Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Nobody is disputing that other teams were likely cheating, it's about the extent the Astros went with it and also they won a World Series well doing it. You can't false-equivalence out of that, they made a bunch of money off of cheating and were not punished in any meaningful way.

Edit: I dislike the Astro's organization far more than any individual player and I do think some players on that 2017 team receive more flak than others unfairly (Altuve) but they cheated harder than anyone else and ended up narrowly winning a championship well doing so.

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Here is the link and the actual quote from a 2018 article about electronic sign stealing (before the can bang heard round the world) - what do you think these guys were looking at?

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/11/02/cameras-stealing-signs-pace-play-rob-manfred

You will once again rationalize this away as something else, I'm excited to see how.
You can not possibly be this dense.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Because right now it's telegraphing that if you're a player, you can cheat to win the World Series and you won't be punished for it. It set a precedent where if it ever happens again, you can point to how the players on the 2017 Astros got zero punishment, so the same should be true for any future players that do the same thing.

I would prefer there be no cheating in my professional sports, but if you're not going to do anything about it when it happens then just open the flood gates. "But that would be bad for the sport." Yeah, add it to the list. I spent years detesting the steroid era players, and now I feel like a fuckin idiot because the league clearly never actually gave a poo poo when the commissioner in charge of that era was put into the hall.

Either it matters or it doesn't, but be consistent. Inconsistency and handwaving poo poo like this away with some performative "see, these two dudes got hosed we did our part" to me is a larger problem in the big picture. Why follow any team if only the cheaters are going to win--furthermore, why follow any team even if it's cheating if their specific brand of cheating is randomly chosen to be forbidden that season. It's a mess.

I would still be irritated with cheating, but if you can point at the league and say "it's a little late, every team is a cyborg now" I'd just have to swallow my issues with it and just move on.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

bawfuls posted:

You sure about this

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bawfuls posted:

Are you really this naive? I know you love the Dodgers a lot and want to believe that they are just innocent victims and have never stolen a sign, but come on.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bawfuls posted:

When you attempt to paper over these distinctions, it really undermines your whole "I'm a reasonable Astros fan who understands why people are mad and doesn't attempt to apologize for the team" schtick.

edit: you're making the same point as noted troll Sab, just with less defiant language.

I'm going to ignore everything else, because that conversation has been subjective opinions between us. We have our takes and said our peace and that's cool with me.

These comments are bush league bro. Do better.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Popete posted:

Nobody is disputing that other teams were likely cheating, it's about the extent the Astros went with it and also they won a World Series well doing it. You can't false-equivalence out of that, they made a bunch of money off of cheating and were not punished in any meaningful way.

Edit: I dislike the Astro's organization far more than any individual player and I do think some players on that 2017 team receive more flak than others unfairly (Altuve) but they cheated harder than anyone else and ended up narrowly winning a championship well doing so.

Ok - but other teams set up cameras in their stadium. Other teams built spreadsheets of signs. Other teams conveyed signs in real time. The Astros organization wasn't even unique, in the report from MLB they even stated that this whole thing started because Beltran told them they were behind the times. The Astros cheated and won a world series by beating 3 other teams in the playoffs that also were cheating. If you think the Astros went further than other teams and are worse then fine, but it feels weird to say this level of cheating is ok, and one step beyond actually deserves having the Black Sox treatment and all awards and titles stripped.

I think they were punished in a meaningful way. They lost significant draft picks, their WS winning manager, the best GM in the sport, and the players, especially Altuve (who didn't cheat), have had the focused ire of the MLB fanbase for 3 years.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Permaban all Astros fans. Except for me

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrMidnight posted:

It's a troll post my dude. Ignore it.

It's impossible to tell the difference between his troll post and every other astros fan post.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think the Astros should be disbanded because I don’t like them. Do the Yankees too while we’re at it.

:hmmyes:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the astros cheated and suck for it, and because it's sports and none of it actually matters it's more fun to call the astros a bunch of cheating cunts because that's what they are. The fact their fans pretzel themselves defending their team by saying everyone else cheated too is more sad because the correct response is to flip the double bird while screaming "hell yeah we cheated, two time world series champions motherfuckers!"

Either own the cheating whole hog and scream it to the clouds that you don't care because rings, or actually act like you feel bad that it happened.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah that's always a great idea - devolve this forum into a bunch of shitposting.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Kirios posted:

Yeah that's always a great idea - devolve this forum into a bunch of shitposting.

The F1 thread is the best thread here, so I agree. The baseball thread is depressive, dark, and sad - it needs some joy.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sab0921 posted:

The F1 thread is the best thread here, so I agree. The baseball thread is depressive, dark, and sad - it needs some joy.

Sounds like the baseball thread needs some passione

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Sounds like the baseball thread needs some passione

The F1 version of the baseball thread would just being arguing about fuel sensors or DAS or whatever forever.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

The absolute worst offender on this is your fellow Astros poster Sab, who you don't bother calling out or engaging with on this issue in any way, so spare us the concern when others get tired of it and respond in kind

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

There won't be a consensus on the 2017 Astros. They cheated. Some people think that's fine, some people don't.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sab0921 posted:

The F1 version of the baseball thread would just being arguing about fuel sensors or DAS or whatever forever.

The baseball version of the F1 thread would be aggressively arguing about propane v charcoal barbecues and doing meth in a floridian swamp while loving your cousin in your f-350 supercab

Free tony montana

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

ilmucche posted:

The baseball version of the F1 thread would be aggressively arguing about propane v charcoal barbecues and doing meth in a floridian swamp while loving your cousin in your f-350 supercab

Free tony montana

loving rude - it would be about whether a Trager is a real smoker (it's not).

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wait why is a Trager not a real smoker?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Kirios posted:

Wait why is a Trager not a real smoker?

You sure you want to do this? Bawfuls says you have to call me out before you engage.

It's a pellet grill that's almost entirely electronically controlled - it's baby's first smoker

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sab0921 posted:

You sure you want to do this? Bawfuls says you have to call me out before you engage.

It's a pellet grill that's almost entirely electronically controlled - it's baby's first smoker

Wait how is that not just...an electric smoker? Like those cheap rear end Smoke Hollows?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: actually let me take my own advice and NOT contribute to BBQ chat

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 12, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

No I legitimately didn't really know what a Traegar did in the smoking world other than being a big name. I have my own smoker that I've used forever and never looked into Traegars.

That is...kind of disappointing.

Edit: Oooh, I get it now, it's kind of an all in one solution. You can smoke and grill on one. Huh.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ilmucche posted:

There won't be a consensus on the 2017 Astros. They cheated. Some people think that's fine, some people don't.

This sounds correct op. Ferrari ftw.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bawfuls posted:

The absolute worst offender on this is your fellow Astros poster Sab, who you don't bother calling out or engaging with on this issue in any way, so spare us the concern when others get tired of it and respond in kind

This guy seems really mad. Does anyone agree

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
so the reason we're talking about this again is because a player on the 2017 team said they were stealing signs during the post-season, contradicting the MLB report that said it only happened in the regular season, right? or am I misremembering how this went down

Dick Boss
Mar 20, 2023

by Hand Knit
The great ones tell their cheating opponents "not today"

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He got mad on the internet about baseball. Really hate to see it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
E: a dumb derail

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 12, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

bawfuls posted:

so Sab is just making poo poo up to troll

edit: also :agreed: with this too

bawfuls posted:

When you attempt to paper over these distinctions, it really undermines your whole "I'm a reasonable Astros fan who understands why people are mad and doesn't attempt to apologize for the team" schtick.

edit: you're making the same point as noted troll Sab, just with less defiant language.

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 13, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

consensus easily reached.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Everyone except you is furious on the internet at all times, try to keep up

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

edit: also :agreed: with this too

I legitimately don't troll and I didn't make anything up.

In response to a question asking whether anything has ever said anyone has installed cameras outside of the replay cameras I posted an article from before the Astros scandal broke that said multiple teams have installed high magnification cameras for the purposes of stealing signs and used the Dodgers as an example. The author, Verducci, likened it to Vegas security control room.

I didn't make anything up, Bawfuls just really has to hold on to Astro bad and has painted himself into a corner with his moral declarations about the Astros and their fans.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No you posted an article that said teams were watching "in-house" cameras

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

But Astros indeed bad, they big cheated and won a world series because of it.

At least they got a legit one now, would've had some respect if they'd taken down the 2017 banner and replaced it with the 2022 one.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

bawfuls posted:

so Sab is just making poo poo up to rationalize it to themselves and/or troll

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

^^
Nope - as much as you want to believe the Astros invented sign stealing in 2017. It's just flat out not true.

bawfuls posted:

No you posted an article that said teams were watching "in-house" cameras

The article literally said the teams have "installed" high magnification cameras for the purposes of stealing signs and used the Dodgers as an example. What does that mean to you?

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 14, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I thought we were trying to come to a consensus on the astros, the team who banged the cans to win the world series, not any other team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Thread title should be: Astros fans & everyone else bitch about 2017 cheating here