Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Gravedust posted:

I have my own crew to do the looting, just need a little steel along to make it safe while they work.

Darcy who had been nodding along at this point, raised a finger at this line.

"'Scuse me for asking ma'am, what exactly are we bringing steel to defend your blokes from, other 'barrow explorers'? I ain't exactly got much know-all of the region hereabouts to know what to expect."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

quote:

quote:

"'Scuse me for asking ma'am, what exactly are we bringing steel to defend your blokes from, other 'barrow explorers'? I ain't exactly got much know-all of the region hereabouts to know what to expect."

Emelle sighs, shrugs, and spits off the side of the wagon. "Might be. We get jumpers every so often, but not too often. Keep your eyes peeled once we get off the main road and if you see anyone at all, sing out. I can say for sure that there'll be bugs and beasts living out in the ruins, so you can count on a few of those in our path. And in the sealed Barrow? Who knows. Hopefully a lot of shine, though.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===== [ SCOURGE OF THE PASTURELANDS ] =====

The trip to Duston farm is in fact somewhat pleasant. The miles flow by as the motor-wagon chuffs contentedly, riding smoothly over the timeworn, dust-choked roads that run through the pasturelands.

The motor wagon brakes to a gentle halt in front of the Duston farm. The farm is a simple thing, a modest home with a small garden, three small storeage sheds, and a sizeable field stretching off into the distance. A stream cuts between the house and the field, crossed by a wooden bridge.

The front door opens and a man emerges, supported by a wooden crutch. A woman and a young man follow him out the door. The young man holds a crossbow in a relaxed fashion.

"Hail! You're here about my crops? Thank the Virtues for you!"

The man crutches his way over, clearly in some amount of pain. "I'm Moet. These are Analese and Brinn, my wife and son." The woman curtsies gracefully while the young man nods his head respectfully and excitedly. He appears to be taking in your every detail.

"Let me lay it out for you," Moet says. "We've got a Vermik infestation, worse than anything I've seen. They're nesting in our southeast storehouse, and foraging in the north field. I can't get near the storehouse now, and they're so good at hiding in the crops that I can't see 'em until they're too close to use a crossbow on. Haven't got an idea about the number, but more than a dozen at least.. You see what they've done to me." He indicates his crutch. "Been attacked two or three times now. Their mouths are like cesspits, and now the bites are infected. So... Thank the Virtues you're here. I hate to rush you, but every day we lose is less crop we can get in, so I hope you can get started quickly. I have a few things that might be of use. My crossbow, a few bandages, and some of the ointment I use for the bites. Don't worry, I held back enough for myself. The crossbow I'll need returned. The rest you can use as you see fit."

(Grab anything you want out of here. Unlike faction stores, there is only 1 of each listed item)

The young man, Brinn, takes a step forward. "I can help too." He hefts a crossbow and pats a long knife in a leather sheath at his side.
"NO, you can't." Moet snaps back over his shoulder, in a tone of a man who's said the phrase too many times. "What you CAN do is stay out of their way while they tend to business."
Brinn's mouth bends down into a stubborn frown. "They're the ones who should say. They're doing the work. Maybe they'd appreciate the assistance."
Moet puts on a scowl and shakes his head. "I'm already drat near hobbled, boy, if you get injured too what'll we do then?"
"I'll stay well in the rear. Besides, you said yourself the faster this is done, the better off we'll be. It'll be faster with me helping."

quote:

A: Let Brinn Join. The more the merrier!
B: Decline Brinn's assistance. He could get hurt, or get us hurt.

<Optional> Ask for payment up front. (Mameri is paying you when you get back.. but Moet might not know that..)
((You can also ask Moet any additional questions you want. Actual mission will probably start tomorrow or soon after that.))

quote:

(Creature knowledge 3+1 = 4) (Errrffff... Bad first showing for this skill. a higher roll would have given you a few exact stats...) Vermik are [Beast] type creatures, that are very prevalent in the wild but also inhabit abandoned or derelict buildings. They are prone to building nests or warrens near abundant food sources. Usually nonagressive, they become viciously territorial when close to their warrens or nesting sites. They aren't particularly hardy or quick, but their bites are known to carry Toxin.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

"I say! That looks excruciating, my goodman. I can take a look if you'll let me. I have some minor skill in arcane restoration, you see."

Cast Mending(1mp) on Moet if allowed
Decline additional supplies for Percy

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 20, 2023

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===== [ CLEARING THE CISTERNS ] =====

The entrance to Cistern #12 proves to be little more than a solidly-built stone gate built into the interior side of the westwall itself, crossed over with thick iron bars. A few broken old crates and cracked bricks have accumulated in front of it, but these are easily shoved to the side. The key fits easily into the lock and the heavy door is swung open, grating a little on un-oiled hinges.

You are on the verge of heading down when a voice calls out. "Xelek!"

((I know you said this guy was old but I fell in love with this portrait for this guy, sorry. -_-))

The adherent of Aulua holds up his hand breathlessly. "A moment, please.." He says apologetically, bowing to you all.

"Xelek. Here." Nymar presses a potion bottle into Xelek's hand. "In case you need it. Remember Aulua sees you and your need, wherever you may be."
He smiles and takes a few steps backward, bowing again. "Virtues be within you, and watch over all of you."

----

Past the gate the passageway, -inside the westwall, as you reckon it-, descends steeply down and turns back on itself to the right, back towards the center of the city. At a depth of 30 steps the smell and cool damp of still, cold water can be felt in the air, and at 40 steps the stairwall ends in an expansive chamber.

Daeron puts his hand to the Luminator wire strung up on the walls and channels a bit of magic into it, and in a moment the entire area is lit up with a soft greenish-blue light.

A placid pool glimmers in the center of the room, and translucent shapes move slowly through the water.

Immediately to the right, a beat-up metal toolbox rests, apparently for the use of whatever repair or maintenance crews are working down here.

At the far end of the room sits some manner of mechanical crankwheel, which supposedly controls one of the sluices you are meant to test.

quote:

Creature lore (5+0=5)
+Clear Slimes [HP:5][Armor:00][Move:02][XP:00]
Clear slimes can be found near still water in any temperate region, especially in areas shielded from direct light. Unlike their chromatic cousins, clear slimes are harmless, even when attacked. They have a number of beneficial purposes, such as a propensity to absorb and consume algae in water sources. When exposed to harmful or unnatural substances or magics they gain the different colors and aggressive behaviors found in the so-called 'chromatic' slimes.

Contemporary lore (1+0):autofail:
Nobody seems to know anything about this place, how old it is, or what it is for.

(Divine Lore (8+1)=9)
Acolytes of the Watergod Nauvuan descend into one of the Cisterns (Number 8, not this one) to conduct their rituals.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Kocho beams happily and leaps into the cistern with a sprooiing before submerging herself contentedly.

Move 6E 1N (2 pts of move into shallow water)
Pray to Nauvuan: blessingss to the clear waterss, may the flowing waterss carry us ssafely.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

"So we avoid the clear ones, right? I'll watch the south tunnel, can someone handle that sluice?"

Daeron moves past the southern tunnel, and peers into the tunnel with his wand ready for action.

Orders:

Move 2E, 2S,3E, if hostile target appears at range, use wand.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Nell

Nell had spent much of the journey over talking Kocho's ear off, about how great it is to have a New Friend at the New Job. After Kocho jumps into the water, Nell asks her, "Well? How's it taste?"

Without waiting for an answer, Nell grabs the toolkit and starts heading to the sluice control. "They must have left this for us. I hope we don't need it! Gyahahaha!"

She's a bit nervous.

Action: pick up City Repair Kit
Move: E2 S1 E4
(heading east towards sluice control)
(Also, I think Nell's antidote and linen bandages belong to someone else?)

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kocho waves happily at Nell. "The water isss lovely! Ssso nice to ssswim without the cccity guard hassssling me!"

She straightens up and looks around appraisingly. "But on a more sssserious note the water feelsss clean and fressh, asss it ssshould. Thisss sssystem truly isss a marvel; I wonder when it wasss built?'

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Xelek

quote:

"Xelek. Here." Nymar presses a potion bottle into Xelek's hand. "In case you need it. Remember Aulua sees you and your need, wherever you may be."
He smiles and takes a few steps backward, bowing again. "Virtues be within you, and watch over all of you."

Crocodilian as they are, a Paktli's face is very, very hard for most people to read--they simply aren't built for expression in the same way as most races. The differences are subtle--the set of the corners of the mouth, slight shifts in their shallow lips, the degree to which their eyelids are open. But this is a skill that can be learned--with practice, you can discern a Paktli smile of happiness to a smile of threat. And to the trained eye it is clear: Xelek is not smiling at all. Not that he makes much expression at all, these days, outside of stoic misery. After a delay, he nods in gratitude.

"...Thank you. May the Elements surround, and Vices inspire. Glory to the Gods."

--------

Standing at the entrance of the cistern, Xelek presses the tip of his blade against his chest, in between the scutes of his scaly hide.

"NEXTAHUA--"

He stops, shakes his head sadly, and lowers his blade, unblooded, as he steps deeper into the cistern. "No. I am not Worthy. Sollos Manahuia Nejamen Manahuia. Sollos defend me as I defend. Glory be."

Move E7
Action Pray to Sollos.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

"Good thinking Master DeLawney. If his magic can heal the Vermik bites I would be proud to have you help us with your crossbow, Brin. Otherwise, keeping you and your family safe is what we're being paid to do. I wouldn't feel right endangering you when that's the opposite of what we're being paid for."

Camryn squatted to pick up the bundle of bandages. He nodded his head in thanks to the Duston family before tossing them to Delawney. "Catch. You're the only one of us who didn't bring bandages. Worst case, you don't get bit and can use them on someone else."

Camryn passed the antidote to Silver Jenny. "Here. I think we're the most likely to be bitten and while I don't look it, I'm pretty tough. Toxins don't affect me much." OOC- planning on leaning on morale action "shake it off" to clear toxins. We'll see how well it works.

"I think we should try chasing them out of the North fields first. Give us a chance to get used to fighting them one or two at a time before risking the nest. They're more likely to be vicious defending their homes. As everyone knows, even a cornered rat will bite."

vote: if Delawney can heal Moet, Brin can come, otherwise, vote against Brin helping

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 21, 2023

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Seauffer Leuppah - Duston Farm

Other than idly plucking at chords on her lute as she watched the countryside flow by, Seauffer Leuppah didn't say much during the relatively uneventful drive out of Barrican's city limits to the Duston farm out beyond its walls. It was the furthest the tuk had ever been from her home as the crow flies, and though Seauffer wasn't overly concerned about getting back to Barrican after this little extermination job, she was still thankful that it was daytime so that she could study her surroundings while they traveled in case she'd have to make the return trip to Barrican by foot, for whatever reason.

The Duston farm was a lovely tract of land with a small stream wending through it that obviously had seen some better-tended days. The family who worked the farm was similar to the land in lots of ways - there was a love and a beauty present in the worn-down family, but it had clearly seen happier seasons together, and perhaps with a momma Duston present to care for the younger ones...

The farm's owner Moet laid out the details of the Vermik infestation for Seauffer and her teammates, and offered some helpful provisions, including a spare loaner crossbow.

Seauffer had a question for farmer Moet, and so she asked it when the timing seemed right:
"Mister Moet, do you know if there is a way to ensure the Vermik won't return, without killing every last one?"

Action:
> Accept from Moet:
>> Duston Farm Crossbow (on loan, equip to H2)
>> 12x Ammo

> Brinn: A
>> "Mister Moet, your son (Brinn, was it?), he can join us here today, to help navigate the land - but he stays in the back, where it's safer. Understand?"

EDIT: (as per discord convo with GraveDust) swapping out Embroidered Cloak for Iron Scrap Armor (-1 maxMP, -1 MOV, +2DEF), due to faith inquiries!

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 21, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Lux Animus posted:

"And you'll be joining us, I take it? Charmed to meet ya - the name's Seauffer; Seauffer Leuppah," the tuk girl said, doffing her hat to the tall lizard-like person with the strikingly white scales.

"A pleasure," the Dranac replies, with a nod and the hint of a smile -- something of an effort, given how little her face is made for it. "'m Silver Jenny. You new to town too? Looking to get a foothold here, myself."

Jenny takes in the ride to Duston Farm with a silent appreciation for the motor coach; it's nice to be going somewhere not on her feet, for once. When they arrive at the farm, she listens carefully. "You say they're too close for crossbow -- they safe to fight close-up? Avoid the teeth, I'm guessin'." It's a simple question, but given what it's done to the farmer, it never hurts to be clear. Meanwhile, the pale man (there's a name for them, Jenny knows, but it's not coming to mind) has already offered her an antidote, which she accepts and tucks into her belt. "Kind of you," she says. "Be careful."

And on the subject of risks... Jenny looks towards Brinn with a vaguely appraising look. "You're brave, and that's good, but it's not the time. Your father'll need you when it's time to harvest. Stay back -- if we need you out there, we'll call."

Voting for Brinn to stay behind
Also grabbing the Antidote if it isn't spoken for

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 21, 2023

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Much appreciated, Master... Chase was it?" Percy tucks the roll into a front pocket. "And I agree with your assessment. Should my skills not stem the putrefaction it is unconscionable to further risk this household."

The young tuk resettles his monocle determinedly "Now then. Let's be about it!"

Vote: if I can heal Moet, Brin can come, otherwise, vote against Brin helping.
Accept bandages.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[ ===== TREASURE HUNTING AT THE BARROWS ===== ]

The group meets in the early morning by the west gate. Emelle is seated on her wagon already, and standing before it is a taciturn dark-furred Tuur that Emelle introduces as Loarn. A moment's glance reveals that Loarn's horns have been cut down from their normal length. The better to fit into tight spaces, Emelle says. Loarn nods politely to each of you in turn, but does not seem inclined to say very much.

The last of the group to arrive is a woman of around 20's, lean and with sharp eyes. Her features, build and hair resemble Emelle's enough that it is no surprise when the older woman introduces her as her daughter, Mirielle.

"Quite a group," Mirielle says, looking over each of you.

Introductions are cut short as Emelle whistles for Loarn to stand to the cart and start pulling; you have a whole day's walk to get to know one another.

You head southwest along the Midland Way, a lesser-used highway serving mostly farming communities in the southern pasturelands and travellers to the Greenpools.

Traffic thins out quickly after a few hours as most of the farms have been left behind you and the road bends toward a purely southern direction. Emelle rides on the cart, with Loarne pushing tirelessly from behind the cart's front handles, sometimes changing his grip to pull from them instead. Mirielle and the rest of you walk alongside or behind.

"Don't feel bad, Loarn's not being rude." Emelle grins. "He only agrees to pull me on 'cause I can't walk. And 'cause I own the best wagon in the whole of the regency. It's an honor to pull it!" Emelle cackles and Loarn snorts, the closest he's come to saying anything for several hours.

A few more hours' travel and the pasturelands have given way totally to the familiar rough heath that blankets most of the kingdom. Emelle points to where a spiked wooden barricade stands across the road, bleached and dilapidated by the weather, and creaking at the touch of the breeze.

"That's where we're supposed to turn back," Emelle says. "Does anyone know why?"

As a group you (Historical lore (3+1 = 4)) recall that the Barrows are a kind of tomb-city contructed by the Yltriyans, (Ill-tree-yuns) a long time ago, to hold the dead after some curse befell them. It's forbidden territory on the account that the cursed Yltrian dead have a habit of rising up when disturbed, sometimes in huge numbers if larger sepulchers are breached, either by fortune hunters or from the natural degredation of age, or from the rumbling of Mt Firikon.

Emelle bobs her head and shrugs. "Eh. Close enough. Not all correct and the full tale's a bit darker in truth, but I'm not here to spout history. You know what you need to. The point is this: Past here we're outlaws. If you see anyone, it'll be roadwardens, looters, or pale wandering Yltriyans that wanna warm their hands in your guts. So if you see anything, -anything- sing out."

Emelle nods to Loarn and he pulls the cart around the barricade.

"It's time to get sharp, too." She unrolls a bundle that has been riding next to her the entire trip to reveal a mechanical double crossbow. She cranks the collapsible arms open fully and rests it upright off of her hip. "Nobody we meet out here is liable to be our friend, but if they see we've got claws they may leave us alone, so if you've got steel you may as well show it."

You keep your eyes peeled (Scouting (??+0)=??) but aside from a few cagey and elusive jackrabbits, see nothing.

As you continue, you notice the heath is broken more and more often by piles slabs of rock; grey, pitted stones which you quickly realize the remains of walls, broken down by time and it seems deliberate action at some point. Looking ahead, you can see these structures are far more numerous, and far more intact, as though whoever had once begun to tear down these buildings down realized the futility of their task and turned back. The thought makes it difficult not to ruminate on your own weariness. (Full day's travel on foot, -1 Morale)

As the sun dips, Emelle points Loarn off the road and you travel another half-mile further and then make camp inside the roofless shell of a half-collapsed Yltriyan building. The inside appears to be stripped of everything of value; the only objects remaining being large stone vaults, all of which have had their lids cast off or crushed in. The floor has been submerged by about a half-foot of dirt and grasses.

"I'm sure you can tell these weren't houses." Mirelle says, setting her pack down on the stone-slab floor. "They're mausoleums. All of them. They used to be filled with the wealth of the entombed, but diggers've had half a millennium to pick everything over. In order to do more than just scrape and starve you have to go where nobody else has been, or find what everybody else has missed." She pulls a sack of supplies and a coalgas stove down off the wagon and starts preparing some kind of stew.

"Good first day!" Emelle opines from her wagon, where she apparently intends to stay for the duration of the trip. "We'll have plenty of time tomorrow to get where we're goin, and get what were gonna get. You boys make sure you eat up.. You're going to need to be on your toes tomorrow."

The stew, when it's ready, is simple but filling, and hot enough to warm you against the falling temperatures as you slip into your sleeping bags. (+1 Morale) Loarn, apparently indefatigable, offers to take the first watch, and Mirielle the second.

----
(( Just a long narrative section for this part, no fightan or real decisions to make. Feel free to talk or ask questions. Will continue automatically once I've taken care of the other groups. ))

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Slid Viscous
~~
Alright, where am I? Did I show up in time??

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Gharoch the Volatile posted:

[020$][20/20HP][03/03MP][MOVE:07]
[00ATK][00DEF][00VIT][00MEC][01MAG]
[0MA][0RA][0Armor][01Rec][01Inf][01Res][01Morale]
"Gerald, help keep lookout would you?
"sure thing bozz"
-----
Gerald flutters around the camp, sipping soup, jumping at some of the more curious fauna.
Gharoch, meanwhile settles in to rest. A good time as any to take stock of things.
The job, for example. Not much, but the doors it would open held more value than the material reward, whatever it might end up being.
Helpful, given the Circle wasn't always...
Gharoch shook their head.
It wouldn't matter, not for a while yet.
The crew then?
Not their first barrow, to be sure. Likely not their second or third, either.
Interesting folk, though for obvious reasons not ones to take note of.
Shrug.
For now, they would take some time to sketch the building.
More records of old structures could hardly hurt, if not likely to be new information.
Something, perhaps, to stuff other, more valuable documents with. That's the trick.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
==== [Vermik Trapping For the Arena] ====

The group gets underway early in the morning, meeting with Remmvi, Tarna and their wagon by the Eastgate. The wagon is piled high with empty cage traps and little else.

"It is not being a far journey." Remmvi remarks, "We should be being back in time for dinner."

Tarna grabs the wagon's handles and jerks the cart into motion. Remmvi chatters nearly the entire time about seemingly anything that crosses her mind, exhibiting a pronounced streak of dark humor. Tarna seems to enjoy the Tuk's verbal meandering and responds from time to time, but in general lets Remmvi have the floor.

A few miles east of the city Tarna pulls the wagon off into a rutted side road that goes off into lightly wooded, hillish country. From there it is another two or so hours following the winding path until Tarna finally lets the carthandles out of her grasp. Standing nearby is a delapidated stone building that appears to be some kind of long-abandoned temple. It is modest in size though generous in height and ornamentation. (Divine Lore 4+0=4) Whatever divinity it was once dedicated to is unknown. The structure was built on a natural rise, with one side collapsed to form a steep bank.

"Here we are!" Remmvi clicks her teeth. "Weren't expecting a church, were you? I wonder what kinds of beasts we are finding inside?" Remmvi chuckles and begins unloading cages from the wagon, motioning for you to help. The cages are moved from the wagon to a space near the collapsed hillside beneath the chapel and set up in front of an earthen tunnel that leads deep into the hill.

"This is being their back exit," Remmvi explains, her voice low. "Narrower than the front so easier to put traps. Okay stay back, Tarna and I are doing the next part." Over the course of about an hour the pair rig up the capture traps, spring loaded wire cages with wide mouths on either end that snap closed when a panel in the center is depressed.

When the work is done Tarna takes a seat by the traps, and Remmvi rejoins you.

"It is looking good!" Remmiv clicks her teeth, grinning. "Are you ready to earn your shine? Main entrance is being in that church there! We go that way and flush them through to the traps. DO NOT hurt Vermik, kill everything else that is coming after us. Screechers are only lasting so long, so it's best to be moving a bit quick. Ooh, here!"

Remmvi reaches into a satchel and thrusts an armful of Screechers at Witchlily. "No need to be saving these, Witchii!" It is unclear whether 'Witchii' is the result of Remmvi's unusual accent or an attempt at a pet name. "Use 'em all! If you need more I am having plenty."

Remmvi clicks her teeth again and leads you all into the church. The inside is barren and dirty, and thick with the smell of animal spoor. Refuse, gnawed branches and mounds of dried and dead grasses cover the floor.

Even as your eyes adjust to the lower light you hear scrabbling along the floor, accompanied by a smear of motion.

Remmvi hisses and overhand pitches a Shrieker towards of of the moving shapes. The device emits a thin sound like a dog whistle amidst the hiss of compressed air being released, and the Vermik that had turned towards the group are driven back out of it's range, towards a large hole that has been tunneled down through a collapsed section of the floor.

"We are having lively ones already!" Remmvi cheers. "But Ay! Those beetles are not being stopped by screechers, so shoot them!"

quote:

(Creature Lore 4+0=4)
The insects are Digger Beetles, very large but slow insect that primarily eat fungus, roots and the occasional carrion. They are not extremely aggressive but will attack anyone who draws too close to their liking. They are protected by chitinous plates, but this natural armor is actually rather soft and cannot very well resist the bite of metal weapons. Besides their shells and mandibles, they have no other significantly dangerous attributes.

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 24, 2023

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Slid Viscous

Move 1N, 1E, fire 6e to northmost beetle

vorebane fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 24, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Korrigath

The Tuur enthusiastically listened to Remmvi's patter on the way down, Tarna's interjections as well, taking copious notes in his Intavatni sigil-book. Once at their destination, after jotting down the distinctive features of the ruined temple, he eagerly and cheerfully got to work unloading and placing the traps, watching carefully during the process of activating them and noting that down too.

Then, to business. With the human Slid taking the north side, Korrigath headed south and closed into wand range.

Intavatni devotion, prior to start: Scribe about Remmvi, Scribe about Tarna, Scribe about active capture trap.

Move 2S 4E.
Bzowt Wand (+2 bonus, -1MP) at Beetle 3E 2N.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Bobby Jack - Barrows Campsite

Bobby-Jack ate his stew without complaint, or a whole lot of any visible emotion really, his spoon traveling between the bowl and his stubble-riddled face with an almost metronomic rhythm. He'd been through extended Simple Stew periods before, it's not as if banditry was high-paying or stable when it came to funds unless you got lucky, and often times were relatively lean.

Still.

The faster he could afford a decent ale again, and maybe a cut of roast, the better.

During the time he spent not-savoring the decently good and filling yet quite unexciting stew, he took quiet stock of his current compatriots. Emelle seemed to be quite well in the know, though it still remained unclear how much of her talk about being a local big shot was actually true and how much of it was embellishment. Still, he was relatively confident it had some kernel of truth to it, and this job didn't seem like a scam either. He didn't see her daughter drop any poison in the stew, at least. Speaking of whom, Mirielle seemed to have a pretty good head on her shoulders too. The tuur was seemingly of similarly pragmatic bent. Easy enough people to work with.

It was the other trio he could recall seeing at the Broad Boards (small world, huh?) that drew most of his suspicions. Well, two thirds of it to be exact, the rootkith was alright in his book, kept mostly to himself and spoke little. But as per the other two, well... one of them was carrying a knife, but it was fairly obvious by his brass knuckles and the way he moved that he preferred his fists. Not the first time that Bobby-Jack had worked with a self-appointed martial artist (the constant sermons about 'achieving bodily perfection' still rang in his mind to the degree that he was almost happy the lass got cut down by a caravan guard's halberd), and by his reckoning anybody that chose to use their fists over actual weapons in a real fight had to be somehow addled in the head, whatever their motivation to do such a strange thing might be. By far the worst of the lot though was the two-bit magus walking around with some minor bound (well, Bobby-Jack sure as hell hoped it was bound) hellion. Now, Bobby-Jack didn't know a whole lot about magic, but he did know that the stories involving it and binding hellions never tended to end well for anyone.

He sighed. Be, as it may, he wasn't exactly in a position to pick and choose his compatriots at this point in time. He rose to his feet, fixed his bandanna back on his face, and walked to Mirielle, who was still tending the cooking pot at this point. He took a look at the supplies, mostly cheap veg, but a few tins of preserved meat from an imperial cannery had also been used.

"Hey", he greeted the young woman with a nod, "Mind if I take those cans there and set up some simple perimeter alarms?"

"I find it easier to catch shut-eye with them in place."

He scratched his chin idly.

"Old habit, you understand."

Theantero fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 25, 2023

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Ruined Temple, Inside
Mission Theme

She chimes in when spoken to, but not much chatter is won off her on the road over. Instead, those blue eyes wander the land. Away from companions fresh and employer loquacious, down the road and to its sides, up towards distant hills and horizons, lingering briefly from time to time on the architectural marvel of the life-giving aquaducts. Only travelers and farmers, vagabonds and wagoneers, outriders and such can be seen as they go further from town. No open threats faced, yet she keeps guard nonetheless, and a strung bow. A sort of wisdom, hard won. When they arrive she performs duties without complaint and enters the ruins in a fair mood, for her, loaded down with Remmvi's gadgets.

As the tuk lets fly she steps up next to the other human as she slots a bolt behind the crossbow's string and its catch, forming a firing line of two. The chittering shapes that seek to protect their nest are faced with half a wince - her ears are better than most.

"A sound to make yon teeth buzz, don't it," she mutters, before pressing the old crossbow into the nook of her shoulder for better aim. She leans into the force to come and depresses the trigger, keen for a shot to impress.

Move 2N, 1E
Shoot Beetle straight east

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Percy Delawney posted:

"Should my skills not stem the putrefaction it is unconscionable to further risk this household."

Moet's mouth stretches downward at the edges at Percy's offer to attempt to quell the infection in his leg, but he nods his assent.
"Believe it's set in too deep for magical remedies, but take your shot, little 'un."

As usual, the rote is nearly invisible and soundless. Moet straightens his leg out a little with a grimace of pain, and after a few moments shakes his head. "Not much to be done about infection, short of calling a physician, and I already done that.. But thanks for trying. Lesson to learn here is to properly take care o' your hurts in the first place so they don't wind up like this." He spits off to the side.

(( Moet's infection is fluff outside the bounds of the game's mechanics, so the kind of malady he currently has won't effect Brinn or you, though you will receive regular toxin from Vermik attacks. If you wanna revote on taking Brinn go ahead, currently it's a 'naw'.))

Seauffer posted:

"Mister Moet, do you know if there is a way to ensure the Vermik won't return, without killing every last one?"
Moet shakes his head. "Impossible to get rid of 'em entirely; Everyone gets two or three in a year. They're easy enough to just shoo off with dogs or to shoot. They don't get mean 'nless they're nesting. ..But numbers like this I haven't seen before. Dangerous. Just whittle 'em down to a manageable level, that should be enough."

Moet tucks his crutch under his arm and moves towards where the stream cuts through the farm's land, and points across. Three tall storage sheds stand nearby, alongside swathes of wheat going back a hundred yards.

"They have one big nest in the easternmost shed, at least seven or eight of 'em in there. You can find the rest in the fields. They tend to stick to the north end near the nest, so there's no need to search the whole thing. They hide in the wheat, though, and you probably won't see 'em till they're ready to bite ya. So be careful."

Moet scratches his chin a moment. "Oh one last thing; Right when this all started, when I was unlocking the southwestern shed, I got startled by a Vermik that came up behind me, dropped the key trying to get to my crossbow and accidentally locked the damned key inside." He shakes his head in disgust. "..If there's anything any of you can do about that, I'll pay you a little extra." He looks between the assembled outriders. "Kinda don't seem like there's much you can do, though. That's fine, I'll just call the locksmith once this is over."

He takes a deep breath. "Suppose that's it, then. I'll take my family back inside the house to stay out of your way. Good luck to you. And thanks."

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===== [ CLEARING THE CISTERNS ] =====

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cistern waters are still and cool, and as Kocho can somehow sense as she dives in, the deep parts are VERY deep. The hole in the center of this chamber plunges downward into darkness, and the floor of the pool seems like natural stone, implying that this subterranean chamber existed naturally, and the walls and floors were added in after the fact to shore things up.

As the sigil of Nauvuan is immersed in the waters and as Kocho begins her prayer, it might only be her imagination or the delight of being submerged, but the tiny artifact seems to shine in the glow of the luminator wire just a little more than should be expected.

Penelope picks up the toolbox and finds it's stamped-metal sides painted with rust but full of basic but useful and solidly forged implements.

((Sooo. Going a bit away from RAW where it comes to devotion gain and sort of manually adjusting things so it is more in line with the original idea for it, which is that it ought to take some amount of time and dedication to get to where the conclave is willing to give you a real relic. (In Kocho's case, credit was given for this part of the current area, there are more places around here to take dips in.) Also per a discussion in the discord, normal prayers do not grant devotion, but the other methods of piety gain for a diety will work. I will be recodifying this all later, Sorry. This is one of the many undercooked sections of the divine ruleset, it's going to get worked out as we go. :/ ))

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Percy Delawney - Scourge of the Pasturelands

"May I suggest a companion of, ah, the less mortal variety to flush these septic critters from their cereal cover? Observe!"

Move: 1S 6E 2N
Act: Cast Sentry Spark 1E 3S

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 6, 2023

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Seauffer Leuppah - [ SCOURGE OF THE PASTURELANDS ]

While the farmer Moet limped towards the river and resumed his Vermik warnings to the rest of the group, the farmer's son Brinn helped Seauffer Leuppah get situated with the crossbow she'd accepted from them on loan.

"Thankya Brinn," Seauffer whispered to the young man, after he'd quickly pointed out to her the crossbow's basics. "Think we'll be gettin' on fine now thanks t'yer help. Just watch after yer dah' an sis fer now, an' let us handle these nasty beasties makin' a mess of yer livelihood."

The Dustons gave their fond farewells to Seauffer and her teammates and then the farmers returned to the relative safety of their house, to let their armed and armored visitors advance across the bridge towards the Vermik plaguing their farmland.

In stepping across the stream, Seauffer noted a certain distinct change in the atmosphere. The birds were strangely muted, and the scents of the crops in the earthen fields were mingled with something else beyond the wetness of the brook, something unsettling, like a faint, unsavory decay...

The mage-tuk Percival DeLawney took initiative and started setting up a defense perimeter with some novel-looking summoning rote, which inspired Seauffer to draw her own weapon and take action.

Light glinted off of Seauffer's steel as her sword rang from leaving its scabbard, and the flash of the sun's fiery brilliance sent a thrill down the tuk girl's spine. She would have to kill to protect others' lives today, and that spark of blinding whiteness from a power above was only the preamble.

Seauffer:
> Action: Use Residuum to cast Lightfoot for free!
> Move: S3, E1, S3, E2, S1, E1.
> StatCheck: Seauffer should have RA=1 from Duston Farm Crossbow. Thanks!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Chase shrugged as both mages darted out in front. He called after them good naturedly. "And we're off to the races! Last one bitten by a Vermik is a rotten egg."

Chase stuck to the paths for now. Even the parts of a farmer's fields not currently being farmed were often important to their livelihoods, providing grazing for the chickens and other animals.

E1 S3 E3

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"'s a good trick right there. Ought to flush out a few, if they startle at light."

Silver Jenny makes her way carefully (and a touch slowly -- she lacks either the magic or the light garb of her faster companions) towards the edge of the fields, taking a central position on the path to be able to intercept any flushed-out beasties. Hopefully these things would startle easily and make this a simple process...

Move: 3S, 4E

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Nell

Nell paws through the toolbox, not entirely sure what everything in it is for but impressed with the overall quality. "Gosh, Barrican thinks of everything! I'm so glad to be able to do a job for them!"

She closes the toolbox and starts working the sluice controls. Hopefully she won't need the tools just yet.

Move: E1 N4
Action: opening and closing the Sluice Control

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kocho glides happily out of the cistern and settles on to her coiled tail, taking up watch while Nell does complicated-looking things with the sluice controls.

MOVE 2E 1N

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

"South looks clear.”

Daeron takes up guard while Nell works the sluice.

Orders:

Move 4E,2N. if hostile target appears at range, use wand.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Xelek

There was no response to Xelek's praise. It was unsurprising--he was unworthy, after all, and had not yet shed even a single drop of blood to show his faith. But the gods were due their obeisance regardless of reward. The sluice was being handled by the minotaur, who seemed to understand the workings of such things. But Xelek had never been close to Intavatni--or whoever it was that commanded such knowledge. Instead, he moved forward to do what he knew he was there for--he threw open the door, ready to face whatever laid beyond it.

"Come," he nodded to Kocho "There will be more sacred waters further in."

N3 E2, Open Door

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[ ===== TREASURE HUNTING AT THE BARROWS ===== ]

Bobby Jack posted:

"Hey", he greeted the young woman with a nod, "Mind if I take those cans there and set up some simple perimeter alarms?"
"I find it easier to catch shut-eye with them in place. Old habit, you understand."

Mirielle shrugs, peering out into the falling night. "Be my guest. Usually not hard to pick out anything man-sized out there, but some of the creepy-crawlers are easy to miss. Here," She moves to the wagon and fishes around for a moment in the supply bags before coming up with a length of thin twine. "-if this helps any. Just don't forget to get some sleep, long day tomorrow and we start early."

The evening passes (Scouting ??+0 = ??) with no unusual events and Emelle rouses everyone as the glowing edge of the sun's corona begins to lighten the horizon.

"Up! Up! Let's go! I'm the only one who gets to lay around all day! We can eat while we walk."

Instead of heading back to the road Emelle directs the group further west across untracked ground, and for the first time Loarn shows a bit of strain in his pulling. It quickly becomes apparent the day's destination is a distant cluster of far-off structures, denser and taller than the ruined, house-sized mausoleums you now pass every few hundred yards. Were it not for the lack of rising smoke or any other sign of life, you might take it for a normal city.

"North Barrows." Mirielle says, pointing in your direction of travel. "Scholars say it was a trade city, before everything. I'm sure someone knows the original name, but not me."

As the sun rises higher, (scouting ??+0 = ??) Darcy catches the barest smudge of movement in the far distance in the direction of travel, close to a mostly-intact Yltriyan mausoleum. Emelle halts the caravan immediately and spends a long minute peering at the spot through a collapsible spyglass.

"Can't really see anything but moving shadows. Probably diggers though, picking something over." She scowls. "We'll give 'em a wide berth, hope they're too busy to see us passing, and jink a bit so we don't lead them to our find. Adds a couple hours to our trip." She spits off the side of the wagon in disgust. "Better we saw them though, good eyes. They were right on our path."

The group makes a 90 degree detour for a time before cutting back west, keeping the occupied barrow a distant smudge. Emelle regularly surveys it with her spyglass, swaying with the motion of the wagon, until it is finally safely behind.

"Don't think they saw us," she reports. "But I'll keep an eye out."

By now the ancient mausoleums you travel by are numerous and mostly intact. All seem to be made of the same weather-bleached grey-white stone, and all lack windows. In place of doors are huge stone slabs, all of which have been broken in or shattered, exposing cold and dark interiors filled only with stone vaults. Moss and climbing vines engulf walls and invade through the breached doors.

In some places, traces of an ancient road lay exposed where the sediment and plant matter has failed to fully cover them. Unlike the straight lines of a proper city's causeways, these meander crookedly through a haphazard placement of buildings, as though there was no true plan when constructing this place.

Emelle seems to know where she is going, despite directing the group in a path even more crooked and convoluted than the roads. You notice yourself crossing over your own path multiple times, but assume this is Emelle's attempt at leaving a confounding trail for anyone who may be following, and perhaps even obfuscating the final position from you.

At length however, she calls a halt before a large mausoleum. It is well decorated and mostly intact, though collapsed partially in the rear. In front of it's smashed-down doors stand two marble pillars, on top of which twin statues stand. One only has its lower half and the other has been decapitated, though one arm is still raised to the sky.

"Well, here we are!" Emelle grins as Loarn lets the wagon handles out of his hands at last. "Don't worry, it's more promising that it looks, or so says my adventurous daughter."

Mirielle sniffs and tosses her hair. "I can promise it's been untouched, but that's all. That usually means plenty of shine, though."

"In any case," Emelle continues, "You four are to go ahead, clear the way, and my daughter will show you which way to go. She and Loarn are there to pick, not fight, so they'll stay behind you. I'll be out here, keeping the wagon from floating away. I can take care of myself, but if you hear this-" She holds up a tiny silver stick-whistle on a chain around her neck. "Then come back, quick as you can."

Peering into the dimness of the mausoleum, your notice several squirming, wormlike shapes within the interiors moving slowly, apparently unaware of your arrival.

quote:

Creature Lore (7+0)
You recognize these as Woodeater Grubs. These insects are often found in caves, ruins, or other damp, shaded environments. They feed on carrion as well as decaying vegetable matter. They are communal and aggressive but have very poor senses, and can be easily avoided simply by keeping one's distance.

[HP:12][Armor:00][Move:04][XP:04]
Aggros within range 5.
When killed, each releases a burst of toxic gas.

"Hark up there." Loarn's voice is used so infrequently it comes as almost a surprise. "In the statue's hand." The Tuur points to the more intact of the two statues. Following his finger you notice a small object is held in the statue's upraised hand, glinting softly on the sunlight. It's high and out of reach, but the statue itself looks like it ought to provide some useful natural handholds.

quote:

OPTIONAL
Spend an action to try to climb up the statue and pry out whatever it is holding. (Climbing check, Difficulty 7). On a failure you slip, and receive a minor injury which will reduce your Morale by 1. You can also choose to attempt this after leaving the Mausoleum, (assuming you don't have to flee) and/or continue to attempt this challenge until you succeed.

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 8, 2023

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Darcy Landown
Treasure Hunting

Sighting up at the statue that Loarn pointed out, Darcy meandered over to it and tested a few handholds before putting a firm grip on one he liked the feel of.

"Aight, gimme just one second I'll be up and at this, hyup!"

Back in his bad old days before he found 'his way' Darcy used to do a lot of clambering and climbing up walls, rooftops and fences for a variety of reasons. Sometimes for fun, sometimes to evade trouble, do that enough times without slipping on loose roof tile and cracking your head open on the cobblestones and you tend to get good at it. This crumbling old bit of stonework was an easy enough jaunt up to the top of to check what goodies it had.

Move: Move to the statue with the mystery item
Order: Attempting to climb up and grab the item with my Climbing 1. 1d10+1 = 7 Success!

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 9, 2023

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
==== [Vermik Trapping For the Arena] ====

"Hssssssst!!! Be going! Go!" Remmvi pitches another shrieker that sends the Vermin scattering out through the tunnel. The Digger Beetles hold their ground, unbothered by the noise. However as the first crossbow bolts thunk into their armor carapaces they turn, holding their claws protectively in front of their heads as they drag their heavy bodies towards the shooters.

One closes in on Korrigath with surprising speed, but at the moment of striking one of it's feet slides on on a split floor tile and it awkwardly stumbles, falling onto its front.

Slid >--> Digger Beetle (7)(+1RA)(-2 armor)(6 damage)
Korrigath ---o Digger Beetle (5)(+2Bonus)(-2Armor)(5 damage)
Witchlilly >--> Digger Beetle (8)(+1RA)(-2 Armor)(7 damage)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Digger Beetle >>>> Korrigath (1) ::automiss::

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Slid Viscous

Move W2, fire on northmost beetle

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Korrigath

The Tuur deftly placed his hoof on the tripped beetle to hold it in place, devotional journal at the ready in a flash, as he wrote swiftly about the vicious if clumsy insect in that which was his sigil to Intavatni.

"Feel free to take a shot at it, this is just a religion thing," he called over the screamers to the others, "Or leave it to me later."

Intavatni devotion: Scribe about beetle NW

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Ruined Temple, Inside
Mission Theme

'Go', goes the cry and another shrieker. With practiced care and the creak of string she reloads and cocks her head at the order. These marks are slow and easy prey, so to hare on in seems rushed. Plunge past the Digger nest and get bottled up with a denful of angry vermik while agitated beetles block any hope of quick exit should things go awry?

But Remmvi holds the paypurse and she's been in worse spots besides. When her next volley strikes she does not even check to see if the Digger dies, moving fast. It's a quick sprint for her to get past the Tuk and the struggling - scribing? - Tuur where she finds the entrance to the Vermik den.

"Shoo," she suggests at the beetle she also finds, lingering beside the second noisemaker as if wondering what to make of the device.

Shoot Beetle 3E: 1d10+1 6
Move S3, E6, N1

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Gharoch the Volatile posted:

[020$][20/20HP][03/03MP][MOVE:07]
[00ATK][00DEF][00VIT][00MEC][01MAG]
[0MA][0RA][0Armor][01Rec][01Inf][01Res][01Morale]

"Hm."
"So, how are we going to do this; charge in, start shooting grubs until we don't see further movement?"

Darcy Landown posted:

Order: Attempting to climb up and grab the item with my Climbing 1. 1d10+1 = 7 Success!
"woo, get that loot"
"...Gerald?"
Gerald jerks back from the statue, irritably brought to attention.
"yeah what"
"Do you have any ideas?"
"charge in, start shooting grubs until-"
"Better ideas?"
"nope"
Gharoch sighs.
"Don't know why I asked." "same"

"I'll just... get closer, take a better look."
"Gerald, think you can handle dictation?
"now that I can do, bozz""

Move: E1 S2 S1
Action:[Scribe: Woodeater Grub(s)]

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

At first, the only sounds are the gentle murmur of the creek and the similarly soft sighs of the breeze brushing through the tall stalks of the field. It hardly seems dangerous, and it might even be a little difficult to keep one's guard up amidst the pastoral mundanity.

As the group fans out along the lanes of the field however, there comes a strange feeling of anxiousness. And then the hissing starts.

Two Vermik leap up to attack Percival's sentry spark, passing entirely through it as they try to tear at it's immaterial form with their teeth, succeeding only in shredding away some of it's arcane essence.

Further south, a rustling in the wheatstalks announces the arrival of more, bursting out from concealment with gaping jaws and small, sharp nails. Flecks of spittle fly from their jaws as the hiss like a forge's bellows, and the stench from their mouths is like an open latrine pit. The mere act of them getting close enough to attack is enough to make your stomach buck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vermik >>>> Sentry Spark (3)(-0 armor)(3 damage)(+1 Toxin)(Immune)
Vermik >>>> Sentry Spark (5)(-0 armor)(4 damage(Capped))(+1 Toxin)(Immune)
Vermik >>>> Seauffer (1*)(-2 armor)(1 damage(min))(+1 Toxin)
(*Not a nat 1 but was reduced to a minimum of 1 by a negative MA)
Vermik >>>> Silver Jenny (2)(-3 armor)(1 damage(min))(+1 Toxin)