Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

bring me baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Anyway this is your reminder that the Cleveland Guardians, nee Indians, will be coming up on 75 years without a World Series win this season. Excited to see if they break the drought this year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thank the now Guardians for their years of ineptitude that brought us the greatest baseball comedy of all time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Monathin posted:

Anyway this is your reminder that the Cleveland Guardians, nee Indians, will be coming up on 75 years without a World Series win this season. Excited to see if they break the drought this year.

they had 3 wins in 2016

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Wacha signed with the Padres. They've got a pretty drat good starting 5 now.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Popete posted:

they had 3 wins in 2016

Just one shy, and I comfort myself with the knowledge that Aroldis Chapman is currently wasting away on the Yankees as their one (1) functional reliever.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Monathin posted:

Just one shy, and I comfort myself with the knowledge that Aroldis Chapman is currently wasting away on the Yankees as their one (1) functional reliever.

He's on the Royals now isn't he?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Mustached Demon posted:

He's on the Royals now isn't he?

Did he get traded in the offseason? I must have missed it if so.

Regardless, lmao

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He was also like the worst reliever in an otherwise solid pen last year to the point where the relationship ended because he threw a temper tantrum when they kept him off the playoff roster.

That's like when I skip a few years following a sport and then take part in a fantasy draft. "Ryan Braun is still good, right? Prince Fielder?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1625587259893510144

Wow! These are freaking huge. Or very small, it's impossible to tell.

https://twitter.com/MRTeevs/status/1625590274532724738

Oooh okay

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 14, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Monathin posted:

Did he get traded in the offseason? I must have missed it if so.

Regardless, lmao

He was poo poo last year and then refused to show up for a team workout so the Yankees cut him from their postseason roster. He then sat around in FA until the Royals decided to take a cheap flyer on him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah he was terrible and lost the closer role early last season but actually more in 2021. Then he kept getting hurt or just sucking and fell out of the Yankee bullpen rotation entirely. Then the Yankees left him off the first round playoff roster so he walked out on them and refused to take part in practices to possibly join in the second round. So then the Yankees cut bait and he became a free agent and no one touched him until the Royals decided to take a flyer. He won't finish the season in KC because either he'll pitch well enough to get traded at the deadline or he'll keep sucking and get cut.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the A's traded AJ puk to the Marlins for JJ Bleday. this is it, this is the year. we're going to lose 110 games.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

tadashi posted:

Sometimes I read comments

Lol

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1625587259893510144

Wow! These are freaking huge. Or very small, it's impossible to tell.

https://twitter.com/JesseNFriedman/status/1625588434831306752

It doesn't look like a huge change?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That's a terrible angle. Pretty big increase in base area.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Boomers will probably whine about it but it's good for player safety so that's cool

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They're 44% bigger, from 15" to 18" square.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

That's a terrible angle. Pretty big increase in base area.

Yeah I edited in a better shot in my post making fun of Bob. It's 3 inches to a side

Popete posted:

44% more and the same great price? It's practically a ...steal.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Yeah, that's a noticable increase

Still wonder how much of an actual effect it will have

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

New base is a goddamn pizza box.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Wish we coulda seen Ricky Henderson on the paths with those sacks

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Timby posted:

don't give manfred ideas

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

zoux posted:

Both Rangers and Astros games are blacked out not only in every city in Texas, but every state bordering Texas. Well if those people from El Paso would like to see the Astros they should get in their cars and drive 10 hours. Los Angeles is only an eleven hour drive, why not black Dodgers games out? Hell, but for the restrictions, think of all the El Pasoans who might consume D-Backs games in their home and deprive ownership of gate and concession revenue when they could simply drive six hours and a half hours to the park?
To continue to reiterate the point from last thread:

Football blackouts were(are?) about driving fan attendance... at least ostensibly.

Baseball blackouts are entirely about the carriage fees paid by nonfans who subscribe to the cable and satellite networks that include the RSN showing the games and have literally nothing to do with incentivizing live attendance.

The easy way to remember this is that football would(will?) let anyone watch once the game is sold out while baseball will black out even in the event of sellouts.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Popete posted:

Is this where I say a large pizza usually gives you more pizza than 2 medium pizzas?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

To continue to reiterate the point from last thread:

Football blackouts were(are?) about driving fan attendance... at least ostensibly.

Baseball blackouts are entirely about the carriage fees paid by nonfans who subscribe to the cable and satellite networks that include the RSN showing the games and have literally nothing to do with incentivizing live attendance.

The easy way to remember this is that football would(will?) let anyone watch once the game is sold out while baseball will black out even in the event of sellouts.

Thank you for the elucidation. I'm assuming there are a lot of contractual obligations to unwind to "fix" the problem, do you have any thoughts on what needs to happen such that I can pay MLB $9.99-19.99 a month to watch non-nationally televised games played by my team of choice?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The NFL doesn't black out games that aren't sold-out anymore.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

That’s literally what Alex Cora said today

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

Thank you for the elucidation. I'm assuming there are a lot of contractual obligations to unwind to "fix" the problem, do you have any thoughts on what needs to happen such that I can pay MLB $9.99-19.99 a month to watch non-nationally televised games played by my team of choice?

They need the local RSN's to not pay them enough money to include those blackouts in the contract, basically.

It's kind of interesting because it's probably not even a matter of "let the commercials through so the RSN can still get the ad revenue," because (my emphasis below)

Paracaidas posted:

RSNs (and channels like ESPN) oftentimes have the biggest carriage fees in the cable network soup that your provider is giving access to and also they won't accept being in anything but the base package, so they're getting money from every single subscriber even though probably less than a quarter of them are regularly watching those channels.

e: here's a variety article from 2020 with a chart of the highest ones. ESPN is more than triple the second highest fee ($7.64/mo vs $2.20 for TNT) even though they're only watched by 21% of subscribers.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 14, 2023

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

zoux posted:

All the teams negotiate their own broadcast rights with RSNs, so it will likely take a while to untangle the existing bullshit.

Regarding the larger bases, its dumb as hell that they keep implying that the bases being a few inches closer together will increase steals in some statistically significant way. It should reduce collisions, particularly at first base, which is a good thing. However, I would expect any substantial increase in stealing success rate would come from it being easier to evade a tag with the much larger base.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bandire posted:

All the team negotiate their own broadcast rights with RSNs, so it will likely take a while to untangle the existing bullshit.

Regarding the larger bases, its dumb as hell that they keep implying that the bases being a few inches closer together will increase steals in some statistically significant way. It should reduce collisions, particularly at first base, which is a good thing. However, I would expect any substantial increase in stealing success rate would come from it being easier to evade a tag with the much larger base.

I'm looking forward to the first article complaining that we're getting fewer infield hits because the first baseman is three inches closer to the fielders

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Beisbol. It is almost back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jesserogersespn/status/1625593192992342017

Oh good, more balks.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Will Kenley Jensen start getting balks now

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I don't know if analytics are this advanced yet, but I would be curious how many outs at first were within 3 inches of the bag and how many safe calls had the ball within 3 inches of the glove. My uneducated guess it the enlarged bases will favor the defense on close plays by a small amount, but nothing that will be noticeable on a single game basis.

Visually, it will be hard to discern an extra 44 square inches when watching the game from hundreds of feet away, unless you just watched a bunch of old highlights right before.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

this is a cool attitude but uh no way he had "a few more years left", his last season he was a below replacement level OF

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

this is a cool attitude but uh no way he had "a few more years left", his last season he was a below replacement level OF

based on the two previous years I bet he had at least two years left of one year guaranteed contracts with teams hoping he could find the magic and maybe trade him

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

With Joe West retired? I don't think so.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
John Jaso caught Felix Hernandez's perfect game and will always be a Mariners legend for doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was very confused for a minute because I had no memory of John Jaso ever being a catcher.