Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Star Trek: Resurgence is an upcoming title from Dramatic Labs, a studio of 20+ Telltale employees including writers and artists

Reveal Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNer-6JEJk0

Star Trek: Romulan Supernova is coming to Xbox Series X/S, PS4/5, and PC via the Epic Games Store. Here is a link to the Epic Games Store pre-order page:

According to the Epic Games Store pre-order page, Star Trek: Resurrection will be released in April 2023. Updated release date for May 23rd :toot:

https://twitter.com/TrekResurgence/status/1641489717802983424?t=bLGlkJ1L1HEdtTdbWxhWPQ&s=19

The game's website has a pretty good FAQ that goes over most of the info they've released thus far, so I will link it here: The Official Star Trek: Replicator Malfunction Website I will post a condensed version here with my own commentary for the benefit anyone who wants to discuss the game.

Star Trek: Revengeance is a Telltale-style narrative adventure game, from a bunch of ex-Tale employees from many departments. In addition to cinematic dialogue choice sequences, it will have shuttle piloting, phaser fights, tricorder scanning, stealth sequences :ughh: and "micro-gameplay mechanics" (QTEs). The player character will be controlled in a 3rd person over the shoulder camera for exploration sequences. There will be two protagonists controlled by the player throughout the story, the ship's female Bajoran not Bajoran first officer and a male human lower decker type character working in security engineering. According to the game's website, this will be a single large scale narrative complete at release, not an episodic title, and the game is "a single player experience without microtransactions, DLC, NFT's or other additional monetization models." :hellyeah:

The game will be set in 2380, the same year as seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek: Lower Decks (watch it if you haven't, it's great). They also have a hell of a Nimoy impersonator on board.

Star Trek: Retro HD is being built in Unreal engine (unspecified here, probably 5?) and their interactive screenwriter system, trademarked Beanie. :technobabble:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/trekresurgence?lang=en

Media:

IGN 6 minute first time preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHSoyQVfhmY

IGN 7 minute gameplay reveal video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SPhKVDVfBE

IGN 4 minutes of gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzkxv6DhkPo

IGN 11 minute "Meeting Captain Solano" gameplayhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdBAe5iGm2o

Prequel Comic Book

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Reserving this space for old trek games.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'd really like this to be good - I'm still doubtful it will be more than a 6/10 type game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Agreed, I'm not expecting much, but I'm down for a Telltale style Star Trek adventure game!
Shame it got delayed, was going to be out by now, I think. But the footage that was released a while back looked a bit rough, so I'm not going to argue with giving it some more time in the oven.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, I think low expectations are a good way to not be disappointed, but Telltale has hit some highs in the past and if this team has the special sauce it could end up being really something. If nothing else it will be the first Star Trek adventure game since the 90s.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

From the trailers and screenies, it feels Star Trek. That's a big plus.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's prob gonna BLOW rear end but I've enjoyed every BLOWN rear end Star Trek game I've played thus far so idgaf, I just want to see my boys.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Klingon Honor Guard is one of my favorite 90s FPSes obsessed with colored lighting, of the colored lighting squad, it holds a special place in my heart, my boy Kurn giving the briefings hell yeah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOfSnXfslsE

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I think Telltale-style adventure game is a good fit with Star Trek. I mean adventure games generally fit pretty well with Star Trek, I have very fond memories of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary apart from the terrible space combat. The plotlines in that game certainly felt like TOS episodes though! I wish Deep Space Nine had gotten a game or two in the same vein.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

The game will be set directly after the film Star Trek: Generations, (in the trailer everyone is wearing the First Contact Uniforms :w00t: ) They also have a hell of a Nimoy impersonator on board.

Per the website it's set in 2380, the year after Nemesis and the year Lower Decks seasons 1 and 2 take place in. The First Contact uniforms are still in use at that point by non-support-fleet ships.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The idea of “it takes time to do a uniform update” seems wrong to me.

Like, at the end of the night, you take off your uniform, toss it in the replicator, and it gets broken down.

Next morning, you replicate a fresh uniform, and go about your day.

Oh look, uniform update for pushed through overnight.

Even if you keep a spare or two in a drawer so you don’t go on duty naked during an emergency, you still decompile them and replicate a new batch when the update gets pushed out.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I see it as the uniform code is more lenient during a change-over. Rather than Star Fleet just saying "everyone wear the new uniform on this stardate" it's more "here's the new uniform, all ships need to swap to it by this stardate", so it's probably up to the captain when their ship swaps over before the deadline.

Also don't mind the idea that there might be different uniforms for different parts of Star Fleet. We saw that in DS9 where the station crew wore the reverse of the TNG uniform (coloured shoulders and a black body), and every time you saw starship crew they were wearing the TNG uniform. Until Generations when the TNG crew wore a mix of TNG and DS9 uniforms (because the new uniform they designed for the movie didn't pan out and they needed to borrow DS9 costumes), then Voyager just adopted the DS9 uniforms and DS9 moved over to the First Contact uniforms when that movie came out.
You see different ships having different uniforms in modern Trek. When the Enterprise showed up in Discovery it's crew were wearing TOS-style coloured tops instead of the blue jumpsuits the rest of Star Fleet had in the show. In Lower Decks you seem to have a different uniform for Cali class ships from 'hero' ships, and in Prodigy the original crew of the Protostar had a special uniform while others have what look like modified All Good Things future uniforms.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MikeJF posted:

Per the website it's set in 2380, the year after Nemesis and the year Lower Decks seasons 1 and 2 take place in. The First Contact uniforms are still in use at that point by non-support-fleet ships.

gently caress, I have brought dishonor to my house, like a worthless p'takh. I somehow missed the actual date and just meant "after Generations" because of the uniforms. That's actually a pretty good setting for a new TNG style adventure, which is what I've wanted out of live action trek for a long time. Lower Decks is great but I want a sedate, 45 minute Trek with lots of talking and less action.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

The idea of “it takes time to do a uniform update” seems wrong to me.

It's not an update, the uniform we see in Lower Decks are a B-type uniform worn by crew on support mission ships like the California or the Parliament, or other personal in that branch. The First Contact uniforms are still the main Starfleet uniform type, and will continue to be until they're updated around 2383 to the type we see on the Dauntless in Prodigy.

(Which are closer to the Lower Decks uniform, but still distinct)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 5, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If it doesn't have Spock's blue lunch sack full of items, count me out.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

This is, just from a format perspective, the closest a Star Trek game has come to having the chance to be a good Star Trek Game since 25th Anniversary, A Final Unity or like 10% of Star Trek Online, so boy, I hope this is good.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

IMO there should be a million more games using the best cast, which is the TOS cast

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Hey Beetus, real small thing, but you have the year as 2080 as opposed to 2380

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CzarChasm posted:

Hey Beetus, real small thing, but you have the year as 2080 as opposed to 2380

Lol, thank you and corrected.

In other news the game has an updated release date! Pushed back another month until May 23. Hope they're not crunching too hard over there!

https://twitter.com/TrekResurgence/status/1641489717802983424?t=bLGlkJ1L1HEdtTdbWxhWPQ&s=19

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Less than a week. I'm really hoping it's decent so Trek games might get some love from Paramount again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like I’m seeing no advertising for this. But then I didn’t see any for the Prodigy game either, I just found it out on a store shelf.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
First review I've seen - https://wccftech.com/review/star-trek-resurgence-tell-tale/

Some technical issues but he liked the game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I probably won't be able to pick this up tomorrow because I just recently started a new job after being unemployed tomorrow. I think the lack of advertising is weird but based on that first review, it sounds like Telltale alright. Looking forward to seeing some goon opinions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope there's a free roam state where we can just poke around everywhere they built in the ship going 'ooo'

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They'd better have the glowing red bar thing in the ship somewhere

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh, major character cameo spoiler maybe apparently Jonathan Frakes is in the game???

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Probably plot spoiler related to that: Apparently Riker gets involved because of his prior experience with a T'kon guardian

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Anyone playing this yet? Not sure when I'll be picking it up and I want to hear some goon impressions.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Professor Beetus posted:

Anyone playing this yet? Not sure when I'll be picking it up and I want to hear some goon impressions.

It's fun, but not unlike Telltale games the controls are kinda clunky when you're doing anything 'action' related (by which I mean slowly walk across the surface of the ship and fire your phase). The voice work is great. They found an amazing soundalike for Leonard Nimoy. I'm not sure about some of the story concepts throwing they're throwing at me but if you have any familiarity with the franchise you've seen far worse.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dawgstar posted:

It's fun, but not unlike Telltale games the controls are kinda clunky when you're doing anything 'action' related (by which I mean slowly walk across the surface of the ship and fire your phase). The voice work is great. They found an amazing soundalike for Leonard Nimoy. I'm not sure about some of the story concepts throwing they're throwing at me but if you have any familiarity with the franchise you've seen far worse.

This is the best thing that I've read yet; thank you for your service.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Looks better than Star Trek DS9 Harbinger and I still played that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Klingon Honor Guard is one of my favorite 90s FPSes obsessed with colored lighting, of the colored lighting squad, it holds a special place in my heart, my boy Kurn giving the briefings hell yeah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOfSnXfslsE

It's upsetting to me that this game is not on GOG, and there is really no way to play it on modern PCs.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Reviews on gaming news sites are making it sound kind of bad. But I imagine the writers of those reviews might not be giant star trek fans. I'm a giant star trek fan. So I need a review from the standpoint of someone (like me) who thinks final unity is a good pc game (it's not).

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

namad posted:

Reviews on gaming news sites are making it sound kind of bad. But I imagine the writers of those reviews might not be giant star trek fans. I'm a giant star trek fan. So I need a review from the standpoint of someone (like me) who thinks final unity is a good pc game (it's not).

I do not know Jim Trinca's opinion on Final Unity but I can assure you he is a massive Trek fan. You'd probably enjoy his review: https://www.vg247.com/star-trek-resurgence-review

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ErrEff posted:

I do not know Jim Trinca's opinion on Final Unity but I can assure you he is a massive Trek fan. You'd probably enjoy his review: https://www.vg247.com/star-trek-resurgence-review

"this is the best Star Trek game since Elite Force."

God bless.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
This game has a lot of issues graphically with the 30fps 1080p cap, but the Universal Unreal Engine 4 Unlocker lets you set the resolution at least.

Even with those problems, it's 90's Star Trek as all hell. A and B plots between the XO and lower decks guy, working on a space labor dispute, waving glowy things over other things to fix them.

I haven't had this much fun in a Star Trek game since the 25th anniversary CD edition.

Press F to Appreciate Water.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Noise Complaint posted:

This game has a lot of issues graphically with the 30fps 1080p cap, but the Universal Unreal Engine 4 Unlocker lets you set the resolution at least.

Even with those problems, it's 90's Star Trek as all hell. A and B plots between the XO and lower decks guy, working on a space labor dispute, waving glowy things over other things to fix them.

I haven't had this much fun in a Star Trek game since the 25th anniversary CD edition.

Press F to Appreciate Water.

Excellent. Mrs Beetus got the game tonight and has been playing, I'll probably get a chance to play some tomorrow or the weekend at the latest, and I'm pumped. Going to go on a star trek

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think loving around with the graphics overrides in the nVidia control panel has improved the opening scenes a bit?

Although the opening cutscenes are really impressing upon me that CBS really needs to get some kind of shared resource set available to all their third parties. That Steamrunner looks rough and I know there are game-scale models out there.

The interiors of the starfleet stuff is lovely. I'm going to be playing this game so slow because I'm gonna be looking at every single corner.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 24, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Goddamnit I want to live on a starship. It's such a nice environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This game needs an 'are you sure you want to go back to the main menu and lose where you're at' dialogue box.