Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Name: Percival DeLawney, the Unnaturalist
Stat: +1 Magic
Talent: Analyze
Proficiency: Creature Knowledge
Equipment: Novice Rotebook, Hedge mage Wand, Woven leather vest, Throwing Knives, Throwing Knives

Backstory:
An eighth son of a rich merchant clan, Percy has been superfluous for much of his life. And frankly he prefers it that way as it means no pesky responsibilities to get in the way of the pursuit of his own interests. After dabbling in the arcane this young tuk has discovered his true passion; monsters. With his knowledge of the local beasts rapidly approaching encyclopedic, Percy has journeyed to the borders of the kingdom to find ever more strange and untamed creatures to study. It's unclear if he remembered to mention to his clan that he was leaving.

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Percival DeLawney, the Unnaturalist

Dear Journal,

An auspicious start to my expedition vitae. Though on the frontier, Barrican is hardly without amenities. The first order of business was of course to search out fellow seekers of knowledge. The Silver Circle maintains a sizable campus here. Enrollment was a simple process, and my luggage was quickly squared away in a dormitory. The size of my chambers! I suppose my stature plays some role there as the rooms were not species specific. Note to self, acquire a ladder or step stool to access the top shelves. In the common areas I encountered some students amusing themselves pitting clever little magical constructs in an aerial battle. After ascertaining that I held no staff position nor interest in reporting this activity to the same, they became much friendlier and regaled me with the uses of such a rote. I quickly resolved to acquire this "sentry spark". Gaining the knowledge from the archive was simplicity itself though I find myself patting an empty coinpurse absently. After studying the working, I should perhaps seek employment.

Enroll at the Silver Archive ($10)
Purchase Rote of Sentry Spark ($10)
Add Sentry Spark to Novice Rotebook
Join Scourge of the Pasturelands adventure

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"I say! That looks excruciating, my goodman. I can take a look if you'll let me. I have some minor skill in arcane restoration, you see."

Cast Mending(1mp) on Moet if allowed
Decline additional supplies for Percy

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 20, 2023

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Much appreciated, Master... Chase was it?" Percy tucks the roll into a front pocket. "And I agree with your assessment. Should my skills not stem the putrefaction it is unconscionable to further risk this household."

The young tuk resettles his monocle determinedly "Now then. Let's be about it!"

Vote: if I can heal Moet, Brin can come, otherwise, vote against Brin helping.
Accept bandages.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Percy Delawney - Scourge of the Pasturelands

"May I suggest a companion of, ah, the less mortal variety to flush these septic critters from their cereal cover? Observe!"

Move: 1S 6E 2N
Act: Cast Sentry Spark 1E 3S

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 6, 2023

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Percy hummed along to the impromptu battle chant of his allies as he studied their foes. The tuk fell back slightly and called out his findings.

"The vermik seem fairly frail. A sharp blow to the back of the neck would most expediently dispatch them. But all sorts of traditional bodily harm would work as well."

Move: 1S 2W
Action: Analyze Vermik HP

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Percy flinches as the vermik surprises the other tuk adventurer. Her response is swift and lethal.

"Oh dear, oh dear. Let me know if that bite needs further attention. From what I've seen of their mouths the vermik have a purposely cryptic palate to foster a septic quality to their bites."

Percy continues in this vein of zoological observation as he moves forward with Seauffer to support the others.

Move: 6E 1S
Action: Cast Sentry Spark 2E 1S

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Oh my! Quite the population here. I wonder how many whelps to a litter..."

As he ponders, Percy directs his arcane construct with a flourish.

Free Action: Move Sentry Spark 1N 1W
Action: Focus 1MP

Edit: Level up - +1Mag +[Quickcast Sentry Spark] +Creature Knowledge
(honestly just set Creature Knowledge = Percy level)

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 17, 2023

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Everyone still alive in there?" Percival shouts into the field, anxiously. He has trouble seeing the action over the crops. Fortunately it seems his compatriots have weathered the initial storm. Time to dispel the flickering construct and produce a new shiny distraction for the beasts.

"I say! This life or death combat is great for getting the aetheric juices flowing. Look at the size of that new spark!"

Move: 1N 3E
Free action: Dispel Sentry Spark
Free action: Quickcast 2MP Sentry Spark 1S 2E
Action: Zap a wand at closest Vermik [1d10+2]=3+2=5

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 19, 2023

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Continue to press, comrades. Surely the vermik will learn we are no easy meals. Though perhaps the cognitive abilities are overidden by..."

Action: Huck a knife at S Vermik [1d10+1]=3+1=4
Free Action: Shift Sentry Spark 2E 1S
Move: 3E

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Acknowledged, retrograde advancement." Percival whips a parting shot at one of wave of Vermik's

Action: Zap wand at 2E 3S vermik [1d10+2]=4+2=6
Move: 5W 1S

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Fascinating pack hunting behavior... oh right, have at thee!"

Action: Huck a knife at SE Vermik [1d10+1]=9+1=10 Minus some intervening wheat that I haven't internalized yet but who cares it finishes it off.
Move: 4W 1N

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"We're making progress comrades. Keep up the pressure."

Action: Huck a knife at S2E1 Vermik +1orchestrated -1 cover [1d10+1]=6+1=7
Free action: Quickcast 1MP Sentry Spark E3
Move: S1W7

Level up: +Vit +Warcry +Creature Lore

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 18, 2023

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Good shot! We're pushing them back."

Percival's next blade takes a snarling vermik through the eye.

Action: Huck a knife at S1E3 Vermik [1d10+3]=8+3=11
Free Action: Order sentry spark 1N
Move: Nah

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"And that's that for now. Such aggression from these poor beasts"

I'd like to act before Jenny moves in the way
Action: Huck a knife at E2 Vermik (+2 Guidance) [1d10+3]=7+3=10
Move: Lounge about

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Motionless

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"The numbers in the nest will be fearsome. We must hold them at the door or we could be overwhelmed!"

Percival scurries forward past the others to plug the gap. An arcane construct materializes opposite him to do the same.

Move: E6 N3
Free action: Quickcast Sentry Spark for 2MP S2
Action: throw a knife at closest Vermik, LOS permitting.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"My, look at the nest structure."

Move: None
Action: Huck a knife at S1E1 vermik (+2 guidance) [1d10+3]=4+3=7
Move Sentry Spark S1W1

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone leaps into action as the vermik turn their aggression on the farmer's building.

Before Camryn please
Move: S1
Shoot wand at E3N1 vermik d10+2 +2guidance
Order Spark N2E2 so it can attack

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Let us finish this, comrades."

Move: E2
Action: Zap wand at E2S1Vermik (+2 Guidance) [1d10+4]=7+4=11
Order Spark N1 E2

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"A moment, a moment. The spirit of inquiry moves me."

Percival searches the foul nest for anything that could explain the hapless creatures' near suicidal aggression.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Payment? Nonsense. Sheer nonsense."

[B]A[/bp

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Percy Delawney - Barrican

Percy waves absently at the young man hopping from the wagon to seek his fortune. The problem of the collared vermiks weighs more heavily on his mind than the obvious similarities (and pecuniary differences) of their stories. Perhaps he should write his own family. But ah, here's the garden of our patron. Once she has expressed her gratitude, he clears his throat.

"Ahem, I must add that the monsters themselves showed clear signs of domestication. And duplicity, judging by the almost complete removal of said signs! Shocking carelessness, really"

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Mameri posted:

"What... Signs of domestication... If I can ask..?"

Percival presents the partially severed collar. "The others had matted fur around the neck consistent with collars as well."

Belatedly switch housing to the dorm

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Mameri posted:

"..I hate to ask more of you, but if you would look into this further for me I'd appreciate it... But please.. Take time to enjoy your success first.."

Percy steps up to retrieve the collar. ”No imposition at all, Dame Mameri. I have an errand at the Buroughs' kennels just now and inquiring among the handlers there will be the work of moments.”

Percival heads to kennel to purchase a hound. Will wait til the market update to finalize order.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Percival's stride is particularly buoyaunt. Exciting things about and him right in the middle. He sweeps into the kennels with an infectious grin.

"Two things. I'm in the market for a pair of hounds, preferably with some combat or hunting training. And secondly, anything you can tell me about this collar?" He hands over the scrap for inspection.

Spend 15 Boroughs favor for a pair of Boroughs Hounds

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

The trail leads onward. Percy takes his time, getting to know Lingon and Currant. They prove clever and attentive to commands.

Eventually the unusual trio find themselves in a steady flow of people making their way to the arena. Ah right, the reopening. An excellent opportunity! Percy pays at the gate, getting hassled for bringing his new pets but insists he will share his seat and gestures down at his stature. The attendant shrugs and waves him through.

Percy watches the games while lounging against a pair of dogs. He lays a calming hand on Currant's head when the cheering grows loud. The matches are illuminating but Percy thinks he won't be a regular. He slips out of the stands ahead of the ending matches, the hounds at his heels. He slips a coin to a guard to make his way into the underworks of the arena. Lingon and Currant perk up at the scents of beasts and blood but Percy clicks his tongue to keep them focused on his commands. Eventually he spots a handler standing by some empty cages.

"Hello there. You look like a person who knows their way around fang and fur. Do you have time to look at something for me?" Percy brings out the collar. "Does this come from around here?”

Percy spends $2 on arena high seats.
Percy spends $1 bribing his way into the staff area.
Percy plans to attend the Three Candles celebration provided he has not been silenced to coverup a conspiracy

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Psst.” Percy hisses to draw Seauffer's attention. "They won't let me back there. Can you take over?"

Percy passes over the collar.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Contemporary Lore [1d10]=10

Percy makes his way to the rumored celebration at the Three Candles. He's familiar with the tale of its proprietress and the name from old caravan guards employed by his family. It is passing strange to be here in person, to see legends and the people who know them merely living, day in and day out. The atmosphere grows even stranger after Lienne's speech. It is at once somber and golden and defiant and inclusive. Helped along by flowing drink and treats covertly shared with his new hounds, Percival is quite taken away by feeling in the air. It is as if roots of burnished wood are pulling him down through living earth into history. Warmed beyond his usual blustery good mood into earnest and bittersweet joy, he makes his way to each of the Chosen Men in turn, offering them an introduction and a simple toast, ”To the past and every day after.” To Lienne and her companion, compliments on the establishment. To Brunell, merely the toast. And to Armahad, wisely saved for last, Percy lets himself be drawn into the toasting contest. He quite nearly overindulges (his third toast being in memory of a long extinct species of grasshopper) but manages to end the evening in a comforting haze rather than true excess.

Toast! Roll 1 [1d10-1]=4-1=3
Toast! Roll 2 [1d10-1]=6-1=5
Toast! Roll 3 [1d10-1]=10-1=9
Toast! Roll 4 [1d10-1]=2-1=1
Total = 18

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

"Always a pleasure to help a fellow seeker of knowledge."

Contemporary Lore [1d10]=8

Accept mission Aiding Brye Rynwell

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Percy Delawney - Passage to Silrane

A and on watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Percy Delawney - Passage to Silrane

"A fine plan. Lingon, Currant sit. Attend." Percy takes the opportunity to check the hounds' paws and give them scritches.

Move: None
Action: Comfort the hounds.
Lingon: Heel
Currant: 1W & Heel