Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

See anything like that is probably just too esoteric to make out effectively in a live game with a crowd and all. The bangs worked because they were loud and distinctive. As long as the batters knew to listen for them they can read the pattern. But if you’re not aware at most you think some fan is banging something or stomping the bleachers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IIRC the bangs were an open secret around the league. I remember seeing some video where the pitcher was getting visibly angry after every bang and yelling at the ump, no idea who it was though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s been said/implied that the Astros cheating was an open secret. And Boone outright accused them which they publicly mocked him for. Which I imagine is what it came down to. Their opponents knew it was happening but maybe not the exact methods or in a way they could prove. And speaking out would only lead to the Astros denying and calling them sore losers so they largely didn’t.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2017.shtml

Go here. Sort by OPS+. See if you can spot the cheaters. Hint: it's the team with the highest OPS+ since 1931, noticeably way out in front of everyone. The difference between the Astros' OPS+ that year and the next closest team was also a large, unprecedented gap iirc.

Before everything broke, I use to argue we had witnessed the greatest baseball offense ever and weren't really acknowledging it appropriately. Well, that's still true, now we know why. I don't think people really grasp how much this helped the Astros. And that's just the regular season. I think anyone with a basic understanding of baseball, and the variance inherent in playoffs, should be able to reason out how marked an advantage the Astros were playing with.

So yea, I think the suggestion that all cheating was equivalent is bull poo poo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing I find strange is the idea that 2023 changes anything. Like even if we grant they’re the same cores I don’t think anyone but the most extreme argue that the 2017 Astros weren’t a good team capable of winning without cheating. But they did cheat and the cheating unquestionably helped make a good team better. I understand Astros fans happy they have a “clean” win but the weird retroactive impact is something I don’t understand Except of course as continued attempts to reframe the narrative.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The 2nd, "clean" win meant Astros fans could stop arguing in bad faith and they could just leave the discussion entirely if they wanted to. That's it.

Doesn't change that first one should have a big ugly rear end asterisk next to it with a note that says "a team this good still needed to cheat their asses off for reasons known only to god"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The Astros banged the cans to win the world series and are therefore cheaters. Let the 2017 win be forever sullied, and the 2022 win be legit.

A guy on second trying to signal the pitch to the batter is nowhere near someone banging the cans while watching tv

There'll never be a consensus so I want to hear more about those smoker/barbecues and what was going on there

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

ilmucche posted:

The Astros banged the cans to win the world series and are therefore cheaters. Let the 2017 win be forever sullied, and the 2022 win be legit.

A guy on second trying to signal the pitch to the batter is nowhere near someone banging the cans while watching tv

There'll never be a consensus so I want to hear more about those smoker/barbecues and what was going on there

You need a real barrel smoker to be one with the fire.

I bought a car today and they gave me a framed newspaper from the World Series win this year to go along with it. A great way to end this posting day.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Out of curiosity I went on ebay and searched 2023 astros newspaper and it was a shitload of "trump indicted" front pages :lol:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

The 2nd, "clean" win meant Astros fans could stop arguing in bad faith and they could just leave the discussion entirely if they wanted to. That's it.

Doesn't change that first one should have a big ugly rear end asterisk next to it with a note that says "a team this good still needed to cheat their asses off for reasons known only to god"

It is honestly very cathartic and has kinda helped my mental state around here to be able to do this. You can hate on it if you want but 2017 really... doesn't matter to me anymore. Do whatever you want I no longer really care.

Sab0921 posted:

You need a real barrel smoker to be one with the fire.

I bought a car today and they gave me a framed newspaper from the World Series win this year to go along with it. A great way to end this posting day.

Not gonna lie after looking into it I'm kinda curious about a Traeger. Talk me out of it.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 15, 2023

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Kirios posted:

It is honestly very cathartic and has kinda helped my mental state around here to be able to do this. You can hate on it if you want but 2017 really... doesn't matter to me anymore. Do whatever you want I no longer really care.

Not gonna lie after looking into it I'm kinda curious about a Traeger. Talk me out of it.

They should have made me mod for a night when the Astros won last year imo or just ban everyone who slanders Saint Altuve (PBUH)

Tragers are great. I have one. They make everything seamless and easy. It's not the real thing though but who has time to gently caress with a fire at 2 am anyway.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

:jerkbag:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

The real punishment would have been forcibly shaving off Dallas Keuchel’s beard in public