Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

yeah its usually "killing someone whose teeth look like mine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I dunno how you solve the DNA issue when trying to fake your own death. I'd ask the people who succeeded at it, but I think they've died.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I dunno how you solve the DNA issue when trying to fake your own death. I'd ask the people who succeeded at it, but I think they've died.

Bribes

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

DNA Test- Money, time.
Closing the case and calling it? Cheap, looks good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

I'm not aware of any Democrats looking to primary Biden. The California Governor Gavin Newsom is making a lot of "look at me" gestures in the event Biden doesn't declare or can't make it through the primary.

I imagine that a lot of older Dems have strong memories of 1980, when Ted Kennedy's primary against Carter severely weakened him in the general. One of the benefits of incumbency is you can raise money and look good/competent while the other side is busy burning wads of cash trying to tear each other apart in their primary, and a real campaign to primary Biden would waste one of the biggest advantages the Dems have in that regard.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
This isn't the 80s. You can't just walk through a cemetery of dead children and pick out a new name anymore.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I imagine that a lot of older Dems have strong memories of 1980, when Ted Kennedy's primary against Carter severely weakened him in the general. One of the benefits of incumbency is you can raise money and look good/competent while the other side is busy burning wads of cash trying to tear each other apart in their primary, and a real campaign to primary Biden would waste one of the biggest advantages the Dems have in that regard.

I don't think they care about winning. They just want to make sure the right kind of democrat gets the nomination and they already have that with Biden being president

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tag yourself.

Here it is in text.

I’m ensuring stability in the Western Balkans.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm no longer preventing the sale or lease of US flagged merchant vessels to foreign operators

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know about that.

We wouldn’t want the people to suffer from an insufficiency of maritime tonnage to carry the products of the farms, forests, mines and manufacturing industries of the United States, to their consumers abroad and within the United States.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 2, 2023

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm an emergency relating to the anchorage of vessels.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arrath posted:

The little mouse wiggle of frustration elevates this to quite possibly my favorite gif ever.

You and me both. It's the difference between someone with a good sense of humor and a genius.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't think there's a lot of DNA testing in your average death investigation if someone can recognize the body.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

So I've heard of faking your own death before. But I've never heard of "killing someone that looks like me to take my place to fake my own death" before!

https://twitter.com/EmGusk/status/1620935661485170688?t=MjFLgV8fRl9zT3YBjPdfYQ&s=19

That’s a plot point in the last season of Better Call Saul, Lalo keeps a lookalike on his property for exactly that purpose.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

When Carter was trying to brief the incoming Reagan about major issues, Reagan wasn’t paying much attention until Carter mentioned how South Korea’s dictator was using lethal force against students protesting for democracy, and Reagan casually wished such an option were available to US presidents. Carter expressed concern about this attitude.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s a plot point in the last season of Better Call Saul, Lalo keeps a lookalike on his property for exactly that purpose.

Check out a book called "The Contortionist's Handbook" by Craig Clevenger if you're into fictional death fakings. It's pretty good.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

When Carter was trying to brief the incoming Reagan about major issues, Reagan wasn’t paying much attention until Carter mentioned how South Korea’s dictator was using lethal force against students protesting for democracy, and Reagan casually wished such an option were available to US presidents. Carter expressed concern about this attitude.

He really was the worst.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BREAKING: Ron DeSantis is taxing your electric stove

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1620822734769983491

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Platystemon posted:

Something something methane man made manifest

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
politicians can turn YOUR stove into a political BOMB

and blow your hopes for a better future to smithereens!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Senator Shithead seen dining with Speaker Dumbshit
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1620926058425122817?t=Ex0dlAcl840VfxPtfN5o3Q&s=19

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Platystemon posted:

Jesus loving Christ. :psyduck:

I see he's officially arrived in his lame duck term that he wouldn't answer to when Charlie Crist called him out about.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Maffew had that avatar for like three years, that made it look like he’d been probated. Clearly, it was a cry for help.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Platystemon posted:

He was America’s youngest governor till three weeks ago, when Sarah Huckabee Sanders took that crown.

At first I was like, jesus christ who the gently caress made her a governor?? And then I saw it was Arkansas and, yea I guess that figures.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I think I clocked it here but the best prediction I have ever heard for the next presidential election is that Hillary runs in the Primary, knocks out Biden, then gets beat by Trump again in the general.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It would certainly be the funniest path to the apocalypse, not gonna lie

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Elendil004 posted:

I think I clocked it here but the best prediction I have ever heard for the next presidential election is that Hillary runs in the Primary, knocks out Biden, then gets beat by Trump again in the general.

I laughed out loud, but y'know, with despair

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/RepJimmyGomez/status/1620878732738330629

cringe af imo

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Red Storm Rising update: in the book the French carrier Foch is sunk by missiles. The real ship was sold to Brazil in 2000. They are now trying to scrap it except there’s the problem of it being filled with asbestos so the company that bought it for scrap can’t get a port to accept it so a tug is going in circles wasting 20 tons of fuel a day. Brazil now plans to sink it and environmentalists aren’t thrilled.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/02/climate/brazil-aircraft-carrier-asbestos.html

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/eisingerj/status/1621118762652155905?t=K6jZZxXeRxH1gDdXU4MwtQ&s=19

For anyone that's worked in or around healthcare this isn't a surprise. The real surprise is that when they sued they got the emails for exactly what the UR department was doing to deny the claims.

I know some Social Workers who left frontline clinical work for managed care and insurance companies, I don't blame them but I just don't know how you work for such a terrible entity without it hollowing you out

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I've been dealing with sleep apnea and snoring, and I'm borderline on the tests so insurance won't cover anything. The solution is to keep paying out of pocket for sleep studies and hope one of them gives the desired result, or pay thousands of dollars for alternative treatments through a dentist or ENT. LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT HOW GLAD I AM THAT THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T CONTROL MY HEALTHCARE

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No, see, the government controls your healthcare too MUCH. In a free market,

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fifth circuit struck down the Lautenberg Amendment with regard to DV restraining orders. Founding fathers didn’t care about DV, so we can’t restrict firearms for the same reason.

https://assets.nationbuilder.com/firearmspolicyfoundation/pages/3970/attachments/original/1675361904/United_States_v_Rahimi_Opinion.pdf

Also republicans approved Ilhan Omar for the foreign affairs committee yesterday just so they could vote to remove her today.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 2, 2023

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/eisingerj/status/1621118762652155905?t=K6jZZxXeRxH1gDdXU4MwtQ&s=19

For anyone that's worked in or around healthcare this isn't a surprise. The real surprise is that when they sued they got the emails for exactly what the UR department was doing to deny the claims.

I know some Social Workers who left frontline clinical work for managed care and insurance companies, I don't blame them but I just don't know how you work for such a terrible entity without it hollowing you out

Not going to go into details here, but I can confirm that United is absolutely worthless. I recommend staying as far away from them as possible, especially if you have any sort of chronic condition. They basically go out of their way to make your life as miserable and expensive as possible.

Health insurance in the US is still a loving mess.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

No, see, the government controls your healthcare too MUCH. In a free market,

They're only death panels when the government does it.

When private insurance does it, it's just "smart business" or "controlling risk"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
so very glad we do not have universal health care, a thing that most americans want. so cool.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

We'll never get it at this point I don't think.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nick Soapdish posted:

Working as an EMT was giving me emotional problems because I would see, over and over again, how my presence there as a representative of US health care was destroying the lives of some of the patients I was trying to help. They would call 911 when poo poo got bad, but that just ended up spiraling them further in to debt because just my rig showing up was going to cost thousands and thousands of dollars. So even if they got acute help, the next time someone was dispatched to help the next call they were worse off. They frequently could not afford whatever was necessary to actually fix the problem, but they couldn't afford to have me come out either. Yet they couldn't not have me come out because they'd be loving dead, so Misery-go-round spun on and on making some CEO somewhere richer and richer.

I genuinely do not understand how more terminally ill cancer patients don't strap these fuckers to chairs and start removing parts until the screaming stops.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

bird food bathtub posted:

I genuinely do not understand how more terminally ill cancer patients don't strap these fuckers to chairs and start removing parts until the screaming stops.

I don't know how anyone can read this article and not just wishing for all of the people involved to be run over or have a 10-ton anvil dropped on them in Minecraft. Every single detail in that article just makes it worse.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/becausemiami/status/1621240801807187968?s=46&t=O1GwqiWHDBIwuMevf-N-Kw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I hope that was live audio