Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

remember beagle bros

we used beagleworks on our apple //e for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

imo assistants can be helpful, but that's usually when using it for functionality that's available locally (i.e. setting timers, making initial calendar entries, stuff like that)

i'm not sure if it's because of api limitations or because they are not that sophisticated, but ime generally any sort of extended functionality just does not work well

one of the useful things siri did was figure out i was setting a 2 minute timer most mornings (for my coffee, you see) and now every morning when i get up there's a "set a 2 minute timer" notification from siri on my lock screen

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

wait wait if 54 CAD/40USD is "surprisingly cheap" how much do these stupid things normally sell for?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

yucking someones yum

everyone please stop using this phrase

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yumming someones yuck is kind of worse though

true, but we could also just not say that either

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1634330899171901440

even better, in this case if you go to full tweet and read the part cut off by SA preview, it was Silicon Valley Bank themselves that lobbied hard for the regulatory rollback to let them be stupid and ultimately cause all this

this is very funny

so is this

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

the bank understander has logged on

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

:hmmyes:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

good. i'm still mad at accenture for the time 3 jobs ago where they would flip data types from guid to text and back again every time they sent us a data model

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I was smart enough to do well in school and also realise at the age of about 17 that I wasn't that smart and settle into a balanced effort/achievement ratio that has served me extremely well and lets me focus on my core life goals: drinking, posting and bideo james

same but it took until i was like 23

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

hobbesmaster posted:

one of the remaining issues with every map software near me is southbound i-35E and I-94: nobody gets the lanes correct for this or that you really should take that exit so you can stay on I-94 without weaving.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZcVBTyxQYrcKH9bu9?g_st=ic

Apple Maps still references mn-110 which hasn’t been a thing since approx 2018. I’ve sent in a couple reports about it but it still hasn’t been fixed.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

theflyingexecutive posted:

does apple pull from openstreetmaps? people have had success just updating that vs trying to poke the rocks that are apple and google maps support

huh ok I’ll try that

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

MononcQc posted:

I managed to stay within the same ~5kg/~10lb for 20 years and I’m 35 now so we’ll see how well it holds up but it’s likely gonna get harder since I do need to exercise more than before, I am a bit stronger and fitter than I was though.

same but 25 years and i'm 41.

def need to exercise more tho

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

infernal machines posted:

if you take all the words a person has said, tokenize them, and then map how frequently they appear near each other, you have captured their soul

:hmmyes:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

rotor posted:

it really pisses me off that there's basically nowhere to touch an iphone where it wont do something, bring bezels back imo, im tired of picking up phones like they're delicate eggs

yeah this but also in UIs on computers. it's slightly less bad on macos because it's usually click to activate then click a thing, but it's getting inconsistent. i don't like clicking on a background window in win10 and oops actually that white area was the edge of the minimize button or whatever. everything is whitespace but that whitespace frequently does stuff

and like for resizing and moving windows there used to be nice distinct title bars and borders for that. bring that back too.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

When smart phones first came out I spent a lot of time and money buying games and other stuff on them, now I can't stand mobile gaming.

If it wasn't for Google maps, WhatsApp and mobile banking I'd go back to a dumb phone.

yep p much same same except slack instead of whatsapp

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i liked 2048 better than 3s because my brain does powers of 2 better than multiples of 3

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Wayne Knight posted:

I don't play games on my phone. It's ok to not stare at your phone for periods of time.

????

what do you do while watching tv then?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

ah ok that's cool then

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i've been a professional software developer for almost ten years and i still barely know what some of those words other programmers use mean

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

LanceHunter posted:

Oh hey, new “worst possible person” just dropped…

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1646220398940307460

quote:

“We had a client who noticed after people came back to the office that there was a substantial drop-off in productivity,” Tsipursky said. “The people who are least engaged and least productive are people who can work remotely but have to work in the office Monday through Friday from 9 to 5.”

lol. lmao.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

at a previous job we had a group that would do board games occasionally after work with some beers, or hang out on the patio (it was a really nice downtown 4th floor patio) with some beers and/or wine.

one of the few things i actually miss now that i work from home

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

5 day shipping should be normal imo. no one really needs a thing in 2 days. and if you do well just go to the store and get it.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Share Bear posted:

best buy also has overperformed throughout covid, w instore pickup too

yeah, that's where i got my m1pro, good experience all around - they had it brand new for ~$100 less than an identically-spec'd apple refurb. it was literally two days before the m2s came out so that's probably why.

best buy's delivery tho, hoo boy. it's bad, folks. i ordered a TV last spring and they gave me free 24 hour delivery, contracted out through "roadie". i watched on the tracking site as the driver drove to about half a block away from my house and marked delivery attempted. took like 4 phone calls with best buy where they kept saying they'd retry delivery before they finally agreed to cancel and refund my order.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

3br? more like 1br and 2 converted closets

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

uhh they increase shareholder value, the most decent thing a company can do

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i got this smart relay thing (https://kb.shelly.cloud/knowledge-base/shelly-1) so i could have a remote-controlled light on my shed. didn't want to run power all the way out there so i put some solar panels on the roof and it works pretty well. i can say "siri turn on the shed light" and it turns on. pretty cool. that's my only smarthome thing.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

BMan posted:

the only home automation thing I would want is one that automatically opens the windows when it detects that doing so would help cool the house

tie this into blinds/shades and a house fan and yeah that would be pretty good

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

this all reminded me of this article from the december 1950 popular mechanics about a guy who did a whole home automation thing

https://archive.org/details/PopularMechanics1950/Popular_Mechanics_12_1950/page/n85/mode/2up?view=theater

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

ADINSX posted:

Angry birds was fun

yeah. so was tiny wings

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Truman Peyote posted:

i use a pc for games because we had a pc when i was a kid, but didn't have consoles

same i guess. i'm very bad at games with a controller.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Celexi posted:

I have symmetric gig and I wouldn't go back to asymmetric, uploads just going instantly is great.

yeah same/agreed, it's great for have my plex server available when i travel

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

infernal machines posted:

'It belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHicyqMML4

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

haveblue posted:

a silent electric outperforms your screaming engine lol

performance doesn't matter, all that matters is, is it fun. and revvy engines are fun.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

electric engines that make the car sound like a spaceship are fun too

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

my sister has a first generation honda insight and i love driving/riding in it because it sounds all sci-fi

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Chris Knight posted:

"wafflephotos", huh

yeah not sure i trust an article that gets such basic facts wrong

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

hailthefish posted:

for vehicle sims you can get 60% of the way to the immersion of VR with a camera that had its filter removed and some IR LEDs taped to your headset with 1% the motion sickness risk so the VR thing really never appealed to me

i've never really understood how this is supposed to work. like ok the camera tracks your head when you move it but the display is fixed in front of you, so if you turn your head are you like side-eyeing the display or what

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

ok cool. thank you all for your prompt and helpful responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

nudgenudgetilt posted:

misread that as "chatgpt 5" rather than "5 very simple questions"

I also did this