Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Theatrhythm Final Bar Line comes out on 16th Feb and is I think the third one of these to come out after two on 3DS. The first one was decent but low on songs, with only about 3 per FF unless you bought DLC. Curtain Call was the second one and was probably the best rhythm game on the 3DS and maybe one of the best 3DS games in general. All the songs & DLC from the first game were in the base game, plus new DLC from other non-FF square games like saga and chrono trigger.

This one's supposed to have 385 songs in the base game plus DLC so it's gonna be ridiculously huge, thankfully FF music owns. coming to Switch and Steam and there's currently a demo out with 30 songs + progress carried over to main game.

there's three versions to get. base game, digital deluxe which has 27 extra songs + the first DLC season, premium digital deluxe which has the 27 songs + all the DLC. i'm bad with money and also square's bitch so i'm getting the premium one.

Curtain Call's battle mode was really good, 1v1 playing songs but you could send poo poo to mess up the other player, and I think this one has the same mode but 4 player. hoping we can get some imp games going. not sure if there's crossplay but i'm getting the switch one.

also There is no dedicated IZ thread for rhythm games so thought this could double up as that. some other rhythm games:

groove coaster - very good but expensive. lots of touhou remixes which are good but also vtuber poo poo.
muse dash - great gameplay, designed by perverts
taiko no tatsujin - drums. better with the controller but still fun without.
ddr - the classic
guitar hero/rock band - lol

Theatrhythm DLC Schedule

SaGa Pack: Feb. 16
Live A Live Pack: March 1
The World Ends with You Pack: March 15
NieR Pack: March 29
SaGa Pack Vol. 2: April 12
NieR Pack Vol. 2: April 26
Chrono Pack: May 17
Chrono Pack Vol. 2: June 7
Mana Pack: June 28
Octopath Traveler Pack: July 19
Saga Pack Vol. 3: Aug. 9
Mana Pack Vol. 2: Aug. 30
Xenogears Pack: Sept. 20
TBA Pack: Oct. 11
TBA Pack 2: Nov. 1

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Dr. Cool Aids fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’ve been saying theta-rhythm this whole time

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
i think it is just pronounced like the words theatre and rhythm next to each other. really bad name

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
im mad i dont have a switch. rhythm games are probably the thing that would get me to buy one but im saving up for a trip rn so its not in the cards. i should get curtain call since my 3ds is hacked so im sure its just online for me to download lol

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I usually like rhythm games but the demo isn't clicking with me for some reason.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

im mad i dont have a switch.

I'm mad at you for not having a switch.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Leadthumb posted:

I'm mad at you for not having a switch.

well im glad we agree

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i havent played the demo yet been busy trying to make rent but ive been wanting them to port arcade thearthrythm to consoles for years and im glad they finally did it. groove coaster is probably my favorite current rhythm game (well not current anymore they really recently stopped development because they ran out of hard drive space in the cabinets to push updates to lol) and arcade theatrhythm was basically just that but the buttons aren't physically on the directional controls so when i'd get tired of groove coaster in the arcade i'd just take a theatrhythm break lol. and now i can do that on my nintendo switch. thank you square enix

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 3, 2023

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Final Bar Line tip that makes Supreme tracks much easier: The game does not actually care about diagonal swipes, it only reads cardinals. So if you have a sequence that's up-right, right, down-right, down, you can hit right 3 times and down once to clear them. Also, for double swipes, if you have a left/right and a right/left then it doesn't actually matter what stick you use for what direction, so long as you hit a right and a left. So you don't actually have to change your directions if you get something like that back to back.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Galuf...

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Never played any of these before but ff music is top tier so I’m all in on this one I think. Thanks 4 thread

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

played the demo for five mintes and bought the hu dred dollar edition lets go!!!!!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rhythm games are cool but I haven’t played one in a while. I liked Curtain Call so I’ll probably check this poo poo out. Also been thinking about playing Gitaroo Man again

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

rhythm games are good. frequency/amplitude killed gave me the hands of an 80 year old. ftw. played melatonin a few weeks ago. not a big fan of the style but the rhythm heavenness of it and the music is very good and I recommend it.

I'm ready to play theatrhythm.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Everhood is cool as gently caress and somewhere between a rhythm game and Yume Nikki

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

tawal posted:

rhythm games are good. frequency/amplitude killed gave me the hands of an 80 year old. ftw. played melatonin a few weeks ago. not a big fan of the style but the rhythm heavenness of it and the music is very good and I recommend it.

I'm ready to play theatrhythm.

Amplitude owns

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Arch Nemesis posted:

Amplitude owns

Frequency too. Those are the only music games I really got into. You can tell I don't play a lot of them by the way I call them music games.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

EmmyOk posted:

I’ve been saying theta-rhythm this whole time

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
this game kicks rear end

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kongming posted:

Final Bar Line tip that makes Supreme tracks much easier: The game does not actually care about diagonal swipes, it only reads cardinals. So if you have a sequence that's up-right, right, down-right, down, you can hit right 3 times and down once to clear them.

this is a killer tip

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Kongming posted:

Final Bar Line tip that makes Supreme tracks much easier: The game does not actually care about diagonal swipes, it only reads cardinals. So if you have a sequence that's up-right, right, down-right, down, you can hit right 3 times and down once to clear them. Also, for double swipes, if you have a left/right and a right/left then it doesn't actually matter what stick you use for what direction, so long as you hit a right and a left. So you don't actually have to change your directions if you get something like that back to back.

ive never played it, but ill keep this in mind if i ever do

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
No Elite Beat Agents in the OP? smh. I scratched the poo poo out of my DS lite playing that.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

elite beat agents was fuckin awesome. too bad the sequel never came here

Edit: there was never actually a sequel but I guess Reggie wished they could have done one. I agree.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Syncopated posted:

No Elite Beat Agents in the OP? smh. I scratched the poo poo out of my DS lite playing that.

literally just plucked a few out my head but good shout. Should've mentioned osu! really which is like the stepmania for that series. the first ouendan was the first ds game I imported

rhythm heaven is also good, been meaning to check out melatonin

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

did literally anybody else play the new amplitude or was that just me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

this game kicks rear end

This

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the last rhythm game I put a lot of time into was Hatsune Miku and then dabbled in djmax, theatrhytjm is a lot chiller. I actually really enjoy the dumb party building stuff, I liked making an OP team of Level 99 Lighting (XIII), Lightning (XIII-2), Lightning (Lightning Returns) and Yuna (X-2)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

rock band was epic when I was a teenager

also this is the greatest level in rhythm game history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r959FXNmQo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

grieving for Gandalf posted:

rock band was epic when I was a teenager

also this is the greatest level in rhythm game history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r959FXNmQo

Hell yeah. When it starts the reprise of the legendary theme... so epic

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
can't believe I forgot parappa the rapper too

by way of apology here's the jay z mashup that works way too well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX61Ze6rfRk

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hell yeah. When it starts the reprise of the legendary theme... so epic

I've thought about it for a long time and I think the only way it could be better is if the girl's meter began to go back up when she stops being an antagonist and plays with U-1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my favorite of the Hero style games was DJ Hero - love that game

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
UmJammer Lammy ftmfw

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

GameCube posted:

did literally anybody else play the new amplitude or was that just me

I platinumed it :dukedog:

I was sad that it had all its own music rather than cool contemporary stuff I wouldn't have heard otherwise like the original, but some of the tracks ruled. Loved ICU and Dalatecht, gently caress Astrosight

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

fuser also owns but the game dying so early is unfortunate. hopefully the modding scene for it gets big

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
demo rules but i am too stupid to figure out the wavy notes and move the analog stick to the right place. time to get good

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

barnold posted:

demo rules but i am too stupid to figure out the wavy notes and move the analog stick to the right place. time to get good

Hey Barnold! lol just a little humor about your username

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

Hey Barnold! lol just a little humor about your username

barnold schwarzenegger: get to the woodchopper :D

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

bet his favorite drink is a Barnold Palmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon