Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

================================================================================
================================ EMBERS OF AILIA =================================
================================================================================

Embers of Ailia is a forum-based Tactical RPG featuring a west-marches style campaign.

The game runs on a homebrew system based on a previous roguelike-inspired game, Die in the Depths, and features a classless progression system.
You define your character's capabilities through a combination of Attributes, Gear, Talents and Proficiencies.

A number of active parties will be adventuring simulteneously, with the remaining players awaiting their turn in a sort of hub town.
Characters that are not adventuring can take part in noncombat events and upgrade their gear and abilities.
Both during adventures and while in the Hub area, characters choices and actions can alter the setting for everyone.

The game is play-by-post. Rounds occur once per day on weekdays with breaks for weekends and holidays, and significant slowdowns around the last week of every month.

Players will have ~24 hours to respond to GM posts. Players can do their own rolls on Orokos but the GM will roll for anyone who can't/doesn't want to. The GM handles updating the map and character statblocks.

======================================================================================
===== ROLEPLAY / STORY SHAPING =========================================================
======================================================================================

The game is designed for players to effect the setting and the NPCs that occupy it through their actions (or inactions) and decisions. What your character does, what they say, and how they say it are functionally important in the game. In the interest of speed, story decisions available to a party are boiled down to a CYOA-style multiple choice vote among party members, but players are always free to to propose something more nuanced if they desire.

Players can give their characters goals, story arcs, or other defining features, which the GM will try to incorporate into the setting and narrative as best they can, and develop special opportunites or scenarios specifically for that character when possible.

For best results with this system you might want consider making a character that is congruous with the setting and is motivated towards certain goals. (and let the GM know what those goals are.)

If you have never tried roleplay before this game is designed to be a good place to give it a first shot, and if you are an experienced roleplayer, there should be room here to flex your muscles.

=========================================================================================
===== WORK IN PROGRESS ==================================================================
=========================================================================================

Please note that while the game has been playtested to extent made possible by my free time and sanity, it is a big game with a lot of facets, many of which have been sketched in but not fully explored or tested, especially at higher levels. This is very much a live beta. Changes will undoubtedly be needed mid-stream for balance and other reasons.
Please be accepting of any alterations that are made.

===== GET STARTED =======================================================================

Please read the game rules > > HERE < < before you begin.

Don't panic! There is a lot of information available, but you only really need to read [SECTION 1:DOWNTIME], [SECTION2: COMBAT], skim [SECTION 3: COMBAT SUPPLEMENTAL] then [MAKE A CHARACTER].

You may also want to look at the [LORE IN A NUTSHELL] page to get a crash course on the setting.

Returning DITD players can check [here] for the most important new changes to the system and the best way to get caught up from there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Discord channel called 'Sprites-n-Fites' is commonly used for coordination and discussion: https://discord.gg/DmZaXp76
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===================[ BARRICAN ]===================
Barrican is the last true Imperial city on the northwesten border of the Wildlands.

Its high walls shelter multitudes of tradesmen, merchants, scholars, mages, travelers, laborers, soldiers, and outriders that call this city their home.

And now you.
Whatever brings you here, from today Barrican is your home as well.

----

Once through its gates, the city seems somehow larger than from the outside.
Row upon row of high-sided buildings press together, lining a maze of streets that run crooked and curving through the city.

All the city's landmarks are visible above the rooftops.

The Silver Archive tower rises like a shining spike near the outer walls, and the even-taller Soltower stands closer to the city center, magenta light glinting from the lenses at it's peak even during the day.

The huge marble dome of the Divine Conclave exudes smoke and incense, and the massive scarlet canopy above the open-topped Barrican Arena ripples in the breeze.

Barrican Keep crouches behind it's own wall, a brooding fortress that hunches over the city, almost a city unto itself.

Bridgelike aqueducts arch over the roofs of the buildings, bringing clear water from distant Highmere to slake the city's unending thirst.

----

At length you arrive in a secluded cul-de-sac where the road runs back on itself.
In the circular space at the center, an unexpected garden grows.
A copse of trees is footed by tall wild bushes and heath grass, dreamily incongruous with the surrounding city.

As you draw closer, a tall, bark-skinned figure in the middle of the green space turns towards you.

"Ah... Hello." The rootkith smiles gently, bending gracefully at the knee and neck to be more of a height with you.
She speaks in slow, airy sentences, as though taking the time to taste each syllable.

"New here, are you? You've found my little garden... Be welcome... Put your burdens down for a minute, if you like."

She gestures to a simple bench nearby, made of three rough-carved stones.

"I'm Mameri. Welcome to the Boroughs... How do I know you're new? ...Well.. Newcomers always have a certain, lost look about them... I see it... Quite often. ...Somehow they all seem to find their way here..."

Her liquid-green eyes glimmer with placid amusement.

"I take you for an Outrider, is that right...? An Adventurer, in other terms... Well, you've come to a good place, if so... There is much to do, here.. Many things happening... ...I'm certain I can help you find work, if you like. ...And a place to stay. I'm something of a ... community organizer, here.."

She bows her head modestly, the leaves of her hair rustling.

"Welcome... We can be friends, if you like.. Tell me about yourself..."

====================================================================================================
================================= CHARACTER SUBMISSIONS ARE OPEN! ==================================
Please read the manual and how to create a character. Post your character choices in this thread.
First downtime update will occur at the end of this week, and will include faction stores, adventure hooks, and events.
====================================================================================================

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
========================================
=========== NEWS AND RUMORS ============
========================================

The word overheard around Barrican. It may or may not be true, but it is what people are saying.

quote:

---------------------------
Empress' 10-year celebration
The Decennial Celebration of the coronation of Empress Ilona Augustine, held approximately two weeks ago in all corners of the central Imperial province was said to be spectacular, though accounts vary as to what the celebrations entailed and how long they lasted.

As an Imperial Regent, Barrican's ruler Artemias Weilan was expected to attend and has yet to return from the Imperial capital. His arrival is expected within the next week, sped along by the Imperial Rail. In the mean time, Barrican is ruled in his stead by his eldest daughter, Caelia.
A new war with the Dragon Kingdoms?
A warfront is soon to open between the Empire and the Dragon Kingdoms, or perhaps already has. Some believe this is merely an alarmist rumor, given life by irregular Imperial legion movements through the central empire, which themselves are explained by the Decennial of the empress Coronation.
Arena fights resume shortly
The yearlong prohibition on Arena combat is ending! After the tragic death of an arena fighter, all arena combat was suspended for the period of one year, but this time is nearly over. Many in the city are eagerly awaiting the resumption of the both the spectacular and tale-like Gladatorial battles, as well as the real grit and blood of Beastfighting. It remains to be seen wether the backcourt Gladatorial arenas that sprang up in the absence of the official battles will fade back into nothing, or continue to stage illicit fights.
----------------------------
A change of hands in Flotsam Bay
Three-hand Sammet, the now-former ruler of Wildlands tradeport of Flotsam Bay, has been ousted from his position as ruler of the city, apparently by a member of his own inner circle. While bloody, the change in power has not diminished trade, and in fact the fee for merchant captains docking in the bay appears to have decreased slightly.
Three Candles Celebration
Next week, the Three Candles Inn, a tavern owned by a former Chosen Man, celebrates the 15th anniversary of the Chosen Men's defeat of Raedos Khaas at Eldran Niaxos, and memorializes the loss of three of their number in that battle. This annual celebration is popular among Outriders.

==========================================
======= ENCOUNTERS =======================

quote:

DARCY LANDOWN
As you walk around the city, you feel a sudden bump against you and a folded scrap of parchment is thrust into your hand. You turn to see the culprit pad quickly away (tracking:7+0 = 7 vs. 6) and follow them quietly and quickly enough to get a hand around their wrist before they get out of your sight. The dust-covered pre-teen boy squirms in your grasp, but can't break free. "Leggo me!" He snarls, his voice breaking "I was jus' paid to pass th' message, I didn't take nothin' and I don't know nothin'!"

You take a glance at the paper still grasped in your other hand. Scrawled in charcoal across the page is the following message:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i hope you know better than to go to the conclave with niahain's sigil on you
when you think you are ready come to where the aqueduct leaves the western wall
arrive at sundown and wait till dawn
we will test your worth
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The urchin messenger wriggles like an eel in your grip, trying to wrest his arm from your hand in vain. "Leggo!"

quote:

(this vote is just for Darcy's player)
A: Release him immediately. There's nothing to be gained from holding him but trouble.
B: Question him. He must know -something- at least.
C: Turn him in to the watch. Maybe there's a reward on this brat. Or maybe just for a laugh.
D: Flip him a coin and send him on his way. A little goodwill could reap benefits later.
E: Shake him down for valuables. A lesson must be taught here.
F: Something else. Specify what. Since it's just you you can be as nuanced as you want.

quote:

SEAUFFER LEUPPAH

quote:

Months later, Seauffer Leuppah had finally arrived in Barrican's Boroughs in the present moment, just within earshot of the rootkith Mameri.
The curious squirrel-like humanoid glanced in almost every direction possible, suddenly (and unintentionally) sensing a new metaphysical weight on this present moment.
Mameri glances curiously in Seauffer's direction, tilting her head and observing the (comparatively) little Tuk's behavior.
"...Hello?" the Rootkith says at length. "...Do you need any help...? ...Anything?"

======= ADVENTURE OPPORTUNITIES ==========

((
A few notes about Opportunities:
+ Rewards are based on supposed difficulty AND how long/far the job will take you. But this is the questgiver's estimation, NOT necesarily how hard the adventure will actually be.
+ If you don't see a mission you like, don't feel like you have to sign up for one. (There will be encounters and other things to do in town, and you can always catch the next adventure, when one opens.)
+ The missions offered are based on the average level and renown of the playerbase. Right now you are at rock bottom, but as you progress you'll have access to more important tasks, or may even be able to start missions on your own prerogative.
))

quote:

quote:

[Scourge of the Pasturelands]
[$110 pot][+20 Boroughs Favor / +10 Barrican Boroughs Max Favor][3-4 Slots]
Mameri's eyes glitter and she bows her head in greeting as you approach, swaying slightly in the light breeze. "Oh well met, again... I've got something can please us both. A dear friend of mine, Moet... Has a farm about a day's motor-ride from the city. He's sent word he's got trouble with Vermik on his field. They are... Nasty little rat-dogs, if you have never heard of them. It appears... They are bad enough that the crops can't be brought in on account of them. I think someone like you... Could put a cure to this situation, if you wouldn't mind lending your arm to it. I have put together a pot with some of the others who know Moet... To split between whomever helps. ..And I've even convinced old Ayerty to lend his motorwagon to get you out there quick... Harvest is too important to miss. Think it over, but I hope you'll help if you can."

She smiles sunnily. "Now would you like an apple slice? I have them from a friend this morning... They're perfect... This time of year."

quote:

[Clearing the Cisterns]
[$90 pot][+20 Barrican Guard Favor / +10 Barrican Guard Max Favor] [+5 Boroughs Favor / +5 Boroughs Reputation] [3-4 Slots]
A notice posted in front of one of the nearby Barrican Watch stations reads:
[WORK NEEDED - NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY - PAID - INQUIRE WITHIN]
If you present yourself inside the busy station, you are directed to a Dranac guardsman behind a desk littered with binders and parchment. He looks you over for a moment, and then jerks his head in a quick nod. "All right. This should be an easy one. You familiar with the city cisterns? They need looking after every so often. Go to Number Twelve, by the westwall. You'll need this key to get in. Head in there, and you've got two jobs to do. First, if there's anything down there that shouldn't be, get rid of it. We get Monitors down there, sometimes Magnus rats. Shouldn't be a problem for you if you're careful and have a friend or two along. But take note, the Cisterns are -not- a sewer, they're an emergency water source. Don't leave any corpses floating in it, and don't use poisons.

Second part of the job; There's four sluice gates, you need to make sure those are still in working order. Just lower them and raise them again to make sure they aren't stuck. Don't forget you need to do all four. Oh. There's also a big pump-motor down here. -Don't- touch that. When you're done, come back here and report on what you found for your pay."

The Guardsman opens a drawer and paws at the jingling contents of it for a moment before coming up with a solitary iron key on a large ring. "Here you are."

quote:

[Vermik Trapping For the Arena]
[$90 pot] [+5 Boroughs Favor / +5 Boroughs Reputation] [+10 Arena Favor / +10 Arena Reputation] [3-4 slots]
Of the multitude of notices plastered near the Arena, some bear the following message:
HELP WANTED TRAPPING FOR ARENA BEAST FIGHTING
The Arena itself remains closed, but in front of the main entrance you see a Tuk woman leaning against the massive main door, conversing breezily with a Tuur. If you approach she perks up, ears quirking forward as she speaks in a heavy accent unusual for a Tuk. "Hey-o! You being here about the trapping? I'm in charge of that.. Don't fret, we've gotting it down to a science. Mostly what I'll be needing is for you to be keeping me safe while I be driving the critters into the traps. Though if you can be using devices, maybe you can be helping with the herding too. If not, it's not a problem. I'm Remmvi, this is Tarna." Remmvi points way, way up to Tarna, who bows her head shyly. "Tarna pulls the wagon and helps lay traps. You'll be helping too? I can be putting in a good word with Pitboss Kallivan, if you're doing a good job. Then maybe you can be shedding your blood against these very same vermik we be trapping, when the arena reopens." She clicks her teeth together with a jolly little wink, to let you know this is in supposedly good humor.

quote:

[Treasure hunting in the Yltrian Barrows]
[Pot: (depends on loot recovered) ] [+5 Boroughs Favor / +5 Boroughs Reputation][+5 Flint Street Favor / +5 Flint Street Rep] [3-4 slots]
A rugged-looking and solidly-built woman in her late 40's sitting atop a wagon whistles at you and waves you over as you pass along the street. "Outrider! Want to make a little pay?" She grins, showing off two gold teeth. If you accept she waits till you draw close before leaning down from the wagon to speak more privately. You notice she has a blanket thrown over both her legs, and judging by how she pulls her body over, you suspect she may not have the use of them. "I'm running a wagon down to the Barrows, goin' to do a little lookey lootey. Pay is a minor share of what we bring back. Now this ain't a waste of time; I have a solid line to an unspoiled barrow; never opened. I have my own crew to do the looting, just need a little steel along to make it safe while they work. We're leavin' tomorrow morn, should take 'bout two days; out, work, 'n back. What do you say? Oh.. and you'd know enough to keep quiet about our destination, right? You look a little new so I'll let you know; looting the Barrows is a shade outlawed. If that's a problem, you can just keep on movin' and no hard feelins'. But if not; let's make some good coin together, aye?" She shows her gold teeth again. "I'm Emelle, by the way. From the street down by the factories."
This last is said as though it has some significance.

========== CHARACTER DOCKS ==============
(( Please let me know if there are any inaccuracies. Some characters have recieves some additional rep. / items; this is a reward for helping with a small playtest earlier. Also Clove's talent was not added since you have to have the Rote in order to set up a quickcast for it. ))

==========FACTION STORES =======================
((
A few notes about stores:
+ There is some overlap between items in some stores. While the name may be different for flavor, Gear of the same Type and Tier is essentially identical in terms of stats.
+ Rep requitements and store contents are subject to change! Some new stores, or expansions of current store stocks, can be unlocked though certain events in the game.
+ Familiar types and familiar stats are likely to change, as mob stats become more dialed in as the game progresses.
))

The Boroughs is both a place and an organization, being one of Barrican's oldest neighborhoods as well as an informal network of merchants, tradesmen and individual citizens that coordinates projects for the benefit of the community and offer help when needed. You are expected to pay any assistance forward. Mameri, having lived in the Boroughs for over half of her century-long life, is a central figure there and privy to much of what goes on. A useful place for an Outrider to first make themselves known, as they provide most of the basic staples of adventuring life, and often have simple tasks that need doing.

A bastion of magical teaching in Barrican, this Silver Archive one of many established by the Silver Circle all over Ailia. If you need Rotes or magical training, this is where to seek either. Basic lessons are available free of charge, and simple Rotes at minimal cost. The Silver Circle promotes the peaceful and beneficial use of magic, outside of some forms of self defense. Teaching and use of the so called 'Red rotes' is expressly forbidden by the Archive.

The Barrican Armory is an industrialized smithy that produces arms and armor for Barrican's Watch, as well as House Weilan Troops and Imperial forces. It takes private commissions as well. Normal-quality arms and armor can be purchased by anyone, but more specialized goods require authorization. In some cases, people who assist the Watch or House Weilan's will be awarded Armory Vouchers for their services and are thus spared the high cost of purchasing heavy armor for themselves.

The Blackpeak Freeswords are a supplemental force hired by House Weilan to secure the lands around Barrican. It is an open secret that many of the Blackpeak company are wildlanders. Still, in the two years of their contract they have earned the trust of Barrican's people and the grudging respect of the Watch. They often have surplus jobs to parcel out to enterprising Outriders, and aren't above selling equipment and supplies to those they find reliable.

The Divine Conclave is a collective of religeous orders within the city, worshipping Elemental and Virtue Divinities. (Those seeking to worship the outlawed Vice Divinities, should look decidedly elsewhere, with few exceptions.) Rites and services of all kinds are performed here, and adherents often come to pray and offer their services to the faiths or to seek closer communion with their patron gods. Supplies are available for the faithful, and for those willing to dedicate their entire selves to worship of their deity, even divine relics can be obtained.

The Arcanis Armifex is an ancient and prestigious order of craftsmen that forges and enhances weapons, armor, and items using techniques that blend magical forces and martial objects. These arts were developed nearly 600 years ago to combat the original Hellion breaches. Their skills and knowledge can even to increase the potency of magic-bearing artifacts, including ones from antiquity. Barrican's Armifex chapter is considered one of the finest in the empire. By tradition, their wares and services are available to any who can bear the price.

The Mechanist Union is a conglomeration of affiliated mechanical manufactories and research workhouses in the factory district. Along with hundreds of other products and inventions, they design and sell tools and consumables useful for adventuring, and offer the facilities and expertise required for aspiring mechanists to upgrade their own tools and devices.

Flint Street is a shady group that operates from the eponymous street near the western gate factory district, and the surrounding blocks. Dabbles in smuggling, enforcement and 'retrievals'. They can be risky to associate with, but have or can get things you won't find elsewhere. Curious and unique objects find their way into the Flint Street's back alley auctions quite frequently, and they do not shy from selling dangerous wares to people they can't vouch for.

Barrican's Alchemist Enclave is a walled compound where the alchemical arts are practiced and researched. Alchemists are a mysterious, insular group that holds tight to their secrets and techniques. On certain days they open their doors to sell their brewings, and offer special Addatives that can enhance the effects of their more basic potions, for a bit of extra cost.

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 19, 2023

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
Quick update on mission rosters:

[Scourge of the Pasturelands]
Percival DeLawney
Camryn Chase
Seauffer Leuppah
Silver Jenny

[Clearing the Cisterns]
Nell
Kocho
Daeron Stormborne
Xelek

[Vermik Trapping For the Arena]
(Only Remmvi's silent tears are being here)

[Treasure hunting in the Yltrian Barrows]
Bobby-Jack
Gharoch
Darcy Landown
Clove

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

quote:

BOBBY-JACK

quote:

...But the gearwork's a bit noisy for my tastes. Do you work on commission, in case I'd want some muffling in there? Or if not, perhaps there's somebody else in the Union who does such work..?"
The mechanist at the counter does not look up from his work but halts in the middle of it, freezing for several long seconds.
"Maybe," he says at length, then snaps back to his work, using several long implements to keep tension to some kind of chain system as he removes some kind of part from inside the device.
"I'll see what I can do."

quote:

quote:

CAMRYN CHASE
"Say, I heard that he's set aside a fourth of his fields for Rootkith to rest in the past few years. Some folk say it's because he lost his heart to a willowy Rootkith and is hoping to earn her love; others say it's because he once mistook an sleeping Rootkith grandfather for a tree and chopped him down for winter firewood and is trying to make amends. Do you know if there's any truth to either tale?"
Mameri tilts her head curiously. "Are you certain... We have the same Moet? ...Mine has a wonderful wife, Analese... And between them a son..." She trails off for a moment, thinking. "Hm.. His name is gone..." Her face falls a little and it seems she is genuinely sad she can't remember the name. "...But, Moet's fields are all wheat... So I think perhaps... That we have two seperate ones... Or else.." She smiles. "...You simply like good stories..."

quote:

SEUFFER LEUPPAH
"I..." Seauffer started, searching to find the words, "I didn't know you could fit that much flavor in an apple! Thank ya kindly for opening my eyes today! You have a lovely garden, by the way... So, when was that motor-ride going to be setting out, y'think?" Seauffer asked, conversationally. "Don't mind gettin' my hands a li'l dirty helpin' out a friend, if it's needed."
"You are... Most welcome." Mameri says, pleased. She gently interlaces her fingers. "I have much time... and little to do with my hands, so the pruning comes easily. I believe.. That the wagon will be ready soon. ...In the span of a few hours, hopefully. Ayerty is usually very reliable... Once he's agreed to something."

quote:

WITCHLILY

quote:

"Bagged varmints afore. Reckon I could put some down if any got near ya - or herd 'em if y'all need me handling that sorta hardware." She pauses, for a moment unsure as to what to add. A slight frown of concentration. "Auntie was a blacktinker, said I had knack," she offers before Remmvi can cut in. Then, belatedly, adds, "Name's Witchlily. Huntress. Or Outrider, I s'pose. New in town."

Remmvi nods enthusiatically. "Welcome! Here, you think you can be handling these?" the Tuk pulls out a cylindrical device from a bandolier around her waist and tosses it in Witchlily's direction. At a glance it seems to be an air cylinder connected to a set of small tubular whistles, in all looking a bit like a miniature pipe-organ.

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screecher (Requires MEC)
May be thrown up to 4 squares away from the user. For 3 rounds, [Beast] type enemies within [MEC*2](max:8) squares of the Screecher that have an XP value less than [Tier*5 + MEC] will be forced to move out of it's area of effect (or as far away from the center as they can get) by a piercing noise that is mostly inaudible to humanoids. Some powerful creatures may be immune to this effect, or gain immunity to it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We enter a warren and be throwing these. All warrens have back door, and we will be setting up the traps there, so when beasties run they are winding up in traps. Only problem is being that not everything in the warren runs from Screechers. There are being grubs, spiders, and the like. Those we are having to kill. That's why you are being here, really. I throw- " She pantomimes tossing a Screecher. "And you shoot anything that is trying to eat me while I am doing that." Remmvi clicks her teeth, grinning. "Don't worry, it is being easier than it sounds. Except.. You are being taller than a Tuk and the Warren has a low roof.. It is good you are having a hat, or you are getting dirt in your hair.. It is a pain, I would know. ..And poor Tarna, she is knowing four times as much!" Remmvi bursts out laughing as the Tuur next to her sighs in patient indignation.

A moment later, Korrigath makes himself known.

quote:

"I say, would you mind awfully if I tagged along as well? Name's Korrigath, I've a little of the Art which might come in handy subduing or luring the targets, and I could certainly pitch in with the paperwork, recording the details of the specimens, even spotting Ms. Tarna with the wagon if desired. If absolutely necessary I could pound the beasts into submission, as well."
Remmvi moves forward and gives the newly-arrived Tuur a once-over. "If you were hearing what I was saying about a low ceiling earlier, and still want to be helping, then you're welcome to be joining us! ...So long as you can be defending yourself. And me."

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
Made some formatted portraits of our handsome boys and girls so I can show who's in a scene, feel free to use them yourselves if you want.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

quote:

quote:

Upgrade to three candles inn

You find the Three Candles easily enough from the large sign that hangs outside it's wide doorway. Slipping inside, you find yourself in a clean, bright common area, built to acommodate a crowd, though at this moment in the late afternoon there is only a pair of card players and large man snoring soundly at one of the tables.

Behind a standing-height counter set back from the door you spy (contemporary lore: 6+0) someone you believe you recognize from their description alone; Lienne, former member of the Chosen Men, and now owner of the Three Candles.

Her brow lifts from the parchment she is writing on as you enter for a single moment, and she holds up a gloved finger to forestall your words as she finishes writing in the ledger.

"All right." She sets her quill down and looks up to you. "How can I help you- Oh.. A countryman!" The polite smile on her face is replaced with one that is a shade more genuine as she recognizes you as a fellow Calleian. "Well met, welcome to Barrican and the Three Candles. Are you here for lodging? or-" She eyes your elaborate and ornamented crimson attire, "are you an entertainer?" She leans to the side a little to see if you are carrying an intrument, and in the process you catch a glimpse of the ebony-black stain that runs down her arm from nearly the shoulder, confirming your suspicion about her identity. Not seeing any kind of instrument she straightens back up and reflexively tugs her jacket more fully over her shoulder.

"Well, if you're looking to be in the Celebration, you're a bit early. But you're welcome to have a go when the time comes."

When you express your desire for a room and pay your gold, Lienne hands you a key and then passes you off to an attendant to show you to your room and get you settled in. As you are on your way out however, she lifts her head again from her bookeeping. "Keep it sharp," she says seriously, pointing a gloved finger at your sword. "Sollos watch you. Keep the fire of Calle in your heart."

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

quote:

quote:

"'Scuse me for asking ma'am, what exactly are we bringing steel to defend your blokes from, other 'barrow explorers'? I ain't exactly got much know-all of the region hereabouts to know what to expect."

Emelle sighs, shrugs, and spits off the side of the wagon. "Might be. We get jumpers every so often, but not too often. Keep your eyes peeled once we get off the main road and if you see anyone at all, sing out. I can say for sure that there'll be bugs and beasts living out in the ruins, so you can count on a few of those in our path. And in the sealed Barrow? Who knows. Hopefully a lot of shine, though.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===== [ SCOURGE OF THE PASTURELANDS ] =====

The trip to Duston farm is in fact somewhat pleasant. The miles flow by as the motor-wagon chuffs contentedly, riding smoothly over the timeworn, dust-choked roads that run through the pasturelands.

The motor wagon brakes to a gentle halt in front of the Duston farm. The farm is a simple thing, a modest home with a small garden, three small storeage sheds, and a sizeable field stretching off into the distance. A stream cuts between the house and the field, crossed by a wooden bridge.

The front door opens and a man emerges, supported by a wooden crutch. A woman and a young man follow him out the door. The young man holds a crossbow in a relaxed fashion.

"Hail! You're here about my crops? Thank the Virtues for you!"

The man crutches his way over, clearly in some amount of pain. "I'm Moet. These are Analese and Brinn, my wife and son." The woman curtsies gracefully while the young man nods his head respectfully and excitedly. He appears to be taking in your every detail.

"Let me lay it out for you," Moet says. "We've got a Vermik infestation, worse than anything I've seen. They're nesting in our southeast storehouse, and foraging in the north field. I can't get near the storehouse now, and they're so good at hiding in the crops that I can't see 'em until they're too close to use a crossbow on. Haven't got an idea about the number, but more than a dozen at least.. You see what they've done to me." He indicates his crutch. "Been attacked two or three times now. Their mouths are like cesspits, and now the bites are infected. So... Thank the Virtues you're here. I hate to rush you, but every day we lose is less crop we can get in, so I hope you can get started quickly. I have a few things that might be of use. My crossbow, a few bandages, and some of the ointment I use for the bites. Don't worry, I held back enough for myself. The crossbow I'll need returned. The rest you can use as you see fit."

(Grab anything you want out of here. Unlike faction stores, there is only 1 of each listed item)

The young man, Brinn, takes a step forward. "I can help too." He hefts a crossbow and pats a long knife in a leather sheath at his side.
"NO, you can't." Moet snaps back over his shoulder, in a tone of a man who's said the phrase too many times. "What you CAN do is stay out of their way while they tend to business."
Brinn's mouth bends down into a stubborn frown. "They're the ones who should say. They're doing the work. Maybe they'd appreciate the assistance."
Moet puts on a scowl and shakes his head. "I'm already drat near hobbled, boy, if you get injured too what'll we do then?"
"I'll stay well in the rear. Besides, you said yourself the faster this is done, the better off we'll be. It'll be faster with me helping."

quote:

A: Let Brinn Join. The more the merrier!
B: Decline Brinn's assistance. He could get hurt, or get us hurt.

<Optional> Ask for payment up front. (Mameri is paying you when you get back.. but Moet might not know that..)
((You can also ask Moet any additional questions you want. Actual mission will probably start tomorrow or soon after that.))

quote:

(Creature knowledge 3+1 = 4) (Errrffff... Bad first showing for this skill. a higher roll would have given you a few exact stats...) Vermik are [Beast] type creatures, that are very prevalent in the wild but also inhabit abandoned or derelict buildings. They are prone to building nests or warrens near abundant food sources. Usually nonagressive, they become viciously territorial when close to their warrens or nesting sites. They aren't particularly hardy or quick, but their bites are known to carry Toxin.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===== [ CLEARING THE CISTERNS ] =====

The entrance to Cistern #12 proves to be little more than a solidly-built stone gate built into the interior side of the westwall itself, crossed over with thick iron bars. A few broken old crates and cracked bricks have accumulated in front of it, but these are easily shoved to the side. The key fits easily into the lock and the heavy door is swung open, grating a little on un-oiled hinges.

You are on the verge of heading down when a voice calls out. "Xelek!"

((I know you said this guy was old but I fell in love with this portrait for this guy, sorry. -_-))

The adherent of Aulua holds up his hand breathlessly. "A moment, please.." He says apologetically, bowing to you all.

"Xelek. Here." Nymar presses a potion bottle into Xelek's hand. "In case you need it. Remember Aulua sees you and your need, wherever you may be."
He smiles and takes a few steps backward, bowing again. "Virtues be within you, and watch over all of you."

----

Past the gate the passageway, -inside the westwall, as you reckon it-, descends steeply down and turns back on itself to the right, back towards the center of the city. At a depth of 30 steps the smell and cool damp of still, cold water can be felt in the air, and at 40 steps the stairwall ends in an expansive chamber.

Daeron puts his hand to the Luminator wire strung up on the walls and channels a bit of magic into it, and in a moment the entire area is lit up with a soft greenish-blue light.

A placid pool glimmers in the center of the room, and translucent shapes move slowly through the water.

Immediately to the right, a beat-up metal toolbox rests, apparently for the use of whatever repair or maintenance crews are working down here.

At the far end of the room sits some manner of mechanical crankwheel, which supposedly controls one of the sluices you are meant to test.

quote:

Creature lore (5+0=5)
+Clear Slimes [HP:5][Armor:00][Move:02][XP:00]
Clear slimes can be found near still water in any temperate region, especially in areas shielded from direct light. Unlike their chromatic cousins, clear slimes are harmless, even when attacked. They have a number of beneficial purposes, such as a propensity to absorb and consume algae in water sources. When exposed to harmful or unnatural substances or magics they gain the different colors and aggressive behaviors found in the so-called 'chromatic' slimes.

Contemporary lore (1+0):autofail:
Nobody seems to know anything about this place, how old it is, or what it is for.

(Divine Lore (8+1)=9)
Acolytes of the Watergod Nauvuan descend into one of the Cisterns (Number 8, not this one) to conduct their rituals.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[ ===== TREASURE HUNTING AT THE BARROWS ===== ]

The group meets in the early morning by the west gate. Emelle is seated on her wagon already, and standing before it is a taciturn dark-furred Tuur that Emelle introduces as Loarn. A moment's glance reveals that Loarn's horns have been cut down from their normal length. The better to fit into tight spaces, Emelle says. Loarn nods politely to each of you in turn, but does not seem inclined to say very much.

The last of the group to arrive is a woman of around 20's, lean and with sharp eyes. Her features, build and hair resemble Emelle's enough that it is no surprise when the older woman introduces her as her daughter, Mirielle.

"Quite a group," Mirielle says, looking over each of you.

Introductions are cut short as Emelle whistles for Loarn to stand to the cart and start pulling; you have a whole day's walk to get to know one another.

You head southwest along the Midland Way, a lesser-used highway serving mostly farming communities in the southern pasturelands and travellers to the Greenpools.

Traffic thins out quickly after a few hours as most of the farms have been left behind you and the road bends toward a purely southern direction. Emelle rides on the cart, with Loarne pushing tirelessly from behind the cart's front handles, sometimes changing his grip to pull from them instead. Mirielle and the rest of you walk alongside or behind.

"Don't feel bad, Loarn's not being rude." Emelle grins. "He only agrees to pull me on 'cause I can't walk. And 'cause I own the best wagon in the whole of the regency. It's an honor to pull it!" Emelle cackles and Loarn snorts, the closest he's come to saying anything for several hours.

A few more hours' travel and the pasturelands have given way totally to the familiar rough heath that blankets most of the kingdom. Emelle points to where a spiked wooden barricade stands across the road, bleached and dilapidated by the weather, and creaking at the touch of the breeze.

"That's where we're supposed to turn back," Emelle says. "Does anyone know why?"

As a group you (Historical lore (3+1 = 4)) recall that the Barrows are a kind of tomb-city contructed by the Yltriyans, (Ill-tree-yuns) a long time ago, to hold the dead after some curse befell them. It's forbidden territory on the account that the cursed Yltrian dead have a habit of rising up when disturbed, sometimes in huge numbers if larger sepulchers are breached, either by fortune hunters or from the natural degredation of age, or from the rumbling of Mt Firikon.

Emelle bobs her head and shrugs. "Eh. Close enough. Not all correct and the full tale's a bit darker in truth, but I'm not here to spout history. You know what you need to. The point is this: Past here we're outlaws. If you see anyone, it'll be roadwardens, looters, or pale wandering Yltriyans that wanna warm their hands in your guts. So if you see anything, -anything- sing out."

Emelle nods to Loarn and he pulls the cart around the barricade.

"It's time to get sharp, too." She unrolls a bundle that has been riding next to her the entire trip to reveal a mechanical double crossbow. She cranks the collapsible arms open fully and rests it upright off of her hip. "Nobody we meet out here is liable to be our friend, but if they see we've got claws they may leave us alone, so if you've got steel you may as well show it."

You keep your eyes peeled (Scouting (??+0)=??) but aside from a few cagey and elusive jackrabbits, see nothing.

As you continue, you notice the heath is broken more and more often by piles slabs of rock; grey, pitted stones which you quickly realize the remains of walls, broken down by time and it seems deliberate action at some point. Looking ahead, you can see these structures are far more numerous, and far more intact, as though whoever had once begun to tear down these buildings down realized the futility of their task and turned back. The thought makes it difficult not to ruminate on your own weariness. (Full day's travel on foot, -1 Morale)

As the sun dips, Emelle points Loarn off the road and you travel another half-mile further and then make camp inside the roofless shell of a half-collapsed Yltriyan building. The inside appears to be stripped of everything of value; the only objects remaining being large stone vaults, all of which have had their lids cast off or crushed in. The floor has been submerged by about a half-foot of dirt and grasses.

"I'm sure you can tell these weren't houses." Mirelle says, setting her pack down on the stone-slab floor. "They're mausoleums. All of them. They used to be filled with the wealth of the entombed, but diggers've had half a millennium to pick everything over. In order to do more than just scrape and starve you have to go where nobody else has been, or find what everybody else has missed." She pulls a sack of supplies and a coalgas stove down off the wagon and starts preparing some kind of stew.

"Good first day!" Emelle opines from her wagon, where she apparently intends to stay for the duration of the trip. "We'll have plenty of time tomorrow to get where we're goin, and get what were gonna get. You boys make sure you eat up.. You're going to need to be on your toes tomorrow."

The stew, when it's ready, is simple but filling, and hot enough to warm you against the falling temperatures as you slip into your sleeping bags. (+1 Morale) Loarn, apparently indefatigable, offers to take the first watch, and Mirielle the second.

----
(( Just a long narrative section for this part, no fightan or real decisions to make. Feel free to talk or ask questions. Will continue automatically once I've taken care of the other groups. ))

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
==== [Vermik Trapping For the Arena] ====

The group gets underway early in the morning, meeting with Remmvi, Tarna and their wagon by the Eastgate. The wagon is piled high with empty cage traps and little else.

"It is not being a far journey." Remmvi remarks, "We should be being back in time for dinner."

Tarna grabs the wagon's handles and jerks the cart into motion. Remmvi chatters nearly the entire time about seemingly anything that crosses her mind, exhibiting a pronounced streak of dark humor. Tarna seems to enjoy the Tuk's verbal meandering and responds from time to time, but in general lets Remmvi have the floor.

A few miles east of the city Tarna pulls the wagon off into a rutted side road that goes off into lightly wooded, hillish country. From there it is another two or so hours following the winding path until Tarna finally lets the carthandles out of her grasp. Standing nearby is a delapidated stone building that appears to be some kind of long-abandoned temple. It is modest in size though generous in height and ornamentation. (Divine Lore 4+0=4) Whatever divinity it was once dedicated to is unknown. The structure was built on a natural rise, with one side collapsed to form a steep bank.

"Here we are!" Remmvi clicks her teeth. "Weren't expecting a church, were you? I wonder what kinds of beasts we are finding inside?" Remmvi chuckles and begins unloading cages from the wagon, motioning for you to help. The cages are moved from the wagon to a space near the collapsed hillside beneath the chapel and set up in front of an earthen tunnel that leads deep into the hill.

"This is being their back exit," Remmvi explains, her voice low. "Narrower than the front so easier to put traps. Okay stay back, Tarna and I are doing the next part." Over the course of about an hour the pair rig up the capture traps, spring loaded wire cages with wide mouths on either end that snap closed when a panel in the center is depressed.

When the work is done Tarna takes a seat by the traps, and Remmvi rejoins you.

"It is looking good!" Remmiv clicks her teeth, grinning. "Are you ready to earn your shine? Main entrance is being in that church there! We go that way and flush them through to the traps. DO NOT hurt Vermik, kill everything else that is coming after us. Screechers are only lasting so long, so it's best to be moving a bit quick. Ooh, here!"

Remmvi reaches into a satchel and thrusts an armful of Screechers at Witchlily. "No need to be saving these, Witchii!" It is unclear whether 'Witchii' is the result of Remmvi's unusual accent or an attempt at a pet name. "Use 'em all! If you need more I am having plenty."

Remmvi clicks her teeth again and leads you all into the church. The inside is barren and dirty, and thick with the smell of animal spoor. Refuse, gnawed branches and mounds of dried and dead grasses cover the floor.

Even as your eyes adjust to the lower light you hear scrabbling along the floor, accompanied by a smear of motion.

Remmvi hisses and overhand pitches a Shrieker towards of of the moving shapes. The device emits a thin sound like a dog whistle amidst the hiss of compressed air being released, and the Vermik that had turned towards the group are driven back out of it's range, towards a large hole that has been tunneled down through a collapsed section of the floor.

"We are having lively ones already!" Remmvi cheers. "But Ay! Those beetles are not being stopped by screechers, so shoot them!"

quote:

(Creature Lore 4+0=4)
The insects are Digger Beetles, very large but slow insect that primarily eat fungus, roots and the occasional carrion. They are not extremely aggressive but will attack anyone who draws too close to their liking. They are protected by chitinous plates, but this natural armor is actually rather soft and cannot very well resist the bite of metal weapons. Besides their shells and mandibles, they have no other significantly dangerous attributes.

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 24, 2023

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Percy Delawney posted:

"Should my skills not stem the putrefaction it is unconscionable to further risk this household."

Moet's mouth stretches downward at the edges at Percy's offer to attempt to quell the infection in his leg, but he nods his assent.
"Believe it's set in too deep for magical remedies, but take your shot, little 'un."

As usual, the rote is nearly invisible and soundless. Moet straightens his leg out a little with a grimace of pain, and after a few moments shakes his head. "Not much to be done about infection, short of calling a physician, and I already done that.. But thanks for trying. Lesson to learn here is to properly take care o' your hurts in the first place so they don't wind up like this." He spits off to the side.

(( Moet's infection is fluff outside the bounds of the game's mechanics, so the kind of malady he currently has won't effect Brinn or you, though you will receive regular toxin from Vermik attacks. If you wanna revote on taking Brinn go ahead, currently it's a 'naw'.))

Seauffer posted:

"Mister Moet, do you know if there is a way to ensure the Vermik won't return, without killing every last one?"
Moet shakes his head. "Impossible to get rid of 'em entirely; Everyone gets two or three in a year. They're easy enough to just shoo off with dogs or to shoot. They don't get mean 'nless they're nesting. ..But numbers like this I haven't seen before. Dangerous. Just whittle 'em down to a manageable level, that should be enough."

Moet tucks his crutch under his arm and moves towards where the stream cuts through the farm's land, and points across. Three tall storage sheds stand nearby, alongside swathes of wheat going back a hundred yards.

"They have one big nest in the easternmost shed, at least seven or eight of 'em in there. You can find the rest in the fields. They tend to stick to the north end near the nest, so there's no need to search the whole thing. They hide in the wheat, though, and you probably won't see 'em till they're ready to bite ya. So be careful."

Moet scratches his chin a moment. "Oh one last thing; Right when this all started, when I was unlocking the southwestern shed, I got startled by a Vermik that came up behind me, dropped the key trying to get to my crossbow and accidentally locked the damned key inside." He shakes his head in disgust. "..If there's anything any of you can do about that, I'll pay you a little extra." He looks between the assembled outriders. "Kinda don't seem like there's much you can do, though. That's fine, I'll just call the locksmith once this is over."

He takes a deep breath. "Suppose that's it, then. I'll take my family back inside the house to stay out of your way. Good luck to you. And thanks."

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cistern waters are still and cool, and as Kocho can somehow sense as she dives in, the deep parts are VERY deep. The hole in the center of this chamber plunges downward into darkness, and the floor of the pool seems like natural stone, implying that this subterranean chamber existed naturally, and the walls and floors were added in after the fact to shore things up.

As the sigil of Nauvuan is immersed in the waters and as Kocho begins her prayer, it might only be her imagination or the delight of being submerged, but the tiny artifact seems to shine in the glow of the luminator wire just a little more than should be expected.

Penelope picks up the toolbox and finds it's stamped-metal sides painted with rust but full of basic but useful and solidly forged implements.

((Sooo. Going a bit away from RAW where it comes to devotion gain and sort of manually adjusting things so it is more in line with the original idea for it, which is that it ought to take some amount of time and dedication to get to where the conclave is willing to give you a real relic. (In Kocho's case, credit was given for this part of the current area, there are more places around here to take dips in.) Also per a discussion in the discord, normal prayers do not grant devotion, but the other methods of piety gain for a diety will work. I will be recodifying this all later, Sorry. This is one of the many undercooked sections of the divine ruleset, it's going to get worked out as we go. :/ ))

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Bobby Jack posted:

"Hey", he greeted the young woman with a nod, "Mind if I take those cans there and set up some simple perimeter alarms?"
"I find it easier to catch shut-eye with them in place. Old habit, you understand."

Mirielle shrugs, peering out into the falling night. "Be my guest. Usually not hard to pick out anything man-sized out there, but some of the creepy-crawlers are easy to miss. Here," She moves to the wagon and fishes around for a moment in the supply bags before coming up with a length of thin twine. "-if this helps any. Just don't forget to get some sleep, long day tomorrow and we start early."

The evening passes (Scouting ??+0 = ??) with no unusual events and Emelle rouses everyone as the glowing edge of the sun's corona begins to lighten the horizon.

"Up! Up! Let's go! I'm the only one who gets to lay around all day! We can eat while we walk."

Instead of heading back to the road Emelle directs the group further west across untracked ground, and for the first time Loarn shows a bit of strain in his pulling. It quickly becomes apparent the day's destination is a distant cluster of far-off structures, denser and taller than the ruined, house-sized mausoleums you now pass every few hundred yards. Were it not for the lack of rising smoke or any other sign of life, you might take it for a normal city.

"North Barrows." Mirielle says, pointing in your direction of travel. "Scholars say it was a trade city, before everything. I'm sure someone knows the original name, but not me."

As the sun rises higher, (scouting ??+0 = ??) Darcy catches the barest smudge of movement in the far distance in the direction of travel, close to a mostly-intact Yltriyan mausoleum. Emelle halts the caravan immediately and spends a long minute peering at the spot through a collapsible spyglass.

"Can't really see anything but moving shadows. Probably diggers though, picking something over." She scowls. "We'll give 'em a wide berth, hope they're too busy to see us passing, and jink a bit so we don't lead them to our find. Adds a couple hours to our trip." She spits off the side of the wagon in disgust. "Better we saw them though, good eyes. They were right on our path."

The group makes a 90 degree detour for a time before cutting back west, keeping the occupied barrow a distant smudge. Emelle regularly surveys it with her spyglass, swaying with the motion of the wagon, until it is finally safely behind.

"Don't think they saw us," she reports. "But I'll keep an eye out."

By now the ancient mausoleums you travel by are numerous and mostly intact. All seem to be made of the same weather-bleached grey-white stone, and all lack windows. In place of doors are huge stone slabs, all of which have been broken in or shattered, exposing cold and dark interiors filled only with stone vaults. Moss and climbing vines engulf walls and invade through the breached doors.

In some places, traces of an ancient road lay exposed where the sediment and plant matter has failed to fully cover them. Unlike the straight lines of a proper city's causeways, these meander crookedly through a haphazard placement of buildings, as though there was no true plan when constructing this place.

Emelle seems to know where she is going, despite directing the group in a path even more crooked and convoluted than the roads. You notice yourself crossing over your own path multiple times, but assume this is Emelle's attempt at leaving a confounding trail for anyone who may be following, and perhaps even obfuscating the final position from you.

At length however, she calls a halt before a large mausoleum. It is well decorated and mostly intact, though collapsed partially in the rear. In front of it's smashed-down doors stand two marble pillars, on top of which twin statues stand. One only has its lower half and the other has been decapitated, though one arm is still raised to the sky.

"Well, here we are!" Emelle grins as Loarn lets the wagon handles out of his hands at last. "Don't worry, it's more promising that it looks, or so says my adventurous daughter."

Mirielle sniffs and tosses her hair. "I can promise it's been untouched, but that's all. That usually means plenty of shine, though."

"In any case," Emelle continues, "You four are to go ahead, clear the way, and my daughter will show you which way to go. She and Loarn are there to pick, not fight, so they'll stay behind you. I'll be out here, keeping the wagon from floating away. I can take care of myself, but if you hear this-" She holds up a tiny silver stick-whistle on a chain around her neck. "Then come back, quick as you can."

Peering into the dimness of the mausoleum, your notice several squirming, wormlike shapes within the interiors moving slowly, apparently unaware of your arrival.

quote:

Creature Lore (7+0)
You recognize these as Woodeater Grubs. These insects are often found in caves, ruins, or other damp, shaded environments. They feed on carrion as well as decaying vegetable matter. They are communal and aggressive but have very poor senses, and can be easily avoided simply by keeping one's distance.

[HP:12][Armor:00][Move:04][XP:04]
Aggros within range 5.
When killed, each releases a burst of toxic gas.

"Hark up there." Loarn's voice is used so infrequently it comes as almost a surprise. "In the statue's hand." The Tuur points to the more intact of the two statues. Following his finger you notice a small object is held in the statue's upraised hand, glinting softly on the sunlight. It's high and out of reach, but the statue itself looks like it ought to provide some useful natural handholds.

quote:

OPTIONAL
Spend an action to try to climb up the statue and pry out whatever it is holding. (Climbing check, Difficulty 7). On a failure you slip, and receive a minor injury which will reduce your Morale by 1. You can also choose to attempt this after leaving the Mausoleum, (assuming you don't have to flee) and/or continue to attempt this challenge until you succeed.

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 8, 2023

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

"Hssssssst!!! Be going! Go!" Remmvi pitches another shrieker that sends the Vermin scattering out through the tunnel. The Digger Beetles hold their ground, unbothered by the noise. However as the first crossbow bolts thunk into their armor carapaces they turn, holding their claws protectively in front of their heads as they drag their heavy bodies towards the shooters.

One closes in on Korrigath with surprising speed, but at the moment of striking one of it's feet slides on on a split floor tile and it awkwardly stumbles, falling onto its front.

Slid >--> Digger Beetle (7)(+1RA)(-2 armor)(6 damage)
Korrigath ---o Digger Beetle (5)(+2Bonus)(-2Armor)(5 damage)
Witchlilly >--> Digger Beetle (8)(+1RA)(-2 Armor)(7 damage)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Digger Beetle >>>> Korrigath (1) ::automiss::

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

At first, the only sounds are the gentle murmur of the creek and the similarly soft sighs of the breeze brushing through the tall stalks of the field. It hardly seems dangerous, and it might even be a little difficult to keep one's guard up amidst the pastoral mundanity.

As the group fans out along the lanes of the field however, there comes a strange feeling of anxiousness. And then the hissing starts.

Two Vermik leap up to attack Percival's sentry spark, passing entirely through it as they try to tear at it's immaterial form with their teeth, succeeding only in shredding away some of it's arcane essence.

Further south, a rustling in the wheatstalks announces the arrival of more, bursting out from concealment with gaping jaws and small, sharp nails. Flecks of spittle fly from their jaws as the hiss like a forge's bellows, and the stench from their mouths is like an open latrine pit. The mere act of them getting close enough to attack is enough to make your stomach buck.

Vermik >>>> Sentry Spark (3)(-0 armor)(3 damage)(+1 Toxin)(Immune)
Vermik >>>> Sentry Spark (5)(-0 armor)(4 damage(Capped))(+1 Toxin)(Immune)
Vermik >>>> Seauffer (1*)(-2 armor)(1 damage(min))(+1 Toxin)
(*Not a nat 1 but was reduced to a minimum of 1 by a negative MA)
Vermik >>>> Silver Jenny (2)(-3 armor)(1 damage(min))(+1 Toxin)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cast-iron wheel that controls the sluice gate appears to be well maintained. With the sound of chattering gears a sheet of metal that blocks the nearby channel is raised and lowered again without incident. In the few moments where the channel lies open a healthy stream of water flows in from wherever the sluice connects to.

Lightly rusted hinges complain as Xelek swings the eastern door open. The sound echoes through a much larger space on the other side, the far end just barely lightened by the Luminators. A pool of still, dark water occupies most of the area, rippling gently alongside two tiled walkways set over the natural stone basin of the pool.

Xelek's eyes are immediately drawn to a smudge of movement as a long, lizardlike form slips into the water at the far and of the hall.
Another sits exposed on the stone-tiled edge of the pool. Its head turns an inch in the direction of the now-opened door, but it make no other movement.

Creature Lore (7+0)

quote:

Green Monitor
The most common and least deadly of the Monitor varieties, these aggressive beasts live in or around slow-moving or still water sources, often streams. They are adept swimmers, using their long tails to propel themselves through the water considerably more quickly than they can move on land. They are likewise more deadly when attacking from deep or shallow water, and may submerge before surfacing to strike. They subsist on rodents or fish, but will aggressively attack anything entering their territory, often pursuing them for long distances.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Darcy climbs up the side of the humanoid statue like a wrestler trying to take down a much larger opponent. Stretching out an arm, he manages to grasp the object that is held by the figure's upraised hand. It is stuck fast, but only for a moment as a few powerful tugs break it loose from a badly corroded bracket that affixes it in the statue's palm.

Darcy finds himself holding a clouded white crystal orb the size of a pigeon's egg. It may once have been clear but long exposure to the elements have left a rough, cataract-like film across the top hemisphere. Tiny flecks and strands of gold appear to be embedded within it, and peering closely at them you can see tiny filaments that seem to arranged in patterns meant to channel magical energies, similar to rotes. (Arcane Lore (8+0 vs 12)) Nobody seems to know what it could be used for, however.

"What'd ya get?" Emelle slides over to the near side of the wagon and leans over to see. "Oh, some kind of geegaw.. Remember we share everything we find, or at least a cut of the price, once it's been tallied. Hold onto it for now but make sure it gets put in the pot later."

Gharoch crouches down behind a sarcophagus and observes the grubs intently, carefully committing the details to memory so they can be transcribed later. The Insects undulate in a strange and unsettling fashion and seem unaware of the presence of intruders. Gharoch watches as one gnaws at a strip of moss, scraping it clean off of the stone and leaving only a damp trail behind.

Bobby-jack's brief search of the vaults reveals that their lids have been smashed open dozens if not hundreds of years ago, and are filled only with rubble and a few inches of algae-tinged rainwater from a recent storm. It seems likely that all the rest of the opened sarcophagi are similarly pilfered.

On the other side of the wagon a sudden burst of air blows a torrent of leaves and mulch from the inside of a mausoleum as Clove's galeshot is released. The target, though seriously wounded, moves with surprising speed and snaps at the rootkith with needle-sharp mandibles, though the life already seems to be fading from it.

"Appreciate that," Emelle says drolly. "But I can mind myself. Stick with the others, we don't have too much time to scuffle around." She levels her double crossbow at the grub and sights down the top rail at it.

"Eghh, thats a lot of those crawlers, more than last time.." Mirielle snorts in frustration. "Take 'em if you feel like you need the warmup, just remember they pop when they die, reeks awfully. We want to get into the section on the east." She points. "Gets a bit tight that way, so watch out, don't see yourself into a corner."

Clove ---- Quick Cast: Galeshot
Clove >---> Woodeater Grib (11)(-0 armor)(11 damage)
---------------------------------------------------------
Woodeater Grub >>>> Clove (4)(-0 Armor)(3 damage(Capped))

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Witchlily shoots and then dashes further into the church, moving past a number of beetles to where the burrow tunnel breaches the floor of the church.

"What is Witchii doing?!" Remmvi shrieks in sudden fear and agitation. "Witchii you are going to get bit!!" Her dark eyes widen a half-second later in realization. "Nonono! I was meaning for Vermik to go, not you!" A staccato stream of foreign cursing issues forth from the Tuk. "I never hiss at friends!" She darts forward and plants herself at Witchlily's side, aiming a solid kick at the head of a Digger Beetle as it rounds the pillar while waving her arms to attract the attention of another. Both creatures strike back with their forelegs, driving her back a pace.

"Koriaff can you please be fighting and not sketching!!" The little Tuk wails, "This is being serious!!"

Slid >--> Digger Beetle (2)(+1MA)(-2 Armor)(1 damage)
Witchlily >--> (6)(-2 armor)(4 damage)
Remmvi >>>> Digger Beetle (4)(+0MA)(-2 armor)(2 damage)
Digger Beetle >>>> Korrigath (7)(-0 armor)(4 damage(capped)
Digger Beetle >>>> Remmvi (10)(+3 explosion)(-0 armor)(4 damage(capped))
Digger Beetle >>>> Remmvi (1)(-0 armor)(1 damage)
Digger Beetle >>>> Witchlily (4)(-0 armor)(4 damage)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

There is little sound other than the peaceful, subtle flowing of water and the lightly echoing footfalls of the group as they move. Despite it's size, the subterranean hall they enter has a low, gently arching ceiling, almost close enough to touch if one were to reach up, and probably close to brushing Xelek's head.

Of the Monitors at the far end of the subterranean hall, neither the two on the tiles shore nor the one floating in the water seem to acknowledge their presence. Somewhere in the middle of the pool a fish flicks its tail and shoots down from the surface, leaving a tiny ripple that spreads out across the water.

Far across the hall and just barely visible in the dim light, a dark blotch can be seen the smooth, stucco-like walls. Difficult to discern at this distance but a spill of natural earth in front makes it seems to be a breach through the wall itself.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

The fighting in the further-away row of crops comes to an abrupt end as Camryn and Seauffer both strike down their opponents, one with an airy yet precise stab, and the other with a hard, determined strike.

The magical filaments of Percival's sentry spark are ripped apart as a Vermik again leap up to savage the mostly-immaterial construct as it charges itself to attack. As Percy steps back to glean some insight on the creature {Analysis: Vermik HP = 10} it turns in his direction and charges. The beast only makes it a few paces before being intercepted by Seauffer. Her sensitive nose wrinkles at the beast's sepulchural breath as it pulls itself up short, jaws snapping.

Camryn {Fierce attack(2,4,7)}(JdV chance: 10(No morale loss))
Camryn >>>> (7)(+3MA)(-0 armor)(10 damage)(Dies)(+4xp)
Seauffer >>>>(17)(-0 Armor)(17 damage)(Dies)(+4xp)
Silver Jenny >>>> (6)(-0 armor)(6 damage) (moved you an extra square, otherwise you woulda conflicted with cam's position. )
Sentry Spark >--> Vermik
>> Vermik AoO (10)(+2 Explosion)(-0 armor)(4 damage(capped))(dissipates)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Vermik >>>> Camryn (2)(-2 Armor)(1 damage(min))(+1 Toxin)
Vermik >>>> Seauffer (2)(-2 Armor)(1 damage(min)(+1 Toxin)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

The interior of the mausoleum is cool and shady, though slivers of sunlight pierce through thin gaps between the stone ceiling blocks, leaving lines of illumination across the floor.

The first grub is pinioned and then pummeled, and leaves a smear of sickly yellow-green ichor down the wall a moment before it's body bursts in a soft 'pouf' and a billow of spreading, noxious mist.

Nearby insects perk up their stubby antenna, recognizing the presence of interlopers in their grazing space.
They shuffle across the floor and menace Darcy with vertical mouths filled with needlelike teeth.

Further away, other grubs turn their fleshy heads, seeming to notice something is amiss.
A few of them move in the direction of the encroaching party, moving slowly, as if uncertain if a threat really exists.

Outside, Clove's follow-up shot delivers a coup de gras to the already-wounded grub out in the open.
It too bursts into a nauseating cloud with quickly begins dissipating in the open air.

Emelle rests her own weapon back on her hip with a sigh. "Well, you're a spoilsport, but I can't say you're not a good shot," she chuckles.

Bobby-Jack >--> Woodeater Grub (6)(-0 armor)(6 damage)
Darcy >>>> Woodeater Grub (8)(-0 armor)(8 damage)(Dies)(+4 xp)
+Toxic Burst: { Darcy (+3 Toxin) }
Clove >--> (10)(-0 armor)(-2 Obstacle)(8 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
+Toxic Burst: { }
--------------------------------------------------------
Woodeater Grub >>>> Darcy (6)(-1 armor)(3 damage(capped))
Woodeater Grub >>>> Darcy (6)(-1 armor)(3 damage(capped)) (Yes, again)

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 14, 2023

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Boots and paws scuffle across the debris-strewn floor as the group consolidates in a corner near the door. Crossbows thrum and a single wand bolt thumps, and three of the beetles are left slumped on the floor. The remainder continue the pursuit, foreclaws clacking.

Remmvi lets out a shrill, nervous giggle, fitting another bolt to her weapon. "Could be going worse!"

Slid >--> Digger beetle (2)(+1RA)(-2 Armor)(1 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
Korriath ---0 Digger Beetle (4)(+2 Bonus)(-2 Armor)(4 damage)
Witchlily >--> Digger beetle (6)(-2 Armor)(4 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
Remmvi >--> Digger Beetle (7)(+2)(-2 armor)(7 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
Digger Beetle uses Recover and regains 1 HP.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Daeron is able to turn the sluice crank easily, and again the same barrier as before rises to allow a flow of water in from elsewhere for a few moments before it closes again.

Penelope's attempt is less successful; the crank seizes after only a quarter turn and refuses to budge further, even with all her strength.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

As the group moves forward, the rows of crops are split by a swarm of Vermik that erupt from their hiding spots hiding and charge, hissing and growling as they run in curves and circles around the outriders' feet.

Seaufer >>>> Vermik (10)(-0 armor)(10 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
Silver Jenny: {Careful Strike}
Silver Jenny >>>> Vermik (6)(-0 Armor)(6 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
Vermik >>>> Camryn (1)(-2 armor)(1 damage(min))(+1 Toxin)
Vermik >>>> Camryn (1)(-2 armor)(1 damage(min))(+1 Toxin)
Vermik >>>> Sentry Spark (4)(-0 armor)(4 damage)(+1 Toxin)(Immune)
Vermik >>>> Seauffer (6)(-2 armor)(4 damage)(+1 Toxin)
Vermik >>>> Silver Jenny (1)(-3 armor)(1 damage)(+1 Toxin)
Vermik >>>> Camryn (5)(-2 armor)(3 damage)(+1 Toxin)
Vermik >>>> Silver Jenny (4)(-3 armor)(1 damage)(+1 Toxin)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Gharoch and Clove's wand and bolt respectively dispatch another grub, which also explodes with yet another disgusting pop and noxious cloud.

The sudden explosion of Bobby-Jack's powder charge punches everyone with a wave of noise and air. A hail of fine stone chips and dust rains down from above as the blast rattles the walls and ceiling of the ancient mausoleum. One of the Woodeaters is spared the force of the explosion by sheer luck, but the two others are left dazed and reeling. They teeter forward on their stubby legs to attack, more whipping their heads like maces than trying to bite.

Gharoch: {Residuum}
Gharoch ---o Woodeater Grub (9)(+2 Bonus)(-0 armor)(11 damage)
Clove >--> Woodeater Grub (8)(-0 armor)(8 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
Bobby-Jack: Old Powder Bomb
{
Vs. Woodeater Grub (8)(-0 Armor)(8 damage)
Vs. Woodeater Grub (1) :automiss:
Vs. Woodeater Grub (10)(-0 Armor)(10 damage)
}
Darcy >>>> Woodeater Grub (2)(-0 armor)(2 damage)
Woodeater Grub >>>> Darcy(4)(-1 Armor)( 3 damage)
Woodeater Grub >>>> Darcy(2)(-1 Armor)( 1 damage)
Woodeater Grub >>>> Bobby-Jack(7)(-0 Armor)(3 damage(capped))

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 16, 2023

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Two more beetles crumple under the fusillade of bolts and want blasts.
Remmvi clicks her teeth at a particularly satisfying shot. "This is being much better! Let's be getting this last one and the we should be flushing the tunnels."

Korrigath ---o Digger Beetle (4)(+2 Bonus)(-2 armor)(4 damage)
Slid >--> Digger Beetle (7)(+1RA)(-2 armor)(6 damage)
Witchlily >--> Digger beetle (10)(-2 armor)(8 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
Remmvi >--> Digger beetle (10)+(2 explosion)+(2 RA)(-2 Armor)(12 damage)(dies)(+4xp)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Working together, Nell and Kocho discover the problem with the sluice control; a stuck braking catch. Between the two of them and with the help of the repair kit, they are able to prod it out of it's stuck position and chip away the bit of corrosion that keeps it from operating smoothly. After fixing these problems, the sluice gate functions normally, rising and falling smoothly at the command of the wheel. ((As a limited roll you had 1 shot at this, and the first one counts, but Nell's 6 vs. 5) was enough to do it, thankfully. I should have explained what was going to go on there and what your options were I was running kinda behind late time, sorry. -_- ))

Nearby, Xelek swings open another door and reveals another large chamber. Dominating the center of the space is a massive motor, silent and still. By looks it appears to have been installed much more recently than the cistern itself, probably within the span of the last few years. Rising from behind it is a wide vertical pipe that leads upwards and through the ceiling.

In the far corner of the room, more Monitors stir, crouching on small piles of scant nesting material; sticks and scraps of cloth.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

The Vermik in the field become a disorganized rush of furred bodies, snapping and clawing from within the stalks.

Camryn: {Fierce Attack} (JDV 61 : No effect)(-1 Morale)
Camryn >>> Vermik (9)(-0 armor)(9 damage)
Seauffer >>>> Vermik (7)(-0 armor)(7 damage)
Percival :::: Focus (+1 MP)
Silver Jenny >>>> Vermik: (5)(-0 armor)(5 damage)
Sentry Spark >--> Vermik: (6)(-0 armor)(6 damage) (Dies)(+4 xp)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Vermik >>>> Seauffer (1)(-2 armor)(1 damage(min))(+1 Toxin)(+1 Sollos Devotion)
Vermik >>>> Silver Jenny (6)(-3 armor)(3 damage)(+1 Toxin)
Vermik >>>> Silver Jenny (1) ::automiss::
Vermik >>>> Camryn (5)(-2 Armor)(3 damage)(+1 Toxin)
Vermik >>>> Camryn (1) ::automiss::
Vermik >>>> Camryn (3)(-2 Armor)(1 damage)(+1 Toxin)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

The interior space fills with a thin mist of reeking particles as more of the woodeaters are dispatched. Mirielle stifles a cough and pulls a bandana over her nose while Emelle cackles outside.

"One of the few times I'm glad for my legs bein' like they are. Means I don't have to experience those little joys anymore!"

As the smell of the burst insects fills the air, it seems to enliven more of the creatures, who begin slowly making their way towards the fighting.

Bobby-Jack >>>> Woodeater Grub(9)(-0 armor)(9 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
+Toxic Burst:{ (Bobby Jack +1 toxin) }
Darcy >>>> Woodeater Grub (2)(-0 Armor)(2 damage)(Dies)(+4 xp)(+2 Niahain Devotion)
+Toxic Burst:{ (Darcy +1 toxin) }
Gharoch ---O Woodeater Grub (3)(+2 Bonus)
Clove >--> Woodeater Grub (10)(-0 Armor)(10 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
+Toxic Burst: { (Darcy +1 toxin) }
Woodcutter Grub >>>> Darcy (1)(-1 armor)(1 damage(min))
Woodcutter Grub >>>> Darcy (7)(-1 armor)(3 damage(Cap))

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

The last Digger Beetle falls, studded with bolts and with a patch of its shell steaming from a wandblast.

Witchlily approaches the tunnel entrance and finds it made of loose-packed earth, clods of dirt coming free from the walls and ceiling at a touch. A multitude of roots that snake through the ground in every direction seems to be holding things together. The tunnel descends downwards at a steep angle before flattening out, and is little taller than shoulder-height on a human.

Just as Witchlily's eyes are acclimating to the darkness, a thrown shrieker bounces lightly off her shoulder and rolls downwards into the tunnel, emitting it's high pitched whistle.

"When you are being ready!" Remmvi chitters. "Take a breath if you need!"

Slid >--> Digger Beetle (8)(-2 Armor)(6 damage)
Korrigath ---O Digger Beetle(4)(-2 Armor)(2 Damage)
Witchlily >--> Digger Beetle (10)(-2 Armor)(8 damage)(Dies)(+4 xp)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

((As a quick note; fog moves can only include the path instructions and whether to attack or hold fire, and no other conditionals. ))

The huge motor and vertical standpipe dominate the chamber as the group moves into it. The massive machine is (Contemporary Lore:(1) Vs. 5 :autofail:) completely unknown in origin but seems to be in good repair, though no spark of life stirs within it currently.

A sudden splash catches the attention as a Monitor slips into the water. Thrashing with its tail, it forges through the water with almost shocking swiftness towards Dareon and Xelek. It is joined a moment later by one of its brethren, both leaving sizable wakes behind them as they almost skim across the surface.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Three more Vermik are struck down in quick succession as the scuffle continues. One sentry spark dissipates into a cloud of loose magic as another forms a few yards away, sending a crackling bolt of magic into the back of one of the rodents facing Camryn.

Camryn >>>> Vermik (7)(+3MA)(-0 armor)(10 damage)(dies)(+4 XP)
Camryn :: Second Wind (+5 HP)(Joie de vivre: (57)(-1 Morale)
Percy :: Quickcast(Sentry Spark)
Percy ---O Vermik (3)(+2 Bonus)(-2 obstacle)(-0 Armor)(3 damage)
Seauffer >>>> Vermik (8)(-0 armor)(8 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
Silver >>>> Verimik (5)(-0 armor)(5 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
Sentry Spark >--> Vermik (3)(-0 armor)(3 damage)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Vermik >>>> Camryn (1)(-2 Armor)(1 damage(min)(+1 toxin)
Vermik >>>> Camryn (10)(+1 explosion)(-2 Armor)(4 damage(Capped)(+1 toxin)
Vermik >>>> Silver (3)(-3 armor)(1 damage(min)(+1 toxin)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

The fighting continues, the rank mist filling the space beginning to sting everyone's eyes and making it difficult to see, let alone fight. Clove's galeshot dispels the misama a little, carving a curling vortex through the green vapor and carrying some of the cloud out of the shattered back wall.

"Tch, Loarn, Miri, get out of the way!" As her daughter and assistant step out of the doorway, Emelle takes aim and looses a shot from her wide-armed double crossbow, the bolt striking a chip from the lip of a stone cask before skewering a crawling grub, which as usual explodes into vile mist a moment later. As Emelle pulls the release for the second shot there is an out-of-tune clank from somewhere inside the device, and the follow-up bolt fails to shoot. "Shittin' hell." Emelle growls. "This godsdamned thing again!"

Darcy >>>> Woodeater Grub (2)(-0 armor)(2 damage)
Bobby-Jack >--> Woodeater Grub (1) :Automiss:
Gharoch --O Woodeater Grub (6)(-0 armor)(6 damage)
Clove >--> Woodeater Grub (10)(-0 armor)(19 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
+Toxic Burst { }
Emelle Meary >--> Woodeater Grub (9)(+5MA)(-4 Obstacle)(10 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
Double Xbow:: >--> Woodeater Grub (1)::Jams::(8) :P
+Toxic Burst { Clove:+3 Toxin }
Woodeater Grub >>>> Bobby-Jack (5)(-0 armor)(3 damage(capped))

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

While the rest ofthe group takes a moment to collect themselves, Slid carefully makes his way down the steep ramp of loose earth that leads down into the burrows. taking a quick look around the corner he sees that the vermik that exited this way have apparently retreated further into the burrows and at the end of the short run where the path splits, another Digger Beetle waits.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

(( Xelek's Original move would have put him in Deep water which would have stopped his movement, so I walked him around.))

A well-aimed wandblast from Dareon pierces the water with a curious bluegreen flash and strikes the oncoming monitor soundly even though it's body is mostly beneath the surface.

Nell's attack catches the monitor right below it's jaw just as it breaches the surface to snap at her. With it's head half-severed it flops clumsily onto its back in the water, and after a brief thrashing of feet and tail moves no more. Xelek moves into it's space, pushing the body out of the way.

The lizard's siblings rush in to take it's place, moving through the water with that same uncanny swiftness. One rushes to Xelek, roiling the waters around his legs as it bites and scratches. Another flops up on the tile shore of the cistern to try it's jaws on Nell, but it's long claws slip on the damp stone and it scrabbles for footing rather than attacking.

The third sinks below the surface of the deep water, for the moment too deep to be reached easily.

quote:

Submerged
Some enemies can Submerge in water tiles. Submerged units can only be attacked by normal melee attacks. Generally, only monsters can Submerge. Monster behavior and detection range may be altered while submerged.

Dareon ---O Monitor (9)(-1 Armor)(-1 Water Defense)(7 damage)
Nell {Fierce Strike} >>>> Monitor (16)(-1 Armor)(-1 Water Defense)(14 damage)(Dies)(+6 xp)
Xelek >>>> Monitor (11)(-1 Armor)(-1 Water Defense)( 9 damage )
Monitor >>>> Xelek (7)(+1 Water Assault)(-3 armor)(4 damage)
Monitor >>>> Nell (1) ::Automiss::

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Two more Vermik are struck down in what is becoming a well-practiced routine, as the group forges carefully but steadily through the field.

As Percival motions his Sentry Spark towards the east end of the field, there is another sudden rustling and chorus of hissing from amidst the crop, and then the tops of the stalks tremble as another large group rushes forward. The Spark is set upon by four of the creatures, jumping through its incorporeal mass and tearing at its magical fabric with claws and teeth.

---------------------------------------------
Camryn >>>> Vermik (8) (-0 Armor) ( 8 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
Silver >>>> Vermik (10)(-0 Armor) (10 damage)(dies)(+4 xp)
Percy >--> Vermik (4)(-0 Armor)(4 damage)
Sentry Spark >--> Vermik (2)(-0 armor)(2 damage)
---------------------------------------------
Vermik >>>> Silver (5)(-3 Armor)(2 Damage)(+1 Toxin)
Vermik >>>> Sentry Spark (3)(-0 armor)(3 damage)
Vermik >>>> Sentry Spark (5)(-0 armor)(4 damage(capped))
Vermik >>>> Sentry Spark (6)(-0 armor)(4 damage(capped))
Vermik >>>> Sentry Spark (1)(-0 armor)(1 damage)

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 30, 2023

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Bobby-Jack >>>> Woodeater Grub (3)(-0 armor)(3 damage)
Darcy: Bandage (+12 HP)(Vulnerable)
Clove >--> Woodeater Grub (7)(-2 Obstacle)(-0 Armor)(5 damage)
Gharoch ---O Woodeater Grub (17)(-0 armor)(17 damage)(Dies)(+4 xp)
Toxic Burst { Bobby-Jack (+4 Toxin)}
Emelle: Clear Jam (10)+3)
Woodeater Grub >>>> Bobby-Jack (4)(-0 armor)(3 damage(Capped))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Korrigath ---O Digger Beetle (4)(-2 Armor)(2 damage)
Witchlily >--> Digger beetle (3)(-2 Armor)(1 damage)
----------------------------------------------------------
Digger Beetle >>>> Slid (4)(-1 armor)(3 damage)