content, under the heading of essential knowledge, referencing the writers Gwendolyn Brooks and Mari Evans, who “explore the lived experience of Black women and men and show how their race, gender and social class can affect how they are perceived, their roles and their economic opportunities.”

Acceptance for the new curriculum is important to the College Board, a nonprofit, because A.P. courses are a major source of revenue. The Board took in more than $1 billion in program service revenue in 2019, of which more than $490 million came from “AP and Instruction,” according to its tax-exempt filing.

Teachers who are trying out the draft curriculum said it has been popular.

“I had an interest meeting during lunch and my room was full, standing room only,” said Nelva Wiliamson, a teacher at Young Women’s College Preparatory Academy, a public all-girls school in Houston which is majority Black and Hispanic.

Sharon Courtney, a high school teacher piloting the course in New York State, said the backlash frustrated her, as every teacher tweaks and refines a new curriculum.

“You’re critiquing something that isn’t finished,” she said. “Wait until I cook the meal.”

If I were a teacher tasked with this course, I would have "This Non-Violent Stuff Will Get You Killed" and "We Will Shoot Back" added as optional but strongly recommended readings so I could really melt some CHUD parents' brains.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

“You’re critiquing something that isn’t finished,” she said. “Wait until I cook the meal.”

you can't complain that i just put a huge turd in the crock pot, can you at least wait until it's finished marinating :nallears:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Appeasement is back on the menu, boys. I can't wait for some good old fashioned peace for our time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

maffew buildings posted:

I spent all night picking this out for you, I hope it's perfect

o7

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

God drat if that's not the best way to start the new thread. Excellent av/title upgrade too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Starting to think the College Board is full of cowards.

https://archive.is/1DsBc

If I were a teacher tasked with this course, I would have "This Non-Violent Stuff Will Get You Killed" and "We Will Shoot Back" added as optional but strongly recommended readings so I could really melt some CHUD parents' brains.

The GOP also just disbanded the House Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties.