Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
:discourse:

Incredible spider pics, fp

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

posting smiling posted:

that's good to know. i will not panic if i find one in my neighborhood.

since you appear to be the Spider Knower, can you tell anything about the species of this one? it started scooting away after i snapped it, so i couldn't get a more in focus picture, but you can kind of see that it has antenna or eye stocks on its head with little black balls on the end.

well i know a little about spiders and spider venoms, mostly australian ones lol

i can't really tell much from that but tentatively it looks kinda like a huntsman spider in that pic but it's hard to be sure - there are just so many kinds of cool spiders out there!!

if it didn't make a web, was relatively flat bodied, moved quickly and very probably was found on a wall or a tree... then a huntsman might be a possibility depending on what part of the world you're in

as to the pedipalps - one cool thing is that apart from being sensory organs, these are used in spiders for reproduction (both in terms of courtship and the physical act itself). in male spiders the pedipalps are thickened or bulbous as a result.

Stoner Sloth

also great spider pics everyone! i'll try and get some too but i kinda suck at photos

Ass-penny

Areola Grande posted:

no they have to be wintertime tundra spiders

there is an entire southern hemisphere where it is early fall right now, you know

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

posting smiling posted:

cool! are scorpions high maintenance pets?

I'd say if you can keep a plant alive, a lil asian forest scorpion should be happy. This type especially is very chill as far as murder lobster looking animals go and as long as they have occasional food, a heat mat to one side of the enclosure, and places to hide, they're good to go. This dude is so laid back I think you'd have to really mess with him to get stung.

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

Shifty Nipples

Finger Prince posted:

I was going through my Flickr albums and found a golden orb weaver from Australia

those are biiiiig pedipalps

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

Shifty Nipples

Sarah Cenia posted:

I'd say if you can keep a plant alive, a lil asian forest scorpion should be happy. This type especially is very chill as far as murder lobster looking animals go and as long as they have occasional food, a heat mat to one side of the enclosure, and places to hide, they're good to go. This dude is so laid back I think you'd have to really mess with him to get stung.

is there a little dude (non gendered dude it's early i'm sorry i don't word well in the morning) hiding in your avatar or is it all plants and i'm just seeing things

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Shifty Nipples posted:

is there a little dude (non gendered dude it's early i'm sorry i don't word well in the morning) hiding in your avatar or is it all plants and i'm just seeing things

nah, it's all plants. but a lil dude in there is a good idea...

Stoner Sloth

a couple of pictures of a huntsman spider on my fence

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

rear end-penny posted:

there is an entire southern hemisphere where it is early fall right now, you know

that's true my bad

posting smiling

Stoner Sloth posted:

wow that's a seriously beefy spider

Khanstant
do spiders ever shave??

Stoner Sloth

posting smiling posted:

wow that's a seriously beefy spider

i think cause it's a relatively small one - they get to about hand size (with fingers spread) here but it's mostly legs despite having a pretty decent sized body

i really like them cause they don't leave cobwebs and stuff but they eat like every annoying bug going. also they live on walls and ceilings so you don't have to worry about treading on them! imo great spider all round

posting smiling

Stoner Sloth posted:

i think cause it's a relatively small one - they get to about hand size (with fingers spread) here but it's mostly legs despite having a pretty decent sized body

i really like them cause they don't leave cobwebs and stuff but they eat like every annoying bug going. also they live on walls and ceilings so you don't have to worry about treading on them! imo great spider all round

don't let your guard down just because a spider is on the ceiling. i had one walk out over my computer desk and drop onto my keyboard a few weeks ago.

Stoner Sloth

posting smiling posted:

don't let your guard down just because a spider is on the ceiling. i had one walk out over my computer desk and drop onto my keyboard a few weeks ago.

lol yeah had that before with other spiders but huntsman don't tend to do that, they like flat surfaces and are active hunters rather than using webs much so they will happily run around the ceiling for days and then take themselves back outside.

posting smiling

Stoner Sloth posted:

lol yeah had that before with other spiders but huntsman don't tend to do that, they like flat surfaces and are active hunters rather than using webs much so they will happily run around the ceiling for days and then take themselves back outside.

that sounds just like my life except the floor instead of the celing.

biosterous

possibly-dead spider that crawled into the cover for the bathroom nightlight

a much better bug to be in there than house flies, as the spider does not make a buzz that gets amplified by the cover and sound kinda hellish

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

this morning the spider is no longer there, so possibilities:
1. spider is/was alive, and left
2. spider is/was dead, and vanished somehow (disintegrated? ate by another spider?)

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

biosterous posted:

2. spider is/was dead, and vanished somehow (disintegrated? ate by another spider?)

Spider Houdini

Stoner Sloth

biosterous posted:

what if it was... a g-g-ghost spider?!! :ghost:

posting smiling

biosterous posted:

activated cloaking

posting smiling
the time for judgement is here.

for these seven spectacular spider snaps the quantity prize is awarded to Sarah Cenia. you are hereby known as Sarah Cenia Spider Brethren and have earned the right to post a byob photography challenge thread at your discretion.

Sarah Cenia posted:

special bonus pic of Malachi the asian forest scorpion:

and moving on to the quality prize... it's the cuddly little guy everyone wants to hug... the huntsam on Stoner Sloth's fence. you have earned the title Stoner Sloth Spider Aesthete and the right, should you choose to exercise it, to post a photography challenge at a time of your choosing.

Stoner Sloth posted:

thank you to EVERYONE who shared their experience with photographing spiders, the climate where they live, and theories about where spiders go in the winter. we may never know, but the riddle will torment us forever!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Congrats to you both! Go forth with love 😘

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
!!!!
thank you, it's an honor! :cheersdoge:

Stoner Sloth

congrats to fellow winner Sarah Cenia :cheersdoge: and thank you Posting Smiling, i enjoyed this thread and all of the pictures! and i'll tell my huntsman friend that she won, am sure she'll be stoked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

E:This little dude was chilling with me on the steps a couple summers back. I had a couple tall cans with it not loving off. We had a great time in the sun until I noticed I hadn't looked at the step for a few mins and they were gone. Not sure what kinda spiderbro I had around that day, but I love some aslong as they stay off my face or kid.

Couldn't find a photo from 8 years ago when the wife was cleaning the enclosed deck of her house and came in to tell me about a spiderweb on one side blocking a door(the couch on the other side of the door was blocking the door much more) so I went to see and it was just a cute little nickel sized spider with a pretty good base built, since we rarely went out there. I told her to leave it. We had some nice spiders and no flies.

still can't get phone posting to work. finished my stuff and got home.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 27, 2023

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021