Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

I’ve never touched the sides of those and they work pretty great at drying my hands :smugbert:

yes well you and trumo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

I’ve never touched the sides of those and they work pretty great at drying my hands :smugbert:

Ok asymmetric tiny hands

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

just give me paper towels god drat it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

quiggy posted:

fun fact 10g isn't even a branding trick for a mobile network, it's what they're calling their 10gb fiber service. i got curious and looked it up and lolled/lmaoed

oh no, not even that. they don't have a 10 gig fiber service. they do have a FTTH service that's now 6Gb, but it's not listed anywhere, has limited availability, and is apparently very difficult to actually get.

the 10g is total bullshit marketing, their "10g network". go ahead, go to their site, big "xfinity 10g network" thing advertising 200Mb service.

pretty much all the cable ISPs can go gently caress themselves

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I don’t like when the marketing says poo poo like “1 gig speed!”. wtf does that even mean?!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it clearly means 1 gig of speed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
one thousand milligigs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

akadajet posted:

I don’t like when the marketing says poo poo like “1 gig speed!”. wtf does that even mean?!

exactly what it says on the tin, this connection here is 1 gig speed

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i like that centurylink advertises their gigabit as 940mbit -- the speed you get at layer 3, once ethernet has taken its hit

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

haveblue posted:

one thousand milligigs

gigillionaire

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

getting increasingly excited at the progress the fibre layers are making, should have it up in the next couple months

atm there’s just like 10feet of optical fibre coiled up and sticking out the middle of the front yard

theoretically bell is offering up to 3gb connections but lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

akadajet posted:

enough amphetamine to get you through your next show.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Midjack posted:

enough amphetamine to get you through your next show.
lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

getting increasingly excited at the progress the fibre layers are making, should have it up in the next couple months

atm there’s just like 10feet of optical fibre coiled up and sticking out the middle of the front yard

theoretically bell is offering up to 3gb connections but lol

you can get 8gbps in my neighbourhood in toronto now though bell

i don't have anything other than steam and microsoft cdns that can saturate my 1.5/940, so i can't see spending a grand on new networking equipment just to use it

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i might move back to the bay area soon and am hoping to find some place with this service: https://www.sonic.com/residential/internet

10gbit residential

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

honestly i can't remember the last time i cared about my download speed. i have 400 megabit and nothing i do at home is bottlenecked by that in any way that matters. oh i have to wait 20 minutes to play a new enormous steam game. ho hum. everything else is done in seconds.

upload speed though. i don't upload large files all that often but when i do jfc. cable sucks balls for that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

honestly i can't remember the last time i cared about my download speed. i have 400 megabit and nothing i do at home is bottlenecked by that in any way that matters. oh i have to wait 20 minutes to play a new enormous steam game. ho hum. everything else is done in seconds.

upload speed though. i don't upload large files all that often but when i do jfc. cable sucks balls for that

ya that’s what i’m most excited for

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

this is why i have the 1.5/940 service, because they didn't have 940 mbit upload for any other consumer tier at the time.

i work from home and the few times i need to put large files somewhere, it's basically paid for itself

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

this is why i have the 1.5/940 service, because they didn't have 940 mbit upload for any other consumer tier at the time.

i work from home and the few times i need to put large files somewhere, it's basically paid for itself

i feel like 1.5mbit download wouldn't be very useful even with that upload

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
take off every 'gig'

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
for great justice

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

i feel like 1.5mbit download wouldn't be very useful even with that upload
It's for cool people who just post into the Internet without reading it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

we have gigabit-ish download and, idk, 30mbit or so upload? it's not as good as symmetric but it's never actually been a problem

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have 2 gig down and 500 up and I don't even need that, have it because it's the only unlimited plan from the only isp in the area

i'd do something like 500/100 and be happy if it was offered without a data cap

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have symmetric gig and I wouldn't go back to asymmetric, uploads just going instantly is great.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Celexi posted:

I have symmetric gig and I wouldn't go back to asymmetric, uploads just going instantly is great.

yeah same/agreed, it's great for have my plex server available when i travel

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

we've got the entry level 300/100 fiber for around US$50/mo, with upgrade options starting at 870/500 for US$57/mo, up to 8000/8000 for US$180/mo. all uncapped and no contract. but latency quickly becomes the bottleneck for most stuff because lol nz

but the best part is if we don't like our isp we can be on another one within around 24h because it's common carrier

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:rip: First Republic

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

you know what was pretty great? hand towels

yep

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

pretty much all the cable ISPs can go gently caress themselves

:hai:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you dont have a municipal open fiber network connected to your house that lets you choose from 20+ diffrent isps just lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Celexi posted:

I have symmetric gig and I wouldn't go back to asymmetric

:smith:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

all Dyson products apart from vacuum cleaners and maybe the fans are poo poo and their vacuums are way too expensive now

I've posted it before but I know someone that worked for them and everyone in their building hated those hand driers as well. absolute trash.

james dyson is also unsurprisingly a total dick as well

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

x-post from the bitcoin thread: llm based ai is going great

the thread is worth a read, but tl;dr:
https://twitter.com/BeecherDenys/status/1647971001785778177
https://twitter.com/BeecherDenys/status/1647971007481753601

the company replies further down and basically refuses to understand that their service doesn't actually work as claimed

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

it was funny like five (ten?) years ago when dyson designed an electric car and couldn’t get anyone to give them money to build it

a bar that even faraday future, nicola, and like a dozen other scam ev companies managed to clear

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Chris Knight posted:

:rip: First Republic

bdid this morning when he opens this thread

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the company replies further down and basically refuses to understand that their service doesn't actually work as claimed

they are paid to pretend to not understand op. always assume malice, not incompetence

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
how dumb can things get? very!
https://twitter.com/foldablehuman/status/1652512345724424193

https://twitter.com/rokomijic/status/1651740662436339713

since Roko's a Blueboy, he gets to post Looooooong tweets:
I'm thinking of drafting a "𝐇𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐔𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐮𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲" contract for people to sign.

It would specify the following deal amongst all humans in the multiverse:

- We will all work together to create a human-positive singularity in which the cosmic endowment will be shared
- The formula for sharing the cosmic endowment will be a A%/B%/C% split:
-- A% will be allocated to people in a way that a superhuman intelligence trained to tell the truth believes will optimally incentivize people to create a positive singularity satisfying this contract
-- B% will be allocated according to the existing distribution of legacy wealth and power in the world as of the date GPT-4 was released (March 14, 2023), determined as above
-- C% (the rest) will be a Universal Basic Cosmic Endowment (UBCE) that is equally split amongst all humans

A, B and C are to be determined, but as a baseline C will be roughly the % of global income that goes to unemployment benefits, charity and so on. A% will be roughly the % of global income that goes to self-made billionaires, entrepreneurs, disruptive business people, socially mobile professionals who didn't have massive family money (again, to be determined). B% will be all the rest.

Additionally there will be punishment for Singularity Criminals who deliberately try to reduce the expected size of humanity's Collective Cosmic Endowment, or to commit theft (i.e. trying to grab a larger share than they are entitled to in this contract).

We agree to run simulations to catch and punish such Singularity Criminals, with punishments determined in a way that a superhuman intelligence trained to tell the truth believes will optimally minimize the expected amount of humanity's Collective Cosmic Endowment knowingly destroyed by Singularity Criminals.

Shares of the cosmic endowment will be administered by an AI which will allow people to do anything they want, subject to rules against using it for violence that other humans would object to, i.e. you cannot make a copy of someone in your share and harm them. The details of Postsingularity Law will necessarily be complex but in order to avoid bickering our way to doom we will set a sensible baseline [more to come here] and define a condition for a truthseeking AI to fill in the details.

This "𝐇𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐔𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐮𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲" contract will first be posted as a petition and then we will expect all prominent workers in AI and policy to sign it, and eventually most of humanity to sign.

I will gladly be the first signatory.

(part 2)
We may be able to ensure a positive singularity by using modern cryptographic techniques to run all important AI software on machines that can cryptographically prove that their operation is governed by the "𝐇𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐔𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐮𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲" contract. It would therefore not be possible for someone to run any AI not governed by this contract, or at least it would be made very hard and punishment could come causally or acausally.

As AI takes over more functions like manufacturing, military, governance etc, this would eliminate all human conflicts and allow people to simply cooperate our way to utopia.

https://twitter.com/esyudkowsky/status/1651786485862125569

https://twitter.com/esyudkowsky/status/1651985739926867968

https://twitter.com/rokomijic/status/1651991088247218177

v. smrt.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i also smoke weed, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005