Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
do they let you post the gamer word there? because like, its a gamer website but also like no one is there to see it anyway?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I accidentally typoed gamefaqs.com and ended up on a very different site

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
When an actual lot of people are on a forum, it turns into a god damned nightmare

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gamefags

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol that cjayc had the good sense to sell out and lowtax didn't.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I always kinda hated the name of the site because it wasn't a site for FAQs, it was for walkthroughs/guides. Sometimes those guides contained FAQs, but that was just part of them. Now some people use the term "FAQ" to refer to text-only guides for things, which is so dumb!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Remember printing out game faqs guides and putting them in binders

Lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

HonorableTB posted:

whatever happened to luelinks anyway

turned into a place with stricter moderation than resetera constantly banning 1-2 people a week for shitposting, with a population of less than 200~

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dead trees whisper to one another

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Nooner posted:

do they let you post the gamer word there? because like, its a gamer website but also like no one is there to see it anyway?

Is the gamer word “Fortnite” because I see a lot of people playing that

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

A Stupid Baby posted:

When an actual lot of people are on a forum, it turns into a god damned nightmare

The Story Of Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol that cjayc had the good sense to sell out and lowtax didn't.

i remember that there was an honest to god user revolt and boycott when CJayC sold to gamespot and then they turned the misogyny dial to 11 with the new admin bethany

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Devils Affricate posted:

I always kinda hated the name of the site because it wasn't a site for FAQs, it was for walkthroughs/guides. Sometimes those guides contained FAQs, but that was just part of them. Now some people use the term "FAQ" to refer to text-only guides for things, which is so dumb!

Farts And Qocks

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
If you take liberty with your pronunciation, you could read it as gamefucks.com.

Does Gamefucks.com exist? What would it be? Just wondering, haha.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol

When I went to visit family overseas where I would not have any computer access I printed out a walkthrough for a JRPG I was gonna show off to my cousins. Not the entire thing, but enough pages that my parents weren't happy. Can't ground me when I've got a plane ticket to leave the country for two weeks :smug:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I printed that whole rear end Baldur's Gate I guide at over a hundo pages. No one could stop me, bitch I used that whole rear end thing multiple times.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I used "it's like a cheat code" as an analogy to explain some poo poo to a young person today and they didn't know what that meant. Games don't have those anymore? poo poo.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
anybody got any cheat codes for Fortnite

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Animal-Mother posted:

I used "it's like a cheat code" as an analogy to explain some poo poo to a young person today and they didn't know what that meant. Games don't have those anymore? poo poo.

did they understand anything else you said

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It's the Konami code still but I never used it.

L, R, up, down....crap

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

flubber nuts posted:

the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks "eti"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Metafilter has like 100 posters left and they all hate each other, the mods, and the previous owners. Oddly the one person who's actually liked is the current owner

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Lawman 0 posted:

Honest we should return to actual FAQS instead of all the wiki poo poo.

its weird looking something up and getting a bunch of links to fucken Newsweek

https://www.newsweek.com/dragon-quest-xi-11-post-game-guide-optional-content-1100444

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

I wouldn't mind if they all used MediaWiki for their sites like the Elder Scrolls one does, I'm sick of Fandom's bullshit.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I kind of miss the cheerful communal use of fags
What are you fags up to?
Stop being a huge fag
Im a ginormous fag, so what
Stop fagging this poo poo up
Almost sexless almost harmless but sort of got lumped in with the n word
A bit like retard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

that's because most of us have already beaten the water temple op.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Carlos Lantana posted:

This message was deleted by a GameFAQs Moderator

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

was there a big migration to an offsite like what NeoGAF did with ResetEra?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Why would SA have users browsing gamefaqs?

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Why would SA have users browsing gamefaqs?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

A Fancy Hat posted:

I already printed up the walkthrough for Earthbound, I have no more need of that site.
^^^^
this guy needed a walkthrough for a nintendo game

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Prettz posted:

^^^^
this guy needed a walkthrough for a nintendo game

That game literally shipped with a strategy guide, the box was huge. I have it around here somewhere.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

That game literally shipped with a strategy guide, the box was huge. I have it around here somewhere.

also the strategy guide was fun as hell to read. earthbound rules.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Does the ness scratch and sniff still smell like a fart?

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
theres some videos with some geordie bloke playing dark souls games having to follow the IGN release day guides to the letter.

despite some screeching it's actually pretty funny imo.

the guides are written in this monkey cheese style "Aren't you proud of yourself? You should call your parents and let them know about your accomplishments" and then he's got to do it and his dad is all like "WHA??" while his mom is politely like "I'm proud of you son" even tho she has no idea wtf he's talking about

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol

when i last moved, i found a bunch of very obviously fake cheats/secrets for pokemon red and blue that i printed out in like 1999 from awful sites like gamewinners; i'm sure i tried a good many of them back in the day. i deliberately did not throw them out and i really need to find them again and scan them or some poo poo, they're some good vintage made-up bullshit.

Lawman 0 posted:

wikis that aren't run by fandom are generally really good. the uesp is the best resource for morrowind by a country mile, for example.

however most wikis are fandom wikis now and they are loving godawful, i've gone back to utilizing gamefaqs a lot more the last year or so if i need info in a game.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 2, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i still prefer the gamefaqs text ones sometimes.

it sucks when you try to find help on something and its a freaking clickbait article with a 15sec video with filler text just describing the game rather than any actual walkthrough stuff.

or an actual youtube video where you have to move the tab to where you think the spot you want help on is at

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

GateOfD posted:

i still prefer the gamefaqs text ones sometimes.

it sucks when you try to find help on something and its a freaking clickbait article with a 15sec video with filler text just describing the game rather than any actual walkthrough stuff.

or an actual youtube video where you have to move the tab to where you think the spot you want help on is at

I have this same opinion. poo poo on GameFAQs all you want, but it's at least from a time when the internet was readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

it's sad but if you're looking for written video game help the easiest way to find it now is to add "reddit" to the end of your search

those video guides are horrible. they're always at least 10 mins long, and have some guy talking way too much, but in a monotone voice recorded quietly as if he's trying not to wake up his parents in the other room.