Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Current sheet type situation:

quote:

Orlenda Bronze-Back Jarstavalsdaughter
Nandan God-talker of the Knowing God, Age 21.

STR 13 CON 9 SIZ 15 DEX 13 INT 16 POW 18 CHA 15
Dam bonus: +1d4 Size Strike Rank: 1 Dex Strike Rank: 2 Healing Rate: 2 hp/week.

Cultic and Magic Stats
Ernalda, Nandan Subcult, lay member.

Lhankor Mhy, initiate.
Rune Points: 3
Common Rune Spells learned: All.
Special Rune Spells: To be Determined.

Magic Points: 18/18

Elemental Rune sheet:
Air: 70% Earth 40% Fire/Sky 20%

Form/Power rune sheet:
Truth 75% Illusion 25%
Stasis 75% Mobility 25%
Fertility 50% Death 50%
Harmony 50% Disorder 50%
Man 50% Beast 50%

Passions:
Devotion (Ernalda) 60%
Devotion (Lhankor Mhy) 60%
Honor 70%
Love (Family) 60%
Loyalty (Arnoring Clan) 60%
Loyalty (Colymar Tribe) 60%
Loyalty (White Bull) 60%

Skill Ratings
Celestial Lore 40%
Cult Lore (Lhankor Mhy) 45%
Listen 35%
Read/Write (Thelayan script) 95%
Scan 35%
Search 35%
Speak Other Language (Tradetalk) 50%
Track 15%
(lots of others, just entered the highest ones and will be adding the rest as we use them)

Equipment and wealth
Geolmarth, an enduring and good-natured pony.
Esrolian military pick-axe.
Portable shrine to Lhankor Mhy, a locked crate with votive statue and some blessed scroll scraps within.
Worn bronze plate hauberk, open bronze helmet. Medium wicker shield with a few gouges in it. Courboulli (boiled leather) graves and vambraces, well used.
Woadstone talisman, spell container for the Shield rune spell.
Arnoring milita pack containing: Javelins, one-handed Orlanthi spear, daggers and a hatchet, as well as cloak, hat, waterskin and fire-pack.
Some drinking vessels and jewelry worth 80 lunars, and 136 silver lunars in coin.

Appearance
A young but imposing nandan, wearing a broad-brimmed hat and noble tunic, blouse and dress shirt. Has long auburn hair and a full beard, set with pearls and bronze jewelry.

1622: The Hero Wars are beginning

It was Clayday in Harmony Week of Earth season. You had come home from the exciting adventures of the past two years to help your family with the harvest, and there it was: A scaled, serpent rising out of a cloud of smoke in the distance. It looked small from there, but for it to be visible it would have had to be several kilometers long! It rose towards the red moon, attacking the goddess of the Lunar Empire, whose troops have occupied your ancestral home for so many years, directly!

Only much later the messengers would arrive, saying that the wyrm had appeared under the inauguration of the Temple of the Reaching Moon, killing a great many Lunar mages and generals, as well as half of their entire military! This shift in power is sending tidal waves over all of Sartar and Dragon Pass, and both civilization writ large, and small cults and bands unleash their doomsday plans, ancient curses and ambitious plots in response..

Much earlier

Your story starts with your ancestors, who brought many parts of who you are today, together, long before you were ever born.

Your favorite grandmother, Sena the Grey, was an adventurous soul. She started life as a herder, but fought against the Lunar Empires initial invasions along Boldhome in 1602. In the grim “interim years” of Lunar occupation, where the cruel occupiers set off Sartarite tribes against one another, she laid low and successfully herded both cows and pigs to keep your clan alive.

Your father, Jarstaval Farsarson, continued this legacy, training as a thane in the tribal armies. He would eventually join the rebellion of Kallyr, the “Starbrow”, and help her expel the lunars from Dragon Pass in 1613! His persistant guerilla attacks on the officials of Fazzur Wideread (the governor-general of the Lunar Empire in Dragon Pass), saw them outlaw him for 4 years, and the bitterness of his situation has taught you to hate the empire as well, robbing your family of a father and partner for so long.

Jarstaval would continue his long war, surfacing in 1619 to help the Hendriking peoples and their king, Broyar, to resist the Lunar invasion of their lands. At this point his luck ran out, and word has it he was consumed, body and soul, by the terrible Crimson Bat. You have a feeling the rumours are true, because the shamans of your tribe can no longer find his soul anywhere. The hate you feel for the Lunar Empire, to employ such a chaotic crime against the cosmos, and against your beloved kin to boot, has grown enormously since.

Now on to you. You are a sartarite youth of heortling descent, and you are pretty certain you’re a..

A) Man. Privy to the Storm Tribe’s secrets, yours is the responsibility to whoop, make war, drink the Eight Known Drinks, and lead your people in peace and strife alike.

B) Woman. Initiated into the deepest mysteries of the Earth Goddesses, you are expected to enact diplomacy, carry the most powerful of magic, and take up the spear and axe in defense of your tribe.

C) Either Man or Women, but living as Vingan (Orlanths female incarnation, man in womans body) or Nandan (Ernaldas male form, woman in mans body). Not strictly a trangender role, as genders are a matter actually created by the God Time itself and a matter of personal gnosis, but I suppose calling it transgender is the best way for modern people to understand it.

D) Helering or None, either the all-gender of the rain god or of no discernible gender, which might mean you’re a type of shaman or even a half-human with your Storm or Mobility rune replaced with another one entirely! Also, you drink the Eight Known Drinks, because gently caress those guys and their assumed privilege.

OOC Info and Disclaimer

Regular CYOA format, you play in the current timeline of Runequest Glorantha: https://www.chaosium.com/runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-hardcover/

Most stuff will be multi-choice, I’m open to suggestions for options I hadn’t thought of, but I will fiat decisions on draws or other things that take time to keep things running. I resolve to update at least once a month.

I must emphatically note that none of the cosmology, culture and history stuff is written by me, all rights reserved and eternal props go out to Runequest creators Gregg Stafford, Sandy Petersen and Jeff Richards, as well as the many awesome recognized fan supplement writers like Beer-With-Teeth and Diana Probst, Nick Brooke, Andrew Montogomery, as well as many more I can’t remember.

Tias fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Voting A.
Suggesting a Urox initiate with the life goal of slaying the crimson bat. (Not sure that would be possible)

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I think A or B has the potential to be more interesting since the majority of gender roles are fulfilled by people in these categories, but I think Vingans are cool and I don't think I've ever seen a Nandan in a narrative before, so C.

Also a little curious about Runequest. I was put off by it when it came out because it seemed a lot more like a kill monsters-get exp style rpg than Heroquest, hope I'm proved wrong!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Do it with all genders

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

D seems an interest option. Let's be all the genders and drink all the drinks.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I mean, all genders get to drink all the drinks. I just thought it was a funny turn of phrase :D

Chatrapati posted:

I think A or B has the potential to be more interesting since the majority of gender roles are fulfilled by people in these categories, but I think Vingans are cool and I don't think I've ever seen a Nandan in a narrative before, so C.

Also a little curious about Runequest. I was put off by it when it came out because it seemed a lot more like a kill monsters-get exp style rpg than Heroquest, hope I'm proved wrong!

RQ:G doesn't have XP. You eventually increase skills you use, and some have to be trained, but in general conflict is heavy to absurdly deadly and has to be planned somewhat.

Kanthulhu posted:

Voting A.
Suggesting a Urox initiate with the life goal of slaying the crimson bat. (Not sure that would be possible)

With enough loving gods, anything is possible, is my current impression of the cosmos

Tias fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 13, 2023

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Our grandmother was awesome. We will Be even more amazing.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
D. We can chug all the Eight Known Drinks at once.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Lots of people voting for Helering. Heler is a lame god and Helerings are weird, people. Vote for something good and dependable like male warrior, female god-talker or vingan berserker.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Kanthulhu posted:

Lots of people voting for Helering. Heler is a lame god and Helerings are weird, people. Vote for something good and dependable like male warrior, female god-talker or vingan berserker.

Helering or No Gender, though. There's room for variety.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

C, Vignans are great and I don't think I've ever seen a Nandan in a narrative before.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
C, Vinga rules.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

C, I know very little about Nandans and I'd want to know more.

E: I'm dumb

Tulip fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 14, 2023

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

Curious about the Nandan as well.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)

Tulip posted:

D, I know very little about Nandans and I'd want to know more.

Too bad you didn't vote for the Nandan option, then...?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kanthulhu posted:

Too bad you didn't vote for the Nandan option, then...?

Oops, edited, thank you for catching my illiteracy

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

All of the above are fine choices. (Interest post).

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

D I reject your gender, and replace it with my equivalent that is not a gender!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

C. Vignan life!

(It's also rad seeing D get traction)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, it looks like Big Gender Trouble in Little Sartar and I am here for it :getin:

We'll need to break the tie, or we'll play a non-binary/genderqueer transfemme berserker, so please vote.

You can add comment about whether we veer Nandan or Vingan if you vote C, or Helering or No-gender if you vote D, too, as I'll try to incorporate your wishes as much as I can.

Closing this tomorrow morning (16. february 8.00 CET), so I can get going to the profession vote.

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 15, 2023

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tias posted:

Yeah, it looks like Big Gender Trouble in Little Sartar and I am here for it :getin:

We'll need to break the tie, or we'll play a non-binary/genderqueer transfemme berserker, so please vote.

You can add comment about whether we veer Nandan or Vingan if you vote C, or Helering or No-gender if you vote D, too, as I'll try to incorporate your wishes as much as I can.

Closing this tomorrow morning (16. february 8.00 CET), so I can get going to the profession vote.

i'm totally down with being a nonbinary transfemme berserker

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

SerSpook posted:

i'm totally down with being a nonbinary transfemme berserker

Same

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I would have thought a Helering in Heortling society would still worship Orlanth and Ernalda through veneration of the Storm Tribe if nothing else. In my mind Orlanth and Heler go together (I'm sure they've gotten each other pregnant at various times) more than Ernalda and Heler, but saying that, my C vote is veering Nandan, just for the novelty. I don't know much about Nandan other than that they have control over the hearth.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Chatrapati posted:

I would have thought a Helering in Heortling society would still worship Orlanth and Ernalda through veneration of the Storm Tribe if nothing else. In my mind Orlanth and Heler go together (I'm sure they've gotten each other pregnant at various times) more than Ernalda and Heler, but saying that, my C vote is veering Nandan, just for the novelty. I don't know much about Nandan other than that they have control over the hearth.

Also, they're good at Astrology!

Well, worshipping Heler is actually worshipping Heler as well as their chosen cult, as it is worshipping the part of Storm tribe that is Orlanths lover, soldier companion and his loyal thane. Heler is also an incarnation AND son of Sshorga :D

If you go for a Nandan character, they would technically be initiates of Ernalda, Nandan subcult, though they/she would probably see themselves as Nandan. They're both understood as his son and an incarnation of her. In fact, only a minority of sects and clans understand Nandan as the son, most see it is a form of Ernalda.

Tias fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 15, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

The Myth of Genders

"The Six Paths", by Katrin Dirim

You’ve always been at odds with the divine marriage myths of your people. Orlanth the Father, Lord of the Storm Tribe, and Ernalda, Queen of the Earth Tribe, sets the general standard of partnership among the adults of your tribe. Fortunately, Orlanth the Lawspeaker set out laws for shirking those myths, too:

When Orlanth ruled the world, he brought many people under his great banner, uniting them in a massive kingdom, ruled by his son, Vingkot. With everyone brought together as a people, the differences between people became obvious, just as the differences between mortal and god had become obvious once Death had come into the world.

No one could agree on who did what work, as the Korsto Viv said it was the responsibility of everyone to wade in the rivers to gather fish, the Aranto Viv declared that only they would cut down trees, and the Ched Durkel refused to fight entirely.

This had all been all right when they lived in the Frozen Times, but now ways had changed, and they were now Vingkotlings, and their laws needed to change to follow the chaotic times. Orlanth the first Lawspeaker, who set the laws by which the Vingkotlings would live, and once again his son called upon him to organize the people.

Orlanth called his great ring together after much pestering by Heort and Vingkot, as to how the people should live. First he was uncertain, for even though customs are one way in the Godland, mortals might not need to be the same, and he listened to his advisors and took advice and debated like a good king. After many seasons, he summoned his household to set out the way for the people: Himself, Ernalda, Nandan, Vinga and Heler, to show the People who did what, and divided them into who followed the examples of which god in the House, and so to know their Place.

Thus, the Vingkotlings were divided into five, who knew themselves as Orlanthi, Ernaldans, Vingans, Nandans and Helerings. But some remained, outside of these ways.

“DID YOU HEAR ME?” Asked Orlanth. “ARE YOU NOT AWARE OF THE LAW?”

In spite of being very different, even among themselves, the remaining vingkotlings spoke as one:

“We are not like you, nor are we like the others. And we cannot be like the others, for that would deny us our own path.” And Orlanth understood, for denying them this freedom would be as wrong as denying them any other freedom.

“THEN YOU SHALL WALK YOUR OWN PATH, WITHOUT US TO GUIDE YOU. THIS WILL NOT BE EASY, BUT YOU MAY FIND YOUR OWN GODS OR SPIRITS TO GUIDE YOU.”

Walking the paths is also known as genders, and we walk in the footsteps of the gods. But what about what is beneath the cloak?

VOTING CLOSED. Next installment arriving later today...

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 16, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

Gender Trouble

Now, there is of course flesh underneath your cloak, and you were born as what Heortlings call male-fertile. There’s a twig and nuts down there, and you’re reasonably sure they could make a child if they had to. Nevertheless, this was never your gender.. you think. A precocious child, you enjoyed watching the stars, rootling for forage and weaving mats a lot more than whooping, fighting and woodworking. That’s not to say you couldn’t beat up some of the other kids who wanted to test you, naturally.

The elders noticed your expression of the Earth and Sky runes at an early age, and knew, even before your initiation, that something was going to be Up with you.

Initiation

When you came of hair, you were initiated, much as other males your age, by men dressed as terrible demons, aping the Uncles of Orlanth, and thrown into a deep pit where your fell into the God-Time itself. However, instead of facing one of the Five Pits as a man did, you slid deep into the earth. Here you lay as dead, cold, naked and afraid, being dogged by the beasts of the frigid fog until you made a deal witht them, and lost your Fear in the process.

Large roots grew from your knees, breast and mouth, as the verdant Green Age swam through you, and you were offered to bed Flamal himself. What happened there you don’t feel you have to tell others, but you came out with a knowledge of your importance as one tree in a mighty forest of ancestors and coming descendants, and lost your innocence.

You learn why you know how to weave the three baskets of your culture, and how Empress Earth made the basket shape to be the most important one, moreso even than the first spear. At this point you descend into the deep earth, and things start getting weird.

Choosing secondary cult

Your Nandan initiation brings you firmly under Nandan-Ernaldas guiding light, but you have a weird experience that you later interpret with your mothers help, as an encounter with..

A) Urox. You went deeper into the bowel of the world, facing down the mad Ragnalar and repulsive Thed, when they came to defend the Devil and spread his evil across the dead earth. A mighty bull-headed creature, smoke steaming from his nostrils and runes of immense power glowing on his carapace, bellowed in delight at your mastery of the fear of chaos. Urox is Orlanths brother, whose followers are impetous, angry and socially unconscious, traits that are accepted because they are, bar none, the most powerful fighters against the abominable forces of chaos.

B) Yelmalio. Spying a distant hill of gold, you decided to open the fire in your heart, and having your face raised to the sky, you understood that the Cold Sun had chosen you, and that driving back the darkness is the true measure of a Nandan. Understanding the ancient way of how promising taboos to the sun can give you magical power, your arms were encased in bands of molten light. Yelmalio, once known as Elmal in your culture, is the pre-eminent sky god in Sartar, providing martial organization and powerful social structure to his followers in Glorantha.

C) Humakt. While trying to heal the discord between the God-tribes, you suddenly understood that Compassion is the obverse blade from Death. Your shadow turned into a light gray cross shape, and you knew that you would forever be separated from your kin and species to serve the Sword instead. Humakts cult is one of the most esoteric, requiring the follower to both leave the all-comforting bonds of tribe and clan, but also to consider strenuous moral challenges.

D) Issaries. While trying to heal the discord between the God-tribes, you suddenly found your bronze tongue, making each tribe give up what they could live without to let each tribe keep what they truly cherished! Issaries, the Talking God, whose role in the lightbringers quest was to bring back the sacred spark of communication, now may guide your way in life. Issaries is not only the god who allows all cultures to communicate with each other, he is also the god of roads and trade itself.

E) Eurmal. Getting out of Yelm's throne room by lighting your own rear end on fire, your mind splintered in an invisible and unknowable way. You suddenly saw the Cosmic Joke behind a great curtain, with the knowledge that if you followed the Trickster, that joke might one day be known to you. Eurmal is too shallow to be real, yet one who brought back the light itself. An innocent victim, a murderer and an adulterer both, this god is one of the hardest to follow, as his followers are invariably shunned when not needed.

F) Daka Fal. You saw the trickster Eurmal steal Death from Humakt, and kill Grandfather Mortal behind a door, but the icy feeling that spread from beyond it, removed the joy and carelessness from both your childhood and the Gods Time. You were comforted by the spindly but strong hand of the Judge of the Dead, Daka Fal, and knew that you from this day on can draw strength from the dead to triumph in life. Daka Fal is the shared force of your ancestors, and is also the door to becoming a quite powerful Shaman.

G) Lankhor My. Peering out of the deep earth you saw the enormity of the starry sky, and behind each star was the Knowing God. “Come to me, nandan sister” the bearded one whispered. “Your path was always in the stars, and you must learn and learn and never stop, so that our combined wisdom will hold back the darkness.”. You went on to revive Ernalda, but knew that you must go to the temple-libraries for initiation once you complete your initiation rites.

H) Babeester Gor. You see a valley of peaceful and friendly folk, who nevertheless swear false oaths on Ernalda and Nandan, and hurt the very land with their false friendship. Rising out of the entrails of your dead mother goddess, you firmly grasp iron axes in your hands and murder every member of the dishonest ring. The Avenging Sister calls out to you from the Earth temples, and you know deep in your hear that you have been chosen to protect Ernaldas honour for evermore.

I) Something Else. (Ernalda/Nandan is already part of our initiation so cannot be chosen, we may look at Vinga or Orlanth Adventurous for a nb/transmasc reversion, though Babeester Gor above would be more appropriate pick. Also, more remote ideas like Argan Argar or Chalana Arroy might be floated, I'm open to ideas as long as they're in published books for RQ:G.)

Vote closes Saturday the 18th, 09.00 CET

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 17, 2023

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

G. The Knowing God's path will be interesting to uninitiated readers, and wearing the ceremonial fake beard as we evict our own is very...Gender.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
I know I suggested an Uroxi earlier, but Daka Fal seems more interesting for this character.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

H :black101:

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Slaan posted:

H dinosaurs

I think you might be voting for the other Gor, Maran. Babeester is beer and vengeance.
Edit: You edited your post so quickly!

Kanthulhu posted:

I know I suggested an Uroxi earlier, but Daka Fal seems more interesting for this character.

Yeah I agree with that. Daka Fal.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

No idea what edit talking about but I must proclaim vengeance for the Earth anyways because that is some Eurmali tripe there :argh:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm passingly familiar with the other options from King of Dragon Pass, so I'd like to learn more about F. Daka Fal.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 16, 2023

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

G

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

G

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

H :black101:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Anticheese posted:

G. The Knowing God's path will be interesting to uninitiated readers, and wearing the ceremonial fake beard as we evict our own is very...Gender.

To be fair, Nandans don't usually shave, they're coded more by garment, jewelry and the jobs they do. But yeah, it's gender as all :getin:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tias posted:

To be fair, Nandans don't usually shave, they're coded more by garment, jewelry and the jobs they do. But yeah, it's gender as all :getin:

In His immense wisdom, the Knowing God chose a worshiper who does not need help growing the requisite beard.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Life goals from most humble to most ambitious:

:love: Graduating from Ernalda/Nandan iniation school :eng101:
:love: Deciding between Lhankor My, Daka Fal or Babesteer Gor for our college major (And sticking to it) :haibrow:
:love: Becoming known as a wise, hardworking Gender in our tribe :agesilaus:
:love: Aiding the fight against the Lunars like our Gramma did :black101:
:love: Destroying the Red Moon :batuka:
:love: Dating that strong handsome Vingan warrior :blush:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Why not date TWO strong, handsome Vingan warriors? Triune marriages are canon, and you can enter contracts that last just a year :jewish:

Tias fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
G it up.