Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I mean, if you think Southern Baptist ministers are annoying now, just wait until we encounter an intelligent and self-aware species at least on par with humans that wasn't born on Earth, and therefore, is not descended from Adam and Eve and, therefore, doesn't have a soul and can't be saved.

I mean, it's Adam and Eve, not Adam and [indecipherable Alien name].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

vegetables posted:

Your minds will all be blown when the aliens all go “just lol that you have original sin; just lol that you all need redeemed by the Christian God”

My biggest worry is that we'd encounter an alien race like the extremist Skrulls in the Marvel Universe who also believe that their supreme being has commanded them to conquer and convert all life.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I still don't see how the answer wouldn't just be "oh he sent him to us so we could tell you about him, he died for your sins too"

Your answer makes way too much sense, that's why.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Polaron posted:

Isn't this just original Battlestar Galactica?
Yeah. The remake did a different take on "humans discover earth".
If we meet humans from other worlds, they're still extra terrestrials, right?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Groke posted:

Hmm, there have for certain been multiple versions of "humans did evolve on Earth BUT some alien jokers kidnapped a bunch of paleolithic hunter-gatherers long ago and seeded them on different planets so now we have a number of human-but-alien civilizations around the place". For example the old Traveller RPG setting.

Any chance anyone knows what the name of the planet is in Mass Effect 1 where Shepard finds the alien artifact that looks like a big hovering silver ball that lets Shepard experience the memories of a primitive human who's being observed by aliens?

The "experience" for the player is just several pages of text but, especially when it was the only Mass Effect game, it was pretty cool universe building given that the player has no idea what's really coming.