Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

fart simpson posted:

it’s not true, bob dobbs is wrong

I agree, fart simpson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

the somewhat rarer goon "in europe this is abnormal"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I think he's probably just mid sentence in that photo I don't think thats a smile

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ADINSX posted:

I think he's probably just mid sentence in that photo I don't think thats a smile

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pov: the last thing a cupcake ever sees

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

pov: the last thing a cupcake ever sees

hmm maybe it IS a threat display

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you want paul ekmans experiments with just-contacted Fore tribesmen. the universal is the eye thing

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

you hold a smile for eight hours while some nerd with a brush paints a picture and tell me how it goes

at the end of my wedding photos i remember my mouth hurting from smiling for so long

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rotor posted:

yeah i've always thought its weird that we have this bared teeth thing as an indicator of friendliness, what other animal does that?

on that note, what other kinda animal enjoys rubbing their eat holes together for fun

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you want paul ekmans experiments with just-contacted Fore tribesmen.

i dont think i do

Shame Boy posted:

on that note, what other kinda animal enjoys rubbing their eat holes together for fun

bonobos apparently

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also peep table 7 in this chapter here and note the sumatrans were materially worse in the 80s at the happiness judgement because there was bared upper teeth

https://psu.pb.unizin.org/psych425/chapter/facial-expressions-basic-emotions-theory/

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

for instance here's a picture of some famously globalized north korean soldiers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also peep table 7 in this chapter here and note the sumatrans were materially worse in the 80s at the happiness judgement because there was bared upper teeth

https://psu.pb.unizin.org/psych425/chapter/facial-expressions-basic-emotions-theory/

i'm not sayin its not cultural i'm sayin blaming everything on americans is dumb

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

tis guy was the most americanized person i can think of, really

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
he aint showin his teeth

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

he aint showin his teeth

are you blind

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Participants living in isolated cultures showed high recognition rates for happiness and the majority of participants correctly identified sadness and anger

For all countries, even the isolated Minangkabau, a majority of participants selected the correct emotion label. For the multiple-emotion judgment task, participants in all cultures provided the most intense rating for the emotions predicted in Table 7. For instance, in the single-judgment task, if participants checked happiness for photo A, in the multiple-judgment task for the same photo A they rated happiness as most intensely present out of all seven emotion labels.

In a later study (Ekman & Friesen, 1971), Fore tribe participants (adults and children) were told a story (see Table 4) and then shown a set of three faces. Participants were then asked to select the face that matched the emotion described in the story. Table 4 and Table 5 display results from adult and child participants, respectively. The majority of adult participants selected the correct photos for all six emotions.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lips evidently covering the teeth, to look less threatening

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

Participants living in isolated cultures showed high recognition rates for happiness and the majority of participants correctly identified sadness and anger

For all countries, even the isolated Minangkabau, a majority of participants selected the correct emotion label. For the multiple-emotion judgment task, participants in all cultures provided the most intense rating for the emotions predicted in Table 7. For instance, in the single-judgment task, if participants checked happiness for photo A, in the multiple-judgment task for the same photo A they rated happiness as most intensely present out of all seven emotion labels.

In a later study (Ekman & Friesen, 1971), Fore tribe participants (adults and children) were told a story (see Table 4) and then shown a set of three faces. Participants were then asked to select the face that matched the emotion described in the story. Table 4 and Table 5 display results from adult and child participants, respectively. The majority of adult participants selected the correct photos for all six emotions.

the universals are raised cheekbones and the eye thing, not the teeth, is the point i was making, not that there were not universals

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

wild how american cultural influence reaches back to the 1760s

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lips evidently covering the teeth, to look less threatening

Glazed ceramic sculpture of Budai. Ming dynasty, 1486.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Caravaggio, known US psyop agent

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

take the L, bob

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we'll have to agree to disagree

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Zhejiang, China. Northern Song dynasty, 11th century.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

wild how american cultural influence reaches back to the 1760s

i'm getting word that american culture reached back in time to poison Holland in the early 1600s

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

i'm getting word that american culture reached back in time to poison Holland in the early 1600s

shocking!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

all these guys are clearly using teh internet

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

yeah i've always thought its weird that we have this bared teeth thing as an indicator of friendliness, what other animal does that?

dogs but incidentally as part of happy panting i guess?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shame Boy posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shame Boy posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i mean, your own study link you dropped says even the most isolated culture they found still had a strong majority of people identifying those photos as "happy" and that children did better than adults. did you expect nobody would actually skim it? it outright says their studies support the hypothesis that emotions and facial expressions are largely biological

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you'll have to agree to being wrong is what we'll have to agree to

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

i mean, your own study link you dropped says even the most isolated culture they found still had a strong majority of people identifying those photos as "happy" and that children did better than adults. did you expect nobody would actually skim it? it outright says their studies support the hypothesis that emotions and facial expressions are largely biological

it is absolutely biological. based upon the eye thing and cheekbones, not teeth. as i said like 3 times now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it is absolutely biological. based upon the eye thing and cheekbones, not teeth

that link doesnt mention teeth. it shows pictures of people smiling showing their teeth though and says this:

In addition, the overwhelming recognition rates demonstrated by children further supports evolutionary theory – which suggests emotions are biological adaptations and thus should be expressed in young children.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

you'll have to agree to being wrong is what we'll have to agree to

frankly, its this.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
citation for that formation of the happy face is ekmans 1993 review

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Shame Boy posted:

lots of animals groom and preen each other with their mouths, and the lips and tongue are among the most touch-sensitive tissues in the human body

i suspect that the finer details of kissing in humans is culturally absorbed, as there is considerable variation

a lot of human behavior is typical primate stuff except with layers of anxiety and self-denial on top

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i kiss in a big bed with my wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

citation for that formation of the happy face is ekmans 1993 review

ekman says that showing your teeth while happy is an american cultural export? i somehow dont think thats true. evidence: that stuff rotor & i posted up page