Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

posting smiling
the challenge: take a walk around your neighborhood and try to photograph every spider you see
the prizes:
  • the quantity prize for photographing the most individual spiders you will receive the title spider brethren and earn the right to host a future byob photography challenge
  • the quality prize for taking the spider photo that is my favorite you will receive the title of spider aesthete and earn the right to host a future byob photography challenge

my entry (i am not eligible for the prize, it's just an example of what is possible within the format)

the next two spiders look almost the same, but they were on two posts on opposite sides of the walkway to a house. i could not determine whether they were allies or enemies, or their attitudes to the owner of the house.

i spooked this spider by getting too close and he darted into a little hole, but you can see his leg

points of note
  • the challenge is not to take good pictures, or win the prizes, the challenge is just for you to try it. whether you get a single photograph or even find a spider is not relevant
  • if you aren't able to take photographs feel free to substitute with a drawing or poem or anything about the spider[s] you saw
  • the spirit of the challenge is to take pictures of wild outdoor spiders. however, feel free to just take pictures of spiders around your house if that's what works for you, but if you are a spider farmer with hundreds of spiders i just ask that you recuse yourself from the quantity prize
  • winners may redeem their right to host a future photography challenge by simply posting it
  • the right to host a future byob photography challenge may be given away or abdicated at the discretion of the winner. if no one decides to host one the tradition will simply die.

faq
  • how many spiders is that? 22 spiders. from 10:37pm to 12:04am that makes for over 0.25 spiders per minute. on a walk of 2.35 miles that's 9.36 spiders per mile.
  • how learn to take such good pictures? took lots of pictures
  • why are the pictures so dark? spiders are afraid enough as it is without using flash photography on them
  • how did you learn to find so many spiders? looked for a lot of spiders
  • how did you come up with the idea for this thread? posted a lot of threads
  • what will happen to me if i don't take the challenge? horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
This little lady was in the laundry room a while back. I usually just leave spiders to do their thing, I have webs all over the apartment.

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

posting smiling

Viginti Septem posted:

This little lady was in the laundry room a while back. I usually just leave spiders to do their thing, I have webs all over the apartment.

that's a really great spider photo. way scarier than any of the ones i see here. even though we have a lot of black widows here we don't have those i don't think.

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
I will try but I'm afraid it is too cold for spiders rn

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

posting smiling

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I will try but I'm afraid it is too cold for spiders rn

i didn't even think of this. i guess i'm learning a lot about how geography effects spiders.

posting smiling
do spiders migrate like birds, or hibernate like bears?

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
according to a popular pest control company:

"When it's cold, some spider species go through a process of cold-hardening to survive the winter. Beyond the chemical transformation in their bodies, many spiders seek shelter in piles of rocks, leaves or wood. Once snuggled up, spiders enter a slowdown state called diapause."

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

posting smiling

Sherbert Hoover posted:

according to a popular pest control company:

"When it's cold, some spider species go through a process of cold-hardening to survive the winter. Beyond the chemical transformation in their bodies, many spiders seek shelter in piles of rocks, leaves or wood. Once snuggled up, spiders enter a slowdown state called diapause."

sounds like a bear to me. the challenge can be extended to spring, or you guys who live in the winter can start digging up piles of rocks and wood. either way.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

posting smiling posted:

Yea, spiders fly south for the winter.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

posting smiling posted:

that's a really great spider photo. way scarier than any of the ones i see here. even though we have a lot of black widows here we don't have those i don't think.

Nah, she's just a wolf spider, they're harmless. Kansas has a variety called the Carolina wolf spider. They get big. Like up to 3-4 inches but they just eat bugs and aren't poisonous. They don't catch bugs in webs, but instead hunt their prey so you see them out and about during their hunts. They carry bebbies on their backs.

Stoner Sloth

posting smiling posted:

Viginti Septem posted:

Yea, spiders fly south for the winter.

well not exactly migration but many spiders do spread by flying - they basically use electrostatic forces and extend a long line of silk and this gives enough lift to carry small spiders into the air for a considerable distance. in fact they've found them at the same sort of heights domestic airliners fly at!

most 'modern' spiders, araneomorphs, do this but only a few species of more ancient spiders are able to such as australia's highly venomous mouse spiders. they are at least as dangerous as the sydney funnelwebs and found throughout most of australia (because unlike funnelwebs they spread by this 'ballooning' method of travel), fortunately they're far less aggressive and rarely bite humans and even more rarely inject venom

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Thinking of Charlotte's web when the bebbies all fly off saying, "bye bye!"

And now I'm sad.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

special bonus pic of Malachi the asian forest scorpion:

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

posting smiling

wow! do you live in spider alley or something? that's a really incredible collection of diverse and beautiful spiders. and is that really a wild scorpion from your neighborhood too? i'm starting to feel like my neighborhood isn't so hot for spider watching as i thought.

posting smiling

Viginti Septem posted:

Nah, she's just a wolf spider, they're harmless. Kansas has a variety called the Carolina wolf spider. They get big. Like up to 3-4 inches but they just eat bugs and aren't poisonous. They don't catch bugs in webs, but instead hunt their prey so you see them out and about during their hunts. They carry bebbies on their backs.

that's good to know. i will not panic if i find one in my neighborhood.

Stoner Sloth posted:

well not exactly migration but many spiders do spread by flying - they basically use electrostatic forces and extend a long line of silk and this gives enough lift to carry small spiders into the air for a considerable distance. in fact they've found them at the same sort of heights domestic airliners fly at!

most 'modern' spiders, araneomorphs, do this but only a few species of more ancient spiders are able to such as australia's highly venomous mouse spiders. they are at least as dangerous as the sydney funnelwebs and found throughout most of australia (because unlike funnelwebs they spread by this 'ballooning' method of travel), fortunately they're far less aggressive and rarely bite humans and even more rarely inject venom

since you appear to be the Spider Knower, can you tell anything about the species of this one? it started scooting away after i snapped it, so i couldn't get a more in focus picture, but you can kind of see that it has antenna or eye stocks on its head with little black balls on the end.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

posting smiling posted:

wow! do you live in spider alley or something? that's a really incredible collection of diverse and beautiful spiders. and is that really a wild scorpion from your neighborhood too? i'm starting to feel like my neighborhood isn't so hot for spider watching as i thought.

Ah, sorry, he's a pet. But the rest are local to southeastern virginia!

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

Shifty Nipples

posting smiling posted:

that's good to know. i will not panic if i find one in my neighborhood.

since you appear to be the Spider Knower, can you tell anything about the species of this one? it started scooting away after i snapped it, so i couldn't get a more in focus picture, but you can kind of see that it has antenna or eye stocks on its head with little black balls on the end.

I can't ID the spider for you but the things with the balls at the end are called pedipalps

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

Shifty Nipples

Viginti Septem posted:

I totally could be wrong but a narrow butt like that makes me think that's a dude spiderbro but again i'm no expert or anything.

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

Ass-penny

it's -3.3 C here so if I'ma post spiders they are probably going to be inside spiders. I do have a big pile of wood in the backyard, but :effort: and also with wind-chill it's colder. will probably inventory my house spiders this weekend.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

posting smiling

Sarah Cenia posted:

Ah, sorry, he's a pet. But the rest are local to southeastern virginia!

cool! are scorpions high maintenance pets?

Shifty Nipples posted:

I can't ID the spider for you but the things with the balls at the end are called pedipalps

thank you for spider knowledge. wikipedia says they're for taste and smell, so i guess it's not eye stalks after all, but still a cool spider.

rear end-penny posted:

it's -3.3 C here so if I'ma post spiders they are probably going to be inside spiders. I do have a big pile of wood in the backyard, but :effort: and also with wind-chill it's colder. will probably inventory my house spiders this weekend.

there's nothing wrong with house spiders. i forgot about seasons because i am living in my west coast elite bubble of southern california where spiders get to play outside all year long.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Shifty Nipples posted:

I totally could be wrong but a narrow butt like that makes me think that's a dude spiderbro but again i'm no expert or anything.

I have literally no idea. I'm just going off what another goon said when I first posted this. :o

Shifty Nipples

Viginti Septem posted:

I have literally no idea. I'm just going off what another goon said when I first posted this. :o

It's a lot easier to tell if you have both male and female to compare to each other

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Shifty Nipples posted:

It's a lot easier to tell if you have both male and female to compare to each other

Or if you ask them.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
:spiderguy:

Shifty Nipples

Viginti Septem posted:

Or if you ask them.

they are so small though its impossible to hear them without little spider sized megaphones and you dont find those around just anywhere these days

Shifty Nipples

there may have been a garfield cartoon about that

Finger Prince

I will take pictures of spiders. I saw some the other night in fact (well, their webs) by some exterior lights.
Can I share pictures of spiders that I have taken in the past, even though they aren't eligible for the contest?

Areola Grande

Finger Prince posted:

I will take pictures of spiders. I saw some the other night in fact (well, their webs) by some exterior lights.
Can I share pictures of spiders that I have taken in the past, even though they aren't eligible for the contest?

no they have to be wintertime tundra spiders

posting smiling

Finger Prince posted:

just post

Areola Grande

missed u bud :wave:

I'm working on my spider stake out game. be patient pls

Finger Prince

Areola Grande

holy poo poo! :bighow:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

posting smiling

Areola Grande posted:

missed u bud :wave:

I'm working on my spider stake out game. be patient pls

:horse:

posting smiling

whahhh, where'd you find these little guys?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

2 cold 4 spiders here, unfortunately

posting smiling

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

2 cold 4 spiders here, unfortunately

at this point i'm going to have to challenge someone to photograph some snow so i know you all aren't making it up to avoid going near the spiders.

Finger Prince

posting smiling posted:

whahhh, where'd you find these little guys?

The jumping spider was in Lima, Peru. The big one with the funky butt was also in Peru but I don't remember exactly where. The last 3 were in Toronto by the lake. I have one from my trip to Japan in December on my computer but it'll be a while before I can post it. Spiders are cool photo subjects. I used to have a macro lens for my old camera that was ace at taking close up bug pics.

Finger Prince

I was going through my Flickr albums and found a golden orb weaver from Australia

posting smiling

Finger Prince posted:

The jumping spider was in Lima, Peru. The big one with the funky butt was also in Peru but I don't remember exactly where. The last 3 were in Toronto by the lake. I have one from my trip to Japan in December on my computer but it'll be a while before I can post it. Spiders are cool photo subjects. I used to have a macro lens for my old camera that was ace at taking close up bug pics.

do you travel specifically to find spiders, or just a coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

posting smiling posted:

do you travel specifically to find spiders, or just a coincidence?

Coincidence, but when you've got camera out in the world and are looking for something cool to take a picture of, chances are you'll find a spider (or other cool bug!)