Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

lol

these fuckers just dumping a bunch of plastic in the ocean instead of giving them away to kidults. i suppose that would further saturate the market and hurt the value of kidult collectibles though

presumably it will actually wind up in landfills and not just dumped in the ocean so this is a net positive for the environment you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

FrozenVent posted:

nobody wants them, they’re useless as toys

if i saw those things at the kwik-e-mart and they were free with any purchase i'd probably get one and give it to my nephew

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Roosevelt posted:

if i saw those things at the kwik-e-mart and they were free with any purchase i'd probably get one and give it to my nephew

good news, they supposedly have over $200 million worth of inventory

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Spatial posted:

that was my first thought as well lol

a much better tweet would be:

"The maker of the Funko Pop! collectibles plans to toss less than $0 worth of its inventory, after realizing it has more of its pop culture figurines than it can afford to hold on to."

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Beeftweeter posted:

good news, they supposedly have over $200 million worth of inventory

as of August 1st, i am only allotted $30 per week on purchasing Funko Pops

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
well this can only make your existing funky plops more expensive, so its good really

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

exe cummings posted:

tangentially related to tech bubble, there are too many funko pops so they’re skipping the collector step and putting them directly in the landfill:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1632441427698253832?s=20

if so much as one horrendous man in a fedora goes digging through a landfill for those junko fucks, it will all have been worth it

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
future archaeologists will excavate landfills and use sedimentary strata of funko pop figurines to piece together the timeline of the marvel cinematic universe

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009
i hope they bury them in the desert next to the E.T. Atari cartridges

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I want a list of which pop culture figurines are getting worried

just so I can go “no idea who that is” at all of them

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

presumably it will actually wind up in landfills and not just dumped in the ocean so this is a net positive for the environment you see

it will form a base for Funko Gardens, a multi-unit community of 3,4, and 5 bedroom homes starting at 700+

they will eternally smell like offgassing vinyl

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
so will collectors figure out which landfill this is and break in to dig them back up

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

sounds like they aren't worth 30 million dollars, then

thats the tax break they’ll get for writing them down!!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

hopefully it's a waste-to-energy facility

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

loving lol

how are these fucks still in business, who buys this crap?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

loving lol

enough people love brands

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
ten times the price and less utility than an actual slurpee, what a deal

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

they really did it, they made a pop of every character that ever existed and are moving on to inanimate objects

mystes
May 31, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

I think the problem is their whole business model is just trying to sell infinite funko pops to a relatively small number obsessive collectors or people who think they'll be able to sell them on ebay for more money later, so they just have to keep churning them out

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Somewhere there's somebody designing injection molds for this crap, and they're probably gonna be out of a job soon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they are about to be not still in business because no one’s buying this crap

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

just like beanie babies are now worth a millionty billion bucks, these will be too one day, just you wait

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mystes posted:

I think the problem is their whole business model is just trying to sell infinite funko pops to a relatively small number obsessive collectors or people who think they'll be able to sell them on ebay for more money later, so they just have to keep churning them out

sounds like the monkey nfts

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

they are about to be not still in business because no one’s buying this crap
but but who could say no to such tasteful objects d'art as this?

its the joker - but hes also a gamer!!1! #totallysick #twisted

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
remember, they made a funco pop of laura palmer, wrapped in plastic

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

haveblue posted:

so will collectors figure out which landfill this is and break in to dig them back up

They absolutely will

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you know, the teenager who was sexually abused and then murdered by her father?

her dead body, as a funco pop. you could put it on your knickknack shelf

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

holy gently caress they did

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FrozenVent posted:

the cyanotic blue lips are a nice touch

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

sounds like the monkey nfts
I guess at least the monkey nfts are just causing co2 emissions or whatever and not zillions of tons of plastic waste

edit: I guess I'm not factoring in GPUs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

there's tasteless and then there's tasteless

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FrozenVent posted:

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

surely you gotta at least do the smiling portrait laura palmer, you know, the image that appears at the end of every episode of the show. instead of the dead body

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

mystes posted:

I guess at least the monkey nfts are just causing co2 emissions or whatever and not zillions of tons of plastic waste

edit: I guess I'm not factoring in GPUs

plastic waste is technically carbon storage, it’s just that the carbon already came from underground initially

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

loving lol

picture the kind of nerd who obsessively collects anime figures. now, and i know this may be difficult to conceptualize, picture someone two or three steps below that.

that's the kind of person who may buy a single funko pop

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fart simpson posted:

surely you gotta at least do the smiling portrait laura palmer, you know, the image that appears at the end of every episode of the show. instead of the dead body

market research shows that the people who collect our products would prefer the child's corpse

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
true crime enthusiasts are in fact total weirdos

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

lmao

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

you can get it on eBay surprisingly cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
54 cad is not surprisingly cheap, christ