Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many ballgames do you guys see in person every year? I live 3-4 hrs away from Houston so I only make a couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

zoux posted:

How many ballgames do you guys see in person every year? I live 3-4 hrs away from Houston so I only make a couple.

Depends, but usually at least 4 or 5. I think I went to 3 games at Wrigley last year, one at Comiskey, and then one in Oakland and one in SF, so I guess that's 6.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wrigley is getting a Small Cheval and also:

quote:

Loaded Greek fries with gyro meat, feta, olives, tomatoes, red onions and more. Served up in a souvenir helmet.

A split bratwurst filled with ground beef, cheddar, mustard and sauerkraut known as a “burger brat.”

Crispy chicken bao buns with Thai chili sauce, cucumber, arugula and carrot.

Crispy chicken torta with cabbage and cotija cheese.

Quesbirria with barbacoa, onions and cheese on a flour tortilla with ancho chili sauce.

I also read they are selling a 26 oz beer in a cup shaped like a bat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

euphronius posted:

I’ve never heard of those people so probably not

Pache is a former consensus top 30 prospect guy who got called up way too early, didn't hit, and got immediately declared a bust. Many such cases, very tragic.

He very well could never develop but it's definitely a high upside lotto ticket the A's are morons to give up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sydin posted:

Pache is a former consensus top 30 prospect guy who got called up way too early, didn't hit, and got immediately declared a bust. Many such cases, very tragic.

He very well could never develop but it's definitely a high upside lotto ticket the A's are morons to give up.

Is he RH? Maybe they will platoon him with the disgusting guy .

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Once a year to see the Cubs @ Giants and 2-3 cheap A's games. That said it's all but set in stone that I'm moving back to Chicago this summer so depending how far outside the city I land that number could go up quite a bit soon.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Those all sound potentially good, indulgent but recognizable foods not just gimmicks.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

zoux posted:

Going to see the closest team (the Nationals) probably takes at least 45 to 60 minutes by car or metro, so lol

It may actually be easier to go see the Orioles

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I should probably go to more Cubs games, considering that a) i live a 20 minute bus ride and a 5-10 minute walk from the ballpark and b) i work in the loop, a 25-ish minute train ride to the ballpark

it is nice to just randomly decide to grab a bleacher from SeatGeek at like 4 PM, text bleacher jeff to ask him to save me a seat, and have a nice little evening

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

Poque posted:

Is Uecker still broadcasting? Wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't traveling simply due to his age.

He is! Although he doesn't travel for most road games their other radio and TV guys do. Usually there will be like one road series a year that he comes along for just because both him and the players seem to really enjoy it; one year they even got him his own customized Air Jordans for it I think.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

Probably at least a dozen. Last year I went to every Yankees game for a week trying to see Judge hit #61 in person so that inflated my numbers.

Sydin posted:

It's also a pretty savvy move by Philly since they can just use him as a late-inning defensive sub rather than needing him to start every day.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Hand Knit posted:

Anybody have big opening day plans?

Only opening day that counts is the home opener.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

zoux posted:

When I lived in St. Louis (for most of my life), I'd say I would average 5-10 games a year. Hopefully I am going to be moving back there soon, Detroit blows.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

mcmagic posted:

The Astros were a poverty dogshit franchise until they figured out how to tank pretty well a few years ago and have won based on that and a good deal of cheating. Their fans, especially in this thread, are getting a little too big for their britches.

This is Biggio / Bagwell era erasure and I won't stand for it.

But yeah, pretty much. That's kinda why we're so happy about the team since the tank. Mostly.

Anywho...

Yay, Opening Day is here! Time for baseball and beer!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

zoux posted:

The two closest teams to me are the Durham Bulls and Carolina Mudcats, I only go to a few games a year since I moved but I'd like to start going more often!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

My closest MLB team is a 10h drive but I do get to a handful of AAA games every year.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

nature is healing, tulips are coming up, the ivy is coming in, and jeff sullivan is sending Weird Names to jon bois again

https://twitter.com/based_ball/status/1641194181262716928?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1641132618354655242?s=46

That's great news.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mcmagic posted:

Their fans, especially in this thread, are getting a little too big for their britches.

Alright grandpa, time for applesauce and bedtime

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
We’re moving to Denver in a couple of months & will probably be within walking distance of Coors Field.

I don’t know anything about MLB ticket prices, but given that the Rockies flat-out suck, I guess I’ll try to attend any game that charges less than whatever my hourly wage breaks down to.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

We’re moving to Denver in a couple of months & will probably be within walking distance of Coors Field.

I don’t know anything about MLB ticket prices, but given that the Rockies flat-out suck, I guess I’ll try to attend any game that charges less than whatever my hourly wage breaks down to.

if you live within walking distance, you can get into almost any game for less than 15 bucks with a rockpile ticket, some are going to be less than 10 if it's not expected to be a special promotion or holiday.

lol minor league baseball rules: https://twitter.com/EugeneEmeralds/status/1638948922352869377?s=20

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kinda weird Moreno has no problem routinely handing out disaster FA contracts yet is dirt cheap everywhere esle

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

davecrazy posted:

I don't feel like waiting an extra two weeks for Blue Jays baseball.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In the past I'd go to 1 game per series in SD, so three here, plus maybe 3-5 in LA almost always on Sundays because it just makes the train travel easier.

This year with only two series in SD and the insane pricing (they want over $100 for top deck seats in May) I may only catch one here.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

zoux posted:

My son went to Illinois Tech which is basically across the street from Comiskey, so I would go to 4-5 games a year with him while baseball and school were in season. Now that he's graduated and I have a new reason to not support ownership, management, and on-field product? Who knows.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I've seen these! They seem large, unwieldy, and awesome

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

R.D. Mangles posted:

Not the same thing, but I'll be drinking out of these two tomorrow. Maybe shots for every Cease strikeout and chasers for every mention by Clemens of "Texas style baseball" (oh god I'm dead by the B3).

Geez am I ready for baseball.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve seen those bat cups but they seem like they’d be a pain to drink out of with that giant curved lip.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In 2019 I went to 26 games, including the ASG.

e: 2018 was apparently also 26.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Ok I would eat most of these or honestly most ballpark food atrocities but I’m very curious as to why they thought it was necessary to add anything extra to quesabirria tacos, one of nature’s perfect foods

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I want an app on my phone where I can check a box to say I'm at this game, then later on it tells me dumb stats or summaries of all the games I've been to that season etc. What was my team's record in games I attended? Or what was my favorite player's stat line in those games?

Essentially I want a "games I attended" filter on top of the Bref play index.

Honestly this should be integrated into the MLB app or the MLB Ballpark app.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have a closet full of broken baseball bats that I've been trying to figure out something to do with. I think I might make a few of them into mugs but like more normal sized.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Popete posted:

I have a closet full of broken baseball bats that I've been trying to figure out something to do with. I think I might make a few of them into mugs but like more normal sized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCsO5hF1lko

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

davecrazy posted:

I’ve blocked off time on my work calendar every year for the last 5 years so I don’t miss the radio call for the Guardian’s home opener. It makes spring happen.

“And we’re underway at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario!”

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I plan on watching the Cubs tomorrow in my lair with one of my infant twins while cubsposting in the gdt with one hand.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do not jerk off to baseball

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

RCarr posted:

Coward

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

RCarr posted:

How one chooses to celebrate opening day in the privacy of their home is their own business.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

decided to become an Edwin Rios Guy this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

decided to become an Edwin Rios Guy this season.

:hmmyes: